Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski lifts 23-24

Poster: A snowHead
@menatarms, that’s a good idea , it will knock out about three different ancient chairs . You won’t find either resort building a lift to make it easy to transition out if they’re systems although I’ve always suspected that the double drag is the lift least likely to be shut in high winds .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, Would that it were universally the case. Some never get replaced. Crying or Very sad
It's fine if they don't server a purpose anymore, but some were actually pretty useful.
Just around here...
All the Torgon are now (Tor)gone but not forgotten.
Lift from Sundance back up to Pt de l'Au never replaced.
2 of my favourites in Avoriaz: the drag from next to Tour that went round the Ruches building and into town, so you could avoid Tour, and the drag back to Crete from where the Folie Douce is now ( so you could avoid Tour ).
Theres lots more, but those are the ones that would still have utility.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I really dislike that drag lift (I'm a snowboarder) replacing it is a god send

jafa wrote:
https://www.j2ski.com/ski-news/item/20283/two-new-6-seat-chairlifts-kitzbuhel-winter

New for 23/24 in Kitz

Will make coming back to/from Barenbadkogel easier back to the 3S
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@OuatteDePhoque, yeah well but yeah but etc, sometimes there are obvious reasons not to replace lifts innt?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob Mackley wrote:
@menatarms, that’s a good idea , it will knock out about three different ancient chairs . You won’t find either resort building a lift to make it easy to transition out if they’re systems although I’ve always suspected that the double drag is the lift least likely to be shut in high winds .

I think they're keeping the chairlifts (oldest across both resorts I think), I usually chairlift up from La Thuile village to the peak tbh (3 chairlifts). Maybe the gondola will be faster though. I've seen some absolutely ridiculous queues for that draglift in the past, I think if they could work out some other route it would be great, or even replace it with a high capacity lift. It does seem though there's still loads of potential ways to put new pistes in, it's certainly grown alot since I was a kid.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@OuatteDePhoque, but I see what you mean. Crikey. I thought there was a lot more in Torgon than there is now Shocked including one rather nice and steep bumps run.

It does look as though one might have a nice end of day off piste home run though?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone aware of any new lifts planned for the Via lattea or the Monterosa next year?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Owlette, what’s the payoff in accommodation to pay for this ? I’m sure there will be one .

La Plagne and Les Arcs are packed as it is now
I’ve had a place in Arc 1800 for 20 years and have never noticed a direct correlation between property development (which is undertaken by a range of developers) and installation of new lifts (done by the ADS company, which is ultimately owned by CDA along with a bunch of other lift companies). I think the developers do their thing and the lift company does its thing with no quid pro quo arrangements between them. The lift company has a long term plan, and property development is within the local authority’s control and also takes advantage of the longer term zoning they have done for expanding the resort (IIRC, a major development in Arc 1800 has been cancelled or pushed back by concerns over water management, nothing to do with whether lifts are constructed or not).

I think the TransArc will take a couple of years to complete (although I’m not sure if that includes the groundwork and new ticket office building which were done in Summer 2022), and it can’t come soon enough. Current lift is slow and uncomfortable, new lift will be seated and much quicker.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar,
Yes, the Transarc renovation includes the ticket office and the escalator leading up to it. According to the website I read, they were Phase 1 of the work, and the lift itself is Phase 2. Do you think the life will be finished in time for next season?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they can’t go the lift over the summer, I.e. it’ll be out of action next season, that’ll be a big issue getting over the ridge to 2000
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TOOTIE,
moosepig wrote:
More info than you could ever want: https://www.skiresort.info/ski-lifts/planned/

Use "limit by region" to home in on your area of interest.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Owlette, @Boris, @rob@rar, this blog post from Les Arcs indicates the new Transarc won't be ready until December 2024:https://www.lesarcs.com/blog/les-nouveautes-du-domaine. I would expect the current lift to still be operational next season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris wrote:
If they can’t go the lift over the summer, I.e. it’ll be out of action next season, that’ll be a big issue getting over the ridge to 2000
It would be a major PITA if the TransArc wasn’t operational next winter. I wonder if they can do the work in two phases and still keep it running?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe they will be building it in 2 sections like they did the Sauliere gondola out of meribel. Replace 1 section this year and the other next?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Probably not important to most here, but Mt Bachelor is replacing the Skyliner HS quad with a HS six. Soon; the project will affect spring ops a bit.
snow report
The Vallandry chairlift, Les Arcs, has been upgraded to a gondola, this year. It might have been last year, but the lockdown stopped us going.
I was wondering what the advantage was until Ozboy mentioned mountain bikes.

Just started me thinking about going in the summer now!!
snow report
TCSC47 wrote:
Much better for downloading in the winter. Means beginners can take advantage of the excellent nursery terrain at the top of that lift and get back to the resort without the hassle of downloading on a chairlift. Ditto pedestrians who can easily meet skiers on the hill.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
TCSC47 wrote:
Much better for downloading in the winter. Means beginners can take advantage of the excellent nursery terrain at the top of that lift and get back to the resort without the hassle of downloading on a chairlift. Ditto pedestrians who can easily meet skiers on the hill.
That makes a lot of sense. I have to admit I was thinking selfishly purely of my own needs. Definitely thinking of a summer holiday there now.
snow conditions
@TCSC47, the old Vallandry chair was always open for bikes anyway. The big win with the new gondy is for beginners, as @rob@rar says. Teaching beginners over there was a disaster before the new investment.
latest report
menatarms wrote:

They're extending the La Thuile Gondola to the peak for next year, though I suspect it's more aimed at summer mountain bikers. Would be nice if they improved some of the infrastructure for getting back and forth between the La Rosiere and La Thuile, it can get quite bottlenecked.

Do you have any more details on this as I can't find anything about it on the La Thuile site or anywhere TBH. Puzzled
ski holidays
@TCSC47, The Vallandry lift was opened last season. As has been said it's great for beginners, it also avoids the twice a day bottle neck when ski schools are putting 1 child per chair on with people - now just throw them all in Toofy Grin

I really like the development at the top of the Vallandry lift was well, particularly the fact there are loos there now, the museum is worth a look as well
ski holidays
@TOOTIE, In Montgenevre, the Rocher de L'Aigle lift is being upgraded to a fast 6 man, which will shorten the ride from 15 mins to approx 5 mins. There are some upgrades on the Chalvet side too.

In Claviere, they are building a new lift on the other side of Rocher de l'aigle which will increase the options of crossings from Italy to France.
snow report
Brilliant thankyou
snow report
http://flemxpress.ch/?lang=en

So this looks an interesting one in Flims. A 6 station on-demand gondola under construction. So gondola's only depart when there is demand rather continually departing and running. You tell it which station you want to go to, it sends you a gondola which parks while you board and it then navigates to and stops at the correct station. Part due to open this year and the balance of the stations next year.

I presume it self regulates and stores gondola's ready to go at each station but at high demand times shuttles them back to bottom for uploading (or to the upper stations for downloading at the end of the day).
snow report
menatarms wrote:
They're extending the La Thuile Gondola to the peak for next year, though I suspect it's more aimed at summer mountain bikers. Would be nice if they improved some of the infrastructure for getting back and forth between the La Rosiere and La Thuile, it can get quite bottlenecked.

Do you have a source for that, preferably a graphic?
from where to where is this gondola going - Les Suches (end first lift) to Chaz Dura?

latest report
www.skiresort.de is not exactly trustworthy, quite some wishful thinking of local tourist office in there

The best site to keep track of proposed and actual new construction is RM forum, here is a link to 2023 constructions
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showforum=208

The best site for Italy, the link is google translated
https://www-skiforum-it.translate.goog/board/index.php?_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_en=nl&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Another really good one, alpinforum, the link is google translated
https://www-alpinforum-com.translate.goog/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp
snow conditions
The big one here is the US is the tram at Big Sky.
https://bigskyresort.com/lone-peak-tram-faqs
They plan to charge per ride ($10-$40). That is going over about as well as a fart in church.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy