Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone planning to drive south/south-east on the A10 today.

AVOID THE ENTIRE ROAD.

We’re driving north past a stationary 17km jam and growing back to Hallein.

Our taxi driver will be heading back south with new passengers, he plans to use minor roads.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh no! That’s us today. Although webcams still look ok.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Lozza1uk, Don't worry. I've been out for a couple of laps. Very wet below 1200m but good base on piste. Above that there's bucket loads of snow just waiting to be smashed once the wind drops.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Update: 16.05 23rd Dec 23.

Tracking traffic on google on an hourly basis. A1/A10 Junction to Flachau is showing as 2 hours as opposed to the normal 50 mins. Google maps usually underestimates the queue time so I'd be interested in eye-witness accounts. No evidence of accident delays so this could be the best it gets at peak times. The alternative route via the 159 has shown similar delays. Northbound has been consistent at around 55 mins but then we don't have a weeks worth of guests heading that way.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the updates regarding traffic. I think bus-train-taxi will be the way forward for my group to Flachau (arriving SZG around lunchtime, leaving 1300 ish on return). Though one of the group is arriving and leaving earlier on the Manchester Ryanair flight (0610 from Man on Jan 27th, leaving SZG at 1010 on the 3rd Feb) and this may avoid the worst of the traffic both ways. So if anyone is on the same flight and heading towards Flachau (or could drop off/pick up en route) and might have space for one more in a private transfer please let me know
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow&skifan wrote:

AVOID THE ENTIRE ROAD.

Our taxi driver will be heading back south with new passengers, he plans to use minor roads.

I think I’d have taken the 17km jam over our actual alternative. Failed landing at Salzburg due to wind so we diverted to Munich. After a few hours wait for cases we are now on a coach going via Zell, then via obertaurn, then Slovenia, before dropping us off at Schladming. I don’t dare ask the driver how long this route might take Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just home now in Blighty.

Our Schladming based taxi driver was in conversation with fellow taxi drivers, they said the southbound jam added 3 hours. No accident, just sheer volume of tourist traffic on the first Saturday of the winter sports season proper, hitting the A10 roadworks.

Northbound we sailed through, using the non A10 back road through Huttau.

He said something I think @RedandWhiteFlachau covered earlier in this thread. The resorts, hoteliers and regional politicians are furious, determined that this arrangement won’t last until the planned end in summer 2025.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lozza1uk wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

AVOID THE ENTIRE ROAD.

I think I’d have taken the 17km jam over our actual alternative. Failed landing at Salzburg due to wind so we diverted to Munich. After a few hours wait for cases we are now on a coach going via Zell, then via obertaurn, then Slovenia, before dropping us off at Schladming. I don’t dare ask the driver how long this route might take Shocked

Good skiing/boarding …. you’re in luck from Monday, wall to wall sunshine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Update 24 Dec 17.00.

Slopes are in great condition from Mid-Station upwards and wind is dropping off.

However, as I alluded to yesterday, Google Traffic underestimated the traffic issues. Speaking to many clients today, they all said they spent 3 hours in traffic from the A1/A10 Junction to Flachau. Furthermore, it was NOT possible to get off the A10 from Hallein Southbound. So once you're in you're in.

Any feedback from other Ski Amade guests?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know if it affects travel in this area but here in Tirol we have bans on traffic leaving the motorway on weekends unless they are locals or can show their destination requires them to leave at this particular exit. The idea behind it is when the motorway is slow if everyone leaves the motorway to drive on the minor roads then they quickly become congested too. This then prevents emergency services etc from being able to travel to potential issues thus causing further delays or worse. Frequently the motorways run parallel to the minor roads so it is often a tempting option but due to the nature of the geography of Austria this is often the only alternative route, once you have blocked this entire valleys become effectively cut off.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chris_n, same in amade ..usually in the summer but now winter too cos of the roadworks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is there any real benefit in buying rail tickets from Salzburg to Bad Gastein early and/or fixing the train time? We want to keep flexibility for a flight arrival into Salzburg then to take the train to BG and later maybe a day trip from BG back to Salzburg rtn. As its a short duration train ride and “local” would the price vary much booking now vs on the day?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ster wrote:
Is there any real benefit in buying rail tickets from Salzburg to Bad Gastein early and/or fixing the train time? We want to keep flexibility for a flight arrival into Salzburg then to take the train to BG and later maybe a day trip from BG back to Salzburg rtn. As its a short duration train ride and “local” would the price vary much booking now vs on the day?

Nope, no difference in price unless you're an Austrian with various rail cards. The possible exception for you might be the Family/Group ticket which you can buy from OBB here: https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/freizeit-urlaub/einfach-raus-ticket which for a family of 4 comes in around €55. They are flexible within reason so it doesn't matter if your delayed an hour or two.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, wasn’t aware of the family ticket, cheers!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some routes are free because it's the A10 works. I will find the info. Ange.
snow report
https://salzburg-verkehr.at/wintersport/

Info on trains and buses. Ange
ski holidays
The info from @flangesax, is great but the "free" service timings are really aimed at Salzburgerland folks coming for the day. You might be lucky if your flight times match. They work better if your destination is Snowspace, Schladming or Filzmoos but not so well to the Gastein.
snow report
I wanted to use the bus from the end of my street to Eben and Filzmoss. Annoyingly it's not all buses!

There is also the free bus from the airport to Eben Park n Ride which is worth it if times match up.

Ange
snow conditions
@flangesax, but only 6 buses a day, so very little capacity...and they start at the railway station so probably not empty at the airport

I've decided just to sit in the traffic jam if necessary
ski holidays
It was a 4 hour jam on Sat. Juicy.
snow report
@flangesax, avoiding Saturdays in Jan
ski holidays
Hi All - I’m looking at booking a family ski holiday in late feb/early March. This will be with my partner who won’t ski and my daughter who will be almost 2 and therefore may spend a morning trying skiing. We’ll likely do a shorter week perhaps Tues-Sun.

We’ve been looking at the Kinderhotel in Grossarl (https://www.kinderhotel-waldhof.at/en) as it looks to cater well on everything non-skiing. However I’m struggling to piece together how the skiing will fit in.

I’ve got a few questions on Ski Amade in general:

1. Do I need to be worried about the traffic from Salzburg? Part of the appeal of this holiday was a quick ~1hr drive/taxi from the airport. Based on some of the comments re: roadworks - do I need to rethink?

2. What would a ski itinerary for Wed-Sat look like? I’d aim to do some shorter days exploring some of the resorts and perhaps line up a guide for some off piste if the conditions were looking favourable.

I am assuming I’d want to get over to Bad Gastein and Schladming for some of the trip. How easy is this? Is a car a big enabler here or are the bus links reliable?

3. Any recommendations to beat skiing alone? I’m used to holidaying with a group of similar skiers and this will be my first holiday as effectively a solo skier. I’d had the idea of trying to link up with SCoGB but they don’t look to have a resort rep around Ski Amade. Anything similar I am overlooking?

4. Finally, any other info that might be useful inc. info on the hotel, or any other advice.

Thanks v much!
snow report
@flangesax, thanks Ange, will take a look, will be travelling in late March/April so assume the roadworks will be over by then
snow conditions
@ster, nope..till 2025
latest report
@holidayloverxx, I thought that pace of works only happened here, maybe train it is.
snow report
Probably needs a couple more transfer Saturdays to make a proper assessment but was there any suggestion last week (today by the time anyone reads this) that the new Salzburg Airport - Eben Park and Ride bus was able to sneak past any of the traffic jam on the A10? I am still thinking we will end up getting to Flachau by train in late January but the bus service would be so much easier as there will be 10 of us.
latest report
@toyah807, buses can use the hard shoulder but there is no hard shoulder in the tunnels
snow report
google currently showing 1 hr 32mins from the airport to Flachau (worst its been all morning) - wonder what its like in reality?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, that is the sort of thing putting me in a quandary! I keep checking the journey time and getting tempted to try to book a transfer or trust the bus to at least shave off some of the car journey time using the hard shoulder where possible. That said, with the amount of orange and red showing on Google maps I would be surprised if a 90 minute journey time was accurate right now
snow report
clearvision wrote:
Hi All - I’m looking at booking a family ski holiday in late feb/early March. This will be with my partner who won’t ski and my daughter who will be almost 2 and therefore may spend a morning trying skiing. We’ll likely do a shorter week perhaps Tues-Sun.

We’ve been looking at the Kinderhotel in Grossarl (https://www.kinderhotel-waldhof.at/en) as it looks to cater well on everything non-skiing. However I’m struggling to piece together how the skiing will fit in.

I’ve got a few questions on Ski Amade in general:

1. Do I need to be worried about the traffic from Salzburg? Part of the appeal of this holiday was a quick ~1hr drive/taxi from the airport. Based on some of the comments re: roadworks - do I need to rethink?

Tuesday will be fine, minimal delay. Sunday not as busy as Saturday but it depends on mode of transport. See other posts on transfers.

2. What would a ski itinerary for Wed-Sat look like? I’d aim to do some shorter days exploring some of the resorts and perhaps line up a guide for some off piste if the conditions were looking favourable.

I am assuming I’d want to get over to Bad Gastein and Schladming for some of the trip. How easy is this? Is a car a big enabler here or are the bus links reliable?

If you're a good skier you can probably ski all of the Snowspace in two days, leaving you two more to go somewhere else. But if you want "shorter" ski days then Kleinarl may not be the best base. Altenmarkt/Radstadt or Flachau will give you better access and I'd recommend a car to cut down on Bus/Train faff. If you don't want to hire a car then Radstadt has the best public transport links. For Off-Piste either in Snowspace or Schladming you should hire a guide for a morning. I might be available!

3. Any recommendations to beat skiing alone? I’m used to holidaying with a group of similar skiers and this will be my first holiday as effectively a solo skier. I’d had the idea of trying to link up with SCoGB but they don’t look to have a resort rep around Ski Amade. Anything similar I am overlooking?

There's a few SH kicking around here and we're out most days, drop us a message nearer the time.

4. Finally, any other info that might be useful inc. info on the hotel, or any other advice.

Have a look at Hotel Central in Flachau, nothing but good feedback from clients
. https://www.central-flachau.com/

Thanks v much!
snow conditions
Just driving past the roadworks now heading back to the airport. It’s probably taken us 5 mins in the coach to get to the back of the queue - looks horrendous.
Back of the queue ( virtually stationary) is back to the turning for Hallein.
ski holidays
I'm due in Flachau on 13 Jan from Salzburg and getting in early. For me, the train is the best option. I'm looking at the train to St Johann and soon after arriving there is a bus (520) to Reitdorf Finger and another (522) to get me to Flachau Ennshof. There's also the free bus from Bischofshofen around that time, but only to Achterjet. If I choose the second option, do the local bus (Achterjet to Starjet) mind people with luggage?
ski holidays
@Saj2111, i don't imagine they will care. If they do give me call and I'll pick you up if I'm in Flachau
snow report
@Saj2111, Not sure why you're heading to St Johann, you should be able to get the train to Radstadt and then hop on the 522 from the station. Get off at Tauernhoff for the 100m walk to the Ennshof. No issues with baggage on the Ski Bus. F3 to Star Jet (from Achter Jet) stops at Taurenhof too.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I'm trying to get over to the race at Zauchensee and spend the rest of the day there and work my way back to Flachau in the afternoon. Hoping to drop my luggage, get my skis out, bus to Flachauwinkl and ski down to Zauchansee, all by 10:30. St.J or Bis are my only options unless I get an earlier train around 6am.
snow conditions
@Saj2111, zee you in Zauch then, all being well
ski holidays
@Saj2111, Good luck. If you're at the Hotel Ennshof and not Chalet Ennshof then it is the next stop Flachau Ortsmitte. First Ski buses start their loop at 8am. I'm away that week but enjoy your holiday.
ski holidays
Lovely little dump last night. 15-20cm of fresh up top. Still a little heavy but it helps. Maybe more at the weekend depending on which weather forecast you read.
snow report
Have been watching the traffic thread with interest and looking for some advice on transport please. 3 adults due in Wagrain Sunday 4 February landing in Salzburg just after 17.00. Departing Salzburg Sunday 11 February around 18.00. Given the roadworks and potential for delays - provisionally looking at private transfer inbound to Wagrain - any suggestions? And outbound to get train from St Johann to Salzburg. Does this make sense ? Grateful for any suggestions.
Many thanks.
ski holidays
@timmythedog, neu touristik for the transfer. Sunday should be OK...accidents notwithstanding.

https://www.neutouristik.at/flughafentransfer/

No idea about the return. I don't do the trains
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy