Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine Vs La Plagne Vs Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

i am planning our season closing for the week 8 till 15 April.
I want to keep the budget as low as possible, thats why e.g. Val Thorens is not an option.
I am between these three resorts based mostly because of the offers i get. However if find it impossible to take a decision or at least, make on resort as the major targer. I intend to book a little bit later (ca 10 days before our trip) however i mention here what i am thinking. Maybe someone has another view / option

A. Flaine
+ we were there the first week in January and the kids loved it. Thats a plus for me , because it means that they (also we) know the resort, slopes etc
+ it has enought snow comparing with othe non glacier resorts
+ there are some slopes above 2.000 and some between the trees if the weather is foggy
- not so high as the other two
- i have no idea how the slopes round the village would like in this time
- no idea if most of the slopes will be open (also restaurants etc)

B. La Plagne (Plagne Bellecote)
+ relativ high
+ slopes till ca 3.000
+ tree runs but also high alt. slopes
- I found Plagne Bellecote a little bit "small", nur a couple of block-residences.

I suppose the snow will be better as Flaine but no experience from this resort.

C. Tignes.
same as La Plagne but without tree runs, and i think Tignes is more like a village as Plagne Bellecote.

I have to mention that slush snow it is not a problem for us. I dont think that the situation will be worse as the first Week of Januar. And according to my experience it is better in some north facing empty slopes , even in a lower altitude, as south facing slopes, or most importan really full slopes, even if they are higher.

Did i miss something?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surprised that you find Val Thorens is significantly more expensive than Tignes.

I'd probably go for Tignes because of extensive high altitude skiing. Not Flaine, because of the lack of it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed. Because in Tignes the kids are skiing for free (till 8 years old)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went to top of Flaine yesterday just for the last visit and then spent rest of the day in Sumoens and mainly on blue dahu. Even though the last bit dahu/zizi goes through the woods, lots of the riding was in a very foggy conditions. I wonder if Les Carooz would have been better.

edit: On the other hand i wonder what it will look like in couple weeks time, quite early on dahu we could see small stones.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think Flaine will be the cheapest in terms of lift pass and accommodation of the places you are thinking of.

I love Flaine in April. However it will definitely be slushy at resort level in the afternoons with some large moguls at the bottom of a few of the reds just above the resort. Higher up should be good. some runs such as those off the Aujon drag may have closed. The lower parts of the grand massif eg les carroz and morillon will be past their best by then (check if they are scheduled to be open that week) but there should be enough to keep you happy in Flaine and the runs will be less busy than the tarentaise.

La Plagne (particularly if you include Les Arcs and get the paradiski pass) is a much larger ski area but you would need to base yourselves in one of the higher villages (above 1800) that week. Ie. I wouldn't book les coches or montchavin as they may be green fields by then. They usually keep one run open for the link to les arcs.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 20-03-23 16:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes Flaine ist definitely the cheapest option.
If we will head to flaine i dont think will bother for the runs till les carroz etc (except the conditions are really great)
And usually we ski from 09.30 till 12.30 as the kids are in the school, and then we eat all together and maybe a couple of runs more.
I expect tha some lifts will be close. But we be at least the major lifts/runs open? and some restaurants etc?

I dont want a feeling of a ghost ski resort
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
see my post below

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-03-23 16:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That late in the season it is not just snow you need to take into consideration, but availability of such things as accommodation, shops, ski schools etc - many places close for business before the lifts shut.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
accommodation + ski school are available. For shops i have no idea. Thats why i ask
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Before booking I would maybe check the snow depths/conditions in Flaine on the snowheads grand massif thread. Normally Flaine would be ok for the week you are thinking of but I know the Grand Massif has suffered at lower levels with rain this season so the snow depth at resort level in Flaine could be below average even if there is plenty of snow higher up. It is hard to tell at this stage what it will be like by mid April. On reflection I would either wait a bit longer to book it or go for a higher resort this season.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well i do not intend to book before the first days of April. I will take the risk for last minute booking.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Presumably this is a TO trip then? So yes, you can leave it late - should be bargains to be had.

How many kids are there? What ages? Because, yeah different resorts have different cut offs for free passes and in the larger resorts that can be a good saving? How the 3 compare on that?

"I dont want a feeling of a ghost ski resort" - then you are going at the wrong time of the year. All ski stations will be quiet.

Forget tree skiing. It's not important at that time of the year. Any stormy/snowy weather will be short lived.

Not really sure what you mean by Bellecote being small. What is exactly are you looking for/do you need? For me smaller is/was always better.

La Plagne has several different ski stations as does Tignes though not so many. They are pretty functional in nature - personally don't think it makes much odds.

So back to the question, I don't know Flagne. It's a bit of a toss up between Tignes and La Plagne in terms of conditions - both have decent altitude and a mixture of NSEW facing runs. Don't think you would go wrong with either.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes. I will book so late as possible.
Although maybe from something like sunweb als Packard but there are no flights etc to bother

The Kids are 5 and 7 meaning in flaine and tignes they dont pay at All. In plagne i have a good offer fro bellecote so i am been between 950 Euro for flaine 1050 pkagne and ca 1200 for tignes for accomidation and ski Passes

I dont mind if there is quiet. But i dont want to go sonewhere where the 60-70% of Restaurants etc are already close

How is plagne bellecote? Has some Restaurant Cafés Shops etc? Or only the appart Blocks and the Lifts?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@turms2, you've mentioned Plagne Bellecote a few times in regards to La Plagne, is it that village in particular that you have spotted a deal? There's lots of options in that area - Belle Plagne, Plagne Soleil, Plagne Villages, Plagne Centre etc etc.

Belle Plagne, for example, is more than just a couple of blocks. And the dates you mention are the 2nd week of easter school hols, so I can't imagine any restaurants being closed, in fact I can imagine Belle Plagne (being one of the higher villages) being relatively busy, definitely not a ghost town.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The best Deal from la plagne i have from plagne bellecote...thats why i mentioned it so oft.
If i choose other village from la plagne then tignes is a cheaper option..

I suppose tignes or la plagne will not be Ghost town since they are open til end of april.
snow report
turms2 wrote:
The best Deal from la plagne i have from plagne bellecote...thats why i mentioned it so oft.
If i choose other village from la plagne then tignes is a cheaper option..

I suppose tignes or la plagne will not be Ghost town since they are open til end of april.

Okay makes sense. Yes La Plagne (especially around the Bellecote/Belle Plagne area) is a popular destination for Easter school holidays, so everything will be open and it will be a nice level of busy-ness. There's quite a few restaurants in Bellecote, and then you always have the option of going up the gondola (it has pedestrian use) to Belle Plagne, which opens up more bars and restaurants. There's plenty of upper slopes, and you don't really have to worry about going lower than 1900 (which could be key).

There is potential for more snow in the next couple of weeks, but (as seems to be the trend this season) most will fall at over 1800m, with rain below. That coupled with lack of base and higher temps in April, would make me a little concerned about those runs back into resort for Flaine - the runs into Bellecote should be fine, and definitely won't be an issue with Tignes.
ski holidays
Hm...i will wait mittle bit more to see how the weather in the next days will be. However i think i Have to put plagne or tignes als first choices
snow conditions
@turms2, just to note just booked up a trip to Les Menuires and it was cheaper to buy through tourist information website than snowtrex. Exactly same apartment and lift pass. It's not obvious as they price/work things differently. Through tourist site they show price of apartment only and have a vague statement about lift pass discount but you can price it before paying. Sunweb/Snowtrex always have price per person together. I also prefer to cut out middlemen if possible.
snow report
I know. Usually i try both of them.
For Flaine there is not a Difference at All.
For Tignes is better if i book from tourist Office but For la plagne the best price till now OS from sunweb
ski holidays
@turms2, where in Tignes is the deal you've found?
snow report
I did Flaine last Easter and a large number of restaurants had closed and even supermarkets had limited basic essentials. Understandable (maybe) given the slopes were closing on that particular weekend but as above, I would opt for a higher resort not so close to the very end of the season.
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@turms2, where in Tignes is the deal you've found?

In La lavachet (?)
However the appart is already booked. I will check für pther options
snow conditions
Moorzee10 wrote:
I did Flaine last Easter and a large number of restaurants had closed and even supermarkets had limited basic essentials. Understandable (maybe) given the slopes were closing on that particular weekend but as above, I would opt for a higher resort not so close to the very end of the season.

Well that is the gamechanger.
That was i was afraid off.
I think i habe to leave flaine for next year again (Jan or Feb or no idea)
ski holidays
@turms2, La Plagne tourist office have an offer for that week (sublicimes) from 450 euros a person which includes accommodation, lift pass and ski hire - https://www.laplagneresort.com/great-deals/sublicimes?lang=en_US

Probably not a bad option if you are planning to drive down.
snow report
i already check it out. However it is a little bit silly because i cannot skip the ski hire out.
We have our own equipment and i dont want to pay for something that its probably worst as what we have

I have to be honest that i prefer Flaine. However what @Moorzee10 make me some worries. I was last April in Livigno and last day, i ate something from a restaurant (also last day of operation for the season) which probably was not sooo good. The next morning i wake up with salmonela symptoms. The trip from Livigno back home was like a horror movie.
snow conditions
Is this a trick question?

I love Flaine, but wouldn't go there in April. Just not enough altitude for mild sunny days

I wouldn't go to La Plagne any time of year. Queues, slow Chairs, fragmented, multiple choke points (it does have good skiing though, but no as good as Les Arcs just a gondola ride away, with less queues, better lifts, fewer choke points, etc)

Tignes is one of best resorts in world at any time of year
snow report
Nope. Not a Tricky question
Although i find flaine really nice i want to avoid to be there last week of the season.

I am looking for something in Tignes la plagne or also les arcs.
snow report
turms2 wrote:
The trip from Livigno back home was like a horror movie.

Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
turms2 wrote:
Nope. Not a Tricky question
Although i find flaine really nice i want to avoid to be there last week of the season.

I am looking for something in Tignes la plagne or also les arcs.

we were in Flaine until the end of the season last year, and are doing the same this year. It was absolutely fine, most things were open and running to the last day (okay maybe a couple of eateries were shut in the last day or two). Looking at how the resort survived this Christmas, I think April will be alright here
latest report
Ok now i am back to zero Laughing Very Happy
latest report
I'm sure 9 times out of 10 Flaine is "alright", but in a normal year I'd certainly pick Tignes, Les Arcs or La Plagne (in order of preference) over Flaine in April.
ski holidays
i have to ask that. Why are so negative comments for la plagne?
When i see the ski map i preffer la plagne from Les Arcs

I found some interessant offers in Les Arcs 1800.
Aber is not so high as e.g. Bellecote or other in La plagne
ski holidays
@turms2, We (family of 4) have skied Paradiski a lot. We stay in Les Coches and split our time 50/50 across the two domains - skiing off piste if possible or if not piste cruising anything that is good regardless of colour. We love both sides. The way I see it there are go to places either side piste/off piste, some main thoroughfares that naturally have to be skied a lot and then some outposts or oddities that we only occasionally hit. On busy weeks there can be queues and bottlenecks and yes, I would say they are a tad worse on the La Plagne side but not extreme IMO - even did HT once. Somebody made a comment about old lifts but they upgrade one a year on average I would say so that doesn't stack up IMO.
snow report
@Layne, thanks for the reply.
As long as i have to leave Flaine for next year, i will pay attention to where i find the best offer (Tignes, Les Arcs or La Plagne)
To be honest with two kids 5 and 7 i dont have the time to explore a resort as i want.
Important for me is the possibility after leaving the kids to the school, to have acces to some red-blacks slopes as fast as possible
And after picking the kids, some blue easy reds to ski all together . And of course some option to eat something with the kids
So, Tignes Les Arcs or Plagne it is not so a big difference.
latest report
@turms2, you are correct for you it won't make too much odds but no reason to steer clear of La Plagne IMO.

There are some good runs/things to do with kids in either Les Arcs/La Plagne. Let us know where you end up going and can give recs.
snow report
I like La Plagne a lot. Would still be a good choice - I just think that the Arc 2000 bowl is the most reliable place for for snow in Paradiski, so it's good to be near to it later in the season.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
@turms2, you are correct for you it won't make too much odds but no reason to steer clear of La Plagne IMO.

There are some good runs/things to do with kids in either Les Arcs/La Plagne. Let us know where you end up going and can give recs.

ok, will do so. I suppose today i will take the decision...
snow report
Quote:

Important for me is the possibility after leaving the kids to the school, to have acces to some red-blacks slopes as fast as possible

May I suggest Arc2000 then. Drop the children at ski school then straight to the Varet telecabine for the 3 blacks down from there, or down to the Ours or Combourciere for their respective blacks.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@turms2, We (family of 4) have skied Paradiski a lot. We stay in Les Coches and split our time 50/50 across the two domains - skiing off piste if possible or if not piste cruising anything that is good regardless of colour. We love both sides. The way I see it there are go to places either side piste/off piste, some main thoroughfares that naturally have to be skied a lot and then some outposts or oddities that we only occasionally hit. On busy weeks there can be queues and bottlenecks and yes, I would say they are a tad worse on the La Plagne side but not extreme IMO - even did HT once. Somebody made a comment about old lifts but they upgrade one a year on average I would say so that doesn't stack up IMO.

You’re obviously a fan of Les Coches so could I pick your brains?
We’ve got a mixed ability group and have a chalet option in Les Coches. We’re a bit worried that it is a bit betwixt and between both resorts- but presumably access to both sides is pretty reasonable? Also are the runs back down generally ok for slightly nervous “cruises blue” type skiers? Also is the apres scene likely to be ok for pretty full on 20 something year olds (obviously I’ll be tucked up in bed after a couple of glasses of red by 11 at the latest!) Cheers!
ski holidays
@Doccam, I am and you may.

Access to both sides is ideal. If going to Les Arcs you get one lift ski down to the Vanoise Express and you are over in Vallandry. 3 lifts and you are into the main areas of La Plagne.

There are cruisy blue options back down whether coming back over from Les Arcs or La Plagne.

Apres could be an issue as it's very quiet. There are a couple of very nice looking bars though.

Reasons we like it: easy drive in, lots of free street parking, good ski in/ski out apartment blocks, pleasant little station, easy access to the whole Paradiski domain, great tree skiing when the weather closes in, some good local off piste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy