Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Dog passport

Poster: A snowHead
My friendly French vet gave me one for for my dog, despite me not having a French residence, not used it yet.The dog had to have another French rabies vaccine to get it.
Do you just hand it over at Dover, and then a quick check of the microchip?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nevis1003, yes, and there no need for any other documentation. Only get the rabies booster done in Europe though not the UK. Also check when it expires as the first vaccine in France is only valid for 1 year, and our vet didn't extend Odin's to 3 years when she did it in January. Lola's was when same vet gave a booster last March though so not sure what was going on there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that Hells Bells, I just checked the vaccine after your advice, it is valid for 3 years now, and I will get it done in France when due for booster. maybe 3 years because it was not his first.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nevis1003, it wasn't Odin's either, that was done in the UK before Christmas, but who knows. All that matters is that he has a passport and we'll be in Serre next Christmas anyway in time to get it done.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nevis1003, we’ll done. That’ll make life easier for the next 3 years.
Just to reiterate what @Hells Bells, said, your UK vet can’t add anything to your passport so make sure you get a rabies booster in the EU before the expiry date. Go even a day over and you’re effectively starting again.
And don’t forget you still need your french vet to record the tapeworm treatment 1-5d before entering the UK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nevis1003, that's a good move. Out of interest, is your dog registered in iCAD, the French dog registration system? This is normally a requirement before a vet will issue a passport.

Also, who and where is your French vet? It might be useful for other Snowheads who want to try and get an EU passport for their pets.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sno trax, iCAD is important, I wouldn't say critical but our vet filled the registration form out incorrectly for one dog and a month or so later we had a letter from the Hautes Alpes prefecture to that effect.

The vet would know you're not full-time residents, so they don't bother.

Basically, you're fudging the system as you're not residents, but the chance of anything serious happening is highly unlikely.

Driving around on UK plates as a resident is another story rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sno trax, not sure how they would complete an iCAD application if there is no French address.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, good point. In which case, it does sound like there are still vets who are willing to issue passports without an iCAD registration. Our regular vet wouldn't issue a passport until we had actually received the documents from iCAD.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's a French dog with a passport

would a British Bulldog get one?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We got our pet passport from Clinique Vétérinaire du Chiriac in Albertville. https://clinique-veterinaire-du-chiriac.business.site. Very lovely vet. She did everything on one visit, including sorting the transfer of the microchip (i think we had to fill in a form, send it and confirmation then came through by post). We do have a french address, so in the sense it didn’t seem like a fudge. This was in the early days-summer 2021- and she did get the rabies bit wrong. She just entered the date of the U.K. jab on the passport, which worked for about 6 crossings, until it was spotted at Calais last summer. Thankfully a quick visit (cash only!) to a vet in Calais sorted the problem.
Since then we’ve mostly used a practice in Moutiers for the return worming pill https://clinique3v.wixsite.com/clinique3v, but the Albertville practice just seems nicer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The vet registered Casper on Icad, she used the address at which we were staying. She didn't know if this would be accepted and I had to wait 10 minutes until it went through on her computer. She did explain that if she wasn't able to do this then she couldn't give him the passport.
As I said above he was then given a French rabies jab valid until 2026 which I will ensure is replaced with another French one in due course.
I haven't used the passport yet as he came back on the AHC so I will post if there are any problems in due course.
In summer, on climbing trips, I buy my dog's tick treatment, worm tablets, in France because I think the vets there have good local knowledge of what's best, and that is why I think she offered the passport, I didn't actually ask for it. Also, a very nice person.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dogs passport worked fine, so there is no need for french address if you can find a friendly vet. Gendarmes didn't even look at it, only checked by the ferry company. Rock climbing conditions are great just now in the Ecrins.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nevis1003, I am sure ICad is only really required if you are staying in France for more than 3 months. There was some grumpiness from the French authorities who said pet passports shouldn't be issued for UK pets without Icad in place. However, I am not sure if there is any basis for that in EU law. Individual countries seem to have their own interpretation of it. Our French vet was OK to issue Lola's and transfer over the information from UK to EU passport back in 2021, but by 2023, Odin needed a new rabies Jab despite it being done just weeks previously to travel out .We travelled back into France with both of them for the first time without issue but I know others who had problems at the tunnel with the same details as Lola. On both occasions we returned to the UK with a valid AHC so passport was not needed, although Odin's was checked by staff at Eurotunnel to make sure it was valid for our next trip out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've recently sorted an Italian passport for our puppy and the requirement is simple - the owner must be legally resident in Italy.
She travelled out (Dover Calais) in May on an AHC (£190 ouches) and used the passport (about €45) for a quick round trip back in June. Nobody asked about the AHC.
latest report
I think the price of an AHC is a scandal, it's essentially the same thing the French vet gives you to come back for 40-50 euros. Rip off Britain.
snow report
@Nemisis, @nevis1003, Abbeywell vets in Folkestone do an AHC for a fee of £99 plus £12(?) for each additional dog (as up to 5 can go on one AHC). There's someone in Havant that does similar. Our Pets at Home did Odin's for £135, as we didn't have time to go to Abbeywell on that occasion. @nevis1003, although it is essentially the same, it is far more time-consuming to complete. So many pages to cross out, fill in, stamp, initial and sign.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Unfortunately, She Who Expects To Be Obeyed wants to have everything cut and dried in advance and staging through Folkestone during a journey from the West Country doesn't comply!
snow report
@Nemisis, I can empathise with that, and that is why I do that sort of thing myself Laughing Laughing Everything was done by email apart from picking up the certificate which took less than 10 minutes. We did it on our way from Durham. Chip and passport checked, AHC signed, and away we went. We were quoted over £250 by our own vet, and they now don't do them at all.
snow report
@Nemisis, same here, we're sorting ours tomorrow ahead of our journey on Saturday at a greatly inflated price vs the Folkestone option.
ski holidays
@swskier, now you have Austrian residency you should be able to get an Austrian dog passport. Might need a new rabies jab but other than that should be straight forward.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, that's the plan, once we're out and registered with a vets!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy