Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowy transfer day

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Managed to pick up some chains via FB Marketplace to go with the Autosocks, though not to used together I'm sure

No - plenty of scope for causing complete havoc just with the chains, without adding autosocks into the midst. After all these preparations the roads are sure to be clear!!

100% will be clear now that I've covered all options..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K-summits don’t go behind the wheel so you’ll be fine, a lot of those warnings in hand books are for traditional style chains. Remember and remove the correct number of links for your tyre size and fit the bolt head adapters etc before leaving, you don’t want to be faffing at the road side if you get caught out Very Happy

For anyone considering buying chains now is the time to do it, I’ve picked up 3 sets of k-summit (K22, K34 and K66 XXL) all for £100 or just over, brand new.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@damanpunk, which shop please?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EBay from private sellers, just setup a search alert Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure why, but I've thought that petrol prices (E10) were lower in France, but having a quick look around, it seems that perhaps my thoughts are based on driving around 10 years ago, not now.

Looks like I'll be topping up in the UK before we get to the tunnel.

Slight thread drift, but slightly related also...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to re-state the inventory:

Head torch
Carpet square to kneel on
Gloves (but not too thick)
Outdoor shoes (as opposed to driving shoes)
Collapsible shovel
Chains
- Adjusted to fit as necessary beforehand, at leisure, back home
- Separated into L and R sets (to avoid chain spaghetti)
- Ideally laid out in bag in best orientation for fitting
- Any other bits (e.g. for Spike Spiders, the bolt extenders and spanner)

Obviously, the various items need to be easily accessible and not under a tonne of baggage. Many chain sets will need to be adjusted beforehand to fit your specific wheel/tyre setup - for mine this took about 20 minutes in a warm well-lit garage with a spare wheel flat on the ground - as mentioned, not something to be undertaken when you're fitting in earnest.

Doing all this will 99.999% ensure you never need to use your chains and guarantee superb weather. Not doing them flips the probabilities in the other direction.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've always used chains and managed them fine on the few occasions they were needed. Found that even thin gloves were hopeless and would get caught up. Did it fast before fingers froze. But don't have chains to fit my present car and have just bought some snow socks and tried them this morning, having never used them before. Hmm. Was quite a fiddle - I don't have strong hands. Not sure it was any easier than chains. Perhaps just unfamiliarity. No need to go right round behind the wheel, but quite a lot of groping under the wheel arch - which of course was completely clear, outside my front door. Must find a little scraper spade to add to my kit, for clearing snow out of the wheel arch.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, I tried a dry run with chains that I picked up. Never had to use them in a real situation, but trying them on the drive in a slightly drizzly Dorset seemed easy enough. Not planning any of my driving in France to be overnight, so hopefully all will be well. I will grab a small spade/shovel though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LaForet, why do you need all the "other bits" for spike spiders? The whole idea is you do all the faff before leaving home, then all you need to do is remove the cover plate and snap on the chains when needed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My garage mechanic said that leaving the extended wheel nuts on protruding out of the wheels was probably illegal in the UK and certainly unwise because of the possibility of injury in a pedestrian accident. He also thought it a possibly bad idea in terms of unbalancing the wheel, because with five bolts, you can't place the two extenders opposite each other. Since they only take a few seconds to actually fit anyway, I keep them in the bag, with the wrench.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most of the spikes spiders range use an adapter plate rather than the 2 extender bolts that are used for the easy sport and easy alpine so don't have the problems mentioned.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So after everything, were chains/socks required, or were the roads clear of snow?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We arrived in rain at resort level but if we'd been an hour later it would have been snow. There was some drivers getting stuck near resort.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So how was everyone's transfer day?. Most of our gang made it fine but son in rented car from Swiss side of Geneva ignored my advice to make sure he had chains and not to blindly follow Google. Took them hours to get here to Bisanne 1500 from Annecy hours, having to turn back not many Kms away on steep and messy road after a lot of family tension! My daughter in law swore he'd shifted rocks and a small tree out of the road before turning back with a 10 point turn and gritted teeth. I suspect it was a forestry road, not a proper Departmental road. There are roads between here and Ugine which I hesitate to use in midsummer. Lots of snow on the road this morning, even after ploughing and some cars with chains but it was wet snow and remains had melted off roads by midday. The skiers reported great conditions but by no means everything open.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
So after everything, were chains/socks required, or were the roads clear of snow?

All clear up to Val Cenis, though at 1400 ish, hardly surprised. Snowed a bit after we got here yesterday, but not bad enough to me chains etc.

Fabulous snow up top though. Usual April lower down. Pretty good until 11ish, then the slush, but hey, I'm in the mountains, so who cares!
latest report
The only time anyone coming here yesterday, on sensible roads, would have had difficulty would have been after 9 or 10 pm. It was snowing hard and the local roads aren't ploughed after late evening.
snow report
Completey clear when we rolled into 1800 at 1845 during the snow yesterday. It wasn't sticking to the road at all
snow report
There was the usual collection of bumps above Ste Foy yesterday morning for those heading to Tig/VDI. The roads were treacherous to those without the kit (there were a lot of those) until lunchtime-ish. We had a minibus perched on top of the foot high concrete barriers, so I guess that will be a right off. A Brit car came down the road outside chez chocks about 30 degs off 'runway heading' scratching parked cars on the way down.
ski holidays
We made it to LDA without chains yesterday, although we just about got away with the last 200m or so
latest report
“got away with it”
Laughing
latest report
@chocksaway, Shocked always a few idiot about!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy