Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First week of April near Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Flights are booked for first week of April but I'm looking for self catered accommodation for four. I know I need to stay high but not sure where is looking best. I filter snow reports on Onthesnow then go round and round in circles. Would love not be sloshing around on the lower slopes. Any pointers? Thanks!

- Flachau (plenty of places)
- Zauchesee (had one booked but was a bit off the beaten track)
- Obertauern (not much if anything left but been there before and not great for self catered
- Saalback (read about slush on the lower slopes)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hit and miss that time of year but north facing with reasonably high mid stations would be my suggestion. Zauchensee probably best - you could always stay in altenmarkt and commute.

We once had a week staying in mauterndorf which is a lovely little town on the south side of the Tauern pass. You can get a lungo pass which included obertauern and 3 other nice quiet resorts. Fanningberg is great. I haven’t been in April.

https://www.lungo.at/en/ski-resorts/liftpanorama
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How far are you willing to drive/transfer? Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn glacier is about 2 hours, Zell am See also (but likely to be 'spring' on most runs?)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did Mayrhofen from Salzburg flights one year. Hired a car and drove over.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given the current weather outlook I would suggest best look at either Kaprun or Hintertux. Obertauern probably OK. Zauchensee often keeps snow longer than the rest of Ski Amade. Would give everywhere else a miss. You might be better looking at a valley town where you can drive to different places to have a holiday in the alps with some skiing rather than a "ski trip"
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

How far are you willing to drive/transfer? Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn glacier is about 2 hours, Zell am See also (but likely to be 'spring' on most runs?)

Wanting to keep it around an hour or so. Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Hit and miss that time of year but north facing with reasonably high mid stations would be my suggestion. Zauchensee probably best - you could always stay in altenmarkt and commute.

We once had a week staying in mauterndorf which is a lovely little town on the south side of the Tauern pass. You can get a lungo pass which included obertauern and 3 other nice quiet resorts. Fanningberg is great. I haven’t been in April.

https://www.lungo.at/en/ski-resorts/liftpanorama

Will have another look at Zauchensee - seemed good but the only place I found was at the other end of the lake and looked a bit of a hike. We might end up hiring a car anyway so maybe that would work. Do you know if there are ski lockers in the centre of Zauchensee (or near lifts at any rate)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

We did Mayrhofen from Salzburg flights one year. Hired a car and drove over.

Bit too far for us, I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Given the current weather outlook I would suggest best look at either Kaprun or Hintertux. Obertauern probably OK. Zauchensee often keeps snow longer than the rest of Ski Amade. Would give everywhere else a miss. You might be better looking at a valley town where you can drive to different places to have a holiday in the alps with some skiing rather than a "ski trip"

Will look into Kaprun and Hintertux. Are Wagrain and Flachau largely north facing and possibilities, you think?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right - so Kaprun and Hintertux are a bit of a trek
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schladming is mainly north facing I think
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obertauern, Katschberg or Zauchensee.
But dont book something right now. Except Zauchensee & Obertauern in the other places you could easilly find something a little bit later.
I wouldnt book eg Flachau right now. You could wait and book something 4-5 days before. This week althougt there are holidays this resorts will be not so full. You could find something last min.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Obertauern, Katschberg or Zauchensee.
But dont book something right now. Except Zauchensee & Obertauern in the other places you could easilly find something a little bit later.
I wouldnt book eg Flachau right now. You could wait and book something 4-5 days before. This week althougt there are holidays this resorts will be not so full. You could find something last min.

Thanks - looking at what is available, that does seem right. Not sure if that's because of limited self catering or because they're the best places at this time of year
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pignik wrote:
Right - so Kaprun and Hintertux are a bit of a trek

Kaprun is pretty easy to get to from Salzburg (train to Zell, there might even be a nearer station) but agree the Zillertal is a fair way. It does depend on what you want from your holiday. April is always late for most places near Salzburg and this year has not been ideal so there will be less choice than "normal". The best option could well be having a hire car which will allow you to move around a bit and make shopping easier if self catering.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pignik, there are lockers at the main lift station in Zauchensee (where the bus drops off).
snow report
Well Flachau Zauchensee area meets your somewhat restrictive 1 hrs drive criteria, but isnt particularly high for April skiing, so whilst there is north and east facing stuff, there is a high chance of soft slushy afternoons.

If you are willing to drive 1hr 20 mins then Kaprun is the obvious choice as you can ski up to 3000m on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier all week.
snow conditions
1H20 would be fine. Will look into Kaprun - thanks.
latest report
Quote:

there are lockers at the main lift station in Zauchensee (where the bus drops off).

Thanks!
latest report
Everywhere is going to be slushy in the afternoon on the lower slopes - with the exception of the glacier on Kitzsteinhorn, which while it is OK for a day trip or two is not somewhere I'd want to spend a whole week skiing.

90 minutes travel by car from Salzburg will get you to Saalbach or Zell am See. Staying in Zell gives you the option of Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn, Leogang and Saalbach Hinterglemm, as well as Zell itself, which are all on the same ticket. There is plenty of skiing above 1500m which will be in good condition until about 13.00 - the rule of spring skiing is to get up early, get the lifts between 08.00 and 09.00 and then ski through until a late lunch. Have a beer or two on a sunny terrace and then download from the mid-stations to avoid the slush.
snow conditions
Quote:

Everywhere is going to be slushy in the afternoon on the lower slopes - with the exception of the glacier on Kitzsteinhorn, which while it is OK for a day trip or two is not somewhere I'd want to spend a whole week skiing.

90 minutes travel by car from Salzburg will get you to Saalbach or Zell am See. Staying in Zell gives you the option of Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn, Leogang and Saalbach Hinterglemm, as well as Zell itself, which are all on the same ticket. There is plenty of skiing above 1500m which will be in good condition until about 13.00 - the rule of spring skiing is to get up early, get the lifts between 08.00 and 09.00 and then ski through until a late lunch. Have a beer or two on a sunny terrace and then download from the mid-stations to avoid the slush.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks
snow report
So Kaprun - looking at the piste map, am I right in thinking you can take three (?) bubbles and find pistes high up for all level of skiers?
ski holidays
Pignik wrote:
So Kaprun - looking at the piste map, am I right in thinking you can take three (?) bubbles and find pistes high up for all level of skiers?

yes two routes up, from kaprun town /maiskogel ski area and across the new gondola link or from further up the valley.

Once up on the glacier, its good range of blue and red runs with the odd little black thrown in. Not the largest area, but its the same ski pass as Zell (and Saalbach etc) so you could explore further afield in the mornings if you wanted more variety
snow conditions
@Pignik, Remember it's the Sun that has the greatest impact on surface conditions above freezing altitude, so all those "got to go to the Glacier" punters may not be entirely accurate for early April. It can get pretty soft, pretty quickly where the Glacier is not in shade and of course there are no trees! I'd follow the advice of those above who said stay in a valley town and be prepared to commute 30-40 Mins to find the best conditions. Schladming, "Snowspace" (Zauch and Flachau) and Gastein Valley are all on the same 6 day lift pass (and at that time of year kids ski free in Ski Amade with a paying adult). Obertauren is on a different pass but maybe worth a morning's session. I live in Flachau and I've been able to ski to the bottom of the valley every Easter for the last 8 years but if you're not happy in Slush on the bottom 3rd, then Bed Early, Ski Early and Apres in the Sun. Very Happy
snow report
aarghhh... I'm heading round in circles again Smile
snow report
The dreaded circles!! Laughing

I'd add to what @RedandWhiteFlachau said - if you choose to stay in Flachau where there is plenty of accommodation (and there's lots going on so fun) you can ski there if conditions are good - and all over the tops towards Alpendorf without a valley run I think? Or hop on a quick bus to Flachauwinkl which connects to Zauchensee, there's a gondola so you can avoid the slushy valley run back down (did this last week, was amusing to watch the slush strugglers from the lift). Then if you have a car Schladming is a goer (though the connections seemed to be more up then down to the bottom then up again) Plenty of choice, and more if it piddles snow and the lower areas happen to be great. snowHead
ski holidays
@t44tomo, do the runs on the glacier have T-bars? Some people really hate them. I'm not too fond of them myself, having made a spectacle of myself at the top of one in Tignes, when I was riding on my own and the "hook" caught in my trousers and resisted being chucked away.
ski holidays
Well the only problem with the low altitude resorts is the rain. However if you have in Flachau rain, possible in Kitzsteinhorn will be foggy and also not good for skiing

The best thing in april is to check out the orientation of the slopes and moves accordingly.
There is alway a perfect time for skiing e.g. from 10.00 to 12.00, with a +/-30 min or more according to the sun, the slopes facing etc
In this time the slopes turned from tsiment hard pack snow (from night temp) to soft sugar snow and later to slush snow
You have to check the times / orientation and find the best way to move e.g. first thing in the morning , to south facing slopes, and then moving to north facing slopes as the sun goes higher. Probably after 13.00 pm is a slushy party however you could have 3 to 4 hours super skiing evern if you are under 2.000 m
latest report
A few years ago we went to Kirchberg in this week and tbh conditions at the the local resort, Kitz, were pants. However, because we had a car we were able to enjoy fantastic days' skiing in Steinplatte, Wildkogel, Alpbach, and somewhere else. All within an easy 25min drive and none of them reknowned for their height. Fieberbrunn was also close but closed due to high winds on the day.

The point is not that you should go to Kirchberg but that with a car, an appropriate lift pass and a reaonably central location you'll have access to 1000s of km of piste in great condition, it will just require a bit of flexibility to research when you're there and make plans accordingly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most of the Kitzsteinhorn slopes have their back to the sun. The slopes get the sun in April (i.e. are not in the shade) but the slopes and sun are at a shallow angle to each other.
The T-bars at the top can be avoided by taking the Gletscherjet 3&4 gondolas.
To get to the glacier first thing, take the Gletscherjet 1 or Panoramabahm gondolas, as these open before the K-onnection and are quicker.
snow conditions
Quote:

A few years ago we went to Kirchberg in this week and tbh conditions at the the local resort, Kitz, were pants. However, because we had a car we were able to enjoy fantastic days' skiing in Steinplatte, Wildkogel, Alpbach, and somewhere else. All within an easy 25min drive and none of them reknowned for their height. Fieberbrunn was also close but closed due to high winds on the day.

The point is not that you should go to Kirchberg but that with a car, an appropriate lift pass and a reaonably central location you'll have access to 1000s of km of piste in great condition, it will just require a bit of flexibility to research when you're there and make plans accordingly.

Maybe a dumb question but how do you find where the snow is - just ask in the local ski shops?
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/
snow report
thanks
latest report
Pignik wrote:

ease the pressure off the outside ski and you'll soon straighten up snowHead
snow report
Quote:

I'd add to what @RedandWhiteFlachau said - if you choose to stay in Flachau where there is plenty of accommodation (and there's lots going on so fun) you can ski there if conditions are good - and all over the tops towards Alpendorf without a valley run I think? Or hop on a quick bus to Flachauwinkl which connects to Zauchensee, there's a gondola so you can avoid the slushy valley run back down (did this last week, was amusing to watch the slush strugglers from the lift). Then if you have a car Schladming is a goer (though the connections seemed to be more up then down to the bottom then up again) Plenty of choice, and more if it piddles snow and the lower areas happen to be great.

Think this might be the plan - at least the car is rented. In Flachau, I'm thinking close to the Achterjet makes sense so you can get up the mountain in one fell swoop - or is it much of a muchness if you take the Spacejets or Starjets to get up? Got to love the lift names!
ski holidays
@Pignik, much of a muchness. Starjet is in the centre with most restaurants and bars, space jet at the far end, only really the dampfkessel and weinstadl (pizza) Achter in between...that's where my flat is ...15 mins walk to the centre, has a couple of umbrella bars and restaurants nearby. Shuttle busses run between all the lifts till around 5pm-5.15pm

Let us know what accommodation you are thinking of and we can advise
latest report
Thanks - will have a search around tomorrow
snow report
@Pignik, Bottom to top lifts in one go are both out of Wagrain not Flachau. Flying Mozart lift towards Flachau and Graffenberg towards Alpendorf. But as @holidayloverxx, says, let us know where you find to stay and we can give you a steer.
snow conditions
Great - the circles are at least getting smaller. Wagrain looks a good option - but might not be much for the novice skier around either top...? Could be a bit red for the lady in my life. What's Kleinarl like - I'm thinking even if it's good, it's accessible from Flachau/Flachauwinkl and if you stay in either of those you have more options. On Flachauwinkl, that seems like an option if we're not bothered about shops/restaurants on foot?
ski holidays
@Pignik, Top of the flying mozart down the wagrain side would be tricky for a novice, a bit easier on the flachau side but still red..how much of a novice is she?

Top of grafenberg has a lovely blue from the top and there's loads more going a bit further over to alpendorf

Kleinarl has a couple of blue runs...one wide but not very long, the other basically a track to the lumberjack chair...you would be better off at Zauchensee.
snow conditions
Pignik wrote:

Don't torture yourself - there's no absolutely right answer, pick one where the accommodation seems best as that is something you will get use out of. Travelling around seems a great option and you'll get to see other resorts and get ideas for future holidays.

I always torture myself with these kind of decisions but try to remember that there's always next year, pick one this year and you can try your other favourite the next year and so on
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy