Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Received damaged skis, need advice please

Poster: A snowHead
I just received some pretty expensive skis from Snowcountry.eu, quite disappointed to find a fairly significant scratch across the base of one, it couldn't have happened in transport as they were packed base to base and strapped (though only near the front tip, no strap at the rear). Unusual scratch in that it's lateral, directly underneath the bindings, I suspect it happened when they were mounting the bindings, no idea how it wasn't spotted before sending them out. Very frustrating. I've emailed them with these photos asking them how they plan to proceed.

Can this scratch be easily sorted out and am I overreacting? I've no experience with ski maintenance (first set of skis I've owned), so would love any advice, is it realistic to expect the retailer to sort this out free of charge? Returning would be really annoying as I've had to pay quite a lot of tax on them which I imagine won't be refunded...

https://imgur.com/a/A7O7eff
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have bought tons of stuff with them, and always got great service - Contact them and I am sure they will sort you out.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DanishRider wrote:
Have bought tons of stuff with them, and always got great service - Contact them and I am sure they will sort you out.

Emailed them, hopefully they'll get back to me before the weekend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it a scratch or wac residue?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks very superficial, how "deep" into the base/edge does it go? If its just a surface mark like it seems to be from the pic it won't affect your skiing IMHO.

I'd probably not return them unless you can get the same elsewhere at the same prices......hopefully they may knock a bit more off them for you!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@menatarms, Its never nice to unwrap your new'n'shinys and find dings or scratches... buuuuut... Edges look fine, and the scratch isn't probably more than superficial. I know its not the point but I suspect they'll look more worse for wear after a week of spring skiing - tools not jewels after all. But if you aren't happy, it is of course your prerogative to take it up with the vendor. Either way, good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No matter how careful you are, you'll run over a rock at some point, or some bell-end will tramp all over or stick their tips under your bases in a lift queue.

The first scratch on new skis is always the most painful, after that you can enjoy yourself.

I wouldn't be sending those back. I would be pushing for discount however.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mooney058 wrote:
Is it a scratch or wac residue?

Definitely a scratch, maybe 1.5-2mm deep at the deepest part, but I can feel it has left small some burs along the edge of the scratch.

Snowcountry got back to me and have said they'll give me a discount for the inconvience, and asked for more photos of the edges to ensure the damage hasn't compromised the ski (pretty sure it hasn't). I've asked whether they think I should fill it with ptex before waxing it before the summer.

I think the thing that really threw me was that the scratch went across (usually see them along the ski) the ski and right under the binding, so sort of the worst place and direction for it to be in. Edges seem ok thankfully. Sorry if I'm being paranoid, first set of skis I've bought and know almost nothing about maintaining them!

Would rather not return as the price was very good (relatively...still an expensive pair of skis at £760 all in...that I'll promptly match with £14 Decathlon ski poles Very Happy), and pretty sure I won't get the VAT back no matter what.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@menatarms,
Quote:

went across (usually see them along the ski) the ski and right under the binding,

The picture shows the tail of the ski? Looks like a good case for discount, but the sort of damage you'll do anyway.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski wrote:
@menatarms,
Quote:

went across (usually see them along the ski) the ski and right under the binding,

The picture shows the tail of the ski? Looks like a good case for discount, but the sort of damage you'll do anyway.

scroll down to the 2nd photo
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So Snowcountry have gotten back and offered a refund of €90 to cover the cost of a stone grind and a little extra. I think is probably the best solution, not keen to send them back because then I've just paid the taxman £130 for nothing...

May hold off on the stone grind though until the end of next season, was planning to keep these skis a fair while don't really want to grind them with no other wear on them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@menatarms, it doesn't need a stone grind!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@menatarms, it doesn't need a stone grind!!

Great! Think they're just going to get a wax before the summer and I'll see how they go later this year. Pretty happy overall with the way Snowcountry dealt with this, shipping was much faster than I anticipated (ordered on Tuesday!), and they responded very professionally to me about this making sure to have it sorted out before the end of day. Now just need to hit those squats so I can actually bend the things!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

scroll down to the 2nd photo

Ahh!

Good to hear that they have offered a solution. And.. wot @kitenski says!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adrenaline extraction tools have a hard life from day one, Personally I'd be happy £90 back for what potentially can happen on the 1st run.
latest report
@menatarms, don’t base grind them for that. You’d need to take the 2mm off to get them completely flat which would just eat the life of your skis for a scratch that you won’t notice and doesn’t appear to have touched the edges.
ski holidays
Snowcountry are just a really good shop - They are ALWAYS happy to help, and are fair to deal with. I am on my fourth pair of skis from them - I cannot recommend them enough!

That scratch do NOT justify a base grind - You won’t notice it skiing the ski. Go ski it and be happy for a great ski - and don’t forget to have fun !
snow report
Thanks guys, yeah I think I'll hold off on the base grind, seems overkill for now. Do I need to wax them straight away? Slightly wary that if we have a roasting summer like last year it could be quite bad for skis.

Can't wait to try them out later this year.
ski holidays
menatarms wrote:
Thanks guys, yeah I think I'll hold off on the base grind, seems overkill for now. Do I need to wax them straight away? Slightly wary that if we have a roasting summer like last year it could be quite bad for skis.

Can't wait to try them out later this year.

You will find many different answers to that question, but being a new ski, there is already wax on it. I myself always give them a thick layer of wax, skip the scrape and put them on storage - I have no idea about the effect, but I have always done it that way. That said - I have had a pair I didn’t do it to, and they worked fine when waxed again. Don’t overthink it - I wax for the chance to drink a six pack and get away from wife and kids for a couple of hours - Keeps me sane Toofy Grin
latest report
Couple of hours to wax a pair of skis?

Am I missing something?

Again
snow report
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Am I missing something?

Again

Couple of hours to finish the six pack
snow report
Sounds good, I didn't quite realise how much tuning and waxing equipment there is to get. Can it be done without a ski vice? Doing that classic thing where you make a massive outlay and then start trying to pinch pennies lol. Figuring out the most cost effective bag I can as well.
ski holidays
menatarms wrote:
Sounds good, I didn't quite realise how much tuning and waxing equipment there is to get. Can it be done without a ski vice? Doing that classic thing where you make a massive outlay and then start trying to pinch pennies lol. Figuring out the most cost effective bag I can as well.

I have a waxing iron, some good wax from @Spyderjon a scraper and brush. Don’t bother with scraper and brush any more as it seems to make little difference if you are soaring with the wax. Leave the edges to the shop. Wax the skis a couple of times a season. Don’t bother with off season wax and it doesn’t seem to bother my skis, some of which are still going strong after 200 off days. I’m sure there are many errors in my approach but somehow skiing is still relatively enjoyable!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
@menatarms, don’t base grind them for that. You’d need to take the 2mm off to get them completely flat which would just eat the life of your skis for a scratch that you won’t notice and doesn’t appear to have touched the edges.

It doesn't mean take 2mm off the base, it means get them ptex'd to fill the divot then a stone grind to reinstate proper base structure.
latest report
@Roguevfr, ....having put huge scratches into my rock skis - and I do mean huge (2mm deep right across the skis) - I have simply Ptex'd them with a candle or my Ptex gun, removed excess (with a wide wood chisel), buffed a bit with Scotch pad and then waxed. When wax is on you just can't see the repair. And certainly can't feel it when skiing.
snow conditions
@valais2 agreed, I believe the shop is simply attempting to give the OP as good a repair as is possible in view of the damage.
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Am I missing something?

Again

7 pairs - Got a family that also ski wink
snow report
DJL wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Am I missing something?

Again

Couple of hours to finish the six pack

…. And open the next six pack Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think I'll get some wax from The Piste Office, probably worth getting the good stuff on such nice skis. I'll leave the tuning for next year maybe, or just get a pro to do it like you say. My house got insanely hot last summer, it's pretty poorly ventilated so think I'll get some wax on soon.

Trying to pick a bag that's going to work with different airlines as well as crystal who we do a holiday with every spring, leaning towards a padded sleeeve rather than the big rollers (much cheaper!).
snow conditions
@menatarms, take the discount and ski them imv. They’re tools not jewels!
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@menatarms, take the discount and ski them imv. They’re tools not jewels!

Took the discount, with that in addition to the sale and their easter voucher code they were basically 40% off retail, which was a great deal all things considered.

Can't wait to get them on snow, it's going to be a very impatient summer!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy