Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan - Hokkaido skiing questions

Poster: A snowHead
brovert wrote:
@Mike Pow Good point yes I think so.

How do you go off-piste?

In deep powder?

In the trees?

More often than not both of the above?

Is that what you're looking for from an Hokkaido ski experience?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are right to listen to @Mikepow. He has a huge amount of experience. One question you asked was about escaping tourists. You will not do this at any time staying in Hirafu or Kitanomine. These are the local hills for young Australian, Hong Kong and Singaporian boarders who like to traverse across the fall line to avoid turning. Hire a car, be prepared to dig it out in the morning, and there are big free car parks next to the main lifts in every Hokkaido resort which is better than doing a hike up from your accommodation. Also, March can be getting warm so focus more in the experience than the skiing - it got ridiculously warm this year at that time - as you would with any long-haul destination. Oharu is special if you are ok with seafood and is very Japanese with many "local" resorts around Sapporo. Teine is worth visiting for the Olympic infrastructure alone. If going toward Niseko/Rusutsu think about staying in Kutchan, if Furano stay in Furano itself rather than Kitanomine. Asahikawa is a personal favourite - lots of small ski stations around and a fantastic Japanese city with loads to see and do. Oharu is probably the best though for the amount of time you have.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I missed Asahikawa so far. Looking at the map and all those small ski stations around whet my appetite. An idea is brewing inside my head for circa 10-27 January of either Asahikawa+Otaru or Nozawa Onsen + Myoko Onsen. Will hire a car as usual (new driver’s permit translation is on its way to me).
Any tips on Asahikawa’s accommodation, dinner spots and local hills is much appreciated. Hopefully useful as a consideration for the OP.

Flying directly to Tokyo and driving 4-5 hours to Nozawa is more or less the same as a short connecting flight to Sapporo and 1 hour drive to Otaru or 2.5 hour drive to Asahikawa.

With a bit of planning and preparation jet lag is not an issue. Plenty of advice online of how to prepare and what to do on a plane depending on a time of traveling.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, @22 dropout Skiing in Japan is on our bucket list. Never really got on with trees but being able to take advantage of any powder days would be a bonus. Grew up in North East NA so used to concept of driving to local resorts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brovert wrote:
@Mike Pow, @22 dropout Skiing in Japan is on our bucket list. Never really got on with trees but being able to take advantage of any powder days would be a bonus. Grew up in North East NA so used to concept of driving to local resorts.

You'll definitely experience more skiing PLUS culture if you stay on Honshu and ski the areas around Myoko, Hakuba, Nozawa Onsen

Read cool architecture, castles, snow monkeys, possibly some festivals

Outside of a few temples and shrines in Otaru and Sapporo, Hokkaido is an architectural wasteland

It's form and function over aesthetics

That being said, Hokkaido gives you an enormous sense of space and wilderness if you get on the road and explore

Lots of bird life to enjoy out East and up North - eagles, cranes

If you're happy to move around and/or day trip from a central base then you'll have a very different experience in and around Central Hokkaido

You don't have to fly into New Chitose airport. You can fly to Asahikawa

Base out of Asahikawa or do multiple stops in a circular route from Asahikawa

You have the big players of Furano and Tomamu along with lots of smaller ski areas which are good for a day or two

Kamui, Pippu, Sahoro, Mt Racey, Kamoidake, Hidaka Kokusai, Katsurazawa Kokusetsu, Nayoro Piyashiri, Nukabira Gensenkyo

And don't dismiss Asahidake

I went with Nerys and we skied the fringe powder right beside the one groomed run all day with little to no competition. And the views and experience of seeing the steam blasting out of the volcano are superb

You'll see less foreigners but the experience will be more challenging - less English spoken in the sticks

But a smile and a few key words will get you far. It's worked for me
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mooney058 wrote:
I missed Asahikawa so far. Looking at the map and all those small ski stations around whet my appetite. An idea is brewing inside my head for circa 10-27 January of either Asahikawa+Otaru or Nozawa Onsen + Myoko Onsen. Will hire a car as usual (new driver’s permit translation is on its way to me).
Any tips on Asahikawa’s accommodation, dinner spots and local hills is much appreciated. Hopefully useful as a consideration for the OP.

Flying directly to Tokyo and driving 4-5 hours to Nozawa is more or less the same as a short connecting flight to Sapporo and 1 hour drive to Otaru or 2.5 hour drive to Asahikawa.

With a bit of planning and preparation jet lag is not an issue. Plenty of advice online of how to prepare and what to do on a plane depending on a time of traveling.

Nerys and I stayed in the Court Hotel, but there are plenty of hotels of a similar standard right in the city for under £100 per room per night

Can't remember any particular restaurant - there are so many, lots of variety, much cheaper then resort prices

For skiing, see post above

Kamui, Pippu under 1 hr

The rest between 1-2hr drive but all doable as day trips
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, salivating and knees trembling reading all ski spot names - hahaha. Now the difficult part - breaking the news to missus … wish me luck.
Did not consider flying to Asahikawa instead of Sapporo. Will check details.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Now the difficult part - breaking the news to missus … wish me luck
Good luck @mooney058 Very Happy Is she:
a. A fellow skier, who doesn't fancy Japan?
b. A non-skier who won't be very chuffed about you nipping there on your own?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Now the difficult part - breaking the news to missus … wish me luck
Good luck @mooney058 Very Happy Is she:
a. A fellow skier, who doesn't fancy Japan?
b. A non-skier who won't be very chuffed about you nipping there on your own?

B unfortunately
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mooney058, I'm in the same boat. Two trips under the belt, next one in planning. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Call it a reconnaissance for a future trip with her, as you will almost certainly want to return.

I say again, @MikePow is right. I know hard core skiers that have been to Hokkaido and come back disappointed. Hokkaido is real Japan, but not what you see on TV. It is a relatively newly populated island with a harsh winter climate where you farm in summer and shift snow in winter, surrounded by dormant & active volcanos, and Russia is a stones' throw away. You are unlikely to have the skiing experience of your life without the help of a guide, a tour group or some good research. For the latter Powderhounds is accurate and Rob at Hokkaido Wilds is an amazing backcountry resource.

When in Asahikawa we stay at the JR Inn. It is dead central, has undercover parking, is above a mall and food court and has an Onsen and laundry facilities. It is weird though, as it is used to skiers but has no facilities for them. One tip, do not get a larger car than you need. At -20 you will simply struggle to get the cabin warm.

Some of the ski hills are very small e.g. Canmore, Santa etc., but when it is snowing heavily powder is powder and you will have it mostly to yourself. The main resorts are Pippu and Kamui. Asahidake is special when it snows or is sunny, especially if you have touring kit. For me the real draw though is the backcountry around Horokanai, 1 hour west of Asahikawa where 2 passes give access to many routes of sublime cold dry powder with easy skinning. One hour south is Tokachidake with its alpine volcanic peaks and fantastic tours (weather permitting).

Asahikawa is mainly about noodles and the zoo. People eat early there though so don't head out after 7.30pm or you might be disappointed. The noodle and Yakatori places in the centre are all good. The food court on the 4th floor of the mall is average. I must make a special mention for Maruco, a restaurant out in the suburbs near the Ramen village which is wonderful and the couple that run it are just the epitomy of Hokkaido hospitality, namely, they just want to spend time with you if you make the effort to get off the beaten track.

When we first went in 2010 English was rare and signage was only in Japanese. Now, English is widespread on signs and labelling and the young are keen to try. More importantly, Google Translate is your friend and we have had quite long conversations just swapping translated screens. The Japanese love technology (and Barbie music!).

We are going again next year and will fit in the North East to see the cranes. There are two words in 'Ski Holiday' and it is essential to allow enough time for both.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Horokanai

Asahidake

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@22 dropout, excellent, thanks a lot! Lovely pictures, you caught some sun Very Happy

Top tip re guide(s). The experience is much better and different with them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
22 dropout wrote:
Call it a reconnaissance for a future trip with her, as you will almost certainly want to return.

I say again, @MikePow is right. I know hard core skiers that have been to Hokkaido and come back disappointed. Hokkaido is real Japan, but not what you see on TV. It is a relatively newly populated island with a harsh winter climate where you farm in summer and shift snow in winter, surrounded by dormant & active volcanos, and Russia is a stones' throw away. You are unlikely to have the skiing experience of your life without the help of a guide, a tour group or some good research. For the latter Powderhounds is accurate and Rob at Hokkaido Wilds is an amazing backcountry resource.

When in Asahikawa we stay at the JR Inn. It is dead central, has undercover parking, is above a mall and food court and has an Onsen and laundry facilities. It is weird though, as it is used to skiers but has no facilities for them. One tip, do not get a larger car than you need. At -20 you will simply struggle to get the cabin warm.

Some of the ski hills are very small e.g. Canmore, Santa etc., but when it is snowing heavily powder is powder and you will have it mostly to yourself. The main resorts are Pippu and Kamui. Asahidake is special when it snows or is sunny, especially if you have touring kit. For me the real draw though is the backcountry around Horokanai, 1 hour west of Asahikawa where 2 passes give access to many routes of sublime cold dry powder with easy skinning. One hour south is Tokachidake with its alpine volcanic peaks and fantastic tours (weather permitting).

Asahikawa is mainly about noodles and the zoo. People eat early there though so don't head out after 7.30pm or you might be disappointed. The noodle and Yakatori places in the centre are all good. The food court on the 4th floor of the mall is average. I must make a special mention for Maruco, a restaurant out in the suburbs near the Ramen village which is wonderful and the couple that run it are just the epitomy of Hokkaido hospitality, namely, they just want to spend time with you if you make the effort to get off the beaten track.

When we first went in 2010 English was rare and signage was only in Japanese. Now, English is widespread on signs and labelling and the young are keen to try. More importantly, Google Translate is your friend and we have had quite long conversations just swapping translated screens. The Japanese love technology (and Barbie music!).

We are going again next year and will fit in the North East to see the cranes. There are two words in 'Ski Holiday' and it is essential to allow enough time for both.

Great post and info

Heard great things about the Ishikari area on the West coast

Drove up that way last May

The mountains looked big
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike Pow, @22 dropout, thanks for nudging to the right direction. Completely agree that skiing with a guide increases the enjoyment and value of a trip.

Found explore-share dotcom and send a couple of requests but it must be too early. Would love a couple of days with a guide and will take touring kit as well.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, flying into Asahikawa on the 10 Jan (landing actually on 11th. Return flight on 27Jan. Need to fill 15 days of ski and put an itinerary. Are you planning to be in the area by any chance? snowHead
Would love to join a guided group for 2-3 days and then 1 catski day. Otoe cat does not show as being active. Any tips on cat operations in that part of Hokkaido? Any tips on Furano guides?
ski holidays
@22 dropout, are there any ski touring trails, marked or is there a map for easy touring? Would not risk it alone or in bad weather thus organising a group and looking for guide’s details. Most probably the worst period to inquire, thus doing online research and starting sending inquiries but suspect most will be lost. Hope in Sept/Oct people will be back and taking bookings.
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
@Mike Pow, flying into Asahikawa on the 10 Jan (landing actually on 11th. Return flight on 27Jan. Need to fill 15 days of ski and put an itinerary. Are you planning to be in the area by any chance? snowHead
Would love to join a guided group for 2-3 days and then 1 catski day. Otoe cat does not show as being active. Any tips on cat operations in that part of Hokkaido? Any tips on Furano guides?

I hope to be on Fantasy Island for January and February 2024

At this stage I'm fully booked for the duration, but that may change closer to the time

Could easily base yourself in Asahikawa for 5-7 days and do day trips to

Kamui Ski Links approx 35mins drive
Pippu approx 35mins drive

Kokusetsu Horotachi approx 55 mins drive

Asahidake approx 1 hr 10mins drive
Furano approx 1 hr 15mins drive
Nayoro Piyashiri approx 1 hr 30mins drive

Then a Circular Road Trip taking in resorts big and small

Asahikawa - Kurodake
Kurodake - Nukabira Onsen
Nukabira Onsen - Sahoro
Sahoro - Tomamu
Tomamu - Hidaka Kokusai
Hidaka Kokusai - Mt Racey
Mt Racey - Katsurazawa Kokusetsu
Katsurazawa Kokusetsu - Kamoidake
Kamoidake - Asahikawa

List of resorts
https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/prefecture/hokkaido

Destinations would depend on snow conditions

The smaller places would be non-starters if there's no new snow

Not sure if this link will work

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Daisetsuzan+S%C5%8Dunky%C5%8D+Kurodake+Ropeway/Asahikawa,+Hokkaido,+Japan/Nukabira+Onsen+Nakamuraya/Sahoro+Resort+Ski+Area/Hoshino+Resorts+Tomamu+The+Tower/Hidaka+International+Ski+Area/Mount+Racey+Ski+Area/Katsurazawa,+Mikasa,+Hokkaido,+Japan/Kamoidake+Ski+Resort,+%E6%AD%8C%E7%A5%9E+Utashinai,+Hokkaido,+Japan/@43.3959286,141.8540713,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m56!4m55!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f0d2fa482b6a613:0xd366b748ae4b9b37!2m2!1d142.9469449!2d43.7240581!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f0ce70c9a820ac3:0x7e122dd6afc109b2!2m2!1d142.3650083!2d43.7708833!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f7320480a75ba6d:0xf1dd7c4a3c6fdaa0!2m2!1d143.1899906!2d43.3647274!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f736a3c180d3b33:0x5ba05105a70099bd!2m2!1d142.807976!2d43.1746913!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f7361458fe50e73:0x16f6ff521063e51a!2m2!1d142.6313059!2d43.0633092!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f748fbb79f3aa83:0xffa6a6b68ce22794!2m2!1d142.4465299!2d42.8705009!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f74b7857c42d2d7:0x73a997af61c10ea6!2m2!1d141.9697926!2d43.050641!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f74acc307d226d9:0x15a148ba3ae69d22!2m2!1d142.061565!2d43.2237763!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f0ca25244d7bf1b:0xf667052c5f75eb32!2m2!1d142.0067364!2d43.5189553!3e0

Guides

These guys know the area inside out
Not sure if Chuck is still with them or down with Hokkaido Backcountry Club

https://www.hokkaidopowderguides.com/

Cat Ski

Not sure if these guys are still operating

https://steep.jp/en/spots/2808/
http://tengucat.jp/
latest report
@Mike Pow, thanks a million. One idea to check re Mt Asahidake - would it make sense staying for 1-2 nights in one of the nearby onsen hotels instead of commuting from Asahikawa two days in a row?
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
@Mike Pow, thanks a million. One idea to check re Mt Asahidake - would it make sense staying for 1-2 nights in one of the nearby onsen hotels instead of commuting from Asahikawa two days in a row?

Definitely
ski holidays
@22 dropout, talk tome about the Horokonai. Have you DIYed it or used guides? If guides, did you go with your guide or met somebody local on the spot?
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

Definitely

You are a legend! Current plan is to spend 5-6 days in Asahikawa, 1-2 days close to Ahasidake, 7 days driving via Kurodake - Nukabira Onsen - Sahoro - Tomamu staying 1, 1.5 or 2 days in each. Then the last 4-5 days in Furano.

Ideally getting a guide for a day in Asahidake. A guide for a day in Furano. Possibly a catski when in Asahikawa.
latest report
mooney058 wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

Definitely

You are a legend! Current plan is to spend 5-6 days in Asahikawa, 1-2 days close to Ahasidake, 7 days driving via Kurodake - Nukabira Onsen - Sahoro - Tomamu staying 1, 1.5 or 2 days in each. Then the last 4-5 days in Furano.

Ideally getting a guide for a day in Asahidake. A guide for a day in Furano. Possibly a catski when in Asahikawa.

Look forward to hearing all about it
snow report
Hello. We do our own thing, not for any other reason than it enables us to work more with the conditions and our aging muscles from day to day and we can be spontaneous. That said, we used Hokkaido Powder Guides on our first trip and found them excellent.

My essential resource is https://hokkaidowilds.org/ . Visit the site, choose ski touring, scroll down to the map and choose the area you are visiting. Each tour includes a printable summary including a topo map and description of access, route and hazards. As I think I said, parking is a big factor. Combined with Fatmaps, you pretty well have all you need. Hokkaido Wilds have an app called Japan Topo.

Route finding tends to be quite simple once you start climbing in Japan. A compass is essential kit. I also have Hokkaido maps offline on Mapy.cz which I find to be very useful. You have to be mindful of your aspects, as it is easy to head off down an amazing powder face only to find out you have gone down, for example, a south face having ascended the east ridge and now have to cross gullies on the flat to find the exit, or lose half the run to a long traverse. This is especially true on Asahidake if you get drawn too far skiers' left (south).

The treeline disappears from about 800m in Hokkaido. This means navigation and shelter is fine in most conditions below that, above needs good weather, and the best skiing is often above 500m when the trees start to thin out. This is one of the reasons Horokanai is so good. The 2 road passes mean you are already into the thinner trees when you start and it is so cold the snow stays good for a few days after a storm.

It is well worth watching the direction of storms. Asahidake gets it from all directions, but Pippu and Kamui benefit from winds from the north, whereas Sahoro and Tomamu from the south. Also, if choosing a touring route you will get the the best experience if you are skiing the best snow i.e. no wind hammered. On that subject we normally carry ski crampons as the summit cones/ridges are often compacted and icy, especially the peaks around Tokachidake where the peaks are more alpine.

We have not tried any cat outfits. We did heli-ski once on Shirabetsu but would not do so again. We skinned up it a couple of times on the next trip instead though and had a blast - short approach, big cleared face for a top to bottom descent and easy parking.

We thought about staying in a lodge at Asahidake this year but we don't mind the drive in the morning and it is just as easy as packing and unpacking imo.
ski holidays
@22 dropout, thanks for sharing this. For the moment I am traveling solo so would not chance going on my own, especially if it snows or blows. Dropped a message to the Hokkaido Powder Guides. Could possibly trade circular road trip for a guided week around Furano. Going solo has it advantages and disadvantages - if the weather is nice I can do mini hikes, if it snows best to be with a guide. Problem is nobody can tell the weather 10 months in advance.

The “2 road passes” is it a specific place of a general area, apologies if am too daft.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy