Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacement Lens Support

Poster: A snowHead
Seething right now as I have, for the second time, fallen foul of a manufacturer's failure to continue to support their previous lens systems.

First it was Anon with the original M1 goggles. Attempting to buy replacement lenses only 3 years after buying the googles I was told that they were no longer available. I was furious but not really able to do much about it so had to buy new goggles.

I figured that Oakley would not do the same to me so I bought the Airbrake XL model with switchable lenses. I've had them for five years now but, on trying to find replacement lenses for them I've just been told by Oakley that they no longer make them and they have no further stock available to send out.

Whilst I'm fully cognisant that this is a first world problem it's also an environmental issue too. Surely the whole point of replaceable lenses is so that the goggles don't have to become waste as soon as you pick up a few scratches ?

I don't know if I'm alone in this but I am tempted, in the light of the new EU regulations regarding ability to repair electronic items, to write to the commission and suggest that they also look at this with, perhaps, a recommendation that manufacturers be required to support any item produced with replaceable parts with a supply of such parts for a minimum period of ten years. Am I just reacting unreasonably ? I seek the wisdom of Snowheads ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good tip - buy a couple of spares when you get the goggles and they are a current model.

Surely manufacturers being forced to make more stuff they might never sell is even more unsound from a tree hugging perspective.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As frustrating as it is when kit you like goes out of production, the Airbrake XL have been going since about 2015, and discontinued in 2021, so stock of replacement lenses will have run down by now. Had the same issue with some Smith goggles for the wife a few years back, managed to find a back corner store of the interwebs selling off some remainder stock an snagged a spare lens, plus an extra which kept them in service for another few years. Hunt around and you'll probably find someone somewhere with some stock.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hang11 wrote:
Good tip - buy a couple of spares when you get the goggles and they are a current model.

prob work out more expensive than buying a new googles after a few years use?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hang11 wrote:

I thought that, and acquired an additional bright lens for my Oakley Flight Decks not long after I purchased them. The original lens is a bit scratched now, so I pulled the spare out to have a look. Unfortunately, the glue that is around the edge has deteriorated and smeared all over the centre of the inner lens (they were stored in a goggle case inside the white cloth Oakley bag). It will be an absolute pain to clean it off without damaging the lens Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jeez, first world problems indeed. I don't think it's anything worth "seething" about or writing to the EU Commission! These companies operate a product development model - they continually develop their products to attract / retain market share. Next you'll be complaining that your iPhone 1 is no longer supported.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I recently lost my Oakley Flight Deck Sapphire Iridium lenses and needed to buy another one.
At Oakley's website there's only 1 lens for this model: Sage Gold Iridium.
After googling a bit it was quite difficult to find one... quite e a few options with frame, but the lenses alone it was tricky to find. When I bought the first one 2 years ago they were everywhere.

I have the feeling they will discontinue that soon Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dashed wrote:
Jeez, first world problems indeed. I don't think it's anything worth "seething" about or writing to the EU Commission! These companies operate a product development model - they continually develop their products to attract / retain market share. Next you'll be complaining that your iPhone 1 is no longer supported.

I'm not asking for it to be 'supported' but, just as with electronics under the 2021 legislation, that they make spares. If you recall, it was nigh on impossible to replace a battery in an iPhone in the past ... that's built in obsolescence and it's being addressed by legislation.

Yes, companies continually develop products BUT I don't think it's unreasonable to mandate that they not purposely engineer obsolescence. I do think that they should commit to a reasonable period (say ten years) during which spares will be available.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hang11 wrote:

Surely manufacturers being forced to make more stuff they might never sell is even more unsound from a tree hugging perspective.

I'm pretty sure that they have a good idea of how many spares they need to make; there's probably a known ratio between number of goggles sold and replacement lenses required over a given period of time.

And, yes, you're right about the spares ... and I already did that. I've run out of both the originals and the spares !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blackblade wrote:

Yes, companies continually develop products BUT I don't think it's unreasonable to mandate that they not purposely engineer obsolescence. I do think that they should commit to a reasonable period (say ten years) during which spares will be available.

So how's that going to work then?? Who's going to pay for it? Oakley and the like won't swallow the cost, so they'll pass it on to the consumer when they first purchase the product. Not on the spares they may or may not sell at some point over the next 10 years. Forecasting demand 10 years out will be nigh on impossible and will end up with loads of unused products which they have to store and then dispose of after 10 years. It's a nonsense concept for consumer goods like this. If you think it's so important then do as others have suggested and buy multiple lens when you buy the googles. It'll work out cheaper for you than an option of mandating organisations make available spares for 10 years on stuff like this.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In good news you can get the Oakley Airbrake XL replacement lens from loads of suppliers so not a huge issue really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buy your goggles when they are on sale/ Sport Pursuit etc. Choose a model that comes with a spare lens. Buy 2 sets so you can go full Trigger's Broom with them spare frames and multiple spare lenses.

Full disclosure I have way too many goggles.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Surely the whole point of replaceable lenses is so that the goggles don't have to become waste as soon as you pick up a few scratches ?

Part of the reason is so you can have different lenses for different situations, without needing multiple pairs of goggles.

It's relatively easy to avoid scratching lenses (possibly unless you do a lot of bushwhacking). Either use some form of protection (goggle socks or similar), or just don't leave them lying around. My goggles go inside my helmet as soon as I take it off, so there is very little risk of scratching.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Blackblade, I suspect that it would be difficult to build an argument around a product that most consumers use for one week a year and bin after only a few ...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, @Blackblade, equally, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some attempt by manufacturers (whether incumbent or startup) to design with circularity in mind rather more than at present. There’s a lot of consumer, investor, and regulator interest in these areas now.
ski holidays
From the title, I was expecting to be able to provide some insight (pun intended!) into cataract surgery. But, no… Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Oakley hi pink will lighten things up
snow report
Legend. wrote:
In good news you can get the Oakley Airbrake XL replacement lens from loads of suppliers so not a huge issue really.

If you have any that you know of I'd be grateful. I've tried all the usual suppliers and none of them have any supply.
snow report
@Inboard, well, you might think so, but I'm not seeing any ...
ski holidays
@Blackblade

https://www.skistore.se/skidutrustning/goggles/extralinser/oakley-airbrake-xl-repl-lens-prizm-torch
https://www.skistore.se/skidutrustning/goggles/extralinser/oakley-airbrake-xl-repl-lens-prizm-jade

I've not had a massive look but this shop which is around the corner from me has them
snow conditions
I managed to find some in Berdoz Optics in Zermatt. Slightly hesitant to broadcast in case I need more but ...
latest report
@Legend Thank you. Managed to find some.
snow report
@Blackblade, fab
snow conditions
@Blackblade, share your frustration, I have a pair of Oakley flight deck from 2014 and the foam has gone and need to buy a new frame which you can't (checked with Oakley), so I have two lenses (rose and jade) but no frame, looks like I will have to buy the frame and probably go with the high pink lens, Oakley have given me a discount voucher. Though I am buying something I don't really need.
latest report
radar wrote:
@Blackblade, share your frustration, I have a pair of Oakley flight deck from 2014 and the foam has gone and need to buy a new frame which you can't (checked with Oakley), so I have two lenses (rose and jade) but no frame, looks like I will have to buy the frame and probably go with the high pink lens, Oakley have given me a discount voucher. Though I am buying something I don't really need.

The slight advantage you have is that you can regularly buy these goggles from sportspursuit.com and ifvyou buy one of the less popular lens/frame combos they're considerably cheaper than the posh coloured lenses.
latest report
@Roguevfr, good point, I’m an avid Sportspursuit buyer Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy