Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bumped to La Plagne from La Tania, do we accept?

Poster: A snowHead
Due to GCSE years and a limited budget we booked super early for half term Feb24, a package with Crystal to La Tania (3V). Of course, my unusual efficiency is being punished, and they rang me today to say they can’t provide the La Tania holiday and have moved us to La Plagne (Front de Neige which I think is Plagne Centre?). I need to decide to accept or cancel.

The apartment is actually nicer, LP is higher than LT so less chance of being rained on (thank you Feb22 half term). But I’m not sure about LP as a resort for skiing versus Courcheval. Night life is not an issue, we just ski, restaurant on slope, and self cater in the evening before crashing out.

As a family we are all at least competent intermediates and have skied many many times before. One cautious child likes blues and easy reds but is getting braver (technique is good though), so they’d probably prefer LP. The rest of us like more intermediate reds. Depends on conditions of course, but I’m worried we might get a bit bored at LP.

I’ve skied 3V to death as also did a season in Meribel in my youth, so somewhere new might be fun. But will we get bored with all the La Plagne blue motorways? I haven’t been there since I was our kids age, so can’t remember what it’s like, but seem to recall there were a lot of long schusses.

Any thoughts gratefully received!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you've covered most of the pros / cons of the two locations.

One thing to be wary of about La Plagne is half term lift queues, which have a bad reputation. It's a while since I've been at that time of year, so hopefully someone else can give a more informed opinion.

I think Courchevel is slightly better for red run skiing than La Plagne, but they are both decent. Personally I like to try new places!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, good point to think about the half term queues. I think Feb24 will be a massively busy half term as well, with lots of nationalities out.

I’m torn! I guess I’m wondering just how ‘easy’ the LP skiing is. If it’s challenging blues, and a few reds we could be ok. If it’s lots of easy motorways, and mostly easy reds, I think we’d be regretting it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What are the price differences eg accommodation, lift pass, kit hire?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Plagne : There is definitely good skiing to be had. Challenging blues and (a little more than a) few very nice red slopes such as les sources.
1. It's however not comparable to 3V in extent of domain nor in prevalence of red slopes.
2. The glacier is really nice for advanced terrain. Mostly more advanced than red.
3. And it gets bottle neck busy at central places of the skiing area such as in Bellecôte during February. ( Obviously no one is skiing between 12.15 and 13.45, even in the busy periods)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Obviously no one is skiing between 12.15 and 13.45, even in the busy periods

Note this - the best time to ski at half term!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Julie - that’s helpful and more encouraging on the skiing front. Have searched up a couple of La Plagne half term threads though and it sounds slightly terrifying! We tend to stop for lunch as well, so that sounds out. Hum.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The lower runs in La Plagne to have a preponderance of (actually quite satisfying) blues but there are some challenging runs as well, particularly on the glacier area. And of course you have Les Arcs as a linked resort, though that is a little bit like skiing in Val Thorens when you are based in La Tania - perfectly possible but you have to be organised.

The lunchtime comment applies to most of the big French resorts. At half term it is best to find a restaurant for a quick lunch at 5 to 12 and then get back out on the slopes, or take coffee about 11.30 with a snack and hold off lunch till near 2 - simply because the slopes are less busy 12.30-1.30 and the restaurants will have long queues.

I have to say if I had "skied 3V to death" I would want to explore other resorts - there is a lot of fun in the discovery. 3V has an iconic status as a ski resort, but it isn't so much better you wouldn't want to explore La Plagne-Les Arcs and Tignes-Val d'Isere as well, leaving aside the charm of smaller places which is rather lacking from the biggest domains.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Residence Le Brittania, La Tania seems to be available for that week ?? (for 4 S/C) ; maybe you could swop to that ??
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chaletgirl002, Yes, accept. I'd be far more peeved if it was the other way around. We'll be in the same situation with GCSEs next season. If your GCSE candidate is anything like ours, you can't keep up any more anyway!

Because of no SFaB this Easter (VT and 3V), we went to La Plagne instead with some other Snowhead families and it made a nice change. The lowest parts are the same height as La Tania so you'll get the same snow conditions and the rest is higher than most of the Courchevel side of the 3V. There's as much variety of runs in La Plagne as there are in Courchevel and some of the blues are quite red-ish. If you're hankering to the miles, get the full Paradiski pass and travel round Les Arcs as well. There'll be queues everywhere at half-term so it makes little difference in reality and the older slow lifts in La Plagne have been modernised in the last few years.

Just don't leave Vilaroger as late as we did and miss the last lift home Blush
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I have to say if I had "skied 3V to death" I would want to explore other resorts

++1. I'd go to Italy!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chaletgirl002, been to both plenty of times. See list of TR's usually Christmas/Easter but we did LP HT 2022. Certainly queues were liveable though I'd definitely forego long lunches to make the best of the quietist period.

Plenty of challenging/interesting skiing.

One decision you will have to make is whether to get a LP only lift pass or a Paradiski (LP & Les Arcs) lift pass. Lots of different views on that one but if you like to clock up mileage and keen to explore then I would go Paradiski. I love both Paradiski and 3V ski areas - both have lots to go at.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
went La Plagne this half term, yes queues are lengthy but not really anything longer than 10-15 mins at its worst at certain pinch points/times

from 12 to 2 pretty much no queues

lots of good restaurants on mountain

i would go back to LP as we all enjoyed it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chaletgirl002, The ski areas of Courcheval and La Plagne are not that dissimilar. Afterall you can see one from the other. From my reccolection the motorway cruising is a bit better in Courcheval and it certainly has a more challenging piste in the Grand Couloir. It is tougher than any piste in La Plagne but thee are some tough blacks in La Plagne off the Bellecote. The level of red pistes IMHO is about the same.

I've never skied either of the two areas in the 4 weeks of mid winer holidays but have skied over new year. Yes, La Plagne can have some huge queues but it also has some huge lifts like the 8 seater Arpette.

It's interesting to read the comments about lunch time. I suppose people are more keen on long lunches during the school holidays but as someone who avoids those weeks it doesn't seem any quieter over that period to me in Les Arcs.

Personnaly, I would take the bump and explore the Paradiski area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:

I've never skied either of the two areas in the 4 weeks of mid winer holidays but have skied over new year. Yes, La Plagne can have some huge queues but it also has some huge lifts like the 8 seater Arpette.

Arpette is one of th eproblem areas. Half hour queues after lunch at half term. 8 man chairs are wasted in France as they never seem to be able to fill them.

ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Arpette is one of the problem areas.

The opposite of whatever a sweetspot is, for Arpette, is around 3/3:30 when people are returning to Les Coches, Montchavin and Les Arcs via the Vanoise Express in addition to those wanting to use the popular blues and fun park back into Belle Plagne and Plagne Bellecote. There isn't really an alternative because if you get the Roche De Mio bubble (antiquated and often queuey in it's own right) you have only a couple of convulated, challenging and time consuming options. A bit of thought years ago could have provided a second option. That said Arpette services things well 95% of the time. And if you aren't staying in Les Coches, Montchavin and Les Arcs avoidable.

davidof wrote:
8 man chairs are wasted in France as they never seem to be able to fill them.

Much discusses. Personally I think at busy times/weeks the lifties could be more proactive in filling chairs but the French seem to accept it the same way they seem to accept hours of queueing in traffic getting to resort on the Saturday.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
davidof wrote:
Arpette is one of the problem areas.

The opposite of whatever a sweetspot is, for Arpette, is around 3/3:30 when people are returning to Les Coches, Montchavin and Les Arcs via the Vanoise Express in addition to those wanting to use the popular blues and fun park back into Belle Plagne and Plagne Bellecote

for us, at peak half term, it was ok until around 2pm when drunken skiers started slip slidin' out of the bars and restaurants.

Overall la Plagne copes pretty well with insane half term crowds and I wouldn't be afraid to holiday there but as you say, a bit of thought could route around the arpette / colossus pinch points.
snow report
chaletgirl002 wrote:
As a family we are all at least competent intermediates and have skied many many times before. One cautious child likes blues and easy reds but is getting braver (technique is good though), so they’d probably prefer LP. The rest of us like more intermediate reds. Depends on conditions of course, but I’m worried we might get a bit bored at LP.

I’ve skied 3V to death as also did a season in Meribel in my youth, so somewhere new might be fun. But will we get bored with all the La Plagne blue motorways? I haven’t been there since I was our kids age, so can’t remember what it’s like, but seem to recall there were a lot of long schusses.

With the huge caveat that I've never been to La Plagne, either I'm missing something, or you're massively overthinking this. On the face of it, the idea that in one of the most popular ski resorts in the world, in a linked ski-area advertising 425km of pistes (including 79 red runs), there might not be enough skiing for 'at least competent intermediates', is something I just can't get my head round. Similarly, if you've 'skied 3V to death', why are you reluctant to consider somewhere else (and indeed why do you keep going back)?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 26-04-23 12:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Must admit, as much as I don't have a problem with skiing the 3V's to death as I love it too it seems amiss not to have been to Paradiski also - that as many of the same attributes.

@chaletgirl002, I think fate may have smiled on you here Laughing Laughing
snow report
It's very much a "like for like" swap. I ski both regularly. Tons of terrain in both of all levels if you start exploring a bit. Do go to Les Arcs and all the extremities when in La Plagne - then you will do something different every day. Much to like/love about Paradiski just like 3vs.
ski holidays
IME. I'm with those who think that the Paradiski is no "Poor relation" to the 3V. If competent skiers who like to explore, I would advise getting the full area Lift Pass - which also gives handy access to express lanes to bypass the queues on some lifts.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 26-04-23 13:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

Not quite on-topic, but this strikes me as something that could easily be ameliorated by the widespread implementation of singles' queues.
snow conditions
jmr59 wrote:
davidof wrote:

Not quite on-topic, but this strikes me as something that could easily be ameliorated by the widespread implementation of singles' queues.

Nope.

The problem is that groups of people insist on sitting on the same chair together. And they can get themselves in a right mess sorting this out -leading to chairs going unused or under capacity.

Now my kids are teenagers we don't give a monkeys - we just grab a spot. We spend the whole week together - 10 minutes sitting alone doesn't, or shouldn't, hurt.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would advise getting the full area Lift Pass

Just be careful with this phrase. A full area pass in Les Arcs will be for the full Les Arcs area, not just the 2000 valley for example. Look for Paradiski or essentials pass. Paradiski is two ski areas linked by a single lift.

Paradiski doesn't have the long high quality reds that come down from Mont Vallon, but then the 3vs doesn't have hard reds like Claire Blanc.
snow report
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:

2. The glacier is really nice for advanced terrain. Mostly more advanced than red.

Does this still hold true from next saison onwards? If I understand it correctly, the new "glacier" gondola will top out on the Plateau de Rochu.

Other than that one should imho consider that La Tania is much better placed than Plagne Centre. Centre to Vanoise Express and back means seven lifts, nine to go to Vallandry. Half term this will take a long time, as those are the most infamous lift lines (other than the old Bellecôte gondola).
snow conditions
Quote:

Centre to Vanoise Express and back means seven lifts

two of those are rather short rope drags
ski holidays
I virtually never go up the glacier when in La Plagne
ski holidays
Tristero wrote:
Other than that one should imho consider that La Tania is much better placed than Plagne Centre. Centre to Vanoise Express and back means seven lifts, nine to go to Vallandry. Half term this will take a long time, as those are the most infamous lift lines (other than the old Bellecôte gondola).

Not sure I'd agree there is much difference. I mean how many lifts would it take to/from Courch 1650, Mont Vallon, VT.

Basically, they are both big ski areas that take a bit of getting around. I would say the real outposts in Paradiski are Montalbert or Villaroger.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Plagne always seems to get the longest lift queues at half term so I'd avoid it. I think Les Arcs would be better.

La Rosiere also worth considering as you can avoid the crowds by skiing over to Italy...but I would always choose to stay in La Rosiere as there is a better choice of high end self catering there.
ski holidays
I think people are forgetting that @chaletgirl002 has been offered Plagne Centre as the alternative to La Tania. Les Arcs, La Rosiere, and Italy are not on offer!

I would take it.
snow report
Layne wrote:
jmr59 wrote:
davidof wrote:

The problem is that groups of people insist on sitting on the same chair together. And they can get themselves in a right mess sorting this out -leading to chairs going unused or under capacity.

I agree on the cause of the problem: I'd have thought that a singles queue would be a good way of sourcing people to fill all those empty chairs and seats. It certainly seems easier and more likely to happen than expecting the lifties to be more proactive in ushering people forward, and much more likely than the solution I occasionally fantasize about: anyone who leaves an empty seat in front of them gets pulled out of the queue and has their lift pass deactivated for 30 minutes.
snow conditions
j b wrote:
I think people are forgetting that @chaletgirl002 has been offered Plagne Centre as the alternative to La Tania. Les Arcs, La Rosiere, and Italy are not on offer!

I would take it.

The 'leave it' option does not preclude the option of booking something somewhere else (possibly with another TO), which might be in any of those places.
ski holidays
@chaletgirl002, I'd definitely cancel and rebook with others - if they can not deliver against the original booking they should offer a a full refund, go where you want to go not where they want you to go.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@chaletgirl002, I'd definitely cancel and rebook with others - if they can not deliver against the original booking they should offer a a full refund, go where you want to go not where they want you to go.

Hear, hear.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:

There are clearly different views here. It depends on how favourable the price is, and the likelihood of being able to match it elsewhere.
latest report
chaletgirl002 wrote:
... I’m not sure about LP as a resort for skiing versus Courchevel...

IMHO 3 Valleys much better than LP/PS. Nowhere near as many bottlenecks, if you really do know the 3V's you can cover territory easily, some world class skiing in 3V's as opposed to "okay" skiing. Some great skiing in Les Arcs, but that's across the valley in the Vanoise Express which can be busy, and a trek from LP Centre.

Stick to your guns, go to LT. snowHead
ski holidays
@chaletgirl002, yes I would take it too. I skiied 3V for many years (about 5 years in a row), and now am doing the same with Paradiski, and love the area.

Layne wrote:

One decision you will have to make is whether to get a LP only lift pass or a Paradiski (LP & Les Arcs) lift pass. Lots of different views on that one but if you like to clock up mileage and keen to explore then I would go Paradiski. I love both Paradiski and 3V ski areas - both have lots to go at.

This is the key question for you - having the full area pass opens up a massive area. There's been a few comments about there being less reds in LP, which is true - but there's lots of fantastic wide reds through trees in Les Arcs. When we go to LP we normally spend 3 of the 6 days in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
@chaletgirl002, damn…I love the tree lined runs back to La Tania at the end of a long day. But I’ve skied both and there’s plenty to enjoy at La Plagne. Bottlenecks are grim but early start and early return gets the hours in without the mad queues. Les Arcs has some beautiful terrain.
snow conditions
Cancel the lot and either book in Italy or Austria without the HT lift queue issues or go to Valloire or Valcenis and save some dosh.
latest report
Crystal have just phoned to say they have moved us from Grand Bois in la Tania to Le Britannia in la Tania for January 2024. They have lost their contract with Grand Bois apparently.
Cheerful helpful phone call from them.... even when they said, with no irony, that they would not be charging us for making the change to the holiday!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy