Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day TR: Tauplitz, Steiermark 04.04.23

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Day Trip Report, 04.04.23

For us, it was a first trip out to the Tauplitz ski area. Only a 45 minute drive from home, plus a further 20mins for booting up, taking the bubble and getting first turns.

To give the ski area its correct name, Tauplitzalm, the skiing is essentially above the valley towns of Tauplitz and Bad Mittendorf in Steiermark.

The two valley runs were both closed from mid station but all the skiing is really above this point with skiing possible up to 2000m. The toll road (free with lift pass) is an easy 4km drive to reach the mid station uplift. There are also regular buses from the valley towns.

The ski area tends to be from 2 peaks down into natural bowls. The uplift is actually very good with well planned links and not too many T-bars, which can easily be avoided, if needed. Zero queuing. There were a few people around, but not remotely busy.

Important stuff first!
In any given year, the conditions could only be described as immaculate. The snow was astonishingly good, especially considering the much reported lack of it! For early April? Well, it was more like early February. Cool temperatures (-4C when we arrived at 11.00 and only 2C when we left) undoubtedly helped plus a very decent amount of fresh snow over the last week.

I had my GS skis out and, with super grippy snow, they were their element. As was I.

Off piste? Absolutely loads, much untracked and easily accessible via lift. Seriously thinking about heading back before season end with some slightly wider planks. Loads of fresh snow and what looked to be decent depth. It’s due to snow again on Friday, so who knows.

Who would Tauplitz suit?
The beginner and beginner/improver options are excellent with many small, dedicated pistes and lifts tucked out of the way of the main pistes. For improvers to intermediate, again, lots of easy to access options. For intermediates? It’s a paradise. There are more advanced pistes (blacks) but nothing that I’d describe as overly challenging. For off-piste, anyone looking to begin their adventure and hone their skills there are a ridiculous amount of options in a relatively benign environment.

Anything else?
Yup! Some fantastic Langlauf Loipes, prepared walking trails, cross-country touring routes.

I was seriously impressed. One of those rare places that genuinely seems to cater to a wide range of snow sports.

For Austria, I’d categorise the reds as easier than the norm….maybe more like harder French blues or typical Italian reds. They are mostly wide, with good visability. And bloody good fun! Some nice variety. Very well maintained, too.

Surely there can’t be more?
Well, actually yes! In and around the main bowl there are charming alpine hotels and lodges. So for a true ski-in/out experience, it’s all there. For sure, one would have to give up the ski town living for a week, but what an environment. You drive up to the mid station, park and then the accommodation provider comes to pick you and your gear up to take you further into the resort ski area where you stay.

Otherwise, stay in either Tauplitz (900m) or Bad Mitterndorf (810m), the latter of which is a charming Austrian alpine valley town with everything going on in a quite tasteful way. Tauplitz is smaller, quieter and also very charming.

Mountain restaurants.
As the season reaches its end, some were closed. Those that I peered into were typical Austrian Huttes, clean, friendly and sensibly priced. So 4,50€ to 4.80€ for a large beer. A main course 11,00€-14,00€. Mrs Cacciatore and I paid 36,00€ for two huge plates of lunch, large beer and hot chocolate. Very good it was too! And the views…phoar.

I’d definitely recommend Tauplitz for families, beginners, improvers (and anyone seeking to build confidence), intermediates and experienced skiers who appreciate a bit of variety and the Austrian experience but who don’t want a mile-munching mega resort.

To conclude.
I can’t wait to go back. Awesome resort, awesome snow….which was a very welcome surprise so late into what hasn’t quite been a classic season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Cacciatore, What took you so long Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, fair question Laughing

Usually we have the Dachstein West season card (doesn’t include Tauplitz)….which is closer. Juggling business, life stuff, dog walking etc etc usually prevents even slightly further afield ventures. Today was like, well, a mini-holiday snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks

Been on my list since seeing this

http://youtube.com/v/8_JjJIrwaPY&list=WL&index=4&t=122s
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cacciatore, sounds right up my street in the same sort of way that Alleghe is. Nice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mike Pow, wow! Toofy Grin

There’s a lot of lift accessed off-piste to be had that definitely looked on the more challenging side. Both well above the tree-line and below.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Enjoy if you go back
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
@Cacciatore, sounds right up my street in the same sort of way that Alleghe is. Nice.

In someways the piste skiing isn’t dissimilar, Hurtle. N was waxing lyrical about the whole area, quite rightly, too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tauplitz is certainly a hidden gem and is included on the SalzburgSuperSki Card. It’s very accessible by car from Schladming.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy