Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying at the Usteria Posta in Badia

Poster: A snowHead
Some snowHeads will be aware of the excellent videos that Igor Tavella posts on You Tube of him skiing around the Italian Dolomites, usually accompanied by one or both of his young sons Rafael and Gabriel (who are now pretty impressive skiers for people of such a young age). Some sHs have visited his hotel the Usteria Posta in Badia village for lunch, but after having an excellent week staying at fellow sHs Cacciatore and Schuss in Boots place in Bad Ischl in Austria I've driven from there into Italy for a 4 night stay at the Usteria Posta. Badia is the village where the chairlift up to La Crusc/ Santa Croce/Heiligkreuz starts from.

Dinner tonight was very pleasant, I've attached a photo of the dinner menu below:

I brought an assortment of sHs buffs I've accumulated over various bashes as presents for Rafael and Gabriel, with any luck we may see them being worn in some of Igor's future videos! snowHead Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How lovely. I'm guessing the snow isn't great over there just now, though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, I looked at the snow at the bottom of the chairlift going up to Santa Croce at about 4pm and took a photo. Obviously the snow is soft as you can see, however I expect the snow will be better first thing in the morning and higher up. Also a bit of new snow is forecast for Monday Very Happy

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Enjoy, we are huge fans, and were to stay there last year but I can't remember what happened but we couldn't go. I do intend to go in the future though so a report on your trip is appreciated.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember one April being amazed at how well the Badian pisteurs kept the snow all the way from top to bottom of that piste in very warm weather, similar just along the road in La Villa. a best snow protection I’ve seen anywhere
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pasta and then the Veal for me

Vegans can fuck right off Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great stuff Alastair. Had a lovely and fun evening there back in January. Had my picture taken with Igor and he seems every bit as nice as in his videos.
The Santa Croce run is just perfect for tele skiing. Long live the free heel Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
biddpyat wrote:
Enjoy, we are huge fans, and were to stay there last year but I can't remember what happened but we couldn't go. I do intend to go in the future though so a report on your trip is appreciated.

Well to update on the breakfast arrangements they are the usual continental arrangements i.e fruit juice, cereals, individual jogurts, fruit salad bowl, bread rolls, croissants, various cold meats and cheeses and jams or honey. Boiled eggs available but no other hot food e.g bacon or scrambled eggs but I can get by without that. Madeye-Smiley

Also, as is common at quite a few hotels at breakfast they ask you to select your options for the evening meal:

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks like there's a daily (?) information leaflet put on your breakfast table....

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 26-03-23 7:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair, would be interesting to hear from them how busy they think the season has been this year? It’s looked busy on the webcams. Lots of Germans coming south perhaps in search of better weather ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fab. Such great videos
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Enjoy your stay, Alastair. snowHead
snow report
@Alastair Pink, really enjoy his vids. Have a great stay. We are heading out to Selva next weekend.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, looks a lovely place to be. Have fun.
snow report
I started skiing at Santa Croce this morning about 09:30. Not surprisingly with the overnight temperature below 0 deg C the piste was quite hard first thing but had softened up nicely by 11am. After a couple of runs down from Santa Croce I went across to La Villa and up the gondola to ski the black 17 piste (Gran Risa). I took a short video to show the slope conditions, although there's no snow away from the pistes the pistes themselves are in quite good condition.
http://youtube.com/v/rTK_9GbC3Gw

After skiing to the bottom of black 17 I got back in the gondola to go up again and met another local Telemarker called Werner, we got chatting and he skied with me for the next couple of hours as we headed back to Santa Croce. As @Peter S suggested the Spring snow conditions were perfect for Telemarking. We had a blast! Madeye-Smiley. We had a late lunch (I had a very tasty Tagliatelle with venison ragout) then I had one last run from the top of Santa Croce about 2:15 then called in to the cafe by the bottom of the Santa Croce chairlift for an aprés ski bombardino. It's a tough life but someone has to do it.... Toofy Grin
latest report
@Alastair Pink, fabulous. Feeling a tad envious.
Edit: in fact I'm envious of your whole trip, Austria included. I wish I felt competent enough to do such drives on my own. Eyesight problems haven't done a lot for my confidence...
snow report
Excellent. Have a great time Alistair. Igor seems such a nice guy and it's been a real joy watching the two boys blossom into such accomplished skiers over the past few years. Igor is a wonderful ambassador for skiing in the Dolomites.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 26-03-23 18:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Smart of you to get to Gran Risa early. I was there about 2 PM two days ago and it was a mess. Glad I used to be a bumper.
snow report
@Awdbugga, absolutely!
snow conditions
The evening meal tonight started with a plate of Bresaola della Valtellina (an Italian charcuterie made from cured salted beef that I'd never had before), quite tasty.

It's nice that the menu includes some Italian and local Ladin specialties. Very Happy
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Alastair, would be interesting to hear from them how busy they think the season has been this year? It’s looked busy on the webcams. Lots of Germans coming south perhaps in search of better weather ?

@Peter S, I asked Igor just now and he confirmed that they were very busy this season as you surmised, because they had better snow conditions than a lot of other places. Igor was naturally very pleased about that. Smile
snow report
This morning I drove from Badia village to Piculin to use the gondola to get to the Kronplatz ski area. However when I got to Piculin the car park was surprisingly empty and I then noticed that the gondola wasn't running. It turns out yesterday was the last day the Piculin gondola was running. Sad So I drove further on to Kronplatz itself, fortunately everything was running there. It's actually the first time I've skied at Kronplatz, it's been on my list of Dolomite Superski areas to do for some time. Anyway there's a bit of new snow up top and quite windy, here's a photo of the top.

snow report
Interestingly I recently changed my APRR (now Fulli) French toll tag for their multi country one that covers France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. When I drove up to the car parking barrier at Kronplatz the barrier automatically lifted before I had a chance to get out of my right hand drive UK car to get a ticket from the machine on the left side. It turns out the Italian Telepass system which my tag can use in Italy also covers some car parks! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
lay off the soft cheese - it could then be the Listeria Posta Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, I’d love to stay there it looks lovely, and Igor and family also, I watch his clips regularly, the boys are wonderful skiers. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We dropped by for lunch on the going-home day of the BB. Very good lunch indeed, so will certainly be going back. We also came back with extra buffs.

I've been trying to get to the Dolomites for a summer MTB trip for a long time. Next year it will happen, and Ustaria Posta is my first choice of place to stay. The MTB trails in the Badia sector are all named after body parts for some reason (There are youtube vids of those trails as well as ski and road bike ones). Heck I'd be more than happy to go there in summer just for hiking/walking, and maybe a bit of via ferrata.
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, great report, have fun. Sounds a nice spot. It always amuses me that on Trip Advisor you find people complaining about Italian hotels asking for meal selections in the morning as I've found that more common than not over the years.
snow conditions
we had a nice meal there back in January when staying at a B&B up the road for 1 night
@Alastair Pink, hope you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay pn ?
ski holidays
@richb67, for a single room (actually a double but single occupancy) with shower/WC and small balcony half board was €108 per night plus €1.90 tourist tax per person per night.

Although I should point out that I'm only staying 4 nights and Igor said it's cheaper for a week's stay. He said that in low season a double room (Austrian twin beds) for a week is £75 per person per night half board, obviously a bit more in high season, so if you're interested make enquiries directly at https://www.ustariaposta.it/en/
latest report
The lifts open at 08:30 so I got the lift from Badia village at 08:35 over towards La Villa, took the gondola up from there and I'd reached Armentarola by 09:40. Got into a taxi with six other people to Passo Falzarego (fare is now €7) and got there by 10:00. I was intending to ski first at Cinque Torri, but there was a sign saying it was closed due to strong winds, so I went up the cable car to the top of Lagazuoi (the cable car was still running in spite of the wind). A picture from the top:

Lagazuoi was quite windy at the top, so I set off for the Hidden Valley run, by the time I reached Scotoni's it was more sheltered there so I had a hot chocolate there then carried on to Capanna Alpina where there was a sign saying the horse tow wasn't running but there were frequent taxis going back to Armentarola for only €3 per person.
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, Do you know when the lifts from La Villa to Santa Croce are scheduled to stop running?

Hope you enjoyed Kronplatz (despite the wind?) there are some cracking long, wide runs there.
ski holidays
Ah .. Great memories. Stayed in Ustaria Posta a few summers ago. Absolutely loved it. (Cycling not skiing). Will definitely return for a winter trip.

Is his father still around? Elderly fella, sits in the bar most evenings chatting to visitors or playing cards with friends. Lovely lovely bloke, with fantastic stories (even though you have to communicate with hands if you don't speak Italian!).

If you fancy it, go to this place one evening ... http://www.masorunch.it/en/ Truly stunning experience and food. It's walkable from Ustaria Posta, and is incredibly memorable. It's basically a family farm where they have turned the living rooms into a restaurant. All guests sit down at the same time, and they bought out whatever they have cooked for the day. So much food! From the website it looks like they now have a more traditional menu style of service, but i would imagine the food is still excellent!
snow report
@dode, I've just asked Igor and he says those lifts close this Sunday.Edit: they close at the end of Sunday, so they are operating on Sunday. He said that there are a few connecting lifts in the Alta Badia region operating beyond Sunday and the Sella Ronda is still open beyond Sunday, but I didn't ask him when that is due to close.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 28-03-23 18:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Alastair Pink, thanks for that. Looks like we’ll just miss it, Sunday is our 1st ski day. Oh, well… there is always next season.
latest report
@dode, just to clarify I spoke to Igor and he says that Sunday is the last day the lifts are operating to Santa Croce ( i.e they close at the end of Sunday afternoon), so if you want to visit Santa Croce you can just make it! snowHead
ski holidays
magic_hat wrote:
Ah .. Great memories. Stayed in Ustaria Posta a few summers ago. Absolutely loved it. (Cycling not skiing). Will definitely return for a winter trip.

Is his father still around? Elderly fella, sits in the bar most evenings chatting to visitors or playing cards with friends. Lovely lovely bloke, with fantastic stories (even though you have to communicate with hands if you don't speak Italian!).

Yes his father is still around and still plays cards with friends in the bar, Igor took this photo of me standing next to him at his card table Very Happy

snow report
@Alastair Pink, phew! Thanks for clarifying
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy