Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Escape the World Cup - Ski Scotland!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Snow! It is perhaps one of the last things most people would associate mid summer with in the UK, especially in this apparent age of Global Warming. However with Wimbledon getting underway (if the rain stops!) and the summer solstice having been and gone, our group of keen skiers marked the first weekend of summer proper through taking the opportunity to escape from the World Cup by getting in some turns on long lasting snowfields on the south side of CairnGorm Mountain.

While it was almost seven weeks since the ski lifts closed on 7th May at CairnGorm, the ski season proper spanned across seven months having begun at the Lecht back on Saturday 26th November. For most ourgroup however Saturday's skiing means June has become their eighth consecutive month of snowsports in Scotland for the 2005/06 season! Cool

This year didn't have to go far to find snow (there's still a tiny patch in the Ptarmigan Bowl) with our destination being the main snow field of the Ciste Mhearaidh, just a few hundred yards from the top of the Ptarmigan Tow.

Once some Summer turns were had we turned our attentions to building a Kicker for the afternoon, which subsequently provided entertainment to passing hill-walkers who stopped off and sat on nearby rocks to watch !

Reports and additional photos at:

http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=256
-and-
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/cairngorm/winter200506/jun06/24/index.html

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland, I don't know what to say - that's incredable! Very Happy Is this an unusual year?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went camping in June in the Cairngorms 3 years back and there were plenty of decent sized snow patches. It was b####y freezing!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How wet did you get on the way down without my jacket? It was still p1ssing it down when I got back to the car park.
I put a thread here:
http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16458&highlight=
which has migrated onto a discusion of the the funicular and VMP - you've probably got more info on that than me!

If the weather is decent next weekend may do it again, particularly as I still want to rollerski up the road from glenmore!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Dave - me and Helen are planning on heading up again sometime soon too. We're aiming for early July, to bag our 9th month consecutive snowsports, and her 70th day skiing this season! Smile So that'll possibly be this coming weekend, dependant on weather.

Edit: Hoppo, nope this isn't unusual. There is pretty much always this amount of snow left at this time of year, sometimes there's more.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will these snow patches last right throught the summer until next season?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Will these snow patches last right throught the summer until next season?

Sometimes, not sure how usual it is for the Ciste Mhearaidh patch to be a permanent feature, but there are snow patches in Scotland that are permanent except in very exceptional years.

For info eg
Snow patches lasting until winter in north-east Scotland in 1971-2000
Authors: Watson A.; Davison R.W.; Pottie J.

Source: Weather, Volume 57, Number 10, 1 October 2002, pp. 374-385(12)

I can't tell you what is in it cos they want to charge me £9 to read it and thats trying to log on via an institutional log in which I'd hoped would give me free access.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy