Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deux-Alpes fatality - fall from cable car

Poster: A snowHead
Rather horrible story - a 29 year old has fallen and died from a cable car. Him a d his friend were apparently drunk, filming each other, and one charged across the car, and threw himself against the plexiglass window Shocked

Write up in English, and link to article in French below:
Quote:
According to the first elements of the investigation, the two young people were heckling while filming themselves with their mobile phones. One of the two, measuring 1.90m and weighing more than 100 kilos, took off across the cabin and threw himself against the wall.
He then literally exploded the reinforced plexiglass, and fell through. He fell 40 meters to his death. not so nice details.
He fell back on the Bellecombe track, impaling himself on a beacon.

According to the director of SATA, which manages the Deux-Alpes ski lifts, the gondola was in perfect condition. “She had passed all the security tests” Fabrice Boutet told us. "Besides," he adds, "the cabin door didn't open in shock, it was the window that gave way. It's terrible. It's the first time that a such an accident happens in the station."
A psychological unit has been set up in the ski area

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/deux-alpes-un-skieur-d-une-vingtaine-d-annees-fait-une-chute-mortelle-depuis-une-telecabine-4810895
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fixx, how awful.

Something a little similar happened off the old Brevent telecabine some years ago. One of the gendarmes went to investigate that the cabin windows were (usually) completely secure and pushed it straight out. That precipitated the planned replacement of the lift.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rather Darwin awardy mind. Lots in ski resorts that can kill you if you're drunk and stupid. Feel sorry for the pisteurs who had to mop that up and the lift ops people who'll be interrogated.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@fixx, how awful.

Something a little similar happened off the old Brevent telecabine some years ago. One of the gendarmes went to investigate that the cabin windows were (usually) completely secure and pushed it straight out. That precipitated the planned replacement of the lift.

I remember they fitted metal "tabs" bolted through the structure, one at each corner of the window, to be able to run it until replacement on that one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's happened before, and every time I hear it I cannot believe the stupidity of some people.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Almost the same thing happened on the N-th floor of the tower block HQ of my old employer Toronto Dominion Bank.
Some idiot was saying "watch me, these windows are.incredible" and he launched himself at the full height window....and shattered it.
He fell a long, long way.

We all got a.memo to say we should not do the same!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
re rungsp's post which I really did not (want to) believe: https://wiki2.org/en/Death_of_Garry_Hoy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
Almost the same thing happened on the N-th floor of the tower block HQ of my old employer Toronto Dominion Bank.
Some idiot was saying "watch me, these windows are.incredible" and he launched himself at the full height window....and shattered it.
He fell a long, long way.

We all got a.memo to say we should not do the same!

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Rather Darwin awardy mind. Lots in ski resorts that can kill you if you're drunk and stupid. Feel sorry for the pisteurs who had to mop that up and the lift ops people who'll be interrogated.

Apparently his mate was taking video of the incident in the cabin at the time. Skullie Should help with the Gendarmerie investigation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Express article:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1754153/Skiing-death-gondola-fall-French-Alps
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I do hope he hadn't reproduced.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Assuming it is those small white ones?
They are dangerous & half of them don't even close properly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
phil_w wrote:

A Darwin Award is posthumously awarded in this case
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:
phil_w wrote:

A Darwin Award is posthumously awarded in this case

A posthumous Darwin Award is surely better than being able to collect the award in person. To win the award you must have permanently removed yourself from the gene pool by means of death or sterilisation via self-inflicted accident. Even if self-sterilisation wasn’t painful, the embarrassment would be too much for most.

Anyway, awful story but thankfully he didn’t injure anyone else. I was quite taken aback at how much alcohol was getting drunk at lunchtime in the 3V a couple of weeks ago. These sad events prove that skiing and alcohol don’t mix well.
snow conditions
Maybe the cabins need to be made idiot proof. RIP.
ski holidays
I don’t understand why anyone would launch themselves at a window unless it was some sort of dare? Puzzled
Terrible thing to witness, what a waste of a life due to a moment of stupidity.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

He took one for team.
Those Telecabines are 40 years old & are not a good state of repair.
I think once investigations are done, it will be found how faulty & not fir for purpose some of them are.
Some good may actually come of it.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
unless it was some sort of dare? Puzzled

No, I still don’t get it even then.
ski holidays
Gored wrote:

It was the Jandri Express I think. Solid well made cabins taking about 20 souls.
latest report
Gored wrote:
I think the best that can be said about this is that the cabins may be checked for safety, however you cannot completely protect people from themselves.
snow report
jmr59 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
unless it was some sort of dare? Puzzled

No, I still don’t get it even then.

Agreed, it was a stupid thing to do regardless.
I thought it might be some sort of ‘dare’ because the other one was videoing it with his phone.
I could understand it happening if a fight had broken out between them within the gondola and it got out of hand but the fact the other one was videoing it makes me think they were doing something stupid.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I could understand it happening if a fight had broken out between them within the gondola and it got out of hand but the fact the other one was videoing it makes me think they were doing something stupid.

The tone of the article in French very much implied that they were messing around rather than fighting, the translation perhaps loses a little. Indeed, it may have been updated now, as I don't recall seeing this bit yesterday
Quote:
... fell to his death 40 meters through the plexiglass of the gondola, against which he had thrown himself to play.
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, such a tragic waste of a life due to pure stupidity, terrible shame!
As I said before to witness something like that on the ground, poor souls, especially the kids.
snow conditions
Impaled on a piste marker, in the Times report.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

As I said before to witness something like that on the ground, poor souls, especially the kids.

I note that they've set up a psychological support unit for the pisteurs and any other skiers impacted.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 4-04-23 10:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Dr John, not entirely sure that will have been the cause of death
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, witnesses are not mentioned in the official reports no, but it was discussed on FB and someone had heard from a resident of LDA that there were unfortunately ‘lots’ of witnesses, including kids Sad

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 4-04-23 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, A fall of>40m is unlikely, but not impossible, to be survivable.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, I edited my comment having seen reports on other news sites which clarified that the support unit wasd available for anyone affected.
ski holidays
@under a new name, it won't have helped
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Maybe the cabins need to be made idiot proof. RIP.

Anytime something is made idiot proof they just make a better idiot.

As said before a terrible price to pay for a few moments of stupidity
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, I suppose …

@Dr John, No I guess not!
ski holidays
I wonder if he had a false sense of security from doing it on polycarbonate before in less risky circumstances.
latest report
Sad and needless loss of life.

Jandri is one of the main uplifts especially for summer ski IIRC - hopefully won't cause an issue with the lift. Don't think the test for whether a lift is safe or not should be based on incidents like this.
latest report
Gored wrote:

Even when (never, when out of the station) the doors are fully open, seated occupants don't fall out of them.
latest report
motyl wrote:
Gored wrote:
I think the best that can be said about this is that the cabins may be checked for safety, however you cannot completely protect people from themselves.

Stupid is incurable, sadly.
snow report
motyl wrote:
Gored wrote:

There is a pretty robust testing protocol for all types of uplift system.

Although, as with the Brevent incident I referred above, robust does not necessarily mean “complete”.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy