Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nordica Santa Ana or Enforcer width comparison

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m mostly just justifying a new pair of skis here, but bear with me Cool

I bought the Santa Ana 93 just over a year ago, and this season they have been my go to skis almost every day skiing. I have used them on the piste on hard snow, off-piste in knee-deep powder, and everything in between that has been available in a not particularly epic season. I feel I’ve done well not to put any holes in them, considering how low the depths have been, but they still look pretty good.

Anyway, it’s sales time, and their big sister the Santa Ana Free 110 is available for what seems to be a rather good £200ish in the flat, correct length. I’ve not skied them, and the design and construction is slightly different according to the website (less metal, more rocker), but it’s hard to leave them in warehouse at that price. Has anyone skied both and can give a comparison? I will accept the Enforcer as being the same ski or close enough as a reasonable equivalent.

The only other thing putting me off is that the graphic is almost identical to the 93 that I have, so going out on the wrong skis is a distinct possibility!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, if you like your current skis, why spend even a small amount of money on new ones? Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, it’s a fair point, but I’m sure this is not the place for such logic Laughing

I think that normally I would have used fatter skis more (only once this season), but there really hasn’t been the snow for it this year. I don’t know if I would have used them so much if the snow had been better, so if feels like I’m biased because they have suited this season’s slightly crap conditions perfectly! Or maybe that’s just an excuse.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet,
Quote:

maybe that’s just an excuse.

I'm going for this one. Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The widest skis I've been on are the Scott "The Ski" @ 92....so no personal experience.

First thought - Buying new kit is good for the Soul.

Second thought - If you do a reasonable amount of skiing in deep snow - Get 'Em and be happy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, snap 'em up. Otherwise you'll be left wondering "what if..." every time there's a decent fall. And new shiny planks will make winter come more quickly.

I've not skied any of these specific skis so can't add anything properly insightful. But even for a small, light person, i think there's plenty of scope for a wider ski, especially when the snow is complicated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, my OH has/had them and really liked them, and were her preferred ski, she wrote this...

'When I tested the Nordica Santa Ana 100s a couple of years ago, I ordered them on the spot. Finally we have a women's ski that does powder and can handle the piste. Then, for this winter, Nordica added the 110 to the Santa Ana line, in essence bringing the El Nina into the Santa Ana stable with balsa wood core and carbon sandwiched between two sheets of metal. This design also enhances edge hold for powerful and precise turns while dampening vibrations for a smooth and predictable ride. And to maximize floatation in powder and boost performance in variable conditions, it sports a high rise tip and tail rocker profile. I've mounted them with the new Tecton 12 bindings (same as Tech Editor, above) for a super light all mountain ski set up. I'd been expecting to really appreciate them in Japan in January where the wider waist will be perfect but, with the amazing snow we've had in the Alps I've already been out touring and shredding the pow. And, yep, they DO float. They're a surprisingy easy ride on the piste too! But, okay, half of the graphics are a tad girly pink for my liking but hopefully that's always going to be covered by pow. '

However, the Tecton bindings did not release a couple of times as she's so light, so they became nigh on redundant as she went to DPS Pagoda Tours 106 & Xenics (which go to 4) - but she's just confirmed to me how she thought they were great and for £200'ish seems a no brainer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought the Enforcer 110 free this year, I absolutely love them on & off piste, they are a bit chattery when trying to carve on steep, hard snow, but edge grip on blue & red groomers was amazing. I took these and my old Head iRallys to the BB & actually preferred the 110s for piste carving.

Tbf, it's not a good comparison, you on 110s is like me strapping a snowboard onto each foot Very Happy you're probably not much more than half my 90+kg weight
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, It's a bit of a dilemma. I've been wanting something "easier" for big powder days than my Bonafides (although the one day that I found myself getting unreasonably tired may have been related to my then heart situation).

So my question to me was go wider or softer. In the end I acquired some Movement Go 98s which were easier, but I didn't really get a chance to get my head around them.

Next year my intention is to try out at least the Blizz Rustler 10 and 11s. Bro in law is raving about the 10s and doesn't think I'd bother taking anything wider out.

But if you are likely to bother taking out the 100s, I'd be inclined to go for it.

Of course, rehab and all I am also probably in the market for a pure piste ski rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
@Scarlet, if you like your current skis, why spend even a small amount of money on new ones? Confused

Because the best days you’ll ever have in the mountains are those days when a wide ski is in its element. And IMO there’s a significant difference in the skiing experience of an all mountain ski vs a dedicated pow ski on a big powder day.

@Scarlet, You already know the answer!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, they sound like they would be huge fun on a proper powder day, so I’d say go for it! This winter I finally put new Gripwalk bindings on my old 104mm Liberty skis so I could use them for the first time in 3 years (I’d been using my Salomon Stance 88 skis for everything since I got Gripwalk boots. They are capable but a little dull). We were lucky to be in France when it dumped. I’d forgotten how great the fatties were-I had a huge smile on my face. For £200.. hard to resist making a purchase I’d say!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy