Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for old unfit gentleman

Poster: A snowHead
@cringingwhinging, I've not skied Rossi E88s but they have a reputation for being a reasonably stiff, damp recreational piste ski that can handle chop/crud as well. Heavy and twitchy for groomed pistes doesn't really fit with that. You do say that you're skiing more slowly than you used to, so I wonder if that means you're no longer bending them enough.

As others have said, lessons/technique could help. Equally though, if you're only skiing on piste and in "good" snow conditions then I'd be looking at a narrower piste-focused ski. You don't need lots of width underfoot, and it just makes everything harder.

Without knowing how big you are, it's hard to be specific but equally it's hard to go too badly wrong in the ~75mm category (as long as you avoid anything claiming to be close to an FIS-rated ski). How often do you ski, and how do you get there? If it's only once or twice a year, and flying, why not rent on your next holiday and try a few different skis? Much better to try them yourself rather than rely on internet experts. After all, you can't be sure any of us actually ski wink Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I’m 53 and I snowboard. Therefore I am cooler than all of the other old farts posting on this thread.

I'm 59 and I Telemark -- I see your 53 and raise in (and coolness Cool ) by 6..... Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski wot u got until you want something that will make you behave more juveniley like a bigger tail rocker for more roostering or pivot stomps. Learn some freestyle lingo like how to syrup your pancake bacon style. Fist bump your skiing pals and say " sick brah".

Rage rage against the dying of the light.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mgrolf wrote:
@cringingwhinging, I've not skied Rossi E88s but they have a reputation for being a reasonably stiff, damp recreational piste ski that can handle chop/crud as well. Heavy and twitchy for groomed pistes doesn't really fit with that. You do say that you're skiing more slowly than you used to, so I wonder if that means you're no longer bending them enough.

As others have said, lessons/technique could help. Equally though, if you're only skiing on piste and in "good" snow conditions then I'd be looking at a narrower piste-focused ski. You don't need lots of width underfoot, and it just makes everything harder.

Without knowing how big you are, it's hard to be specific but equally it's hard to go too badly wrong in the ~75mm category (as long as you avoid anything claiming to be close to an FIS-rated ski). How often do you ski, and how do you get there? If it's only once or twice a year, and flying, why not rent on your next holiday and try a few different skis? Much better to try them yourself rather than rely on internet experts. After all, you can't be sure any of us actually ski wink Laughing

Brilliant, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Ski twice a year and virtually always drive. Skied Les Gets at Christmas and the conditions were so bad the E88s were perfect, contrary, the Tignes conditions last week were so perfect they did not ski well (to me).

Was already swinging towards a set of easy piste skis. Will get another set of piste skis (gave my Pursuits to an adult son) - looks like the latest versions are rossi react?

Time to look for end of season bargains Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski lots wrote:
Isn’t SH great. Someone comes on and asks an innocent question and most of the responses answer a completely different one. I’m frankly surprised that the OP hasn’t been told that all his problems would be over if he would only fit winter tyres; wear a helmet; ski in Les Saises or anywhere in Austria.

Got AT tyres on all our vehicles and haven't skied Austria for about 8 years, sorry.

Never worn a helmet for sking (or cycling) in my entire life. Hope that doesn't upset lots of users and cause them to post furiously in defence of bin lid wearing and its positive impact on the environment, Brexit or the cost of bread in Cornwall.

Thank you for your post. I was able to sift through the meaningless drivel posts that, hopefully, gave their authors some sort of validation in their miserable lives and get to the information I needed - largely looking for confirmation bias that I need another set of piste skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Rage rage against the dying of the light.

Old age should burn and rave at close of day -

I'm the fittest I've been for years - Triple By-Pass (3CABG) ten years ago at 57. Now skiing on the second shortest pair of skis in my life at 177cms, fattest ever at 92mm width, still ski on 2 layers of titanal, and I've optimistically invested in a pair of Strolz Blue Race ski boots this year (£yikes) in the hopeful expectancy of another 10 years left in my skiing. A long time since the Sally Equipe 9000 S2's Power 8, or Dynastar SL coupe du Mondes 200cms, and Dynasty 195's, but having skied that generation of straight-liners I absolutely love the feed-back of rocker/camber/low rise skis that smash anything.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cringingwhinging, Volkl Kendos, Blizzard Brahma, Kastle FX85 HP. Eeeny, meeeny, miiny, mohhh.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cringingwhinging, worth a read through as it discusses various attributes of non conventional ski in fairly light weight https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2021-2022-black-crows-mirus-cor for an interesting ski.

Something I like, but the hardened gnarly radius focused on here generally don't, a ski with mounting more central (which this one is) has a different and more casual intent by placing you nearer centre for a "different" day out on the slopes. More toward park type geometry, playful with a forgiving balance end to end.

As noted, worth a read through, even if you don't want to buy, what they think of it as it picks up on that nuance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cringingwhinging, just as well I'm a very forgiving soul as I saw no
Quote:

meaningless drivel posts

and neither do I see that you
Quote:

need another set of piste skis

Just generally quite sensible (as you would find down the pub) suggestions that I would précis as "you aren't fit enough" and "your last service was probably a bit gash".

But, hey ho, it's your wallet.

(Oh and, probs a bit of an improvement in technique wouldn't go amiss? Happens to all of us, every time I think I'm getting a bit less good a decent session with someone else who knows what they're up to and woo hoo, back on form. Just a thought.)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I keep meaning to take my eldest lads skis out for a day on a nice piste day.
Going from 180’s & 88 wide to 163’s & 74 wide, just to see what difference I feel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I agree. Sometimes the perceived problem is not the underlying problem (and sometimes it is). Aside from unnecessary comments, Snowheads usually comes at a problem from a multitude of angles, which can be helpful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@cringingwhinging, just as well I'm a very forgiving soul as I saw no
Quote:

meaningless drivel posts

and neither do I see that you
Quote:

need another set of piste skis

Just generally quite sensible (as you would find down the pub) suggestions that I would précis as "you aren't fit enough" and "your last service was probably a bit gash".

But, hey ho, it's your wallet.

(Oh and, probs a bit of an improvement in technique wouldn't go amiss? Happens to all of us, every time I think I'm getting a bit less good a decent session with someone else who knows what they're up to and woo hoo, back on form. Just a thought.)

Drinking or skiing? Both probably work Toofy Grin ….well, in your case, possibly the former until next season…

Twisted Evil wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cacciatore, titter! Yeah, re-hab going fine but will be December before any skiing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Cacciatore, titter! Yeah, re-hab going fine but will be December before any skiing

I’ll avoid posting about any planned trips this week, in that case Laughing wink ….and, obviously and seriously, glad re-hab is going well!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought some piste skis this season at a grown up 94mm wide. Felt almost adult.
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, he he he.
latest report
johnE wrote:
@Ski lots, You forgot to mention carry a rucksack with spare gloves, goggles, water, snacks and jumper in it.

You forgot the ironing board.
latest report
I bought some piste skis this season at a grown up 94mm wide.

What?

Felt almost adult.

Laughing
snow report

That's not a piste ski. An all-mountain ski with decent piste performance, perhaps.

The move to wider skis was driven, I thought, by their versatility in off as well as on-piste skiing, but they will always be compromised on decent pistes compared to a race-width ski.

Or am I missing something, like a actual reason why you'd want wider skis on piste?
latest report
cringingwhinging wrote:
Ski lots wrote:
Isn’t SH great. Someone comes on and asks an innocent question and most of the responses answer a completely different one. I’m frankly surprised that the OP hasn’t been told that all his problems would be over if he would only fit winter tyres; wear a helmet; ski in Les Saises or anywhere in Austria.

Got AT tyres on all our vehicles and haven't skied Austria for about 8 years, sorry.

Never worn a helmet for sking (or cycling) in my entire life. Hope that doesn't upset lots of users and cause them to post furiously in defence of bin lid wearing and its positive impact on the environment, Brexit or the cost of bread in Cornwall.

Thank you for your post. I was able to sift through the meaningless drivel posts that, hopefully, gave their authors some sort of validation in their miserable lives and get to the information I needed - largely looking for confirmation bias that I need another set of piste skis.

Giving a bit more (adult?) thought to this, if you are considering a new set of planks, maybe the Salomon S Race? At 170, radius 16m, 70mm underfoot? I tested a longer version and thought they were fun. Agile, grippy, stable. 100% a piste ski. Not hugely demanding i.e. one didn’t have to be “on it” all the time. Nice for longer and shorter turns.

Just a thought.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

Or am I missing something, like a actual reason why you'd want wider skis on piste?

Nah you're not really missing anything. Just coming down from wider skis to something that is a bit more versatile on groomers, bumps, skier packed off piste or when there's dust on crust. Can do the FIS weapon thing but then they aren't very versatile by design and your ass gets spanked in a full day.

Of course you do want wider skis on piste when you hit full spring spray n pray season.
snow report
If YOU honestly believe YOU might benefit from a SOFTER flexing and NARROWER ski (easier to initiate and turn at lower speed which appears to be your now preferred province)...... If YOU genuinely believe THAT might be so........ As you appear to be in France, why not simply speak to one or two of several ski shops about your concern........? Who would be better to serve you.......? To give you sound, in person assessment......? Who......? Not me.

ps: Weight is NOT the issue.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy