Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Corporate Consolidation is Killing Ski Towns

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/S46iJIk3t70

TRUTH about why US Ski resorts have become so expensive compared to Europe.

http://youtube.com/v/hYhdxnm4i8I
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

I know the Yanks have a tendency to exaggerate a little (or is that only Texas?) but 4000 ski resorts in Europe?

I honestly didn't know we had so many of them in the UK rolling eyes

Even Belgium and Holland seem to have a fair number. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@brianatab, seems they've included the quaint ski resort of Guildford dry slope, offering 50m of piste (and for our American viewers, thats a whopping 115ft of vert) . I suppose not many ski towns can boast their own cathedral.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm shocked at the price of US liftpasses but don't imagine that skiing is cheap in a country like French compared to local wages.

The second video is really quite good for an American's view of European skiing. I agree, the ski resorts are often confusing. Over the last week we've visited Valmeinier and les Arcs (Peisey) and the signposting for car parking etc or even where the fsking lifts are is really bad. She's right about the closed lift thing but that is maybe a reflection on the lift pass price.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@brianatab, seems they've included the quaint ski resort of Guildford dry slope, offering 50m of piste (and for our American viewers, thats a whopping 115ft of vert) . I suppose not many ski towns can boast their own cathedral.

St Johann im Pongau has a Cathedral
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the epic pass has 909 $
why someone should pay 800 $ for a 5 day ski pass?

the zermatt saison pass CHF 1’890.00

honestly for me also , worth to buy the epic pass and then i have:
unlimited access to Disentis
5 days at Verbier4Vallées
seven consecutive days of skiing and riding at Skirama Dolomiti ski resorts.
seven consecutive days of skiing and riding at Les 3 Vallées ski resorts
and 3 days in Arlberg (but you have to stay in cooperative accommodation)

I dont understand if someone want to ski over 10 days in one of the epic pass resorts, why not buying the season pass?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 20-04-23 12:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roffle at including Guildford. More like 115ft of length, not vert.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy, oh nonono! 50m@ approx 30% estimates to 115ft vert!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Even better Mount Guildford doesn't have a ski school because it is in a school Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
turms2 wrote:
the epic pass has 909 $

Because you have to use overpriced day passes to come to the conclusion that skiing in n America is much more expensive.

An epic local pass is 620euro and arguably better value than any season pass offered in Europe. Lake Louise spring pass is 400euro for 2 months skiing.

I was in whistler the year before Vail took over. After Vail it became cheaper, as epic pass undercut whistler season pass, as well as offering lots of free access to other resorts.

Yes, NA and EU use different models. A day pass will always be more expensive in NA and a season pass more expensive in EU. If skiing is more expensive really depends how many days you plan to ski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
turms2 wrote:
the epic pass has 909 $

the zermatt saison pass CHF 1’890.00

honestly for me also , worth to buy the epic pass and then i have:
unlimited access to Disentis
5 days at Verbier4Vallées
seven consecutive days of skiing and riding at Skirama Dolomiti ski resorts.
seven consecutive days of skiing and riding at Les 3 Vallées ski resorts
and 3 days in Arlberg (but you have to stay in cooperative accommodation)

I dont understand if someone want to ski over 10 days in one of the epic pass resorts, why not buying the season pass?

I imagine that most skiers do 1 week a year so why would they buy more than they need?

I also stopped watching when the 'facts' about 4000 ski areas came out. So completely false it's untrue.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
turms2 wrote:
the epic pass has 909 $

Because unless you know where you're going by early December, when the Epic passes go OFF sale, you can't buy one.

Got a spare weekend in California on a business trip and want to visit Tahoe? That'll be >$400 please.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowdave,
Not entirely sure the main target market of Epic passes is uk based 1 week a year skiers... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For my about US$900 last year I skied most weekends from November to now (and still going) at Whistler, plus 9 days at Kicking Horse (7 on my Epic pass, and 2 50% discounted because I have an Epic pass)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Because unless you know where you're going by early December, when the Epic passes go OFF sale, you can't buy one

There are often "early bird" discounts for season passes in europe, too.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
turms2 wrote:
the epic pass has 909 $

Because unless you know where you're going by early December, when the Epic passes go OFF sale, you can't buy one.

Got a spare weekend in California on a business trip and want to visit Tahoe? That'll be >$400 please.

The beauty of an epic pass is that it covers pretty much everywhere in n America and includes options in Europe, Japan, and Australia. It's arguably way more flexible than the single season euro season passes that cost considerably more. I suspect many but an epic pass with a wait and see approach.

I've never really understood the Brits who complain about having to buy n American passes early to get the best price when:
- most euro resorts also do a cheaper early bird pricing structure too
- they are happy to buy flights as soon as they are released to get the best deals

Personally I like the epic pricing, but I'm bias. Those that want to commit to skiing lots of days per year get a nice loyalty bonus and the 1 week or less per year skiers subsidise them somewhat. I'm sure it's not great for bringing new people into skiing as creates an even higher bar for entry.
snow report
I spoke to some senior instructors in Italy this year about this whole consolidation of resorts issue. They said the main advantage for the industry really is that the more snow sure resorts can effectively subsidise the lower altitude ones as climate change disrupts them more and more. Also for locals it's nice as they can ski any of the resorts in their area with just one season pass. Bizarrely I think it's probably worst value for the travelling tourist who goes 1 week a year and won't really get the benefits.

Regarding Vail, as much as you see american skiers (I suspect mostly adolescents on reddit) shouting "F Vail!", they have incredibly high consumer satisfaction:

https://www.newsweek.com/rankings/most-trustworthy-companies-america-2023

Newsweek recently ranked them the 19th most trustworthy company in America according to a survey of 25,000 people, so they must be doing something right.
latest report
stuarth wrote:
@snowdave,
Not entirely sure the main target market of Epic passes is uk based 1 week a year skiers... Madeye-Smiley

Agreed, but the q was "why would someone buy a 5 day pass vs an Epic pass" and the answer was "because you can't actually buy an Epic pass at that point". I don't think people always realise that the Epic pass sales typically stop as soon as the resort opens for the season. It's not "no early bird discount", it's "not available" Happy
latest report
snowdave wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@snowdave,

Agreed, but the q was "why would someone buy a 5 day pass vs an Epic pass" and the answer was "because you can't actually buy an Epic pass at that point". I don't think people always realise that the Epic pass sales typically stop as soon as the resort opens for the season. It's not "no early bird discount", it's "not available" Happy

Let's be honest the article had an agenda and purposely picked the most expensive option to make their point. Its like me making an article about sun cream being unaffordable while only referencing prices at airport terminals.

If you are a skier in n America you know what the deal is. Epic are very clear that their pass stops being sold early, and even then the deadline is often extended.
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@snowdave,

Yes. This is clear , at least to me. In Europe is also so. Discount season passes are availabe till 10 Dec usually.
But...I do not understand the whole point. If someone lives near s ski resort which is in Epics Pass or Ikon Pass why should he wait till Januar to buy an expensive 5day Pass, instead of a pre-sale Epic Pass?
Or búying every weekend a 2day pass for 300 $???
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy