Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowy transfer day

Poster: A snowHead
And the snow socks you fit as soon as you feel any loss of traction are better than the chains that stay in the boot until you've slithered to a stop in the middle of the road. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks both, I'll look at grabbing snow socks then.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@terrygasson, make sure you lube the zip around the bag after you finish with them for the season, as with the salt you'll invariably pick up along with the wet environment they tend to seize up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carettam wrote:
I'm excited for fresh snow but hadn't planned for it. I need some snowhead advice!

My dealership and car handbook specifically says we cannot fit snow chains to our toyota corolla hybrid estate, due to minimal clearance in wheel arch/ behind wheel. We have Michelin crossclimates that perform very well in the snow but not got chains.

We'll be driving to Ste Foy on afternoon/evening of 31st March. I've had a look online and it seems to suggest we could get some thule k summit k23 chains that 'might' work for our car. I'm not sure if they'll be ok, or whether I can buy some in time, and they're very pricey. I'm guessing snow socks will not be any better than our tyres? Should I just pay £300 for the chains against deadlership advice and hope they don't damage my car, assuming some are in stock and can be express shipped? I doubt norauto will have suitable chains for my car en route?

Decent quality socks are reasonable contingency, even with cross climate type tyre.

They would be unlikely to outperform a full on winter tyre (the socks that is) and probably redundant with that specific type, but in this case I'd say reasonable assistance in addition to the tyres you have.

By decent quality, that's manufactured by someone like Michelin.

If there's specific advice not to fit chains, then I'd be very very careful in trying and evaluating that route.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are advised not to fit chains then yes, you'd be daft to try. Cross climate tyres should be good (it's what I have, so hoping so......) and I suspect that socks WOULD outperform a full on winter tyre because so much more friction. As long as it was for a short distance - and because socks are so much easier to put on and off, taking them off if you have to drive stretches of tarmac is more likely to happen. I've driven some miles with chains on dry roads, knowing it was going to be snowy round the next bend, or up the next hill, and it's always a bit worrying. Sometimes deciding when to take your chains off is as tricky as deciding when to put them on.

If conditions are bad and your socks don't work and you can't fit chains, then the answer is obvious - you just have to wait!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve got chains and now ordered socks aswell. Can’t be to careful Very Happy guaranteed it won’t snow now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam,
Quote:

@terrygasson, make sure you lube the zip around the bag after you finish with them for the season, as with the salt you'll invariably pick up along with the wet environment they tend to seize up.

cheers, will do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Socks are not going to out-perform a premium winter tyre with a decent amount of tread, but they may be something of an improvement re snow traction if your winter / cross-climate tyre tread has fallen below the 4mm level. They might add a little improvement if you’re on cross-climates, but it’ll depend a lot on the bias of the tyre (i.e. warm vs cold/snow-biased brand).

It would be very strange if a front-fitting-type chain like those from Spike Spider or Thule didn’t fit a mainstream model like the Toyota. We’re talking an extra 12mm or so on the tyre’s rolling radius (i.e. on top of the tread) and even at maximum compression of the suspension, you’d expect there still to be space inside the wheel arch - it’s not a Lamborghini. Sometimes Owners Manuals aren’t always translated perfectly, so it’s worth re-reading any section saying chains can’t be fitted, to be absolutely sure they exclude front-fittings types.

Cross-climate and winter tyres vary a lot in terms of bias towards warmer vs colder conditions and extremes of snow. Together with snow socks and chains they’re all on a spectrum of solutions that address worsening conditions in terms of temperature and snowy-ness, and overlap a lot in terms of what’s best when. So this makes advising what’s best for a particular configuration of car, wheel and tyre difficult sometimes.

At some point, all types of tyre and socks will stop working on snow/ice and you’ll need to switch to chains. Chains are the thing that takes you that bit further as conditions worsen to the point where the car simply can’t cope any more.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carettam wrote:
I'm excited for fresh snow but hadn't planned for it. I need some snowhead advice!

My dealership and car handbook specifically says we cannot fit snow chains to our toyota corolla hybrid estate, due to minimal clearance in wheel arch/ behind wheel. We have Michelin crossclimates that perform very well in the snow but not got chains.

Try explaining that to the gendarmes if they are insisting on chains.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
And the snow socks you fit as soon as you feel any loss of traction are better than the chains that stay in the boot until you've slithered to a stop in the middle of the road. Evil or Very Mad

Yes, this is a really key point for me. I've been lucky enough to have never needed snow chains before - there's been plenty of times when it's been snowing, sometimes heavily, but winter tyres have always seen us through. Judging when to put them on is something that I've never had to consider before - I don't want to be the idiot that has...
Quote:
slithered to a stop in the middle of the road

....and is causing a massive hold up while I try to get the chains on. But I also don't want to put them on too early when winter tyres will suffice.

I guess the key, as stated, is judging when you start to feel the loss of traction.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
terrygasson wrote:
its great to see all the snow falling in the alps, and especially VT for me next week.

luckily i found a brand new (unused) set of Thule easyfit chains for my car on eBay the other month, at over half the RRP, should be circa £350 for my size wheels, but was being sold for £150.
The bag they come in is designed as a kneel mat as well, so one less item to worry about.

https://snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/Thule+CU9+Easy-fit/

the seller had purchased a new car after buying the chains before having to use them!!

have tried them a couple of times, and they literally take longer to take out of the bag than put on and off again, about 30 seconds to fit, and no wrapped knuckles!!

must admit i will be quite happy to give them a go if required Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Only advice re those easyfit chains is to make sure that they fit well. I had one fall off (despite it being really well put on. Managed to get a replacement during the Summer from someone else who had happened to also lose a chain on the way down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

But I also don't want to put them on too early when winter tyres will suffice.

I've probably done that sometimes, pulled in to the "aire de chainage" where the job can be done safely and quickly. It's like reefing the sails in a boat - better too early than too late!

I'm sceptical of the claim that socks won't outperform winter tyres - they are allowed by the police, as I understand it, when they are insisting that "special equipment" is needed even by cars with winter tyres (as had happened to me a couple of times, though I had chains other cars in the compulsory stopping area were fitting socks).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The OP is travelling April 1st - it's only legal to carry the "special equipment" Nov to the end of March, unless I've misread the signs which is quite possible Laughing

As someone has mentioned the roads are now so warm the snow melts as soon as it falls, or even if it does lay as it did here overnight by 09:30 it's gone.

That said we're only at 1,400m the Lautaret at 2,057 they clear through the night / early hours and this time of year it's very rare for the road to be snow-bound.

And the worst of the weather for Tignes is later in the day on the 1st - so hopefully will be no issues, and then the forecast will probably change
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the back of this thread, I've ordered some socks. We're travelling to Les Arcs on the 1st, so the mandatory winter requirement will be over, and the weather looks to be more likely rain than snow going up to 1800 in the afternoon. But it'll prevent a row with Mr. O if it transpires we do need them, and I can just whip them out and we can be on our way.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

it's only legal to carry the "special equipment" Nov to the end of March

But you still might not be allowed up the hill without them if you happen to hit one of those times when new snow is causing problems - and those times DEFINITELY can crop up in April. And don't we all hope they will!!
latest report
Owlette wrote:
On the back of this thread, I've ordered some socks. We're travelling to Les Arcs on the 1st, so the mandatory winter requirement will be over, and the weather looks to be more likely rain than snow going up to 1800 in the afternoon. But it'll prevent a row with Mr. O if it transpires we do need them, and I can just whip them out and we can be on our way.

I think that's definitely wise, Bergfex seems to indicate a snow line of around 1300m on the 1st (others vary tbf), so it's possible you might hit snow earlier than you think.
snow conditions
We are arriving in resort on Sun 2nd (up to 1850m - La Ros) and snow is forecast all day Sat and less on the Sun, but the FL is pretty low - down to 1200ish.
I too ordered some snow socks and having not got winter or all-season tyres on (lease car and assuming Apr 2nd should be ok (or at least any snowfall would quickly melt on the warmer tarmac)), I am now deliberating getting some on in time for next weekend. I think for peace of mind if nothing else.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:

I guess the key, as stated, is judging when you start to feel the loss of traction.

That's already too late if you are on an incline and have nowhere to pull over safely Toofy Grin
As @Weathercam says the chances are the roads are now warm so unlikely the snow will lie. It's been snowing all day here and non is lying at all on the roads.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

That's already too late if you are on an incline and have nowhere to pull over safely Toofy Grin
As @Weathercam says the chances are the roads are now warm so unlikely the snow will lie. It's been snowing all day here and non is lying at all on the roads.

I really hope so!

I suspect that if snow chains are needed, then the traffic will be seriously backed and it'll be immediately obvious that we'll need to put them on.
snow conditions
Lots of hoping for the best on this thread
Whatever happened to
Prepare for the worst?
snow report
Quote:

Whatever happened to
Prepare for the worst?

snow report Mon 27 Mar, 23

lots of that too - not everybody has swallowed @Weathercam's guarantee that no chains or snow socks will be required.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Whatever happened to
Prepare for the worst?

lots of that too - not everybody has swallowed @Weathercam's guarantee that no chains or snow socks will be required.

Good to know
I’d hate to be in a queue behind those optimists!
Again rolling eyes
latest report
Had my annual refresher course in putting chains on yesterday. Amazing how I look at them every single year like I have never seen them before!
snow report
On Sunday afternoon the transit time between Tignes and Bourg, which is normally 35 minutes, was over two hours thanks to those optimists. It is likely to be worse this Saturday on current forecasts.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Whatever happened to
Prepare for the worst?

Guarantee???

You just stick to worrying about things, no doubt we'll have to endure post upon post of your upcoming journey soon and for the foreseeable future Laughing
ski holidays
I'm not worried.
latest report
As has been mentioned, it's a good idea to clear the wheel arches of snow before fitting chains.

Even after doing that, reaching to the back of the wheels to do the chains up can leave the sleeves of a nice ski jacket, fleece or whatever filthy up the elbows from slush and muck from the wheel arches and tyres.

A plastic carrier bag on each arm, secured with an elastic band at wrist and elbow, works a treat (like a gauntlet) to keep clothes clean.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, The phrase "Eeee Mr Herriot" springs to mind wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:
The phrase "Eeee Mr Herriot" springs to mind
Isn't it you that's the Yorkshire lad @chocksaway? snowHead
There's nothing tidy about sticking your arm deep into a cow's backside, getting up to your elbows in warm and gooey bovine innards.

But for new vet students, there's no avoiding the procedure: To diagnose pregnancy or check for infection, you've got to reach into a cow's rectum and feel for the uterus, ovaries and stomach. Unfortunately, proper palpation is a tough skill to teach, because once your arm is buried inside a cow butt, no one can see what you're doing.

That's why veterinarian and computer scientist Sarah Baillie has created the "Haptic Cow," a virtual, touch-feedback device that mimics the feeling of real bovine anatomy, placed inside a fiberglass model of a cow's rear end.

snow report
Laughing
latest report
Certainly a different angle taken in training to put on chains, in the dark, on a mountainside somewhere in Europe. Very Happy
snow report
Am excited now. Will have another go at fitting chains on Friday morning before we head off. Those K-Summit's are tight to put on wheels as these guys found out

http://youtube.com/v/2Y3oFc1TAzc
latest report
Managed to pick up some chains via FB Marketplace to go with the Autosocks, though not to used together I'm sure Toofy Grin Only £25 and few minutes up the road, so made no sense not too...
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Guilty
ski holidays
Quote:

Managed to pick up some chains via FB Marketplace to go with the Autosocks, though not to used together I'm sure

No - plenty of scope for causing complete havoc just with the chains, without adding autosocks into the midst. After all these preparations the roads are sure to be clear!!
snow conditions
I use a waterproof picnic rug for my knees and an old tatty jacket and gloves stored with the chains in the boot. You can use phone light but I have an old head torch, learnt the hard way one year when doing it in the dark. Last Easter we didn't need snow chains until the outskirts of Val Thorens but they were particularly necessary for the multi-storey car park as the ramps were ice, so grateful I had them!
latest report
One of the floor mats from the rear seats to kneel on. NEBO torch with mag base fixed to the wing works for me.. Though many cars not built from steel these days.
snow report
Headtorches now stowed in the glove box. Excellent shout on that.

My socks arrived today. And were on their way back within the hour. I'd inadvertently bought a size too small. Next size up will be here tomorrow thanks to the wonder of Amazon Prime. According to the packaging of the ones I've sent back, I've definitely bought the right size this time.
snow conditions
Good thread to make a sticky for the trolls who always say "ahhhh rent a car you'll be ok" LOL
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy