Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead
Ctina wrote:
Back home from a brilliant week in Wagrain and attention is now turing to next year! I know weather is an unknown but generally is the area usually fully open in Jan? Might do a solo trip then and another with hubby in March.

Almost always fully open and quiet 2nd/3rd week of Jan, even with the Night Slalom and Downhill races.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brill, thank you!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How is the area currently holding up with the warm temps and rain earlier this week. Still skiable down to village level ?
Looks like temps forecast to drop again by this weekend and perhaps a little snow.

Toying with the idea of having a week in Flachau/Wargrain w/c Sat/Sun 30/31 Mar. with youngest for first week of Easter school hols.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gazzza, Holding up....just! Cooler temps at night and snow due over the weekend possibly even down to the villages. All runs currently open to village level but very soft in the afternoon. OK above mid-level. Ski early and enjoy the apres pm. Some places will start to close down after Easter Monday but still lots to do. Zauchensee should be best after that.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @RedandWhiteFlachau, Do the links to ski over to Zauch via the Panorama Link and down through Flachauwinkl tend to stay open till end of season ? I'd likely be staying in Wagrain if I make it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gazzza, They are scheduled to be open until 7 April. Got your digs sorted? Might be able to give you a deal if you're interested. PM for details.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @RedandWhiteFlachau - I'd have got in touch with you but earlier on this afternoon I stumbled on a late catered package deal to El Tarter with Nielson, and the youngest fancied it as it'll be "a new country" to try, so I've now booked that instead. Don't normally do packages but with just the youngest and myself it will make the trip easy. I will make it to Flachau Wargrain one day ! Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back from a week in Dorfgastein 16-23 March. Certainly had better conditions on several previous trips to the area but still decent skiing to be had. All vilage runs in Dorf and Grossarl closed as were the runs into Angertal from Schlossalm above Bad Hof. Easily solved with a quick download and up the other side onto Stubnerkogel.

No real issues above mid station apart from it getting very warm in the afternoon so early starts required.

Hotel Romerhof excellent as ever and taking the train was a first for us this year. This was an absolute winner.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sitting at Salzburg rail station with the vaunted Austrian (nearly called it German there Razz ) rail system having a bit of a mare, cancellations and major delays due to works.

Whilst waiting I see you need the accent on the e to find this thread in the search.

PS But the Austrians are blaming the delays on the Germans.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ster, Good point about the search. @RedandWhiteFlachau, whilst its correct it might be an idea to amend it to Amade (I think that's what we've done in the past)

Only time I've ever taken a train in Austria it broke down. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, now you tell me about the trains wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ster, sure I've mentioned it before wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, indeed, I think you have. We’ve had a good train journey in Austria before and a decent one in Switzerland but this is a poor start, big delays out of Salzburg and a bus replacement for a short leg at the end.

And then not great weather forecast in the next few days? Can’t always be lucky I guess.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, indeed, I think you have. We’ve had a good train journey in Austria before and a decent one in Switzerland but this is a poor start, big delays out of Salzburg and a bus replacement for a short leg at the end. (And the train diagram seemed the wrong way around).

And then not great weather forecast in the next few days? Can’t always be lucky I guess.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our regular destination has seen the snow washed away, lifts now closed.
https://www.planai.at/en/planai-up-to-date/webcam

This time last year, even after the warmth of 2023, everything was still skiable.
snow report
^ Looking quite snowy today (16-Apr-2024)
ski holidays
A few tips for anyone venturing to Amade or Austria in an EV from UK - put similar post in an ev thread but seems better here.

Driving down to Austria I normally pass through Luxembourg, old habit from diesel days, Lux has cheap-ish diesel and prices at motorway services same as other stations. Nowadays I normally use Tesla Superchargers enroute but a few days ago I needed caffeine so stop at Berchem on A3 Luxembourg. There were some Chargy 350kw chargers so I plugged in for 11 mins. Used credit card to pay, didn't notice the rate displayed at the time. Checking my bank statement since I was charged a mere 5.20 eurs for 22kwh , now that's a bargain, under 24 cents a kwh. The coffee was pretty good and cheap too.

The route to Austria (Calais -> Lillie -> Namur -> Arlon -> Lux -> Zweibrucken -> Landau -> Karlshrue -> Stuttgart -> Ulm -> Munich -> Salzburg -> mountains.

Piles of Tesla SCs on this route, so many I can relax and enjoy the autobahn speeds. Was a gap between Arlon and Karlshrue (via Landau) but end of last year new SC at Zweibrucken - in a out of town shopping centre - be warned gets very busy at weekends and one time I arrived and tw&ts parked and blocking half the SC spaces, though there's also a bank of other high speed chargers in the car park, so used those for an expensive top up.

When in Austria (Schladming) currently no high speed chargers locally, but some were installed last year at local Eni gas station but still not connected and no doubt will be uber expensive when they are. There are however lots of AC chargers, most go up to 22kw but Tesla at least maxes out at 11 for AC. The lift station car parks have lots of chargers, using credit card can pay I think 22 euros for as much as you want - works out okay if you have a near empty battery and go off skiing for the day. Otherwise best prices I have found are a local Spar (AC) or a Lidl in Altenmarkt (on way to Zauchansee) 35 cents with Lidl Plus app and 50kw CSS. I've used the Octopus Electroverse a few times, works well and always seems cheaper than chargemap or shell cards I have but never used. There's a Tesla SC at Flachau if I happen to be that way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy