Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things I don’t get about (other people) skiing

Poster: A snowHead
zikomo wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
Layne wrote:

A restaurant lunch I do not get. For several reasons. 1) the time it takes 2) the faff (undressing/dressing) 3) worrying about my skis getting nicked 4) going out skiing after a big meal. I was once with an off piste group and it was a bit whiteoutish. So the guide suggested we have a proper lunch. It was nice and all but even then the 4 issues above all came into play.

Exactly this. For those insisting food is an important aspect of their trip a nice relaxed dinner after getting out ski clothes and showered seems preferable. You still get the same food, yet eliminate all the issues with lunch.

It seems a bit judgemental using the word "insisting", as if it is the most ridiculous thing in the world that food might be an important part of the trip for some. If it is not for you, then fair enough, each to their own. It is to me, and I would have thought that would be fair enough too.

I can see why you might prefer an evening meal, after showering and changing. I happen to really enjoy a fine lunch on the mountain, and have no problem eating it in my ski clothes. As do my family. And I certainly do not find it a faff to take my helmet and jacket off to do so. Why pass judgement on this? If you prefer a relaxed meal in the evening and I prefer a relaxed meal at lunch so what? It does not mean that one or the other is "preferable"!

I think you are reading too much into a word. I don't personally get stopping for a sit down lunch for the reasons mentioned. I'm more than happy for others to stop as it means less people on the mountain!

While I enjoy experiencing the local food, my priority is snowboarding. If I can spend more time snowboarding and get the same food experience when the lifts are closed dinner seems preferable. Of course for others the "holiday" is as much, or even more, about food (or spas, nightlife, shopping etc.) and obviously their priorities are different.

Honestly I don't really care how people chose to spend their time, more power for them doing what they enjoy, but it's the whole idea of this thread pointing out things others do you don't get. I've certainly seen people that suffer through an afternoon skiing while knackered in awful conditions because they are on a ski holiday so feel they have to do first to last lift.

Regarding self catering I think the vast majority of the time it is about affordability.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

it's part of LG culture!

Only happened once in the 15 or so years we went. Might have been a Derby week...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't get people that like polenta. I find it safer to have an inherent distrust of them.... and gnocchi come to think of it too!

Folk that like aperol spritz make it onto the "reasonably wary of" list.

Avoid eye contact with anyone that likes dumplings.... the clue is in the name people!!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
JohnS4 wrote:
I suspect this might not be a popular view on here but I don't get why people go on holiday then cook dinner for themselves in self-catering apartments.

Because it can be a part of the social experience. Your own music, your own vibe, your own fussinesses accomodated. Your own booze so significant savings possible Not needing to traipse uphill or around various locations to get a table on a busy night. I wouldn't want to do it with say my family every night but in a social setting like the EOSB it works (although that's conditional on appartment mates mucking in in various ways).

I suppose it depends on the type of social experience you want, I find that when going out in the evening we always end up meeting and talking with random people we've never met before in bars and restaurants which I like. Often we turn up at places without a reservation and just sit at the bar eating where you often meet interesting people.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boarder2020, Ok then, apologies for taking "insisting" the wrong way!

On the lunch aspect, I get that for some it is all about the skiing/boarding. And that is very important to me too. But we rack up some serious vertical while still being able to enjoy a sit-down lunch. My wife is not a fan of stopping mid-run and there is very little faffing as we all ski a fair bit. I doubt we will ski much less than most who ski first to last lift with a quick sandwich in between. Not to say that is better than frequent stops etc. just the way we like to ski.

Self-catering is definitely not about cost for us. Large family who have spent years skiing in Switzerland, where I can assure you a decent chalet for a week is not cheap! Especially when the kids were wee it was simply more convenient and much less stressful to have more space and be in control of our own schedule. Last holiday we ate out 3 times and ate in 4 times. Big lunches on the 4 days we ate in, so simple salad, bread, meats, cheeses, maybe the odd nice sausage were what we actually wanted in the evening. Some nice wine. Followed by the new ritual of poker. I don't feel organising that as any effort really (always make sure there is a dishwasher) and it's very pleasant spending that time together.

I would hate to be in a hotel for the week, with a defined schedule and eating in the same place every night. And no space for the family to spend fun times together. But I get that for others that is very relaxing. I find it a bit strange this whole "get", "don't get" thing. Just because others do it in ways I would hate, does not mean I don't "get" why they love it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnS4 wrote:
I suspect this might not be a popular view on here but I don't get why people go on holiday then cook dinner for themselves in self-catering apartments.

For me a big part of a holiday is not having to do the things you have to do at home. I'd much rather go out and eat somewhere where I can just sit down with a drink and let someone else have all the hassle of cooking.

I get the attraction of an apartment so you have your own place (we stayed in a nice one this year), and even making a bit of breakfast, but there's no way I'd go on a skiing holiday and be cooking food every evening when I could be out enjoying the local restaurants while someone else does that for me. Even more strange is the people who bring their own food all the way from the UK when there are local shops where they can buy everything anyway.

Aside from some of the other things people have mentioned (cost, socializing in a flat), another one for me is that I often enjoy, after a hard day’s skiing and perhaps a vin chaud, coming back to the flat, having a bath (sauna if available) & spending the rest of the evening in my dressing gown and slippers, only going out a couple of times during a week. It wasn’t until this season that I did a ski trip that wasn’t self-catering: I’ve enjoyed both, so far, and been pleasantly surprised by how relaxing the hotels were, with or without restaurants (but both with saunas). It also depends on how far your accommodation is from restaurants, but sometimes getting dressed again to go out and look for food is the last thing I want to do!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zikomo wrote:
I would hate to be in a hotel for the week, with a defined schedule and eating in the same place every night. And no space for the family to spend fun times together. But I get that for others that is very relaxing. I find it a bit strange this whole "get", "don't get" thing. Just because others do it in ways I would hate, does not mean I don't "get" why they love it!

I was a bit concerned about this before the SCGB trip to Alagna in January. One thing (of very many) that I found great about the Hotel Monterosa was that there are multiple sitting areas (aside from the Caffe delle Guide downstairs) and an honesty bar and fridge, so it's easy for groups to congregate over aperitifs / digestifs / post-ski debriefs / games of cards. Pleasantly relaxed dinner service, too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dode wrote:
I don't get people that like polenta. I find it safer to have an inherent distrust of them.... and gnocchi come to think of it too!

Avoid eye contact with anyone that likes dumplings.... the clue is in the name people!!!!

Have to agree on polenta, the soggy stuff.
Gnocchi I like
Dumplings are the food of gods, yet to fine a nations / area's dumpling that I don't like.

Bang on with aperol, especially people who raved on like it was some wonderful new drink (when it first got "popular") and then took offence when you called it poor mans Dubonnet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
t44tomo wrote:
Bang on with aperol, especially people who raved on like it was some wonderful new drink (when it first got "popular") and then took offence when you called it poor mans Dubonnet.

I think of it as even poorer man's Campari.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dode wrote:

Polenta - yes it is the food of the devil!

I have become quite fond of an aperol spritz, which is strange as not my sort of thing at all and was in the same camp as you on this. But, just seems to work in some circumstances now. Please don't tell anyone though, it is embarrassing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I think of it as even poorer man's Campari

Well it is a neutered Campari isn't it?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jmr59 wrote:
zikomo wrote:

I was a bit concerned about this before the SCGB trip to Alagna in January. One thing (of very many) that I found great about the Hotel Monterosa was that there are multiple sitting areas (aside from the Caffe delle Guide downstairs) and an honesty bar and fridge, so it's easy for groups to congregate over aperitifs / digestifs / post-ski debriefs / games of cards. Pleasantly relaxed dinner service, too.

Sounds lovely, and very relaxed for a hotel. But with family I think I would still find it a bit constraining, and would miss having that special time in our own space. My wife and I have done an occasional night in a very nice hotel in Zermatt to attend the Zermatt Unplugged festival in spring which was a great luxury. And we used to do 3 nights at the Fletchshorn in Sass Fee at the start of our February holiday (back when we took the kids out of school for a few extra days). Amazing food and we were good friends with owners and staff, we enjoyed it but everyone was looking forward to getting into the chalet at the end of it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dode wrote:

We need a word.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What I DO love about other peoples’ skiing is that lots of them publish / share their experiences in here, and because of health reasons I’ve not been able to ski for 6 years now, that’s really important to me
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zikomo wrote:
Sounds lovely, and very relaxed for a hotel. But with family I think I would still find it a bit constraining, and would miss having that special time in our own space.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense: I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to self-catering (and self-contained) accommodation for those who want that, but it's a nice example of a hotel that has done a lot to counteract some of the disadvantages of hotels (for those of us who see them as disadvantages!)--it worked well for a group of adults who mostly didn't know one another but wanted an opportunity for some socializing in the evenings without having to go out to a bar or restaurant in order to do so. Great mostly Piemontese wine list, too.
snow conditions
IME quite a lot of men don't like polenta. Or risotto. Whereas quite a lot of women do. It's not really about skiing, though...... Laughing
ski holidays
FWIW, I love polenta (especially when made with lots of butter and grilled to finish, served with calves liver in the Venetian style) I like Aperol Spritz well enough and I absolutely loathe dumplings. I can take or leave risotto.
latest report
I love polenta, particularly with a nice, rich, juniper- and bay-heavy stew e.g. of pork cheeks or venison. (It's also nice chilled in a tray, sliced and barbecued.) I usually say yes, despite myself, when offered an Aperol spritz, and am usually disappointed (give me a Campari & soda or Americano or Negroni sbagliato any day). Risotto (pumpkin and sage; mushroom; Milanese) I love, but when we've made the mistake of making it as a main dish for supper then we've been hungry again within 45 minutes.
snow report
Back from a ski trip to Italy, I was speaking to an Italian that ran a local deli here, he asked where I'd visited, I replied Sauze d'Oulx, to which he responded "ooh, they're all polenta eaters up there" he from Rimini and self described as a beach person, wouldn't be seen anywhere near polenta Laughing

Just amused me, that invisible social division I was unaware of.
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:
Back from a ski trip to Italy, I was speaking to an Italian that ran a local deli here, he asked where I'd visited, I replied Sauze d'Oulx, to which he responded "ooh, they're all polenta eaters up there" he from Rimini and self described as a beach person, wouldn't be seen anywhere near polenta Laughing

Just amused me, that invisible social division I was unaware of.

Italy is a country or often very distinct regional cuisines. Apparently it's not uncommon for fist fights to break out in shared student housing in Rome over how long the pasta should be cooked for. I've encountered a couple of shared flats where they cook two separate pots of pasta to cater for the difference in taste/doneness for northerners/southerners.
snow report
Note to self:

Add NoDosh, Pam w, hurtle & jmr59 to “The List” Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
Laughing
snow conditions
What @ski3, @pam w and @Hurtle said.
ski holidays
@dode, I'm quite partial to spritzes, though without the fizzy water. Aperol is fine, St Germain too sweet, rather like Martinis Rosso (or even or Fiero on those funny sorts of days).

Am I first up against the wall?
ski holidays
@under a new name, I thought it was the fizzy water which made it a spritz?
latest report
pam w wrote:
@under a new name, I thought it was the fizzy water which made it a spritz?
and - in the case of an Aperol spritz - the prosecco.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I’m with Pam on the fizzy being the spritz, so I think you are safe.
snow conditions
dode wrote:
Note to self:

Add NoDosh, Pam w, hurtle & jmr59 to “The List” Laughing

List of people to whom you might serve dumplings? Laughing
ski holidays
@dode, I came across this perfect translation of polenta in an Italian cafe last summer.

ski holidays
@adithorp, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Campari and sparkling white wine for me. Aperol just doesn't have enougth flavour. I cannot see why people would drink it.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
I can see why you might prefer an evening meal, after showering and changing. I happen to really enjoy a fine lunch on the mountain, and have no problem eating it in my ski clothes. As do my family. And I certainly do not find it a faff to take my helmet and jacket off to do so. Why pass judgement on this? If you prefer a relaxed meal in the evening and I prefer a relaxed meal at lunch so what? It does not mean that one or the other is "preferable"!

Why are you seeming to suggest that it is an option of one or the other. This is an AND thing is it not?! Laughing

Gordyjh wrote:
I love the peace & tranquility of the mountains. If someone else wants to listen to music, no problem as long as they use headphones. Why does anyone feel it’s their right to impose their musical (lack of) taste on others? It’s the same in the car, the park…

I don't disagree, I love the peace of the mountains, but I'm not sure it is my god given right to enjoy them the way only I want. What is to say that the person who is listening with a particular type of music playing is in the wrong? It is not causing actual harm, just spoiling our idea of what is right. Which is of course completely subjective.

boarder2020 wrote:
Layne wrote:

A restaurant lunch I do not get. For several reasons. 1) the time it takes 2) the faff (undressing/dressing) 3) worrying about my skis getting nicked 4) going out skiing after a big meal. I was once with an off piste group and it was a bit whiteoutish. So the guide suggested we have a proper lunch. It was nice and all but even then the 4 issues above all came into play.

Exactly this. For those insisting food is an important aspect of their trip a nice relaxed dinner after getting out ski clothes and showered seems preferable. You still get the same food, yet eliminate all the issues with lunch.

I'm sorry what...getting undressed?? I'd suggest not wearing the blow up moomin suit if that is an issue. Skis nicked...there is plenty of ways to minimse this risk...I completely get the time may not be something you want to 'lose', that is of course a perfectly reasonable choice, but the others are more minor issues than I would ever have considered!

It's fantastic that even just here there are a bucket load of different views. It makes it far easier for people to get what they want as if everyone wanted the identical thing we'd be buggered.
snow report
@NoDosh, @adithorp, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I'm just surprised this thread has reached page 3 with nobody saying "I don't get why people ski in country X, when country Y is so much better" or "I don't get why people don't buy winter tyres when they are driving in the mountains" Happy
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@dode, I'm quite partial to spritzes, though without the fizzy water. Aperol is fine, St Germain too sweet, rather like Martinis Rosso (or even or Fiero on those funny sorts of days).

Am I first up against the wall?

At a restaurant in Ste Foy one March, they'd mucked up a lunch order (sorted out by the fine proprietor) and brought to me a plain Martini Rosso on ice in a tumbler, absolute bliss sitting there in the sun looking down the Tarantaise, and now buy a litre bottle of Rosso on the way home which reminds me of that fine day.

Could do with the Aston Martin to go with it though Very Happy with winter tyres of course Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:
The people who have a go at people who have a speaker in their backpack...are you serious, just get on with life...
Yes, deadly serious. I'll have you know that I reserve the right to be neurotically intolerant of loads of things Laughing

The blaring speakers thing is so rude. It's just part of the modern day philosophy of no consideration for anyone else - sod it, I'll do exactly as I please. Kids also do it in McDonald's (etc) car parks - music blaring from cars - and (as bad as on ski trips) on otherwise quiet campsites, well beyond the stated time of no noise after Xpm.

None of this stops me getting on with life though wink

Is there really nothing in life that annoys you, or winds you up then @Legend? Wow! Laughing
ski holidays
I used to not get Schnapps until this January when the coffee alone wasn't enough to warm me up. Improved my morning no end.
snow report
JohnS4 wrote:
I'm just surprised this thread has reached page 3 with nobody saying "I don't get why people ski in country X, when country Y is so much better" or "I don't get why people don't buy winter tyres when they are driving in the mountains" Happy

I'm pleasantly surprised that no one's said 'I don't get snowboarding' yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy