Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another beacon thread - Tracker 4, Recon LT or Barryvox

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to take advantage of the sales and buy my first beacon. There are various sets which seems a relatively cost effective way to go. Narrowed down to BCA Tracker 4, BD Recon LT and Mammut Barryvox. Leaving aside probes (240 or 270 depending on kit) and shovels (all are metal), I gather that they all properly do what they are designed to do, but is there something in particular which pips one ahead of the others?. I am building up experience so don't need a bells and whistles beacon, but equally, would like to get something which will last me some years so consider it a worthwhile investment. My only prior beacon experience is an old model, rather basic ABS.

I know that there have been some recalls for BCA and BD, but trust that the brands will get it right so that is not a decision factor for me.

Thank you all!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always owned Barryvox's, I had the Pulse for about 10 years, and now have the S. The Barryox S, removed the couple of minor issues that the Pulse had (interference and speed of movement). While the Barryvox's have loads of features, you don't need to use them, but I have found the Intelligent search mode incredibly accurate.

I've tried BCA 2 & 3's, Ortovox S1, Peips Pro, Arva etc, and none of them have had the range or ease of use of the Barryvox's in the tests I've performed.

As others on here will confirm, if you are taking part in a 'blind' beacon search test, you may be accused of cheating with a Barryvox, because you can usually switch to search mode and walk straight to the buried transceiver without pause or deviation Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, can confirm Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Barryvox, not the s unless you are a geek and will use it a lot. I would put a Pulse up against the best of the rest.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve got a Barryvox, the basic one, it came in the kit which seems good value. Good range, easy to use, fast and above all simple.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all, much appreciated. It looks like a Barryvox is the way to go!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy