Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things I don’t get about (other people) skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Gordyjh wrote:
@Extremophile, nah, just taking the samples out of people walking extreme distances. Laughing

There’s a good reason for inventing the internal combustion engine.

Just taking the samples out of people who use religion as an excuse and dress it up as enlightenment.

There are thousand of reasons someone might enjoy being several miles from the nearest combustion engine.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
There are thousand of reasons someone might enjoy being several miles from the nearest combustion engine.

And 999 of those reason has nothing to do with god (the 1 is pilgrimage). Laughing

In a world that’s increasingly secular, religion/god based jokes frequently fall flat.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I enjoy being miles away from internal combustion engines but I don’t want to walk there! I certainly don’t want to swim the Channel carrying my ski kit!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
Quote:

And 999 of those reason has nothing to do with god (the 1 is pilgrimage). Laughing

In a world that’s increasingly secular, religion/god based jokes frequently fall flat.

Pilgrimage can take many forms itself, for example, my pilgrimage is one that I didn’t know I was taking at the time, and shaped me in ways I cannot describe. Pilgrimage is not defined by religion or your personal discovery of a ‘god’.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Extremophile wrote:
abc wrote:
Quote:

Pilgrimage can take many forms itself, for example, my pilgrimage is one that I didn’t know I was taking at the time, and shaped me in ways I cannot describe. Pilgrimage is not defined by religion or your personal discovery of a ‘god’.

So you need to have the last word on every point? You can have it. rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just because YOUR pilgrimage doesn’t involve religion doesn’t invalidate it being closely related to religion by many others.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure about drift, this is a full on avalanche obliterating the thread Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
Just because YOUR pilgrimage doesn’t involve religion doesn’t invalidate it being closely related to religion by many others.

I didn’t bring up the conversation about religion, comments were directed my way about god, so I answered. This is called a conversation. I didn’t invalidate anyone else’s pilgrimage, but connected pilgrimage exclusively with religion is something of a misnomer on your part.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lads take the hint and take this somewhere else.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rogg wrote:

I think they are both lasses so for once it isn't dick swinging.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
rogg wrote:

I think they are both lasses so for once it isn't dick swinging.

Ooops. Sorry didn’t know, but the post emails the same.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back on topic... Groups of middle aged, middle class men intent on making sure everyone in the area is getting the benefit of their wisdom. An accusation of eavesdropping would never stick! They're usually English...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliegolf wrote:
Back on topic... Groups of middle aged, middle class men intent on making sure everyone in the area is getting the benefit of their wisdom. An accusation of eavesdropping would never stick! They're usually English...

Hmm...now where does that remind me of?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charliegolf wrote:

Often seen wearing Respect The Mountain wristbands. wink
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Not sure about drift, this is a full on avalanche obliterating the thread Laughing

This is a thread about people doing things that baffle others. So being baffled about why anyone would bother to walk miles and miles isn’t all that different.

It was very much a tongue in cheek joke, which someone took it literally and got all work up…
ski holidays
abc wrote:
halfhand wrote:

This is a thread about people doing things that baffle others. So being baffled about why anyone would bother to walk miles and miles isn’t all that different.

It was very much a tongue in cheek joke, which someone took it literally and got all work up…

You’re the only one worked up.
latest report
Last word has been had. rolling eyes
ski holidays
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
abc wrote:
Last word has been had. rolling eyes

Apparently not Smile
snow conditions
I'm bored, so a late night ramble on snow heads, has me here, a thing that baffles me about skiing is some peoples infatuation with " kit " , brand, spec, etc. Ok if your skiing to an almost professional level, but do people who ski once twice, maybe three times a year need to update their " kit " all the time? then tell you all about said brand.
latest report
No, is the short answer. Posers just like to brag.
snow conditions
No, is the short answer. Posers just like to brag.
ski holidays
The only person I know what is now doing Compostela for the second time has no religious motivation but does like physical challenges. After the first one he tried to do a "Tour de Mont Blanc" with much younger nephews who were fitter than him and jogged up mountains before breakfast. He failed - altitude, essentially.

This time he is doing the trek with two men, a Frenchman and a German, he met and walked some time with last time. His wife had joined the early stages and was fine with the walking but getting a bit bored and very fed up with nights of poor sleep surrounded by noisy snorers.

The motivation of folk who do extreme feats, on their feet, on bikes, or skis, on kayaks or any other way is difficult for the rest of us to understand. It probably always has some "spiritual" (broadly defined) component, whether you call that religion or not. When I did the Canterbury Tales for A-level English it did seem quite jolly!
snow conditions
biddpyat wrote:
I'm bored, so a late night ramble on snow heads, has me here, a thing that baffles me about skiing is some peoples infatuation with " kit " , brand, spec, etc. Ok if your skiing to an almost professional level, but do people who ski once twice, maybe three times a year need to update their " kit " all the time? then tell you all about said brand.

Some people spend on kit when they can't be "doing" as a displacement or are looking to optimise their stuff so they get the best out of their limited time on snow. You're right someone skiing every day probably isn't doing the same agonising. Plus y'know blokes.
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:

Sometimes people infatuate about kit precisely because they can only ski once or twice a year. It's how they can stay connected with doing something they love.
snow conditions
With @Layne on this. Kit is 'dream fuel' - like going to the Snow Show, or the the Oktobertest - there was a 2nd hand splitty over on the For Sale threads that I'm willing to admit I did have a pang about for for a moment...
latest report
pam w wrote:
The only person I know what is now doing Compostela for the second time has no religious motivation but does like physical challenges. After the first one he tried to do a "Tour de Mont Blanc" with much younger nephews who were fitter than him and jogged up mountains before breakfast. He failed - altitude, essentially.

This time he is doing the trek with two men, a Frenchman and a German, he met and walked some time with last time. His wife had joined the early stages and was fine with the walking but getting a bit bored and very fed up with nights of poor sleep surrounded by noisy snorers.

The motivation of folk who do extreme feats, on their feet, on bikes, or skis, on kayaks or any other way is difficult for the rest of us to understand. It probably always has some "spiritual" (broadly defined) component, whether you call that religion or not. When I did the Canterbury Tales for A-level English it did seem quite jolly!

Not sure about spiritual really. I'm not a spiritual person but I'm contemplating something that would seem excessive and grueling to many but I am quite sure I would find hugely enjoyable. I want to walk the Haute Route des Pyrenees which is a much longer, wilder and more adventurous alternative to the GRs. I'll likely do most if it solo with friends and family joining me for bits. It would be physically demanding (distances, verticals, carry weights given limitations to huts and food supply), route finding can be tricky as many sections are not waymarked. But I know I will just find it so enjoyable, satisfying and uplifting. It won't be any kind of penance!

I need about 6 weeks so I just need to extract myself from working Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitions are difficult, but going off, away from work, away from others most of the time, to do something like that probably counts as "spiritual" in my book, insofar as you already identify it as "uplifting". Being spiritual (or for that matter religious, in many cases) is certainly not about "penance".
latest report
TBH I just don't get shopping whether it's for clothes, ski gear, climbing gear, gadgets, cars. In fact more or less anything. I have come across people buying a new ski jacket when the previous one still fits and isn't worn out. Why? It doesn't do anything the other one didn't do. With modern fabrics clothes don't wear out like they used to but I still see people in clothes shops buying new clothes - why? When I was explaining to a friend that I spend a few hundred pounds a year on clothes (I thought it was a lot) he said "I bet you have gortex ski clothing etc. so you must spend more" I pointed out that an equivilant good quality ski jacket costs about £300 and lasts, perhaps, 10 years - so only £30 per annum. In the last 10 years I've spend, perhaps £600 on ski clothing (not including boots). My one weekness, however, is shoes. I buy a new pair of gortex approach trainers more or less every year, then wear them out. Typically they account for a third of my clothing budget.

And what I really don't understand is when someone on this forum is looking for a ski resort such their non skiing partners "can go shopping". You are in a beautiful place with lots of activities going on and you actually want to go shopping!

Yes, I'm bored with work and fancied a rant.
latest report
I don't think it really makes much difference what sort of activity people are doing, some of them will always find a way to get techie and geeky about it. For some that will be spending weeks researching all the kit and a fortune on buying it, others can get obsessed about performance and go for any sort of gadget or method that helps them (believe that they will) improve like the Carv thing discussed on here at length a couple of months back. Other go for fitness training, getting obsessed with online tutorial videos, or just doing it.

Let's face it, we're all a bit obsessed in one way or another, so if it helps some people to get their 'hit' then why not?
snow report
Thanks for reminder all, probably the time to get looking for new gear for this season that I don’t really need.
ski holidays
I dislike shopping.

Even for stuff I need, I still dislike the time it takes to hunt for it. I’d rather be using it, whether it’s clothing, or hardware. But in practice, clothing need to fit (don’t even get me started on buying new ski boots), hardware need to have certain feature for best functionality. So certain amount of research need to go in. I usually do it grudgingly, out of necessity.

So the day it actually arrive, or better yet, the day I use it, is the day I finally feel “thank god I’d done shopping”!

One last thing, I like my gear durable. That cuts down the frequency of the required “shopping” for its replacement in the future.

That said, I enjoy strictly window shopping looking at things I don’t need and won’t buy. I think window display is a bit of an art. Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Definitions are difficult, but going off, away from work, away from others most of the time, to do something like that probably counts as "spiritual" in my book, insofar as you already identify it as "uplifting". Being spiritual (or for that matter religious, in many cases) is certainly not about "penance".

I take your point but "spiritual" has to mean more than "stuff that makes you feel good" doesn't it? It implies nurturing a "soul" or similar thing which I don't believe exists. But perhaps in modern parlance it just means "stuff that is good for your mental equilibrium"?
ski holidays
@jedster, Yes, like you I've always read more into it than simply uplifting. It's a term I always view with some suspicion, given it's implication of the supernatural, and I always struggle to work out what people actually mean when they use it. I do like your definition "stuff that is good for your mental equilibrium" though and I think you may be dead on the mark there.

Of course, if that's what people mean, one can't help but wonder why they don't just say that. Hey ho.
ski holidays
I've no problem with "soul" being used in a secular sense. Hence I guess spiritual is whatever feeds that bit of you between the logical mind and the reflexive functioning body. I do have an adverse reaction to those who describe themselves as "very spiritual people" which generally seems to me to be a licence to believe all sorts of hippy dippy claptrap. Once was on a rafting trip in Nepal with a Dutch woman who swung a little pendulum over all the food to see if it was good or not. Mind you I got dreadful food poisoning the day I got back to Katmandu so don't know who had the last laugh.
latest report
OK - if we are going to kvetch…

1) groups who stand right across the piste shouting to each other
2) people who stand on my skis in the lift queue
3) people who get off a chair lift and stop to decide where to go next

NB - we always mix our skis up at restaurants. Start early, stop for hot chocolate (20 minutes) then crack on and have empty slopes when everyone goes for lunch. Heaven.
ski holidays
Red21 wrote:

NB - we always mix our skis up at restaurants. Start early, stop for hot chocolate (20 minutes) then crack on and have empty slopes when everyone goes for lunch. Heaven.

Our plan exactly. Ski, relaxed coffee, ski, relaxed late lunch, ski a bit more.
snow report
Don’t understand those who go on a ski trip and have an early night every night, refuse apres, don’t drink or socialise in the evenings and ‘squeeze every second out of the mountain’.

Yes I get you love skiing. So do I.

But it’s a holiday. Chill out. Make memories. Come socialise with us.
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:
Don’t understand those who go on a ski trip and have an early night every night, refuse apres, don’t drink or socialise in the evenings…..
Make memories. Come socialise with us.

Too much socialising means less memories not more.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy