Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leki Trigger S

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Leki poles with the Trigger S grip. I now have to use a crazy amount of force to get the glove to click into to the grip. Does anyone know how to fix this? Maybe lubricate somewhere.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know about the Trigger S, cos I've got the older version with the yellow bit that clicks into the top of the pole. However, a liberal dose of silicone lubricant in the moving parts before the most recent trip did wonders for the ease of unclipping
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just take them off, put them in a bag and forget the straps.
Try living without straps on your poles, you'll learn to love the freedom.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn, you do have a point. There have been numerous occasions when I've taken a different pair of gloves and forgotten to swap the Leki straps over. It's no bother skiing without them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DrLawn wrote:
Just take them off, put them in a bag and forget the straps.
Try living without straps on your poles, you'll learn to love the freedom.

The only time I ever use my pole straps is when touring or otherwise pushing/skating, especially on the flat where you run the risk of leaving the poles behind in hard but sticky snow. Oh, when skiing gates, although I haven't done any for a year or three now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ive had Leki poles and gloves for a few years. Rarely clip into the poles now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The amount of time you phaaf puting your hands through loops each time you get on and off a lift is perhaps 15sec. each time.
When you work out the number of times you do that during a 6 day holiday....
You could have had another half hour skiing Very Happy
I thought the Leki's would be the answer. Nah! takes even longer to hook up the gloves ... but at least you dont have to hook thm on Laughing

Unfortunately I put my Super lightweight D profile carbon Leki Christmas presents in the boot of the car, then put my bag on them.
CRACK!!!
I've only got one left and a spare handle now. Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimachine, I be tempted to give them WD40 and then activate the trigger for a while.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One thing that could be is that "wire" for hook might be a bit thick and needs some force to get through pretty tiny space on grip. This gets better with use. Otherwise I don't really see what could be lubricated, as there's nothing moving much on that Trigger S system.
For everyone suggesting dumping straps... Straps have plenty of usage, and except for few occasions (skiing in avi terrain) they bring so much for skiing, that it's really worth learning how to put them on properly and in like 1sec, and you have them on before you even ski off the chairlift top station, regardless if it's normal strap or Leki's trigger system. I honestly need way less then 15sec to get both xc skiing poles on, with their straps being way more complicated then alpine loops.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn wrote:
The amount of time you phaaf puting your hands through loops each time you get on and off a lift is perhaps 15sec. each time.
When you work out the number of times you do that during a 6 day holiday....
You could have had another half hour skiing Very Happy
I thought the Leki's would be the answer. Nah! takes even longer to hook up the gloves ... but at least you dont have to hook thm on Laughing

Unfortunately I put my Super lightweight D profile carbon Leki Christmas presents in the boot of the car, then put my bag on them.
CRACK!!!
I've only got one left and a spare handle now. Confused

I don't use the straps on my poles except when told to by a guide for good reason. Piste skiing never. I have had the same pair of rubbish poles for 25 years so it is clearly possible to not lose your poles while not using the straps.

BUT - what do you mean 15 secs to put pole straps on at the top of every lift? My daughter uses the Leki system and quite likes it (she is a racer), but does not stop at all to "faff" at the top of the lift. Surely those who do want to use the straps would be able to do that while skiing away from the lift? I just don't get why so many people stop at the top of each lift or what o earth it is that they are doing! I can understand boarders who need to strap in, but what on earth are skiers up to?!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My OCD and indoctrination runs deep. Not only do I always use the straps (except if told not to, as a result of avalanche danger), but they have to be used correctly:

- Hand always comes up through the loop from below, to give better support

- Poles are usually designed to have a Left and Right - so should be used like this

- It doesn't take anything like 15 secs to get the straps on - in fact, I usually put them on while still moving away from the lift; or while others are "boot faffing".

And yes I know.....I'm Nuts!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old Fartbag wrote:

- Poles are usually designed to have a Left and Right - so should be used like this

What? Really? In 20+ years, I’ve never heard that before! Not that I think I know everything ski-related….but that is something I’d consider as basic….if true. Confused

It’s not April 1st for a few days yet… Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
primoz wrote:
I don't really see what could be lubricated, as there's nothing moving much on that Trigger S system.

The whole "Trigger" where it pivots and brushes against the sides of the handle. I have mine freeze up on me occasionally, which require a quick inversion of the pole and a good smack on something solid, but other than that the system is brilliant.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

What? Really? In 20+ years, I’ve never heard that before! Not that I think I know everything ski-related….but that is something I’d consider as basic….if true. Confused

I learned this years ago from Martin Heckleman's "Hamlyan Guide to Skiing"...and I quote, "There is a Left and Right ski pole. The straps overlap to the left or to the right, so as to be smooth in your hand when you hold the grip".

My Leki Poles actually have L and R marked on them.

The overlap that I'm talking about can be seen in this video @35 sec ie. The top strap overlaps to the left, so is designed to be most comfortable on the Left hand.
https://adventurebuddiesblog.com/2010/08/leki-poles-how-to-adjust-use-straps/#:~:text=Note%3A%20LEKI%20poles%20have%20right,R%20strap%20and%20visa%20versa.

Nb. I take my Geekery very seriously. Skullie

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 29-03-23 12:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc wrote:
primoz wrote:
I don't really see what could be lubricated, as there's nothing moving much on that Trigger S system.

The whole "Trigger" where it pivots and brushes against the sides of the handle. I have mine freeze up on me occasionally, which require a quick inversion of the pole and a good smack on something solid, but other than that the system is brilliant.

Yes, mine do this too very occasionally especially if I've been in deeper snow.

As for putting straps on or trigger S... I do it on the move as I'm heading off without needing to stop unless I'm with boarders which is more often than not nowadays.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

I learned this years ago from Martin Heckleman's "Hamlyan Guide to Skiing...and I quote, "There is a Left and Right ski pole. The straps overlap to the left or to the right, so as to be smooth in your hand when you hold the grip".

My Leki Poles actually have L and R marked on them.

The overlap that I'm talking about can be seen in this video @35 sec ie. The top strap overlaps to the left, so is designed to be most comfortable on the Left hand.
https://adventurebuddiesblog.com/2010/08/leki-poles-how-to-adjust-use-straps/#:~:text=Note%3A%20LEKI%20poles%20have%20right,R%20strap%20and%20visa%20versa.

Nb. I take my Geekery very seriously. Skullie

Well, there you go! Everyday is a school day!

I’ve also got Leki poles with the S Trigger and occasionally one “sticks”. Usually give the handle a tap against something solid which seems to resolve the problem.
latest report
Having used hire skis for the last couple of trips and not my own and having had straps with them instead of my normal Leki S Triggers, I found straps a really retrograde step. Like @hammerite, I clip them on leaving a chair so easily and found messing with straps again an irritant, maybe I need to check for L + R but on cheap hire poles who knows Very Happy
ski holidays
skimachine wrote:
I have a pair of Leki poles with the Trigger S grip. I now have to use a crazy amount of force to get the glove to click into to the grip. Does anyone know how to fix this? Maybe lubricate somewhere.

This is not caused by snow or ice. I have had my poles inside for weeks. I don't see anything stuck in there either. I was thinking about spraying it with sme Sailkote by McLube rather than WD-40, but don't know if that would work or if there is some other reason why they are so stiff now,
snow report
@zikomo, Your daughter is a racer, then she wont need 15secs to put them on. She has been trained.
You should meet my cousin ... it takes forever getting his pole straps over his mits and off again.
Maybe he should get some race training rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy