Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to Obergurgl from Stuttgart airport

Poster: A snowHead
As per title. how much of a pain is it to get from Stuttgart to Obergurgl? Is it a total pain? Flights to munich, innsbruck and zurich from london are so expensive (forced to go in school holidays) so am considering flying to Stuttgart and either renting a car or trying the train - has anybody done this?
many thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lalalalala73, Hi and welcome snowHead

I'll admit that it's not a route I've done, but I don't think there's a particularly easy option. Stuttgart is a fair way north, so you'd be looking at a 4+ hour drive (probably longer with kids and during the holidays), or about 8 hours on a train/bus with 4 transfers Shocked

Have you looked at Friedrichschafen airport? That's quite a bit closer. Or maybe using a different airport in the UK to give you better flight options? Innsbruck would be my preference, as it is considerably closer than the others, and public transport to Obergurgl should be fairly easy once you land.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I live near this airport.
With a rent-car you need aprox. 4 hours. Done it some times either till sölden or gurgl
A problem could be the fern pass bit if you will gp outside school holidays will be not so bad.
Otherwise you can avoid fernpass and use the alrberg Tunnel
Bit it is extra 10 Euro.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lalalalala73, Obergurgl is right at the end of a long valley, not the easiest place to get to. Innsbruck is most definitely the best option, the other airports involve considerable travelling . The only practical option from Stuttgart is driving, it is a long drive especially on a peak holiday weekend (look out for north German & Dutch holiday dates). I would not have thought there are many flights from the UK? It is not the biggest airport. It might be as easy to fly into Salzburg from where the train might work. There are direct trains to Ötztal Bahnhof from where there are connecting buses but it is a fair trek.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for the replies. Flights to stuttgart are £1k compared to direct flights to innsbruck which are £3.5k and munich / salzberg / zurich around £2.5k for the 4 of us. Even indirect flights to innsbruck or charter flights ( which i worry will cancel) are over £2k. prices are crazy

so even with a night in stuttgart each way to break the journey and a rental car - it is still alot more affordable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does o'Leary's lot still fly to Memmingen?
Probably a similar distance to Friedrichshafen, but much closer than Stuttgart.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@lalalalala73, if you are willing to contemplate a long drive, and there are 4 of you, driving all the way would almost certainly be the cheapest option. And/or reconsider choice of resort?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where are you starting from? There are/will be new routes on the overnight train https://www.nightjet.com/en/ that will stop in Innsbruck. Maybe that could work for you – you would have to co-ordinate the Eurostar to Amsterdam(?), but it should then be straightforward.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Assuming you are travelling 10th Feb, You can fly Lufthansa Gatwick to Innsbruck via Frankfurt for £1200 base, or with slightly better flight times for £100 more. If you've not been there, Frankfurt is quite a nice airport with decent food options.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just driven over the Fern Pass, everything looks closed in the way of cafes etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Obergurgl at the minute and if the temps don't drop soon I wouldn't bother. We have slush by midday even at Mid mountain levels. Only the top mountain pistes both here and in Hochgurgl are nice post noon.

We've been coming this week for a few years now and I think next year we'll probably aim for 1st week of March instead.

Getting plenty of time to perfect my soft bumps technique and get the tan started though Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ol_smokey wrote:
In Obergurgl at the minute and if the temps don't drop soon I wouldn't bother. We have slush by midday even at Mid mountain levels. Only the top mountain pistes both here and in Hochgurgl are nice post noon.

We've been coming this week for a few years now and I think next year we'll probably aim for 1st week of March instead.

Getting plenty of time to perfect my soft bumps technique and get the tan started though Cool

Went to Obergurgl in April last year and was a lot luckier - even Solden was OK in the afternoon above mid mountain
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lalalalala73 wrote:
Thank you for the replies. Flights to stuttgart are £1k compared to direct flights to innsbruck which are £3.5k and munich / salzberg / zurich around £2.5k for the 4 of us. Even indirect flights to innsbruck or charter flights ( which i worry will cancel) are over £2k. prices are crazy

so even with a night in stuttgart each way to break the journey and a rental car - it is still a lot more affordable.

If those are the sort of costs then it must be about the same to drive the entire way even taking into account a stop on the way, you would have to buy winter or suitable all season tyres but I cant believe that is much more than a hire car for the week. Driving from Stuttgart on a holiday Saturday is going to be slow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The airport is ca 15 km south from the City
You will not have to worry about the City traffic but for the Highway traffic . Which day time ar the flights
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you everyone. options seem to be drive from the UK or change our plans/destination

We are now looking at going to Obergurgl over Xmas instead and forgetting about Feb half term.

We have never done a ski holiday in December before. so looks like some new research for me about skiing that time of year instead Smile

thank you for all the advice
latest report
lalalalala73 wrote:
Thank you everyone. options seem to be drive from the UK or change our plans/destination

We are now looking at going to Obergurgl over Xmas instead and forgetting about Feb half term.

We have never done a ski holiday in December before. so looks like some new research for me about skiing that time of year instead Smile

thank you for all the advice

Obergurgl would be one of the best places to go in December. I’ve been a couple of times in January. Can be cold… the shared lift pass with Solden gives you some slightly lower slopes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy