Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone use a ski finder tag/app?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a device that finds the errant ski that has released and disappeared into the powder? Resqski retails at £98 and should be attached with screws. I’d prefer something that can be swapped easily from one pair of skis to another.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Powder traces/ribbons.

Old school solution that really works.

And...yes I know...I will be howled down but lots here who regard them as silly, but from first hand experience they are easy to use and make finding those lost skis a real cinch
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resqski are no longer trading but they still have a few sets available at a fair discount If you go to their site you can email with your requirements. They might have extra bases as well as sets so you could attach to more than one set of skis that way.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 11-04-23 19:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Resqskis are good. I've used them. The only thing with them is the odd size of battery, always buy spares at home to take with you. I bought extra bases so I could use them on both sets of skis and a mate bought an extra pair of transponders for his skis to use with my receiver.

Powder traces? Too much faff for me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tile no good?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
adithorp wrote:
Resqski are no longer trading but they still have a few sets available at a fair discount. If you go to their site you can email with your requirements. They might have extra bases as well as sets so you could attach to more than one set of skis that way.

adithorpe, I bought all their remaining stock and spares last year. Only got two full sets left plus one set of replacement homing tags pair with a receiver. The bases are now completely sold out so guard them with your life and if you sell your skis make sure you remove them etc.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-04-23 19:13; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I must have got in just before you then Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, this is a long-shot but I'm hoping you have some Resqski bits still for sale. I'm especially looking for a pair of homing tags but I'd be interested in buying a full set too if you have any left.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just don't fall
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eat Sleep Ski wrote:
spyderjon, this is a long-shot but I'm hoping you have some Resqski bits still for sale. I'm especially looking for a pair of homing tags but I'd be interested in buying a full set too if you have any left.

Sorry but everything is sold out a year ago.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not surprised, but thanks for the reply anyway, spyderjon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An old thread, I know, but thought I'd post anyway. We've just bought a set of 4 Apple AirTag's to go in our luggage (having had a case stolen). There's also a set of waterproof cases you can buy with 3M on the back to put the AirTag's into.

Can't see why this combination wouldn't work as a way of locating a ski as the app let's you track the tag to within a meter using Bluetooth and you can activate the built-in beeper once close enough.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's interesting, so thank you @ratkinsonuk. This may have been one of the reasons Resqski ceased trading - if Apple users could get the same result without screwing bases into skis and carrying a separate transponder for lower cost. I use Android rather then Apple, but maybe they have something similar. I'll research.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rungsp, +1
I found mine in a box in the loft a couple of weeks ago.
I bought these traces in Ischgl back in 1993, when we used to get (or at least deep snow) powder on rare occasions.

I can't remember the last time I used them, probably 25 years.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eat Sleep Ski wrote:
That's interesting, so thank you @ratkinsonuk. This may have been one of the reasons Resqski ceased trading - if Apple users could get the same result without screwing bases into skis and carrying a separate transponder for lower cost. I use Android rather then Apple, but maybe they have something similar. I'll research.

I'm also an Android user, and there's an equivilent out there called a Tile - https://uk.tile.com/en

The downside is that Android users have to install and enable the Tile app to use the location services, so realistically only people buying a Tile would have this running. Apple users on the other hand have it running permanently in the background, so will always pick up on devices.

This isn't a problem if you just want to track something close by, but no good if you're looking for a lost or stolen item and need it to be tracked by other peoples devices, which is the reason for us purchasing.
latest report
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Eat Sleep Ski wrote:

I'm also an Android user, and there's an equivilent out there called a Tile - https://uk.tile.com/en

The downside is that Android users have to install and enable the Tile app to use the location services, so realistically only people buying a Tile would have this running. Apple users on the other hand have it running permanently in the background, so will always pick up on devices.

This isn't a problem if you just want to track something close by, but no good if you're looking for a lost or stolen item and need it to be tracked by other peoples devices, which is the reason for us purchasing.

I have the Samsung version of Tile (Galaxy SmartTag). I bought them to track luggage for which they are great, and they connect to all Samsung Galaxy phones in the same way that AirTags work - but unfortunately are quite useless for finding lost skis. The app won't tell you exactly how far away they are or in what direction, just pinpoints the location of the nearest Samsung phone that they can connect to (which will probably be your phone). The beeping noise can be turned on via the app and is relatively loud in the open air, but it cannot be heard if they are buried deeper than about 20cm in loose snow.
snow conditions
@musehead, Apple added a special chip that broadcasts the location over a high frequency. That's what lets you track it's location so precisely (providing you have a recent iPhone). I take it Samsung haven't followed suit with the S2x phones then?
ski holidays
Just found this which says Samsung does have the same UWB support, so you can you it for your tags @musehead.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/apps-services/how-to-find-galaxy-smarttag-plus-with-smartthings-find-and-camera/
latest report
Bet they wished they had one Laughing

snow report
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Just found this which says Samsung does have the same UWB support, so you can you it for your tags @musehead.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/apps-services/how-to-find-galaxy-smarttag-plus-with-smartthings-find-and-camera/

Yes you're right, thanks for pointing this out! Seems they are more useful than I had thought.
latest report
But it still doesn't know the location of the tag, they are just using the antenna to find the direction of the source. Android got full support for that feature in v13.
snow conditions
It uses the ping return timing to work out where the UWB device is. That's one of the reasons it needs it's own chip - needs to be more accurate than GPS. Generally, you can locate a UWB signal down to about 30cm. At that point, you can activate the beep to then find it.

I've been trying to find a stand-alone device that can track a UWB signal so there's no reliance on expensive mobiles, but the only applications I've found so far are industrial.

Anyone wanna come on Dragon's Den with me NehNeh
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Bet they wished they had one Laughing

Looks like the Mrs has dropped her phone again Razz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy