Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shortening Composite Ski Poles?

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen some Salomon Composite poles that I like but they are 15 cms too long, is it possible to shorten composite ski poles, and if so, should it be done from the basket end or handle end or is 15cms too much to take off anyway?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handle end; it may be too much if the tapered bit won't fit the grip afterwards, and who sold you poles 15cm too long?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No one, I've seen them for sale 2nd hand. So I gather what you are saying is that the handle may not grip due to the reduction of pole width, having taken so much off?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on the pole, some run parallel at the top and then taper in, they would be OK but some taper from just below the grip, these wouldn't as the diameter would be too small for the grip. I suppose you could attempt to pack them out though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, I shortened mine with no probs. I cut the pole with a fine cutting disk on a 'Dremel' tool (wear a mask and goggles, its very dusty and you don't want to breath the crap). The grips were a bit sloppy so I dipped the top 4 inches of pole in good old-fashioned rubber (inner-tube glue) cement and slid the grips on, left everything upside down for a day and 'perfik'.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends on the pole and who made. Composite poles made in the Scott factory have/had pole handels that came off making it easy to trim the pole length. Some of the Salomon poles were made by Komperdel and had the handels bonded to the shaft. I don't recall hearing of a way to remove them, but times may have changed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I read somewhere that gluing the handles on wasn't a good idea, because in a 'drag' situation the handles were meant to come off rather than your arm!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not just buy some poles the right length?? It is not as if poles are that expensive - why fanny about shortening them just to save a couple of quid? I think you lot have been watching too many DIY shows on the box!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the ice perv, Well I don't know where you shop, but new composite poles are expensive compared to their aluminium counterparts, which I already have. You make rather an assumption about other people's financial status and spending priorities - not the most helpful comment!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FenlandSkier, The bloke says the pole is almost the same width all the way down and seems to think the handles will come off, but says he thinks doing it from the basket end looks easiest and it won't disturb the graphics - not that that would concern me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953 wrote:
.....The bloke.....thinks doing it from the basket end looks easiest and it won't disturb the graphics - not that that would concern me.

Yes it looks easier but it's not. The problem is trying to remove the existing basket/tip assembly as it's extremely well bonded on. Then refixing securely is an equal problem as it has to with stand considerable force & temperature differences. I had a conversation re this with Scott a few months ago & shortening from the grip end is definately the way to go.

BTW, pole grips are not designed to slide off in an emergency situation which is why all lifts have signs saying that wrist straps should always be removed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was on k2factoryteam.com and if you go to the products page under poles it tells you how to shorten em. Turn the pole upside down put a spanner round the bottom of the grip give it a good whack, wrap the pole in duct tape where you're going to cut it and use a hacksaw.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sharon1953, I've never claimed to be helpful 100% of the time! Very Happy But what is the price difference between the 2nd hand pair you are looking at and the cost of a new (non-brand name) set? Add in the hassle of going to B&Q to buy your hacksaw or borrow a Dremel multi-tool, then the time spent effing & blinding in the shed..... Have a look round your local ski shops and on the web - you might be surprised.

PS I shouldn't really lecture you lot: I spent some time this w/end stripping down and repairing my boy's remote control car, which only cost £4! Whatever turns you on........ Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953 wrote:
I read somewhere that gluing the handles on wasn't a good idea, because in a 'drag' situation the handles were meant to come off rather than your arm!!

(Four C) 'andles aren't meant to come off in an emergency. Nope.

Shortening is always done at the grip end, not the basket end.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, LOL, Very Happy well I already have a Dremel, various hack saws, vice, tape, multi-tasking brain, curiosity and a good pair of hands! After the DIY jobs I’ve done over the last 30 years, I could probably make a pair of poles from scratch or even a ski!! But I will of course look out for the easy option and see what is around new!!
snow report
Would have thought £30 could get you a set of graphite poles in the correct lenght
snow conditions
veeeight, It was something I came across on another site, having searched the subject on google, about someone being caught in branches, with the wrist trap on, something has to give and it's better it should be the handle coming off, rather than the shoulder socket! But whether that would actually happen in these circumstances I don’t know.
snow report
And (many) carbon poles for crosscountry come in 1 length (175cms) and you shorten them yourself - see http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_64_99&products_id=411

They are also not cheap at 220 euro Toofy Grin
snow report
I got my k2 public enemy poles from Mountainfever.co.uk also try oggie.com ellis-brigham.com snowandrock.com beansonline.com . Or you could get some telescopic ones Little Angel and not need to cut anything. I have some 125cm poles which I don't like and may chop a good 6cm off them, Though I like my poles short at 5'10".
ski holidays
Edmundh009, yup, have all those sites in my favourites, bought from them in the past.
snow report
Leki Trigger?
ski holidays
sharon1953 wrote:
veeeight, .... about someone being caught in branches, with the wrist trap on, something has to give and it's better it should be the handle coming off, rather than the shoulder socket!

However if the branches are holding you up above a large vertical drop it's probably better if nothing comes off and you hang in the tree and wait for help !!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy