Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best base for Scottish snow access?

Poster: A snowHead
With an opportunity to move to and live in Scotland, where would be the best place or area to base oneself for easiest access to all 5 'resorts'? Or would you favour one side, or one top or bottom base more than the other?
Not bothered about work; simply access to snow for as much time as possible (should the weather Gods decide to smile appropriately, of course Laughing ).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you want to do the other 98% of the time I suppose.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Speyside (I would say that since I live there). Newtonmore/ Kingussie driving times to car parks: Cairngorm 30-40 mins, Aonach Mor 50-60 mins, Glencoe 90-100 mins, Lecht 60-70 mins. Glenshee is a pain to get to from here, at approx 1.75-2 hrs.

Closer to Perth suits some folk too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:

Minimise exposure to midges. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are lots of things to do in Scotland in the rain! You just have to have a little imagination...

I also dispute the statistic that it rains 98% of the time in Scotland, more like 97%.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, Being from Glasgow and having also lived in Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and skied rether a lot in Scotland in my younger days, I would not be basing my home base location on Scottish skiing access Shocked Shocked .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Based solely on maximising Scottish skiing opportunities… north of Perth and kinda in the middle.
Based on the other 9months… need more info
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For all 5: Perth, Kingussie or somewhere in between. But as above, there are other considerations regarding somewhere to live!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wanlockhead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You’d be better served living near Hemal or one of the other fridges
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are really only looking at the skiing: personally, as a mostly off-piste skier (and accepting some great off-piste at Cairngorm and my limited experience of Glenshee and the Lecht) I particularly like the the back of Aonach Mor (and the general highly individual appeal of Glencoe) so would say Fort William. I would prefer to be right beside the skiing I particularly like. However Kingussie gives you more options when one coast or the other has better snow.
I wouldn't really recommend North London (where I am) but then Scottish skiing was not my main determinant. And I am really giving a preference based on visits of a few days. For example I know there are lots of other options if you are in the area and prepared to skin.

(With apologies for the cheek of a Londoner intruding an opinion.)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stirling would give you the best access to east or west. Also good access to the airports to get to the Alps. It would probably be about the most efficient place to live in the UK if you are a really active skier/ snowboarder.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This depends on what you like to ski tbh. But Striling and environs makes a lot of sense - good connectivity to Edinburgh and Glasgow. I would choose Dunblane though as it has a very good school and is a quite an attractive place.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting although quite common replies. Thanks everyone.

We had intended to go Kingussie way years ago - but now seems way out of price range. Over the last 5 years it's seemed that West has been best, and I like Balachuilish & Fort William areas a lot, also Trossachs; then again this year it's been Cairngorm again. Pitlochry area has also been considered.

Basically, the useable 3% at least wouldn't be spent just wondering if we could be bothered driving up for 1 day... Laughing

It isn't just for sliding. I have many other outdoor activities in mind too, summer and winter: but the ability to get at least some downhill lift-served days in without several hours' travel, pre-planning (don't mention weather forecasts Evil or Very Mad ) and very early starts is, fundamentally, a lot more 'some' than at present. It could, in fact, end up as totalling quite a lot, if near enough to be able to snatch what's there whenever it is (which would be the plan as I don't work).

Anyhoos, back to Rightmove... rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
We spend a fair amount of time in Carrbridge where we have a house and I find it spot on for biking, running, packrafting, can take my surfski up to the Moray Firth, can obvs ski at Cairngorm, Lecht and AM as required depending on snow and there are so many options in the Cairngorms for adventures. Rest of time i'm in edinburgh which is OK for Glenshee and Glencoe ! There's no real optimal place, but i find the village really nice, great pub which is a massive bonus Very Happy
ski holidays
If general access to outdoor activities is a consideration, but lift served snowsports could swing one location over another... Then a factor to consider is whether you want to hedge your bets and have fairly balanced access across the five areas, or go local to one and have a season pass on the basis you want to get up as often as physically possible!

On the season pass options, things have been rather screwed up by CML's trashing of the various long standing multi area agreements. That means if you have a season pass for another area, no discount on CairnGorm, if you have a CairnGorm season pass, no discount elsewhere. They also reneged on the Ski Scotland All Area Pass, which means if it is sold again (which is in doubt) then it will only be valid at the other four areas. A Glenshee, Lecht, Glencoe or Nevis Range season pass will offer you a 30% discount on the rack rate price at the other 3.

Given Nevis Range has been a bigger s*****show than CairnGorm this season has shown fairly close to zero inclination to go to the trouble of actually opening, you can discount a season pass for there. If you want a decent shot at a decent numbers of days on a season pass, then really CairnGorm or Glencoe look the best bet, but the Glencoe pass at least has a bit of insurance in the 30% discount agreement for the Lecht, Glenshee and Nevis.

As for Wanlockhead, well if Lowther Hill Ski Club doesn't get some new blood involved in the next few months its terminal and it will be wound up and club facilities dismantled, so if you have the time on your hands you could have your own ski slope to play with and there are a few cottages for sale in Wanlockhead and Leadhills. Just saying! Toofy Grin
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Wanlockhead

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I drove through here a few weeks back as I was passing. Took the detour off the M74 to head to Scotland's highest village. The best part about it was the road in and out. What a bizarre little place
ski holidays
@haggishunter, Actually, was looking at Wanlockhead, saw a lovely little (and it was little!) cottage that I really wanted, and liked the area generally. But no garage/workshop (a must have) Eh oh! (Ditto, I recall, once recently up at Leadhills).
So find me a nice place and, wind farms notwithstanding, I will come Eh oh!

Agree with the Coe/Cairngorm toss up issue. Nevis hasn't seemed good, one way or another, for several years (pity). CG has only really seemed back in form this year after several years' break, and of course their wee train is back running (less said there... rolling eyes )

But, basically, yes the idea would be to be able to get to any if I could. Memories of staying at Kingussie every Easter and driving around from CG to Nevis to Lecht to Shee - never found Coe open for some reason - desperately trying to find any which was open, had low enough winds & some visibility (this was in Teletext days, well before modern miracles of Facebook & Winter Highland Laughing ).

@orange, another place /area I used to stay a lot and wanted to buy in. Nice area.
snow report
I’d think of the town rather than the ski access. What else does it have. Aviemore is a short hop to Inverness and the airport. Pitlochry is only 45 mins over the back road to Glenshee. It is about 1hr 10 to Cairngorm.

Down to be Perth then over to Glencoe.

It is a really nice we town and it has a train station for quick access to Perth or further.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, As the tv prog says, location location location - If it were me, I would be looking somewhere central-ish for access to "other things to do" the rest of the year.

My MiL lives in Bridge of Allan, and for access to Glencoe / Glenshee it takes a heck of a lot off the journey compared to me in central Edinburgh.

It also has easy access to the trossachs, highland Perthshire etc and has great road / rail links to Edinburgh and Glasgow while still retaining a village feel.

Can be a bit pricey tho.
ski holidays
We're in the same boat. We currently live in Leith (Edinburgh) but are looking to move next year. Glencoe and CG are a 2.5/3hr drive for us atm and while we have done day hits over the past couple of winters it's knackering and doesn't feel much like a relaxing weekend!

We've looked at places like Kingussie and Aviemore but the housing market there seems nonexistent at the minute. Mrs Meltus is a teacher so will depend a lot on where she gets a job but for us, Stirling and its environs seems best. It's easily commutable for Glasgow, Edinburgh and a lot of Fife and knocks an hour off the journey to Glencoe and slightly less of the Cairngorm drive.

We were looking at Bridge of Allan and Dunblane as they're slightly nicer than Stirling itself and still have good motorway access (the worst part of the current drive is getting out of Edinburgh).

We also wanted some hills on our doorstep for easy access hiking/running (living in Chamonix for 5 years spoiled us...)
latest report
Bridge of Allan looks very nice. Only stayed there once for a party, but seems very civilised.

@Grizzler, realistically, even being able to hop in the car on a good day and go straight up, how many good days would you reasonably expect to get in? (I am totally out of touch, last Scottish days' skiing in 1998 ...
snow conditions
@under a new name, I think, like many things, if you are "on the spot" and either self employed or retired etc you will get a decent number of days in.

For one reason or another I only had a few this season but there have been other years when I had loads.

Location is definitely key.
latest report
@GreenDay, but how far would I have to depart from my “fair weather skiing” principles? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
"wind farms notwithstanding"

No further wind farms are apparently allowed with c.50km of the Eskdalemuir seismology station - just saying...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/wind-farms-banned-mod-listening-post-demands-hush-detect-nuclear-blasts-2481183
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@GreenDay, but how far would I have to depart from my “fair weather skiing” principles? Twisted Evil

I am the same (and getting worse as I get older). Unless its a bluebird and midweek I wont waste the sleep........

see also "cycling" Very Happy
ski holidays
@under a new name, lots! But that's the 'joy' of Scottish skiing, isn't it? Laughing And don't forget the death cookies.

But if one is near enough, and armed with a season ticket, a chancy day and a few runs before saying "pah" isn't so much of an issue as a 4+ hour each way current drive and possibly pre-booked b&b cost only to find it's turned into pants weather. (Bit like paying loads to fly out to Austria for a week and having nothing but low cloud, mist or flat grey light... Eh oh! Only cheaper, and home cooking.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DidierCouch, useful to know Smile
ski holidays
@Grizzler, what’s a rough guide price budget?
snow conditions
@Grizzler, just in case you aren’t aware…. A wee while back, houses in and around Aviemore (& pretty much anywhere inside the National Park) was going for about 40% over the asking price. Not sure how much over it is a present, but it will be well above asking price and you will need to allow that in your search. Also, up here, the banks will not lend more that the Home Sellers Survey Valuation (not sure if that’s the same or not in rUK) So you will need savings to cover anything above the asking price.
Good luck!!
ski holidays
@dode, thanks. Wow, I wasn't aware it was that bad! I know that houses around Fort William were going crazy a year or so back though.
I'd be a cash (-strapped!) retiree buyer, so it's all just the top line plus work required for me.
I think that I'm going to be better staying out of the popular areas and/or going for something which needs a bit of work. Seen a couple of interest, but also still toying on if I really want to 'emigrate'...
snow report
@Grizzler, yeah there was a pretty sharp rise after lockdown with a bit of an exodus from the south when they realised that wfh was a reality.
ski holidays
We sold and bought last October in Speyside, thankfully sold when it was mad and bought right when interest rates rocketed. All the valuations are in my view 20% over reality. We sold for almost 50% more than the offers over price, cash buyer who was local though. Bought for 10% under asking and only genuine offer on it due to market. Hang in there, little stock and you have to be quick but it’s a great area to live in.
ski holidays
@orange, I hate you! Laughing (Or alternatively, well done, lucky you. It's such a stressful lottery ATM.)
latest report
Meltus wrote:
We're in the same boat. We currently live in Leith (Edinburgh) but are looking to move next year. Glencoe and CG are a 2.5/3hr drive for us atm and while we have done day hits over the past couple of winters it's knackering and doesn't feel much like a relaxing weekend!

We've looked at places like Kingussie and Aviemore but the housing market there seems nonexistent at the minute. Mrs Meltus is a teacher so will depend a lot on where she gets a job but for us, Stirling and its environs seems best. It's easily commutable for Glasgow, Edinburgh and a lot of Fife and knocks an hour off the journey to Glencoe and slightly less of the Cairngorm drive.

We were looking at Bridge of Allan and Dunblane as they're slightly nicer than Stirling itself and still have good motorway access (the worst part of the current drive is getting out of Edinburgh).

We also wanted some hills on our doorstep for easy access hiking/running (living in Chamonix for 5 years spoiled us...)

I live 1 hour drive from Glencoe at 50 mph average speed, which is what I do at 6-7 am in dark winter through the early part of the journey which has more bends. (this usually causes tail backs with lots of reckless drivers from Glasgow trying to get there before the lifts open) About 8 miles from the Dunblane to Perth motorway, which takes about 15 minutes to get to on A84.

I used to go to Glenshee and Nevis range sometimes, but Glencoe has been the main resort for me in Scotland. Cairngorm and the Lecht are now to far without a van, but I have done them in a day before. (Cairngorm anyway, the Lecht I only went to in a camper van)

I also live right on the edge of the mountain region of Scotland, so deliveries are not too difficult (parcels and large items either are not delivered to some areas of Scotland, or they charge extra and cause more hassle). Tend to be a bit awkward when you go about 15 miles further north.

Dunblane can be more expensive due to the train station and good access to Glasgow and Edinburgh. (however, there are very cheap parts of Dunblane too)

I never got a season ticket mainly because I really only ski when the weather is good and the snow is good. That means I only manage about 2-3 days on average a year, and you really need 10 days to make it worthwhile. Some people who were camping in Glencoe car park said they come from the lake district and have a season ticket, which they find worth having!

I did ski more in Scotland when I had a camper van, but I skied more in Europe too.

I climb Ben Ledi regularly, probably more in winter time now when the sun shines and the wind is low and there is snow. I also have done quite a few of the other local Bens too. Done some munros, but I am not a bagger of munros.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy