Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SORTED - transfer GVA to Les Arcs needed this evening...

Poster: A snowHead
Long shot I know (!), but son#2 and friends were transferred from Gatwick to Heathrow earlier and will be too late for booked transfer GVA to Les Arcs. They're due in GVA at 18.40 so need transfer to Les Arcs sometime after that. Anyone happen to know of any transfer with spare capacity - 3 people, 3 large cases, 2 ski bags. I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 19-03-23 17:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@billb, have you tried BensBus ? They have transfers to Bourg SM.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Matrix, thanks but just tried and they're fully booked.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BlaBlaCar?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ski lots, thanks, have looked and no rides showing for today.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How frustrating, trying to help them at this distance. Have you encouraged to ask around - must be some tour operators coaches? They've obviously tried the usual Altibus connections. It's probably a silly suggestion but if all else fails, one of them could maybe dash through to the French side and ask there - busses call in there too, or used to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last-minute car hire seems pretty cheap right now (assuming at least one of them is over 25).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought that - but they're unlikely to have driving licences with them, not being hardened travellers. I'd never go anywhere without mine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try the 1st lifts tarantaise transfers facebook page, should be someone able to help there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Worst comes to the worst they can get a cheap hotel overnight at the airport and get the train tomorrow morning and then the funicular up to Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, @ShakiraShakira, thanks, they'd tried one or two transfer companies from Heathrow before flight but nothing definite. I've had a look through transfer companies but it's all email enquiries at this late stage. One or two of them may have licence with them so I'll suggest car hire (although they'd lose return paid for transfer - they were transferred to Heathrow at short notice so not much time to re-arrange which is why I asked here in case someone there happened to have transfer capacity. They're due to land now so will send car hire suggestion - probably best bet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kramer, yes, I've thought that too. They might have to.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope things look up for them after this poor start to their trip
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alasdair.graham, thanks will tell them - they've just landed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, thanks.
snow conditions
Taxi
Claim cost back from airline along with cost of lost transfer due to airport change otherwise they lose a day in resort
ski holidays
@billb, I would also suggest they just ask the transfer reps at the airport (Crystal etc.) once they arrive - anything going to BSM, Les Arcs, Val d'Isere, Tignes, Ste-Foy or La Plagne should be close enough (maybe requiring a short taxi at the end). It may be possible to do an informal "deal" - that has certainly been a successful tactic here on snowheads before.
ski holidays
@snowornever, @denfinella, have suggested both options to them - they've just landed. They're all smart enough so I'm sure will sort something out. Not on a package hence have lost their pre-arranged transfer. Always a risk I guess.
latest report
@billb, Not sure if they are sorted now, but Bens Bus have space to Bourg St Maurice on a coach leaving GVA at 2220
snow report
@muppet, thanks for that, they're going to get an Uber and claim for it. Their skis didn't arrive with them so they have to wait for the next plane. Not BA's finest hour! Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Will post when they get to resort (could be early hours so will post tomorrow). Time for wine methinks....
snow report
Good call, hopefully its simple and the skis also arrive at a reasonable hour.
ski holidays
Well they made it via Uber eventually! Skis arrived on next plane.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not familiar with GVA as normally drive to French Alps,
ski holidays
There has been some well reported court cases recently where passengers have had to apply to the county court to recover their exceptional expenses from airlines due to cancellations and delays. I liked the one where the ballifs went to Luton airport to recover money or goods for a passenger from whizz. It took us 6 months to get our legally entitled 250 euros per passenger from Lufthansa for delayed flight. They kept offering half the amount until I mentioned “i will be taking advice”

Keep all receipts and claim off the airline. I’m not sure if the 250 euro per passenger law applies for flights from the uk not to the eu
snow report
The cost of a taxi from Geneva to Les Arcs must have been exciting.
snow conditions
@achilles, indeed, he hasn't told me yet but hopefully will be reimbursed in the fullness of time. We had a BA cancellation Lisbon to Heathrow some years ago and were well looked after by BA. Taxi to 5 star Hotel, meals included, picked up by taxi next day to airport then TAP flight to Madrid and Iberia to Heathrow. All covered by BA. Luggage chaos at Heathrow as it was terrorist event that caused the problem. Eventually got all luggage back, one item was couriered to our house couple of weeks later. But times have changed maybe and BA perhaps not so forthcoming. Perhaps I'll stick to driving where skis are involved and potentially lost transfers.
ski holidays
@billb, I have to confess if I had to catch a flight from Gatwick I’d just keep driving. The rest of the journey is easy.

Let us know when ba deliver the skis¿
ski holidays
@billb, on the 11th March BA was 2 hours 55 mins late taking off from Lyon, then kept us passengers 45 minutes in the aircraft at Heathrow, After that luggage took an astonishing time to arrive at the carousel, followed by further delay until the skis arrived. All due to the French ATC strike and consequent 'shortage of resources' at Heathrow. Just made the 8.30pm train out of Kings Cross. Home about 11pm. Had been expecting to arrive around 5 hours earlier. A bit fraught.
snow report
@achilles, I'm not sure when the 3 hours time limit is actually measured from, whether it is when the plane touches the ground or the doors open. I suspect the later. In which case you are entitled to your 250€ per passenger compensation. Lyon is in the EU so EU law applies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, its when at least one door is opened. Compensation will be paid in £. Air traffic control strikes are extraordinary circumstances not in the airlines control, so in this case no compensation
snow report
My GVA to LGW flight got cancelled yesterday, they did rebook me onto a much later flight to heathrow with the result being I had to pay £150 for a taxi to get back home, can I claim that back then? Sorry for hijacking the thread, glad your son and his friends made it to Les Arcs
snow conditions
@johnE, Airportia shows 1625 tqke off instead of 1330 and a landing time of 16:28 and thus a delay of 2hours 28 min ... so that's all right then. Except that, from a whatsapp message I sent home, I see I was still on the plane at 17:18 - so over 3hours . Not sure when I finally was off plane.

It strikes me that BA manipulated the situation to avoid handling comapensation claims.

In fairness to BA, I think the circumstances were beyond the airline's control (air traffic strike and services shortage at Heathrow ... no pier or busses immediatley available) and I did not lose financially. However, since I had to be off on the Picadilly line as soon as possible, and all services were cancelled on the train home, I was a tad hungry by the time I got home!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 19-03-23 15:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, I was aware that they pay the compensation in £ (at their exchange rate) and insist on paying it into a UK bank. It seems a daft restriction to me as my extra expenses due to the delay were in euros. I wasn't sure where ATC fitted into this
latest report
@Minion1980, yes you can claim for expenses and also compensation for the fact that they cancelled your flight.
some airlines make it easier than others to find the section of website to submit claims....
snow report
@billb, Any chance of changing the title to avoid people unnecessarily trying to sort things? Glad they are now on holiday!

(You can do this by editing your first post).
latest report
@chocksaway, Now edited. Out and about a bit today!

@johnE, they waited for the skis to arrive last night (which they did) which made them even later. All ok now. They've made contact with snow today snowHead
ski holidays
@snowornever, thanks, I've raised a complaint, all I'm asking for is the refund of the taxi so we shall see.
latest report
How much was the uber?
ski holidays
@alasdair.graham, 450 euros between three. Say 400 quid.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy