Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non Boring Baselayers ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hope this is ok to post here - but if not apologies in advance

I'm working on designing some new ski base layers. I'm reaching out to the community because I'm looking for some feedback on what patterns people would be interested in.

I want to create base layers that not only look great but also perform well on the slopes.

I'm curious to hear what patterns you think would work well for a ski base layer. Do you prefer bold and graphic designs, or something more subtle and understated? Are there any particular patterns or themes that you would like to see?

I am committed to using high-quality materials and creating designs that stand out from the crowd. I want to create base layers that are not only functional and comfortable but also unique and eye-catching.

I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have. Your input will help us create base layers that people are excited to wear on the slopes and in the bar afterwards

Thanks so much for your help. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CrazyGoat wrote:
I want to create base layers that are not only functional and comfortable but also unique and eye-catching.

I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have. Your input will help us create base layers that people are excited to wear on the slopes and in the bar afterwards

Good luck - I think base layers are the least stoke worthy aspect of skiing and I'd be highly suspicious of anyone who was excited to wear a particular combination.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My base layers are never visible, so for me, patterns are irrelevant.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can see kids going for this.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My perfect baselayers would be merino, Dennis the Menace or Gaultier type stripes, absolutely not pink or pastel colours, and most of all - not blinking see through. My sports bra does not need to be on show when I've stripped off the layers if it's a sweaty day.

Not bothered about the bottoms but recently shared a chalet with a lady who had some very cool Bjorn Borg base layers with I think giraffes all over them. Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrsthecramps has some great base layers from Sweaty Betty.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm with @dode - They are base layers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I will wear just a base layer top down to Breakfast and will take off my top layers at lunch and in the Bar, which is why I personally look for a more exciting top - that said I don't expect everyone to take that same approach ( I tend to get warm easily) so am normally the first to be down to a base layer in an Apres setting
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ElzP wrote:
My perfect baselayers would be merino, Dennis the Menace or Gaultier type stripes, absolutely not pink or pastel colours, and most of all - not blinking see through. My sports bra does not need to be on show when I've stripped off the layers if it's a sweaty day.

Not bothered about the bottoms but recently shared a chalet with a lady who had some very cool Bjorn Borg base layers with I think giraffes all over them. Happy

Thanks for the insight ! all very helpful
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have baselayers with cannabis leaves printed all over it.
Did I buy it because of the print? No.
I bought it because it was cheap for the quality.

I know Under Armour had a range of Marvel superhero ones a few years ago.

Just stick to block solid colours. Most people don't look good in a base layer...
If you had to, then go for comedy ones like the head in the hole fun fair postcard/photo things.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My first priority in a base layer is its performance (warmth, moisture wicking etc.)
My second is how see-through it is as I like to walk around in just thermal top and thermal leggings when in self-catering accommodation, and prefer not to have my bum on show.
Third priority is value for money.
Tbh the pattern would be very far down the list of priorities - I usually wear black or navy blue.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's the difference between a long-sleeved t-shirt and a base layer?

Colour-block or patterns are both fine, as long as the colours are bright (no pastels). Logos should be discreet.

Personally, I am mostly interested in the fabric (preferably 100% merino wool, not see through, 140gsm+ for summer, 190gsm+ for winter) and the fit (not too close, but has shape). The colour or pattern is secondary to that, though something that is stylish is going to be more versatile for general day-to-day wear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine are black. Comfort and performance before looks. I can't see them when they are covered up with a midlayer, and I'll have midlayer on when I go to breakfast.
I'd accept anthracite or very dark navy blue too, all plain of course.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For "the bar" I would want something with a neck zip (round necks are unflattering if you have anything but miniscule boobs). Small all-over pattern (not pastels) is less cruel on the lumpy bits than plain block colours - @Gored is right that most people don't look good in base layers, as they tend to cling.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:

Personally, I am mostly interested in the fabric (preferably 100% merino wool, not see through, 140gsm+ for summer, 190gsm+ for winter) and the fit (not too close, but has shape). The colour or pattern is secondary to that, though something that is stylish is going to be more versatile for general day-to-day wear.

That's a good point - I wear mine for hiking as well, but the see-through-ness of some merino layers will make me chuck a t-shirt on over which I'd rather not do.
latest report
Depends what you mean by base layer.
Vest or short sleeve type may never be seen (though if hot in flat, room or bar, I could strip off and walk/sit around in it).
Long sleeve layer over that might be seen more, fair enough.
Either way, we're just back to personal taste & fashion choice, or price, or functionality, or whatever everyone else's said.
Personally, I don't usually do colours or patterns or words. Another plain black fan.
snow report
Base layers for me are just that - a base. I don't give 2 hoots what they look like because they're always covered up! (always ski in Jan/early feb, when it's cold). The most visibility they will have is at breakfast, where no-one gives a moment's thought what anyone else is wearing.

It needs to be warm and wicking, and wash well, and that's it. No way would I pay more for anything which looked different/special/unusual.

But maybe I'm not your target audience, as I bought my base layers 10 years ago, and have only added maybe 2 extra tops in that time. They only get a week's wear each year, so have plenty of life left in them!
latest report
Pattern: Maybe Yetis or Marmots or Mountain Goats or Old Wooden Skis with Spring Bindings/Bamboo Poles/Leather Ski Boots

Material: As long as it wicks away moisture and is a reasonably tight fit, it will do the job.
ski holidays
Just because base layers are used for skiing, doesn’t mean they have to have “ski things” printed on them! How about these https://eu.monsroyale.com/collections/womens-base-layer/products/cascade-ls-floral-camo-womens-fw22
snow conditions
@Scarlet, sis in law has those. They’re a bit disturbing
snow conditions
@under a new name, not just a bit disturbing, extremely disturbing! Shocked
ski holidays
I like kitties
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Just because base layers are used for skiing, doesn’t mean they have to have “ski things” printed on them! How about these https://eu.monsroyale.com/collections/womens-base-layer/products/cascade-ls-floral-camo-womens-fw22

My other half wears those. This seasons ones are even harder to look at - the same sort of print as car manufacturers stick all over new models to disguise them. I can’t even look at them without going cross eyed.

https://nz.monsroyale.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/cascade-merino-flex-ls-checkers-mens-fw23
latest report
@hang11, ouch.
snow report
Mrsthecramps has this one. Looks great, but I am the only person other than her who sees it. Not sure it's apres wear. As others have said, funky underwear is probably more for the young team.

ski holidays
I like that set, @thecramps. You could wear that to a Pilates class, I reckon.
latest report
thanks for all the thoughts so far , appreciate its not for everyone ( its clearly a niche )
snow report
Thermal tops should be a different colour/pattern to the bottoms. Otherwise they just look the same jumble of merino/polyester and you get them mixed up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, I’ve got that one!

OP, Sweaty Betty do come up with interesting new women’s designs every year and I end up giving in and getting the odd new ones.

by contrast, my husband is broadly disinterested in design or variety. So long as they are technically good and he has enough clean for the trip, that’s him sorted. He has quite a bit of HH/icebreaker. He has a few snow finel merino sweaters mainly for après (I wear them as mid layers when it’s chilly). I bought all of it for christmases etc.

My older daughter has quite a few base layers and likes interesting patterns whereas my older son just has a collection of wedze. He really couldn’t care less.

What do you mean by eye catching, not the loud retro (OOSC?) style? Although you do see enough of it around that someone must be taking it seriously!
ski holidays
Why do base layers nearly always have long legs when you are not meant to tuck them into your boots? Maybe this is just a short person’s complaint?!
latest report
@Skimum1, you sound like us really. Mrsthecramps got another Sweaty Betty one this winter, but my stuff is pretty boring. My bottoms are 3/4 length Falke merino that I got in TK max about 15 years ago. Still ace, and just plain blue.
snow report
I like funky.
My stuff all has to be identifiably different from my other stuff, so I can work out which bits to wash when, and generally tell it apart.
I wear the stuff a lot, mostly I just like the close fitting feel of it, it works in the gym just as well as for snowboarding.
snow conditions
I go with two sets of thermals all season. One set I prefer muted dark colours because I go fishing quite a lot after I've been up the hill, so it works for not scaring the trout off. I chuck them away at the end of the season, because I CBA to wash them, and by that time they stink and are covered in blood and fish guts.

I have a nicer non stinky set for heli days and hut trips. Don't want the heli driver to get put off by the funky smell from the back seat.

I do go with a couple of spare pairs of socks though, but my boots are nasty because they live in the back of the truck for 4 months a year, so the socks get infected.
snow report
So I wear Bawbags stuff, which tends to be quite bright, but not particularly good at wicking or particularly warm. However, I don’t really feel the cold so don’t need anything that is desperately efficient. Mrs SL on the other hand does feel the chill and favours Kari Traa (via Sport Pursuit) it is patterned in a subtle way; feminine; and fitted. It is merino based stuff and the LJs are 3/4, which as others have said is important for ski boots. BBs are similarly 3/4. Again as others have said neck zips are good, but should have a good welt behind them. Particularly important for the ahem “older athlete” and/or those sporting facial hair.
snow report
Most important for one piece base design is a cat flap ... Have only ever seen one set with this essential incorporated.
ski holidays
Quote:

one piece base design

Shocked Shocked Shocked Surely there can be no such thing?
snow conditions
I'm short and bought some kids merino ones on Amazon years ago. The top is blue and green striped and the bottoms are pink and purple striped. They're quite the combo when seen together, but they were a bargain. I also have a pair of Christmassy leggings from Primark that have a brushed inner, so are very warm.

I like patterns (I particularly like the sound of the giraffe ones upthread) and I echo the poster who says they must not be see through, particularly the leggings. I usually drop the children at ski school before getting fully ready myself, so I will go in leggings, a hoody and my boots and then go back to the accommodation and don my salopettes etc, so they need to be able to stand alone as clothing.

Mr. O and the minis don't care. The minis have a mixture of Aldi and Sondico. Mr. O has a blue set. He looks hilariously like a Smurf in the full set, but that's for my eyes only. @limegreen1, It has the 'cat flap', which adds to the hilarity of the look.
Mr. O and eldest child rarely wear base layers on the bottom, and eldest often just wears a football shirt on top as he runs hot and he prefers the technical fabric. Mr. O bounces between his actual base top, and a range of long sleeve tops.
ski holidays
I was reminded yesterday that a year ago there was a very well built guy walking around in just a tight black base layer top, and I commented on his BatNipples.

Whether underwear or body parts, I’d suggest that complex patterns can serve the purpose of obscuring them. Whether they are funky/trendy, or Laura Ashley, will be for the taste of the buyer.
I love my merino with the zip polo, extra temperature regulation.
latest report
I have a mix of Icebreaker long and shot sleave merino baselayers. I wear a long sleeve under the short sleeve for skiing with a mid layerdown jacket which usually comes off by lunch. A goretex top layer.

The Icebreakers do have motifs but are not particularly colourful or interesting (like me). Had been under the impression merino had limitations with colour. I have used them for years, usually two sets for a weeks skiing as no smell and wick well. Only use them for skiing and anticipate never needing to change them or buy more. I ski four weeks a year usually.

I have some other merino base layers bought from Sports Pursuit but they are itchy. Currently wearing a dark blue sleeveless merino under my uniform. Wear it all Winter and have done for a few years. Washed every other week as no smell. A few small holes but who cares. I would change cotton teeshirts after two wears.

I think decent colours/motifs in merino would work. Could be expensive though. All my icebreaker merino have been presents. Not sure if many people would spend out on a £100 teeshirt.
snow report
Plenty of patterned base layers if you know where to look, but these are expensive.

Devold, We Norwegians, Kari Traa and House of Hygge are just the Norwegian brands.

Smartwool and Icebreaker.

Just ordered the Devold Kvitegga shirt which has a pattern on one side and is reversible with solid colours on the other side.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy