Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoiding school holidays - before or after?

Poster: A snowHead
For the first time in many years I’m looking at skiing outside of the school holidays! We’ve mostly been at Easter and headed across the pond. So which weeks in Europe would people recommend - before or after the half term holiday? Good snow is the number one priority!! If going to France is it worth avoiding the whole of Feb or just the UK and Paris holidays?

Thanks - it’s strange to be spoilt for choice. But I will need to book leave fairly soonish
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You want to avoid the local holidays more than the Parisian IMHO. Lyon, Grenoble for the Alps.

I would ski just after if you are talking about February but the weather can be worse but there is more snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Next year the French winter holidays are from 10 Feb - 11 March. I'd avoid the whole of that period, if you have the choice. No guarantees when the best snow will be.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are looking at France the last week of the French holidays next year (March 2-9) will not be too bad. The Parisians and locals (Lyon, Grenoble) will be back to school and no Dutch, Brits or Scandi schools on holiday.

Also probably as snow sure as any and the days lengthening a bit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But the following week, accommodation will be far cheaper, and there'll be fewer lift queues.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just go to Switzerland, it barely makes any difference at all whether or not it is half term etc.
Just avoid New Year...that is by miles the busiest week of the year
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
But the following week, accommodation will be far cheaper, and there'll be fewer lift queues.

Certainly true of accommodation cost but my first hand experience, admittedly only in the Portes du Soleil, is that last week (no Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, Brits or Dutch) would not have any significant queues.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I prefer to avoid even insignificant queues!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last week of Jan - 1st week of feb
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If good snow is the priority, then I'd go just before. if it hasn't snowed for a significant time before you go, then there will have been less recent traffic on what snow there is if you travel after quiet weeks (i.e. January)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having done several seasons, I would now choose late January/early February, before any holidays. Good chance of decent snow, and always seems quieter than the weeks following all the half term holidays.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

always seems quieter than the weeks following all the half term holidays

I'd agree with that. For very obvious reasons the week AFTER the school holidays is a popular one. The last week of January is a sensible compromise between price and the likelihood of good snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TommyJ, Last week of January can be fantastic but don't just look at France. Assuming you are no longer fixed by Kids then an extra couple of hours journey time (if driving) brings Austria very much into the equation. Try something different, you may be pleasantly surprised.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love January skiing. Quieter pistes, pretty cheap, and (above all) often good snow.

Be prepared for it to be colder (in my view this is a good thing, particularly for snow conditions), and also to have less daylight: it's not a huge difference compared with February half term, but the darker evenings are still noticeable.
snow conditions
Surely the great thing about off peak is being able to book late and give yourself the best chance of having good conditions but I guess that may depend on the flexible of your employment.

Before I had kids we found January to be cheapest and certainly it's usually cold. But that coldness/bleakness at the heart of winter could be a downer also. So my slight preference would be mid-March.

Nice problem to have though. My kids are almost grown up so looking forward to it!
ski holidays
we went to France the week before the UK Easter school holidays this year (24th March - 1st April) and it was great. Prices were so much cheaper, it was surprisingly quiet on the slopes and loads of snow in Val Thorens. I think there were some uni trips there as saw a lot of matching hoodies. Rarely queued for a lift, and certainly no more than 5 mins. Some mountain restaurants were busy at lunch time but not all and still managed to get a table after a few mins. We were happy
snow conditions
@TommyJ,
Avoid all 4 weeks of the French half term holidays.
snow report
Is the first Saturday of French half term getting out of resort a problem at all if people are arriving en masse? Or is it not too bad?
latest report
What @T Bar, said!

But if France avoid Feb and 1st week of March at all costs. Having said that even my trips in Jan and March were a bit busier than normal..take your pick!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy