Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pilot sentenced over Soelden cablecar accident

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heard this on the news this morning, the pilot flying the helicopter which dropped a concrete block on the cablecar at Soelden has been sentenced. He has been sentenced to a 15 month suspended sentence.

Report here on BBC News.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At least he was sentenced, unlike the american pilot who flew into the italian cable car. I don't think he got any criminal charges at all (might be wrong though).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I don't think he got any criminal charges at all (might be wrong though).

No, I don't think he did either. It was a military plane and it appears that the US president sorted it all out behind the scenes with his NATO ally and good friend, the crook running Italy.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually to be fair to the crook running Italy the US military smuggled the crew of that aircraft back to the US whilst the Italiens were baying for Blood, as I recall they were given a dishonerable discharge, they should have stood trial in Italy but the US doesn't like to see its citizens charged abroad.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
At least he was sentenced, unlike the american pilot who flew into the italian cable car. I don't think he got any criminal charges at all (might be wrong though).

IIRC he was out of Italy within 2 hours or so of the incident!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If Italy's such a good friend to the US - shame the US couldn't honour the friendship (not a surprise though). Dishonourable Discharge doesn't sound enough to me for killing 13 people because you're playing with a dangerous toy!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AFAIK it's standard practice when the US has miltary service personnel based in a foreign country, that they reach an agreement with the host country that any servicemen involved in criminal offences committed in the host country are dealt with under the US military legal system. The same system operated in WWII for US servicemen stationed in the UK - several serviceman were executed by the US military for offences like rape (including one case where an African-American soldier was charged with rape- when in fact his real crime in the eyes of the authorities had been having an affair with a married white British woman).

The concept of military personnel being dealt with by their own miltary legal system seems fair enough (I believe UK servicemen abroad are also normally dealt with by UK court martials) - provided the punishments are seen to be appropriate - which in the case of the crew responsible for the Italian cable car tragedy clearly was not the case Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:

I recall this incident well. It was at Cavalese, in the Dolomites. I was in the adjacent resort of Madonna di Campiglio at that time at the brginning of February 1998.

Interestingly the pilot got a prison sentence of six months, not for the accident, but for suppressing a video of the incident.

Link cavalese cablecar accident

Ironically, I remember someone saying at that time, that there was another cablecar(?) accident near the same area many years before.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hoppo wrote:
Heard this on the news this morning, the pilot flying the helicopter which dropped a concrete block on the cablecar at Soelden has been sentenced. He has been sentenced to a 15 month suspended sentence.

Report here on BBC News.

Thank you for those sentences, Hoppo.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, Agree absolutely. There was also the case of a certain "tourist" in charge of a submarine ........
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
Alastair Pink, Agree absolutely. There was also the case of a certain "tourist" in charge of a submarine ........

I take it you are referring to the accidental sinking of the Ehime Maru Skullie
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Hoppo wrote:

Report here on BBC News.

Thank you for those sentences, Hoppo.

David,

You may also wish to know that the St Anton Ski Instructor who was leading the Canadian group that were hit by an avalanche Jan 2005 on the back side of Rendl (triggered by an American border if I remember rightly) was also recently sentenced. There was a small clipping in the paper that said he had received a 6 month suspended sentence.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy