Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to book a trip to the Dolomites (Selva Val Gardena) for a non-standard-sized group

Poster: A snowHead
We're a group of five - one couple, three singles - who go away together for a week each year. We usually do France (mostly Three Valleys) but thought we'd try Italy this year, and the Dolomites looks to be perfect. Selva caught our eye as probably the best located for our needs. The problem is finding somewhere to stay..!

We're just looking for a half-board package... private chalet, hotel (most likely), whatever.

But... the complexity is that our three singletons would prefer to have their own rooms - and are fine paying a reasonable premium for this. But it seems to be causing heads to explode at Inghams, who we - perhaps unwisely? - spoke to first.

We've been at this for weeks now... asking them if one hotel can accommodate... waiting a week for a reply.... to find that no, the hotel won't sell three single rooms... then trying another hotel. It feels like the back-office process entails sending paper letters to the hotels through the post.

Maybe two of the party just have to suck it up and share a twin, but before I give up... has anybody had a good experience with a package operator servicing Selva who can deal with non-standard-sized groups? Know any hotels that might be amenable?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gendal, wht not DIY?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
@gendal, wht not DIY?

We’re definitely open to that. Main reason we looked at packages first was we’d never been able to do a DIY trip cheaper than a package in France (all things kept equal re catering and allowing for hassle factor of sorting one’s own transfers, etc).

But it’s a fair point: my specific question is about Selva accommodation options for 1 double + 3 singles. I guess we can figure out how to combine it into a holiday once we figure out if that requirement can be met anywhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have to wonder how you can never do a DIY trip cheaper than a package holiday.
I sometimes go with a mixed group of singles wanting their own space & couples.
Have never managed to find a package holiday cheaper than DIY! Would be easier to organise.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gored wrote:
have to wonder how you can never do a DIY trip cheaper than a package holiday.
I sometimes go with a mixed group of singles wanting their own space & couples.
Have never managed to find a package holiday cheaper than DIY! Would be easier to organise.

When I say 'all things equal' I was thinking in terms of a leski.com-style package. Flights, transfers, private chalet, chalet host, half-board (including wine in their case), one point of contact, and the only decisions you have to make are date, resort and chalet. When we'd looked at trying to construct something similar for ourselves, the cost of flights (at similarly convenient times and airports), transfers and equivalent accommodation and catering rapidly brought the price higher... and with the extra hassle involved in doing it ourselves.

But it's not a hill I'm proposing to die on Smile

I'm just trying to find a hotel in Selva who will actually let us book three single rooms...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gendal, rather than look at individual operators try igluski and tell them your requirements
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Makes sense - thanks. I hadn’t even considered using a travel agent! Kinda obvious now - cheers.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gendal wrote:
I'm just trying to find a hotel in Selva who will actually let us book three single rooms...

Mabe worth trying the Hotel Armin. They have single rooms as you'll see from their website. I stayed there some years ago, the food is very good.

If you DIY then you could get flights into Innsbruck or Verona. Although I've not used them if there's 5 of you then a private transfer with for example Val Gardena Express shouldn't be too expensive per person.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gendal, Italian hotels seem to have more single rooms than France, I’d get in touch with then Selva tourist office and ask them for a list of those that do in Selva, then book direct and DIY the rest.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.booking.com no?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Use Booking.con to identify hotels that suit your requirements and then go to the hotels directly via their websites as the 15% you'll pay to Booking isn't worth it. The hotels will happily help. Email/Phone them with your dates, board & room requirements. Then sort your flights to Innsbruck (ideally, if not, Verona or then Venice in this order) then use Sun Transfers and you will never book with a TO again. PM me if you want any help
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
gendal wrote:

Mabe worth trying the Hotel Armin. They have single rooms as you'll see from their website. I stayed there some years ago, the food is very good.

If you DIY then you could get flights into Innsbruck or Verona. Although I've not used them if there's 5 of you then a private transfer with for example Val Gardena Express shouldn't be too expensive per person.

Perfect - thanks Alastair. Yes - this could work (if they have availability)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess, when you say

Quote:
and are fine paying a reasonable premium for this.

that you’re seeking a discount of some sort for single occupancy for 3 rooms, that otherwise can be sold for double occupancy at a higher price? If so, I suspect therein lies the problem. The room fixed costs remain the same (heating, lighting, staffing etc) and the cost of cleaning etc is still, broadly, the same. With hotel operators having lost so much from the COVID years and the high energy costs, I can see how many hoteliers are reluctant to discount.

I’ve no idea what the occupancy availability in the resort is like at the time you’re looking to go (you didn’t state when) but, if it’s at a busier time, you may continue to struggle on the package option.

If the package option is definitely your preferred route, you may need to consider booking at the normal room price for double occupancy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore wrote:
I guess, when you say

Quote:
and are fine paying a reasonable premium for this.

that you’re seeking a discount of some sort for single occupancy for 3 rooms, that otherwise can be sold for double occupancy at a higher price? If so, I suspect therein lies the problem.

No - that would indeed be delusional of me! Our experience has been that some hotels do have rooms that can only really hold one person, and are marketed as such. My comment about 'reasonable premium' was to reflect that I know they would not sell such rooms for 50% the price of a double/twin - for the very reasons you describe.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Italy there are a lot of “Garnis” which are usually b&b accommodations. Use google maps to identify locations and then contact them by email or via their websites for availability. A lot of these places have single rooms too and some also offer half board, (although most are b&b only).

We’ve been doing this approach for Corvara for next winter and have now secured somewhere. Word of warning though, it seems to be a thing in Italy where they give first refusal to guests currently staying there and a lot of our preferred Garnis were already booked up for the whole of next season, and we were told to contact them again in the autumn as previous customers would need to re-confirm by then.
snow report
DIY definitely is the way to go for the Dolomites. We’ve just booked flights to Venice with BA for £100 pp inc baggage. Transfers are 600 euro for 4 return to Corvara, and HB hotel is working out £500 pp. Ingram’s and Crystal etc couldn’t get close…
snow conditions
@surferrosa, Sorry to trouble you but that transfer sounds quite reasonable. Which company is that? No worries if you don't want to give it away. Smile
snow report
@Surferrosa - that's really useful intel (both the Garnis/B&B idea and the specific self-arrange data point vs Inghams/Crystal, etc). Cheers.
snow report
@gendal, Sorry for a part hijack of thread Smile
ski holidays
@dynastar84, we’ve booked with Venice Cabs http://www.venicecab.com/

They have a fixed rate price list on their website and have given us the same rate for next season. Cash only though.
ski holidays
DIY definitely is the way to go for the Dolomites. We’ve just booked flights to Venice with BA for £100 pp inc baggage. Transfers are 600 euro for 4 return to Corvara, and HB hotel is working out £500 pp. Ingram’s and Crystal etc couldn’t get close…
ski holidays
Whoops, weirdly that last post went through twice!
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, not really. Italy (for whatever reason) seems to be much beter sorted than other countries for having hotels with single rooms. I.e. rooms too small for double beds. It's a (weird) thing.
latest report
@surferrosa,
Quote:

we’ve booked with Venice Cabs http://www.venicecab.com/

Thank you very much that's great Smile
ski holidays
@dynastar84, many sHs (including myself) have used Venice cabs for transfers, they provide a good value service.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Thank you very much for the recommendation as although I went with a TO last minute this year (and it was great) I am leaning towards last minute DIY due to warm weather worries and also ability to squeeze an extra days skiing in.
snow conditions
dynastar84 wrote:
@gendal, Sorry for a part hijack of thread Smile

Not at all - the replies have been extremely helpful. Thanks everybody.
snow conditions
@gendal, We have stayed in Wolkenstein a couple times in the summer and found hotels through booking.com. IIRC single rooms were available and we booked at least one. Compared to our usual hotel near Alleghe they were expensive, however.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have posted this a number of times, but the official Val Gardena website is a VERY good place to start. You put in your requirements and hotels/guesthouses will get back to you (then, cross check the results with their actual web sites, and give them a call.)

Also, this is a bit early for 23/24, if that's what you're aiming for. But I know for sure that there are a fair number of hotels (although not dozens) in Selva that would probably meet your needs, although ... not cheaply, it's the most expensive town in Val G. You could also consider Santa Christina and Corvara/Colfosco, wouldn't be sacrificing much IMO.

We did not find it hard to DIY but then again we were flying from Paris to Milan or Venice, then driving to get to the Dolomites, if you have to arrange transfers etc it could be more complicated. I'd sort the hotels first tbh.
latest report
Pasigal wrote:
I have posted this a number of times, but the official Val Gardena website is a VERY good place to start. You put in your requirements and hotels/guesthouses will get back to you (then, cross check the results with their actual web sites, and give them a call.)

Also, this is a bit early for 23/24, if that's what you're aiming for. But I know for sure that there are a fair number of hotels (although not dozens) in Selva that would probably meet your needs, although ... not cheaply, it's the most expensive town in Val G. You could also consider Santa Christina and Corvara/Colfosco, wouldn't be sacrificing much IMO.

We did not find it hard to DIY but then again we were flying from Paris to Milan or Venice, then driving to get to the Dolomites, if you have to arrange transfers etc it could be more complicated. I'd sort the hotels first tbh.

Can second this. Used the official site a few weeks ago to book an apartment in Selva for a trip in Jan. Had lots of quick responses including something that was perfect for our needs.

Lots of smaller businesses are family run so you may have to pay a deposit by bank transfer. I was a bit unsure about doing this but did due diligence and I think it's the norm.

Did get responses from lots of the bigger hotels too but their prices were a bit punchy!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy