Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone done any skiing on hintertux glacier in may or even in summer? What's it like? Enough to have a decent enough trip?
What is the closest resort to stay in with easy access to the ski area?

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In May, especially early May, it's generally very good. Big glacier area (as big as many small resorts) with a big variety of terrain, good off-piste and a good park.

The only place to stay with direct access to the lifts is Hintertux itself. Anywhere else and you'll need to drive up or take the shuttle bus every day, although this is actually pretty easy. I've stayed as far down as Lannersbach with no dramas. Stayed in Mayrhofen once and drove up every day. Wouldn't recommend it. Mayrhofen is dead at that time of year and, on that occasion at least, frequent roadworks and tree-felling made driving up and down a frustrating experience.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, thank you for the reply. I don't mind getting the shuttle bus, I'm used to end of season skiing in avoriaz and have to get the shuttle from morzine.
I'm just after a resort with a few bars, good choices and writing a reasonable distance to the glacier with easy access
Is hintertux open all year round or did it close in may?
Thank you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi @Andy2809,
I've skiied the Hintertux Gletcher in May, it was a long time ago though .. 1993.
We enjoyed it in the morning before the snow turned mushy.
We decided then, that it was the most resort like glacier and our favourite in Austria.

It was a bonkers weekend though.
We were driving up to the Austrain border at Kufstien. It was the the first time there was a stau at the frontier all winter. So it was the first time the motor overheated.
By the time we got past the customs post the head gasket was blown Sad
We had to stop the night in Worgl before the car rental opened in the morning as it was Ascension Day public holiday.
Next day we looked forward renting a small hatchback that we could fit the skis in.
But... there were no cars available as it was a bank holiday Mad
So ... we had to rent a lorry Madeye-Smiley ... well a small 7.5 tonne lorry.
Did the job .. and got us up to the Gletcher with plenty of room for the skis.

Where to stay?
Well we know that the best place to party around there is Kitzbuel, OK .. its a bit of a spin but worth it.
The crew of The Londoner let us stay in the bunk rooms of their hostel for a few Shillings.
I know I had to get up extremely early in the morning after going to bed at 4:20am.
I cant remember exactly what happened the rest of the weekend.
I think I had to catch the train back to Nuremberg and go to work that friday afternoon rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been dozens of times off season, one night stays generally stayed in Hintertux but can be dead in the evening. Longer stays, stayed in Mayrhofen as there is more choice and bars, as long as the road up is ok and you have a car. Will also be quiet though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andy2809 wrote:
Hi, thank you for the reply. I don't mind getting the shuttle bus, I'm used to end of season skiing in avoriaz and have to get the shuttle from morzine.
I'm just after a resort with a few bars, good choices and writing a reasonable distance to the glacier with easy access
Is hintertux open all year round or did it close in may?
Thank you.

Hintertux is open all the year round. Hintertux itself has only very limited accommodation and as previously said will be very quiet in the evening. Most people stay a bit further down the valley, I've stayed a couple of times in Lanersbach and used the free shuttle bus. Lanersbach has more accommodation and a few bars and restaurants. I've stayed at B&Bs e.g the good value Alpenrose, to the more expensive half board Hotel Jäger.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Andy2809, Hintertux is good until end of may, possibly june. July probably scetchy and usually downright miserable in August..October. Of course you can always get lucky and it dumps in summer, but generally there are better things to do than ski
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I do wonder how long they can keep the all year skiing up. Was up there Feb 22 for the first time in 20 years. Was a shocker to see how much of the glacier has gone
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy