Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accomodation Away from Resort: Help

Poster: A snowHead
The daughter (in Val d'Isere as I type) has announced that she and the BF plan to go to France with the 2 Basset hounds for 4 months*, Nov to end Feb. She will be remote working. She hopes to save accom money by happily living well away from resort, but within 45 mins to an hour. I've suggested being within2 hours of GVA too, for work needs if she has to return for meetings. She/they like the PdS and GM areas,s o I suggested Taninges as a possibility, but accom on airbnb is eye watering for a decent place.

So, any ideas for a) suitable towns; b) accom sources other than 'tourist' ones?

Thanks.

* seems to need visas? Maybe 3 months?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charliegolf wrote:
The daughter (in Val d'Isere as I type) has announced that she and the BF plan to go to France with the 2 Basset hounds for 4 months*, Nov to end Feb. She will be remote working. She hopes to save accom money by happily living well away from resort, but within 45 mins to an hour. I've suggested being within2 hours of GVA too, for work needs if she has to return for meetings. She/they like the PdS and GM areas,s o I suggested Taninges as a possibility, but accom on airbnb is eye watering for a decent place.

So, any ideas for a) suitable towns; b) accom sources other than 'tourist' ones?

Thanks.

* seems to need visas? Maybe 3 months?

There may be places available but short term let’s outside of ‘holiday’ type accommodation will be in short supply as it’s rare to get short term deals especially over the winter period. Assuming they are British nationals She/they can be in France/Europe for 90 days in a 180 day period so will also need to consider any other time spent in the Schengen area in the run up to November as I also understand that a tourist visa does not allow any type of work to be undertaken whilst in France but stand to be corrected, they would need to show sufficient funds for the time they are in France, have health insurance (not simply travel insurance) and the dog travel docs are another issue.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you get a long stay tourist visa for France you swear not to work. You would need a visa for more than 90 days in 180. If you are on a laptop I don't know how they would tell though.
Dogs will be a palava - not my area of expertise - but @tigski is.
Sorry, can't help with resorts close to GVA, I'm a bit far away.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would Sallanches be too close to ski areas for comfort / cost?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cluses, just a short distance down the hill.

Look along D907 Road from Taninges to Bonne as many villages along there and pretty convenient without being so associated with skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Sallanches has a bit more to it than Taninges. Great variety of skiing available from there.

Hells Bells and Weathercam are experts on taking dogs to and from France.

Many resorts will have little skiing before mid December, some not till Christmas week. From point of view of economical accommodation two separate stints, one from mid-December till first week of February, another from second week of March till the end of the season, might work well, leaving owners with the lucrative 4 French school holiday weeks. For best logistics of skiing and working, I'd prefer to be really near to the skiing, facilitating a quick half day out when conditions are perfect. Presumably the hounds will be left at home when skiing - not the ideal dogs for deep snow?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Italy have the concept of a "digital nomad" visa allowing you to work remotely. France doesn't. Hurrah for Brexit
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Charliegolf,
Do they have resort(s) in mind?
Albertville?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 10-04-23 19:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll throw in the hat for St Jean de Maurienne and Modane. Both valley towns with some (heavy) industry and TGV stations but very close to the Maurienne resorts.

The local immobiliers would seem the best bet for a long term rent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Italy is the right answer, not least as the visa regime makes more sense. Plenty of options near dolomites or in Aosta valley. Might be they speak more French is the reason to lean that way, an important piece of information missing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Italy a good idea. Aosta would work. Not too far from Turin airport. Lots of options. Read the fantastic report by ElzP about their season remote working, based in Aosta and visiting resorts in the valley. They do indeed speak a lot of French there, as @zikomo says, though the garage to which my car was towed, years ago, with a bust clutch, insisted they spoke none at all. Perhaps to duck out of responsibility for having failed to fill the gearbox with oil......
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Innsbruck

France would be a PITA if ski days are only non working days.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I believe that although digital nomad visas have been agreed in principle by the Italian parliament, they have not yet been activated. I couldn't find any way to apply for one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think Digital Nomad visas are relevant here - AFAIK the minimum stay for any is 6 months, and most are a year. Also I don't think any alpine countries have a Digital Nomad visa system in place yet - I'm not counting Croatia as an alpine country.

Regarding duration of stay and working, my understanding is that if you keep with 90 days out of 180 days in the Schengen area, then you shouldn't be working, but there's a continuum from answering one urgent work call, through daily email checks, then occasional planned work calls, then a few days planned remote work, then scaling up to working remotely full time when away. AFAIK no EU country has clearly defined the line on that continuum for UK citizens, so there's not necessarily an explicit rule to break. However, if you apply for a longer term tourist visa, then that requires that you explicitly state that you're not going to be working
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

France would be a PITA if ski days are only non working days

Eh?
ski holidays
There seem to be two questions here: where to be, and how to manage 4 months.

The advice above sounds like a visa could create problems with the remote working, probably better to fit within the 90 days in 180 standard allowance and remain under the radar. However that means planning to keep out of anywhere in Europe for several months in advance.

Where is very personal. Given she is currently in Val d'Isere perhaps she should look at Bourg as an option, Moutiers might be more economical but while it has access to many more places the travel times increase.

For the more Northern French resorts, Taninges sounds to me a bit niche. In the Arve valley - where I would guess rentals will relate more the the business market - Cluses is closest for access to PdS and GM but I would guess Sallanches is a more congenial town with somewhat easier access to Chamonix and Evasion Mont Blanc (and Espace Diamant). There are other towns along there too, I doubt Bonneville or Magland are especially expensive, and Passy certainly won't be. It depends on the expected lifestyle, those won't offer the lifestyle of a holiday-oriented resort.

Aosta and Innsbruck are certainly good suggestions elsewhere, though in the latter case I fear rents might not be in range.
ski holidays
Gored wrote:
Innsbruck

Why would regular skiing in France, on days off, be a PITA? Puzzled
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
Gored wrote:
Innsbruck

Why would regular skiing in France, on days off, be a PITA? Puzzled

Assuming it is weekend skiing only, then getting around during transfer day to the resort & then back again could mean a lot of heavy traffic, time sat in queues, etc.
Prob better to just stay in a resort or ones that are accessible by train/tram.

What might look 20mins away on a map, can easily turn into an hour or 2! How many Saturdays are you going to do, before giving up on skiing Saturday's?

Not being in a resort probably rules out any skiing on a working day. Somewhere like Innsbruck with good train links (or Ziller Valley) & in resort ski bus would be a lot less stressful.
snow conditions
- no knowledge on the visa side.

Cluses is a bit bleugh. Sallanches a much nicer spot. 10 mins extra on motorway. If not nec France, Aosta might work but I suspect more frequent uk flights from GVA.
latest report
As no one has answered the dog questions, I'll jump in here.

They will both need rabies vaccinations at least 21 days before travel which is easy enough to arrange with your vet. ***

Prior to travel, you will then require an animal health certificate (AHC) which your vet should also be able to complete. Depending on your vet, this will cost anything over £100, probably nearer £150-200 for 2 dogs. Travel needs to be within 10 days of the AHC being issued. The AHC is for a single trip and would be valid to use for return within 4 months.*** Personally, I would look to try and get an EU pet passport whilst in the EU as that can make things easier for future travel but that is a whole different subject.

We use Eurotunnel for travel with the dog, as the journey is easier and quicker for us and you stay in the car with the dog for the journey.

The other thing you need to consider is other dog logistics including any medication and vet visits. It would certainly be worth checking out local vets. Technically in France, if the dog is staying more than 3 months it should be registered in the French iCAD system. Not sure about other countries.

Also, consider dog food as it may not be possible to get their regular food where you are going. Pre-Brexit we used to take her regular food out with us (don't underestimate how much food this is) and then order top-ups online. This is now not possible as you can no longer take meat products into the EU.

Depending where you end up staying, a look at other dog accessories might be worthwhile. For example, a decent paw-wax, goggles, jackets etc

Hope that helps answer a few things, I'm sure others will jump in with anything I've missed.

*** Disclaimer. You will need to double check timeframes (as we have a EU PP and so not used an AHC for a while) but your vet should be up to speed and be able to advise on the latest.
snow report
Wow, loads to read! I will get on it, thanks everyone so far.
snow conditions
Quote:

I will get on it

Or even better, she can get on it!!
ski holidays
@under a new name, agree with this completely, much prefer Sallanches. There are a number of small villages around Taninges and might be better than being down in the Arve valley as it can get the rotten end of the inversions in winter and you are in pollution.
ski holidays
Any advice on where to look for 'normal' renting; as distinct from a skiing rabbit hutch costing a kidney a month?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I will get on it

Or even better, she can get on it!!

I think I'll arrange the advice, then she can get on the spending!
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
Any advice on where to look for 'normal' renting; as distinct from a skiing rabbit hutch costing a kidney a month?

Short term let’s are highly regulated in France, probably best to try a few estate agents in the areas she’s looking at but you can also try somewhere like seloger.com or logic-immo.com under their ‘louer’ sections which will give you an idea of rental costs for normal properties.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 11-04-23 13:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Where do they live in the UK? Can they offset the cost of accommodation in France against not having to pay here?
snow conditions
@andmelffion, Cheers. Will do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Swansea, and no. They are soon to buy a place (renting at the mo), but seem to think it clever to have the 'abroad fling' first and buy on return. (Neither side's parents are offering to re-home them till they buy!)
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
@pam w, Swansea, and no. They are soon to buy a place (renting at the mo), but seem to think it clever to have the 'abroad fling' first and buy on return. (Neither side's parents are offering to re-home them till they buy!)

Never to old to slap some sense into them? but I think slapping your kids is now banned in Wales?

Big obstacle - will they be allowed to work overseas by employer? / Will they even be allowed to login when overseas.
Working overseas is a big no-no where I work. You need permission & then need IT to grant your device privileged permission to log in from somewhere that is not in the UK.
Account is automatically locked if it login is from outside the UK. If someone does get permission, then they need a different device with ramped up security, meaning slim-down access. That becomes problematic if they need to access apps that are not cloud hosted.

If they want that type of fling abroad, then they would probably be better taking a month off work & going for all of January than trying to find somewhere for short term lease, juggle work commitments & managing to get to the slopes for about a total of 30 days skiing.
snow conditions
Charliegolf wrote:

Maybe check out Leboncoin?
snow report
@Gored, They a both in IT, she with a global company; and is sure it'll be no problem. You raise other salient points.

She dropped this idea whilst abroad this week, so plenty of down-to-earth moments ahead! I happen to think the animal issues are much bigger than they anticipate, for example.

Still exciting though.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, me and my husband did similar for two months in Italy (Aosta) last year, and a month each in Sweden and Austria this year. There's a bit of a gray area as mentioned above with working, and to be honest no one asked and we didn't volunteer the information.

I would say that we enjoyed being close to a lift to get out most days, as we were in Italy and Sweden, and found only skiing weekends i n Austria (we stayed in Salzburg) a bit irritating - cos that's when everyone else is skiing! Laughing In Italy and Sweden, it was actually nice to be able to have a proper day off from everything once in a while.

We used airbnb for all accommodation, and booked quite far in advance to get a decent place. We've looked at France but struggled to find places to suit (you absolutely need good wifi, a washing machine, and a reasonably sized dining table to work at - surprisingly hard combination to nail), though Briancon comes closest in our searches normally.
snow report
Re what the employer thinks, the main issue is whether working from France (or whichever country) is treated as the employer having activity in France. If so, the employer will be obliged to register for all manner of tax and employment legislation in France, which will be costly. Any HR department is not going to be gung-ho about this.
ski holidays
@viv, Will press her on this. @ElzP, Yep, closer than her original idea might be better.
latest report
Re accommodation, it's definitely worth trying local estate agents. One thing to consider is services, especially Internet. I did a seasonal rental via an estate agent back in the days of dial-up, and had to arrange this myself. It wasn't too tricky, but took a few days. If they'd have to do similar for an Internet connection, this would be an issue if they rely on it for work.

Re washing clothes, some towns still have launderettes, which would save the need for a washing machine.

And re a working place, a folding table works well if one person is Ok working just on a laptop, but is a bit more dubious if they need a second screen
latest report
Re the dogs. It’s definitely a good move to get a pet passport once in France. Bear in mind that the rabies vaccination needs to be current on leaving the U.K. for the AHC, but you will also need one done in France to add it to the EU passport. We got away with it/it was missed at Calais for half a dozen visits (ignorance on the part of everyone I think) but then it was spotted on a return trip last year. Thankfully a quick late afternoon “cash only” visit to a vet in Calais sorted the problem.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy