Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break flying into Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We’re planning a Mon-Fri trip next March and looking for recommendations please.

Criteria:-
In France
Short(ish) transfer
Good apres ski… (first trip without the kids)
Don’t mind if not ski in/out but don’t want a lot of walking (use of buses are fine though)
Access to large ski area (both experienced skiers)

Thanks all
LB
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Verbier
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who do people so often say “in France” while asking for advice on where to go skiing, especially when flying into Geneva? Why discount anywhere else, like say the country you are landing in?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zikomo, Laughing Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Zikomo probably due to the vast difference in cost between resorts in france v switzerland
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zikomo, Why I suggested Verbier wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zikomo wrote:
Who do people so often say “in France” while asking for advice on where to go skiing, especially when flying into Geneva? Why discount anywhere else, like say the country you are landing in?

What if someone is fllying into Basel to ski Switzerland?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@zikomo, because traveling to Italy, Austria or Andorra from Geneva doesn't make a whole heap of sense, and Swissy is eye wateringly expensive.

Also, France is quite nice, innit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dr John, isn't Courmayeur a very short transfer? It seemed it when I flew into Geneva to go there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugarmoma666, correct, and very lovely it is too (but please don't burst my facetious bubble with cold hard facts)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
@sugarmoma666, correct, and very lovely it is too (but please don't burst my facetious bubble with cold hard facts)

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Dr John, isn't Courmayeur a very short transfer? It seemed it when I flew into Geneva to go there.

There’s a bit of “Dirty Harry” about the mont blanc tunnel though. Could be ok, could be 2 hours…
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, quite, and it would be a fairly miserable 2 hours.

@leeboy, sacrifice your short transfer requirement and go to Val d'Isere (yes, I am biased). Ticks all your other boxes, with bells on. You won't regret it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Switzerland is 'eye-wateringly expensive' thing is something of a cliché. Just like Vail, or Courcheval 1850 you can do it on a budget, or you can do it at a premium, with options in-between.

You can find cheaper winter holidays in the Alps and you can find more expensive. You can get caught paying much more then you expected to if you are unlucky, anywhere. You can get caught at any resort if you don't check the prices at some of the restaurants and bars beforehand.

More useful advice to the OP than writing-off an entire country would be to say that in the last two seasons, a lot of people have got caught out booking cheap flights first, only to find the cost of car rental or transfer to their chosen destination is a big shock. Or that their flight times don't coincide with cheaper transfer schedules. Or that another destination accessible by public transport would have worked out cheaper overall. Or that equipment rental is pricey. And so on. So it's a good idea to cost out all the holiday elements up in parallel first, before booking those flights.
snow conditions
@LaForet, wise words
My DIY trip this week ticked a lot of value boxes, but when considering resort options I toyed with the Aosta Valley ex GVA until I saw the price of the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
ski holidays
I agree with @LaForet, that it is wrong to assume that Switzerland is always more expensive than elsewhere. For quite a few years it was cheaper for us to ski in Sass Fee than many places in France because we have a lot of kids and they had a generous free ski pass for kids policy (despite having one of the most expensive adult passes). That policy changed but on a like for like basis I still don't find it more expensive. The key point being like for like.

Added to that, budget was not one of the criteria mentioned by the OP. There are plenty of places in Switzerland that are a relatively quick and easy transfer from GVA. Seems odd to discount all of them. As others have said Italy is also an option, although I accept the Mont Blanc tunnel can be a bit of a gamble!
ski holidays
For whatever reason the OP gave criteriea which can be fulfilled within their list easily.

There's nothing wrong with any country to ski in, but in this case the question is just about France, surely it's up to no-one else to impose anything in contradiction.

Agree that looking at a trip holistically is perfectly valid, will change based on circumstances like paying for a family or single etc, etc to put something interesting together. But here they've stated France, in which there are choices aplenty grouped close to Geneva and fitting the remit.

Can't they have their choice discussed ? There's nothing wrong with it Very Happy
snow conditions
@leeboy, Morzine based on your description sounds like it ticks the most of those boxes.
ski holidays
Wow

Thank you to those offering advice on my request, I will look into the resort’s recommended.

Also, No assumptions were made, we priced up Swiss skiing and unfortunately I’m not a lottery winner so ruled that out, it was much more expensive and out of our price range, some serious Swiss love in here!!!!
Cliche???? No, facts, at least for us.

If you can afford to Swiss ski, good luck to you….
latest report
No need to choose now , it’s March next year there will be plenty of flights and hotels to choose from, look where the snow is good nearer the time , why Geneva , might be an idea to look at Turin also . Car hire is cheaper and there are many resorts under two away to choose from . A friend of mine arranged a weekday trip to La Thuille 7 days before departure at a very reasonable rate last week , equally last week you could also pick up sensible Mon/Fri returns to Geneva for under £70 from Luton .
ski holidays
@leeboy, you're a bit unspecific.

Shortish transfer - how long is tolerable? Assuming you are talking 60-90 min you've got Morzine/Porte du Soleil, Flaine/Grand Massif, Chamonix Valley, St Gervais/Megeve/Evasion Mont Blanc, Aravis resorts (La Clusaz, Grand Bornand etc), Les Saisies/Espace Diamant around that limit.

Good apres ski - what sort of thing? If you are looking for Dutchmen dancing on the tables to cheesy pop in their ski boots, you might be disappointed. Everywhere has perfectly pleasant bars though. If you want nice restaurants, you are probably best going for one of the resorts that are not on the tour operator lists.

Large ski area - how large? And all lift connected? Porte du Soleil is on paper the biggest, but in practice the headline number includes the Les Gets-Pleney area (needs a bus across Morzine to access from the rest) as well as several smaller disconnected areas. The Chamonix Valley is really a collection of smaller areas on the same lift pass (and Les Houches which irritatingly has its own lift pass) needing bus or train connections. Evasion Mont Blanc has a reasonable sized central area which is lift-connected but the lift pass includes other areas that need buses. If you think 200 km lift-connected will do you then Porte du Soleil, Grand Massif, Evasion Mont Blanc and Espace Diamant (just) are possibilities, but if you are prepared to travel to different areas within the same region there are more options.

If you look at all these and narrow your choice to one or two candidates, there are plenty of people here with good local knowledge to answer questions.
snow report
Request for resort recommendations are often something of a Q&A because the OP either doesn't mention a lot of criteria or isn't certain about them. So that's why SnowHeads often reply with suggestions outside the criteria set initially. Someone may be saying France because they are comfortable with the language, not realising that the Swiss Vaud and Valais are also French-speaking. Or they may say France because they've skiied France exclusively, and feel they have a measure of which resorts do and don't suit. So it's always useful to know why a specific country or region is specified, and what the budget is, and all the other things mentioned, if possible. No transfer from GVA is short, really, so it's a matter of degree and a specific 'no more than x in a car' would help a lot. Similarly, are you carrying your own kit or renting in the resort? If the latter then you might be much more inclined to get the train if it's cheaper or you like the idea of not going through the rental circus. Do you have constraints about the flight time (e.g. flying out in the late afternoon after work) or can you be completely flexible? Are there resorts you've already skied in France which you particularly liked or disliked? Etc. The more we know, the more relevant the advice will be, and the forum is exceptionally good at providing advice about specific resorts.

And re. Switzerland the only thing that I would concede is definitely disproportionately more expensive is instruction. For various reasons, it's very pricey. But you can as easily price Courcheval 1850 so expensively that if you took that as the measure, you'd be discounting France, based on an unrepresentative case.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 20-03-23 10:54; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@leeboy, …don’t rule out CH….

Hire car from Geneva - swiss side will be fully winterised
Quick drive - 2,5 hours to excellent Valais results
Air B&B in Vercorin, Chandolin or any small village resort in Val D’Anniviers or Val D’Rechy - cheap
Food on the hill about the same or less than 3 Valleys
Hidden gems
Around 58gbp for a day pass
latest report
When in March? France best avoided before the end of the French school holidays on 10 March.
ski holidays
j b wrote:
@leeboy,.Good apres ski - what sort of thing? If you are looking for Dutchmen dancing on the tables to cheesy pop in their ski boots, you might be disappointed. Everywhere has perfectly pleasant bars though. If you want nice restaurants, you are probably best going for one of the resorts that are not on the tour operator lists

We had that, the dancing Dutchmen Very Happy quite a Dutch following in Flaine with a NL centric bar too in Forèt level of village.

We had a memorable liquor infused evening with such, also a Dutch lady that was cracking walnuts with her bare hands, still don't know where the walnuts came from for this party trick Laughing
snow report
leeboy wrote:

Also, No assumptions were made, we priced up Swiss skiing and unfortunately I’m not a lottery winner so ruled that out, it was much more expensive and out of our price range, some serious Swiss love in here!!!!

We're constantly comparing our prices to what's available over in Châtel as well as in the village here (Morgins, less than 5knm From Châtel) and although there are cheaper places available on a pound per bed basis, once you try to find a more like-for-like comparison the prices are really around the same.

It very much is a cliché to suggest that you need to be some sort of millionaire to ski here, but it's probably true to say that the really cheap bargain-basement accommodation sometimes found in France is not generally available here - most Swiss people have higher standards and would not consider the tiny 70s-built apartments that predominate in Avoriaz, for example.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 20-03-23 11:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

a Dutch lady that was cracking walnuts with her bare hands

That's not difficult if you have two walnuts. Cracking one walnut with bare hands more impressive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski3, we have met dancing Dutchmen in France, I recall a pop version of Verdi's "Va Pensero" which they all sang along to. But I associate it more with Austria.

I think cracking walnuts is all about the technique, I remember my brother-in-law doing it as a party trick many years (decades!) ago. If I had any walnuts to hand I would see if I can recall how it was done and enlighten everyone.
snow report
You need two, and squeeze them together. We all used to do it, not as a party trick, but when sitting round the Christmas table with a bowl of nuts and fighting over the only nutcrackers. Cracking Brazil nuts with bare hands would be a much more impressive trick.

As for "apres ski", it means absolutely nothing. It's like when people say they want somewhere which is good for "non skiers". Puzzled
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
You need two, and squeeze them together. We all used to do it, not as a party trick, but when sitting round the Christmas table with a bowl of nuts and fighting over the only nutcrackers. Cracking Brazil nuts with bare hands would be a much more impressive trick.

As for "apres ski", it means absolutely nothing. It's like when people say they want somewhere which is good for "non skiers". Puzzled

Non skiers?
Who mentioned that? I asked for apres ski due to reasons stated in my original post.

Thank you for to all the ones who helped and offered advice, it is appreciated.

Think I’ll move along now.
Unfortunately, it seems this form isn’t as helpful as it used to be years ago.

Nice one nice Eh oh!
ski holidays
In mentioning non-skiers I was responding to the reasonable point by @LaForet that people who ask "what resort" questions are often rather vague about their requirements. The chat about cracking nuts is just typical Snowheads thread drift. And if you make a blanket assertion, like Switzerland is only for lottery winners, you can expect some push-back.

You said you wanted "apres ski" because first holiday without kids, but not what you want to do apres. I doubt if there's a resort in the Alps which doesn't offer you some possibilities. One man's idea of apres ski is another man's idea of hell. What do you want to do? My ideal would be to go back to a comfy apartment and sit in my base layers with at least two large mugs of tea, then have a shower and an "apéro" before going out for a quiet drink in an attractive bar with any background music down at a level which permits conversation followed by romantic dinner in a restaurant. Others enjoy a few hours in a noisy piste-side bar, getting pissed with their boots on in an atmosphere so noisy you can't even talk to your partner, and staggering back to a hotel where someone will give them dinner without them having to think about it.

ski holidays
Was it the walnuts @leeboy, Laughing

Everyone Shocked knows the right answer is Chamonix, jump onto the train easy, or usually busses going that way too. Epic scenery, many different aspect to ski, great atmosphere, very very good variety of evening places in town, everything you could need for a free-n-easy 4/5 day getaway. Dont even have to travel far to participate.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Chamonix a good shout, but not in French school holidays. More flexibility on non-standard week's accommodation than many French resorts.
latest report
So has @leeboy, flounceoed off then? Some people ...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
So has @leeboy, flounceoed off then? Some people ...

Nope
Just sat laughing at the pathetic Swiss millionaire love in

Please, carry on, I’m all booked.
snow conditions
This morning I was skiing just like a Swiss millionaire, in Switzerland on a near empty mountain.
We were skiing some delightful cold powder putting down fresh lines to our hearts content.
I am not and never will be a Millionaire, I just know where to find millionaire conditions.
Have a fabulous time in France.
snow report
Should have confessed@leeboy, I am from Chester.
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:

I am not and never will be a Millionaire

Because you ski in Switzerland wink
ski holidays
@leeboy You say you’re booked now, so out of interest where did you decide on? It’s always nice to get feedback. Whatever you may think about Helvetiphiles, most of the advice is given in a genuine spirit of trying to help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy