Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working as a resort rep

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend and i are considering applying to tour operators for jobs as resort reps, we don't have any prior experience and would just like some general info from anyone who has, i've looked on the obvious sites such as natives but was wondering if any snowheads could help. Things we'd like to know are:

How many hours are worked
How much skiing you can do away from the job
The amount of pressure involved

Thanks. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WaistDeepInPow, my knowledge is only second hand, from talking to reps and the various telly programs about ski resort reps (if you haven't seen any of these programs, get a copy and watch them - essential viewing).
My (pretty wooly) impression:
1. Lots of pressure and lots of hours.
2. Very difficult to get balance of mad social life (with lots of booze) and working life right
3. Will strain your relationship with girlfriend to the limit - if you survive repping together, you will survive anything together (even marriage, a test I failed).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Waist Deep, a lot depends on who you work for, my son worked for Ski Olympic as a ski guide and loved it, really good company, quite small but but very friendly. My daughter and her boyfriend worked for Mark Warner who were very different. From talking to the seasonaires we meet in our village, the general view is the bigger the company the more likely you will be overworked. This is hearsay but the Ski Espirit staff were sayiing that 70+hr weeks were not unusual.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am not sure what you mean by reps - they are different things in different companies. Some call all their workers in resort reps - others only call the managers reps. This answer treats reps as the resort managers because that is what they were in the company I worked for:

Things vary a lot between companies - some work loads, others get of time to ski. As a rule most work an enormous amount with a lot of 5am starts and late nights. The reps for company I worked for got to ski very rarely (whereas I skied every day) and ended up making a lot less money (as they were nver tipped by clients). Choosing the right comapny is a bit hit and miss - the higher end ones will often expect higher standards but the lower end ones will stretch you more widely. Lose - lose situation really.

A reasonable guide to the job (though a bit rosy about it) is this, written by someone at the company I worked for. This person overstates the amount she could ski - I know she barely skied. Also, given the compensation culture that is growing you are likely to have to do an enormous amount of paperwork (eg risk assesments of hazards in every restaurant in the resort and on the mountain - seriously, I've seen it done) - covering your employer should someone try to sue them.

Personally I think you can do better as a host/chalet worker although there are fewer and fewer of those jobs because chalet holidays are a shrinking business. The responsibilities are different but you will have more time to ski and (if you are good at the job) will earn a lot more money. The rep's job certainly looks better on a CV though, especially if you want to get involved in hospitality/hotel management afterwards.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It all depends on which company you work for, which resort you go for and how many reps are in your team. Work can vary from average of 1/2 hour / day to 20 hours. Have done the 20 hour thing and can advise it was hard work! If its your 1st season as a rep then you may as well just apply to all the companies and see what comes up, then pick the resort you want if there is a choice. Typically those working for smaller companies do a bit less work and have less corporate ***p to deal with, they are also harder to get normally. Big companies will not normally tell you where you are going in your 1st season, Inghams are an exception to this. Crystal look favourably on couples so would consider applying to them.
Have fun and just see what you get offered!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I repp’ed for a small company, and was their only employee in resort (nearest employees were several hours drive away!). That meant less cr*p than other reps had, but total responsibility for all aspects of the clients holiday.

Transfer day was v long .. usually 8 am till midnight. And then the next day was first day of ski school etc and was generally spent troubleshooting all the complaints you would get after their first night !! So Sat and Sun were long, tiring days.

Then I had visits 4 evenings, for 2 hours each evening. And I also had après ski organised for about 4 evenings in the week. I didn’t have morning visits, so first scheduled work was 6 in the evening, until after midnight.

But you will have to deal with problems, such as injuries, thefts, unhappy clients (complaints ranged from the weather being too cold, no ‘topless’ bars to not enough totty in the resort .. you name it, they’ll complain !!). And you’ll have to do accounts, and organise ski packs/après for next weeks guests.

So most days you would have to spend an hour or so working during the day, but rest of day is yours to ski, and then working from 6 to midnight. I skied Mon – Fri for 4 or 5 hours each day … could have done more … but I got in plenty of partying too !!

Anyway, don’t worry too much about it .. you’ll have a ball no matter where you go ! Definitely among the best 4 months of my life !! And although the pay is cr*p … I never had less money worries in my life … all your accommodation and bills are paid for … sweet talk the bar – staff / customers and you will have a lot of drink flowing your way … so only food to worry about !!

Even during the long days, I still have a laugh with other workers in resort/airport … all in all … a brilliant way to spend 4 months.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, i think we're going to apply to a few of the smaller operators and see what happens. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sonya, welcome to snowHeads. I got the impression there was a fair drop-out rate for reps: guys/girls who could not hack it. I would have loved to do what you did, but I am sure I would have been a disaster. Do you have any advice on what sort of personality you need?
(I know you can't get personality from Sainsburys, but it might warn the unsuitable to try something else)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Jonpim. There does seem to be a lot of talk of drop-outs .. but during my season, I only heard of a couple (and they weren't reps).

There were all sorts of personalities, so wouldn't say one type is best suited. Although its a very 'people' job ... so it helps if you like meeting new people and you enjoy chatting with all sorts. Its definitely not a job for a total introvert ... but you don't have to be the other extreme either ... most of the reps weren't like what you see on "Club Reps" !!

I would recommend it to anyone who loves skiing / boarding .... and if you like to party too, then you'll really have a blast !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy