Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What speed do we go at?

Poster: A snowHead
I was watching a Youtube video yesterday which showed someone on a cat track, standard speed so not overtaking many but equally not being overtaken. I was surprised that they were clocking around 20mph as it showed their speed at the bottom, and it got me wondering how fast people go when they are really hooning it down a piste.
Does anyone have any info relating to their typical speeds on piste?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooh good, a new dick waving thread

Pass the hobnobs

Usual suspects incoming

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 13-04-23 10:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps that's inevitable, I'm not bothered about top speeds, just typical speeds
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
159.7 MPH (255.5 KMH) is best I've heard of so far.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ryunis, I stopped bothering when my gps app recorded a speed in excess of 1,000 kilometres per hour.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, I DEMAND to know your waxing secrets!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
@Ryunis, I stopped bothering when my gps app recorded a speed in excess of 1,000 kilometres per hour.

Reminds me of my Nike running app, which for two or three years made me think I was running 4m30 Kms when in reality it was more like 5m30.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@johnE, I DEMAND to know your waxing secrets!

He's Brazilian wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You're probably going slower than the SkiTracks screenshot you posted to Instagram says you are! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, ah, an aero-optimised package... *sage nodding*
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at Strava for last few, for me, average speed is around 17kph
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ryunis wrote:

Reminds me of my Nike running app, which for two or three years made me think I was running 4m30 Kms when in reality it was more like 5m30.

you mean you don't have a gym teacher in a baggy blue tracksuit and a stop watch giving you the splits on each lap?

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didn't feel like I'd had a particularly fast day, but Skitracks once showed me skiing at 130kph.

(I'd inadvertently left it running until driving on the motorway later Laughing)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Average 20 to 25 km/h - depending I guess on how much piste v off piste.

Top speed varies from 50 to 70 km/h.

Subject to the accuracy of Ski Tracks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I left my shades on a medium sized fairly modern gondola in Austria somewhere. I took note of the number and went for it. Piste was a bit bumpy and it wasn't a long one but I managed to make it with time to spare and got my shades back.. and I was bloody knackered after the effort. Average speed can't have been that high even with purpose!!
snow report
As measured by a Garmin watch typically average around 20km/h. Maximum between 50-60 km/h but only for pretty short periods.
snow report
It’s hard to say but, I recall, a few years ago, leaving a mountain Hutte with a big bag of frozen Kasekrainer and a bottle of schnapps stuffed in my ski jacket. The 2.5km red run seemed to go by in a blur…probably the extra weight plus large lunch and several beers helping the natural effects of gravity along with some long GS type skis.
snow conditions
most people leave a hut with a glass of beer they haven't finished, or, in the old days a branded ashtray or something small, but you ? no, you leave with a big bag of frozen sausages and a bottle of schnapps ? Laughing Laughing

and, anyway, you should've put the bottle in your schnapps sack wink
ski holidays
Quote:

most people leave a hut with a glass of beer they haven't finished

do they? what an extraordinary thing to do.
ski holidays
According to Ski Tracks:
Best day: Average speed 32.4Kph, with top speed of 90.4Kph, distance 52.2Km.
Normal day: Average speed 25.4Kph with top speed of 75Kph, distance 35Km.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

most people leave a hut with a glass of beer they haven't finished

do they? what an extraordinary thing to do.

OK, maybe an exaggeration to say 'most' Pam........but, only to grab an opportunity to poke fun at Cacciatore

You've never, ever left a bar or a pub with an unfinished drink though ?
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
most people leave a hut with a glass of beer they haven't finished, or, in the old days a branded ashtray or something small, but you ? no, you leave with a big bag of frozen sausages and a bottle of schnapps ? Laughing Laughing

and, anyway, you should've put the bottle in your schnapps sack wink

Laughing Laughing

That’s the Hornhutte for you….high time I either re-introduced or introduced you to the particular “merits” of the place, Timberwolf Toofy Grin
snow report
Yes, this is true. The last time I had the pleasure of your company, I believe we met you at Astauwinkel, and i have ventured out towards Russbach at all. An itch that needs scratching that !
ski holidays
Top speed I've managed so far is 72.4kmh according to skitracks (so really not very fast at all when you look at the pro downhillers). I remember for the first time feeling friction from the skis on the snow, like I could tell the rental skis needed waxing (late in a week of rental), but on that piste, with other people potentially over dips and around corners that you can't see, I'm pretty sure it's just not possible to go faster than that safely. It was very fun though. May have gone faster a few other times (not using ski tracks), but probably not by much.

It's a piste that gets used in the world cup and olympics for GS regularly, and I think Super G a few times, so pretty steep, but considering I just bombed down with no turns from as high as I could go with clear line of sight (a lot of people fall near the bottom, especially kids mid piste, way too dangerous to take it on blind), I'm not sure you can go too much faster on a public piste.
latest report
The truth is - if you use an app to measure it you have no idea how fast you ate actually going. A well-calibrated speed gun tells a very different story. I have actually done this, taken people who claim ridiculous speeds achieved and measured their actual speed properly. It was instructive.

And anyway, who cares what speed you ski at? I can choose to go the long way fast on a very steep slope, which is much more skilful than straight-lining a blue slope. What does the "speed" tell you about the skiing? I really can't stand it when I hear people bragging about this stuff, which seems to happen whoever middle-aged holiday skiers congregate.

I am sure that is not what the OP is getting at with the question but even so, better to avoid any discussion on speed in my view.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
The truth is - if you use an app to measure it you have no idea how fast you ate actually going.

Not being deadly accurate doesn't = you have no idea.

zikomo wrote:
And anyway, who cares what speed you ski at?

Well the OP for one. And me, kind of. And some of the people I ski with. But not my wife - who interestingly eschews skiing at speed - even though she is very capable skier. Personally, I get a bit of a buzz out of skiing quite fast, in contrast to not at all interesting in cars and driving fast. Who knows why. Getting the stat is only of mild interest though. My favourite stat tends to be vertical metres skied. Again, I don't really know why. And if I forget to put Ski Tracks on, it really doesn't bother me.

zikomo wrote:
I am sure that is not what the OP is getting at with the question but even so, better to avoid any discussion on speed in my view.

And yet, here you are wink wink
ski holidays
I'm not sure what's worse: the people bragging about the speeds they (think they) achieve, or those bragging about how much they don't care about speed.
snow conditions
@jmr59, People who brag about their speed while insisting they don't care just how much considerably faster they are THAN YAOWS?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m not sure I’m reading many people bragging on this thread. Perhaps people are just genuinely interested in how their speed compares with others.
Of course speed doesn’t mean control
snow conditions
Speed kills. Number of turns wins.

Reality is pure speed is not impressive. Any fool can dynamically balance on skis or a board. True question is whether they can readily adjust at will for unexpected events, terrain blips etc etc. If you're clocking arc to arc GS turns or zipping a bump line at a decent pace while avoiding all traffic and looking in good form it's clearly much more impressive.

Cattracks are an edge case. Part of me says get the F through them as quick as possible to avoid other clowns, the other part says how do I avoid being such a clown.
ski holidays
We have a speed run on a fairly steep red, before they shortened it you would regularly see speeds in the 130 to 140 kmh range. They moved the start to limit speeds to around 100kmh but you still get the odd loony that comes off the slope above it going into the run at about 60 km. I won't use it anymore, last time I did a local kid ducked under the safety net when I was about 3/4 of the way down, I managed to miss him but it isn't an experience I am in a hurry to repeat.
My average working day speed is probably about 10kmh Laughing
ski holidays
I don't think it's about bragging, because unless you're a World Cup racer, frankly what's there to brag about? For me it's more just out of curiosity really, it's quite interesting to see a little data about your skiing, that for the average tourist was never available before. Also if it's just a friend and I skiing together, it can be quite fun to compete in a friendly way over it.

Carv looks quite interesting but is really expensive, and if you're skiing just 1 or 2 weeks a year, hardly worth it.
ski holidays
@pam w, Probably the types who go to Benidorm for their summer jollies. Hmm, Brits abroad. Eh oh!
snow conditions
I once posted a tracks recording of me doing slightly over 100mph. I neglected to mention I'd left it running when driving the car back to the hotel from the lifts in zell. (In my defense in terms of the speed I did still have my ski boots on).
ski holidays
40 kph

Uphill

Turns out I didn’t turn my Garmin bike GPS off when I got on the lift
latest report
Faster than most but not the fastest & not as fast as I was 30 years ago
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
According to Ski Tracks:

And we have a winner
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
Faster than most but not the fastest & not as fast as I was 30 years ago

And another one
ski holidays
I have no devices that measure my speed. It feels like my fastest going downhill on skis is about the same as I go downhill on a bike (and I have no devices to measure that, either: I'm not a Strava striver).

Ultimately I guess that I'm going slower than I think I am, but it doesn't stop me enjoying it.
latest report
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
According to Ski Tracks:

And we have a winner

Such a pleasant chap, have a nice day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy