Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

beginners couples trip

Poster: A snowHead
Been doing a lot of reading and am struggling to find the right resort for my wife and I for next year early Feb (before half term). We are both beginners. I have just returned from my first ski trip to bansko (stag do) and really enjoyed it. Did a couple of lessons and a couple of days solo mainly on greens and the odd blue (wife is at a similar level) - we are both in our 30's
We Would be going for 4/5 nights and would really like the below from our next trip:
- A wider variety( and larger size) of greens and blues to keep us busy
- great hotel with decent food as we enjoy good food and using the spar facilities of the hotel
- More of a charming/traditional resort
- really enjoyed the Apres side of things, skiing in and out of restaurants/ bars was great
- great lessons for beginners

We have been looking at the 3 valleys and are not sure what resort would tick the above most - we looked at val d'isere, Tignes, Meribel, Courchevel 1650 & val thorens. We would prefer France but are open to any other countries if a better fit.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It all depends on budget.

I used to check 'the book' - where to ski and snowboard, but now they're books covering specific areas - there is a French Alps one. There is the website now as well, https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com , which is good but ultimately it might be worth talking to an agent. We use Snowfinders, you can literally throw a whole load of variables at them and they come up with a few options. Others are available of course.

Serre Chevalier might be a good shout, we went there a couple of times, admittedly quite a few years ago now @weathercam on here is a resident I believe. Maybe La Rosiere, that has good options and plenty of skiing.

Ultimately, for me, it depends on how much actual skiing you plan on doing. We used to hire a chalet, have the whole thing to a group and then those in lessons would go off in the morning and then all meet up and either ski in the afternoon or relax etc.. I used to try and get about as much out of the skiing as possible but we had great holidays and being in a group meant we could ski all together, or in small groups or for those that had, had enough they could shop, etc..

Some of the chalet hotels have decent spa options, usually a pool or hammam, etc..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Much as I'm a Francophile, it sounds as though an Austrian resort might be more up your street - a small, not too expensive one (the 3 Valleys is both big and expensive). To miss half term it'll have to be first week of February - good week to choose. If you do want to go to France, Les Saisies would be good. There's a very nice hotel (the Calgary) but expensive. Lots of nice apartments and you can choose a different restaurant every night. . But it's much easier, especially in France, to do a Saturday/Saturday week. Odd days accommodation can be difficult.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@horizons47, OK it's been a long time since I've been there but I thought Bansko was a very tradditional farming village. I suppose the tradional skiing resorts are: St. Moritz, Zermatt, or even Cortina d'Ampezzo. Even the small French resorts such as Val Frejus are more extensive than Bansko. @eps's, suggestion of Where to Ski and Snowboard is a good one.

I take it you are planning to go on Febuary 3rd to miss the half term holidays (they are actually called winter holidays) that run from Febuary 10th until March 10th, a week later than this year.

Looking at your requirements, particuarly for spas, food and entertainment I think your best bet is a Club Med somewhere such as Valmorel or La Rossiere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks eps, wicll check La Rosiere out, have a look at where to ski and snowboard and will likely reach out to snowfinders if i cannot find something independently. It will just be the 2 of us and we plan on doing quite a lot of skiing in the time we have whilst enjoying the Apres. We will likely have an early finish on one of the days to enjoy the spa facilities (she may do this on 2 of the days Very Happy ). Price is not a big factor, happy to spend more on this trip as this will likely be our only chance at a skii holiday as a couple as we will be taking our young kids with us the following year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Johne thanks for your response, Enjoyed the skiing in Bansko and felt it was great to get started as a beginner. The type of nightlife was not my thing and my wife would not enjoy it. leaned more to the debaucherous side of things if i can put it kindly.
I am encouraged that you have mentioned that the smaller french resorts would be larger as this is my biggest fear/ difficulty (trying to gauge size and access to a variety of blues & greens) bansko felt small (for my ability) after a number of days and I didn't want a repeat of this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Valmorel is great for beginners and reasonably pretty - but is not as snow sure as higher resorts. Should be OK in Feb....but we are having very strange weather.

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/valmorel/ski-resort

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jan/24/valmorel-family-ski-resort-alps-france
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@horizons47, Welcome to Snowheads. Morzine (FR), Alta Badia (IT) and Alpbach (AT) all have loads of Blues, lots of cafes and relatively short transfers. Avoid Peak Season weeks at any of them and you'll have a great time.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 20-03-23 22:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
We have been looking at the 3 valleys and are not sure what resort would tick the above most - we looked at val d'isere, Tignes, Meribel, Courchevel 1650 & val thorens

Val d'Isere and Tignes aren't in the 3 Vallees... wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@horizons47, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Les Gets (France)
Corvara/Colfosco (Italy)
Lech (Austria)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all for your help with this. I think i may be making it more complicated than it needs to be, the resorts I feel are the best fit are those that are not very snow-sure: Morzine, Megève, Valmorel. when taking snow into consideration Meribel and Obergurgl seem to work. Would you all put snow at the forefront of your decision-making given we are traveling the first week of Feb?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Would you all put snow at the forefront of your decision-making given we are traveling the first week of Feb?

No, and if I did I wouldn't go to Meribel if choosing the Three Valleys. In France, I'd go to Les Saisies, as I recommended above, which is an attractive resort with a terrific range of "easy" slopes. And, actually, a very good snow record. I don't know enough about Austrian resorts to recommend any but I wouldn't go to Obergurgl which is high and bleak and not exactly "gemuetlich".

We liked Alpbach, which is a beautiful village, and very friendly, though having to go to the slopes by bus was a bit of a pain. We had good instruction there.

If learning is a priority for you there's a lot to be said for an Austrian ski school which has lessons morning and afternoon.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@horizons47, early Feb, I'd not be thinking too hard about snow - you can't legislate for a really bad snow year but I'd have thought most places would be fine for your purposes. You don't need a metre of pow, you just need a good instructor to take you to where the best snow and runs are. Smile

My husband and I really enjoyed La Plagne as new-ish skiers a few years ago, except it's not particularly charming - but being in that big bowl surrounded by mountains made up for any architectural deficiencies (we just didn't notice as we were too busy skiing and eating, and given it's my job to notice architectural style that's quite a thing! Laughing ) As am near beginner you can get round so much of the resort on long runs, the instruction was good (we went with New Gen) and there were enough bars on the slopes for a bit of apres. Some of the restaurants were really good. In terms of skiing, I really enjoyed being able to get up top and ski down the tunnel run, and being able to get over the back to the Borsellier restaurant with amazing views, all on blues (and I am a very nervy skier).

Might be worth a look! At your stage we didn't bother to go over to Les Arcs, there was enough for us on the La Plagne side.

Anyway, probably not ideal given you want some charm but thought I'd throw it in. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizons47 wrote:

We have been looking at the 3 valleys and are not sure what resort would tick the above most - we looked at val d'isere, Tignes, Meribel, Courchevel 1650 & val thorens. We would prefer France but are open to any other countries if a better fit.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Avoid all of those!
Go somewhere smaller - 100km or so.
You will be paying a premium to access 300km+ of pistes, which will mostly be above your ability.
Lots of Maurienne valley resorts tick your boxes without breaking the bank, however transfers are a PITA.
Bardonecchia in Italy, but close to the French border is probably a good option as well. Easily accessible from Turin.

If you are going to DIY a trip & plan on flying, maybe have a look at what routes are available.
Then look at transfer options. Process of elimination snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You have plenty of time. Provided you go first week of February to avoid the holidays there should be loads of choice. No need to feel any pressure to decide.
ski holidays
@horizons47, I would definitely avoid the three valleys. Not the best ski area for beginners in my opinion and you will pay a fortune for a decent hotel there.

Les Saisies - is ideal in terms of ski area but it doesn't have so many luxury hotels. We stayed in Residence Amaya which is high end self catering residence with pool and spa. You can order breakfast goods there and eat out on the mountain at lunch and in the village in the evening. NB it is ski to and from the door but a bit out of the village so whilst there is a shuttle bus it is best to have a car.

Montgenevre - Has suitable skiing and I like Le Napoleon self catering residence the best (near beginner slopes and village centre so you can eat out easily). There is a hotel called Annova there but it is a bit further from the best beginner slopes.

La Rosiere - probably the best fit I can think of in terms hotel and skiing. I would highly recommend Hotel Alparena which is right on the slopes.

We have booked all of these through Peak Retreats. Alternatively you could look at Club Med but bear in mind that unless you book one of their adult only properties there will be a lot of small kids around although they will mainly be out at lessons and in childcare in the day. Their lessons will also be based around week long stays.

I haven't skied as much in Italy and Austria so will leave it to others to make recommendations there.

If possible extend your holiday to a week.
snow report
4-5 night holidays are inevitably DIY. What sort of apres is wanted? If you want loud cheesy music and dancing in ski boots drinking lager, Austria is the place. Ski welt and Saalbach skicircus would be excessive for your needs (not as excessive as Meribel though). Never been but Alpbach and similar sized areas probably better for you and cheaper. Depends where flights will take you at the right time for a decent price. Innsbruck, Salzburg and Munich are all reasonably close to the Alps.

Prefer Prosecco, canapés and a seat? Go to Italy. For stunning scenery you can’t beat the Dolomites but the Superski area is best for long days of easy sight seeing by ski and is generally sat-sat bookings so I’d save it for later, when you can use the extent of the skiing and look at somewhere with a smaller ski area like Madonna di Campiglio or smaller. Proper town set in magnificent scenery with long reds and blues. Mainly decent uplift. Quite good on mountain food and excellent restaurants for the evening. Think there are nice bars, there’s definitely a proper apres ski bar at the bottom of Groste too. For quality booze, coffee and food in lovely surroundings, it’s great. Being Italy the town itself is a nice place for a wander in the evening (expect this to be busier than the slopes, the passeggiata is the main event for many). Wouldn’t stay in any of the linked villages, you’ll be limited by the harder slopes there. I think some hotels will easily do 4-5 days stays, there are lots.

Fly to Verona or Bergamo then hire a car unless there’s an obvious transfer service. Car hire is often v cheap in Italy.

There are many other slightly smaller areas nearby which have TRs on here (Tonale/PdL, Andalo, Aprica) but if you’re still doing blues with the odd bit of red you’ll probably find them too tough and be stuck in too small an area. Not sure about the smaller Superski areas, think I remember a report suggesting Civetta is excellent for beginners? Fly to Venice for there.

The other place that would be good is Andorra but I think mainly set up for week long visits so you may find a shorter stay difficult to organise. Would avoid Pas de La Casa though, reds into town there and it’s not the prettiest.
ski holidays
Another thought about doing just 4 - 5 days. That won't fit in with the standard "ski school week" so you'll need to book private lessons. Ideal if budget is no issue.

I'd agree with @snowymum that you should consider extending your trip to a standard Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun week, which would give you a lot of choice, and he option of using a tour operator.
snow report
I’d suggest you invest. Find a relatively small resort (ie cheap lift pass) with excellent tuition and get as much teaching as possible. You will see snow and mountains anyway. Then next year you’ll be so much better and won’t have to ask for resorts with mainly greens and blues.
I’m wondering about Vallnord in Andorra (Grandvalira is now a big area and you’ll struggle to see it all)
ski holidays
You look like apres and France. If cost is no issue then Val D'isere is a much improved beginner resort what the good apres.
Some lovely easier runs up top and download back down. The downside is cost, and avoid going out on a Saturday if you can, return on the road by 6am if you can.
snow report
@horizons47, What about a learn to ski week with one of the bigger tour operators?
Everything is usually included, flights, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, equipment hire, lessons etc.
Should take away a lot of the hassle involved in organising it all yourself.
I'm pretty sure we did one of those in the distant past, ended up going to Livigno which was great fun for a beginner / early intermediate.
ski holidays
Adelboden, great hotels, with spa etc. One of them even has a Welsh named chef tied to the restaurant Bryn Williams.
Skiing plentiful, pretty, peaceful, chilled, unhurried and views south to Wildstrubel dramatic!!
ski holidays
I'm going to throw in something different...Look at Finland e.g. Yllas or Levi.

Great snow, short transfers from the airport, English speaking instructors, quiet & generally easy runs, inexpensive ski passes (a weeks pass, instruction and equipment for under £300), good chance of the northern lights in the evenings and other activities post ski such as husky sledging.

Resorts are small and not challenging so once you've got the basics they will likely be too small but great for learning and a different type of ski trip.
snow conditions
agree with others about the extension to the week trip - going into ski school as a couple is fun - my ex wife and I did it and really enjoyed it.

Re resorts: we did that in Valmorel and the ESF there were wonderful many years ago. But this season, I would imagine their snow conditions were a scare story with most of the resort at 1400m and most of the skiing below 2000m.
La Rosiere is nice, pretty, good snow record but the transfer to Italy, which makes it appealing is on two long drags with a tough-ish red down to them. Also when that wind socks in, it is no fun for a beginner. But I do like the place.

If progression skiing is more important than the hotel then look at Alpe D'Huez.

If you can afford it and it is genuinely a big couples trip then look at Club Med for all the little luxuries. Any number of good options for them: Alpe D'Huez, Les Arcs, La Rosiere.

Otherwise a chalet if you want France and have a laugh - Meribel/Courchevel, Les Deux Alpes.

If a hotel experience is what you want then you could look at Passo Tonale or Cervinia in Italy - lots of flattering skiing or Obergurgl in Austria.

If you wanted to self cater and binge yourself on great food then France is favourite and has many fantastic choices of brill early intermediate skiing - Courchevel 1650, La Tania, Les Arcs, Valmorel, La Rosiere, Alpe D'Huez, Puy St Vincent.

But remember ski destinations are very marmite and in the eyes of the beholder. Go with your own gut. Prioritise what you see as your major pre-requisites as a couple

I see some suggestions that I think are wayward, incorrect and I would not touch with your bargepole - but for the people that choose them they are their faves and great choices based on what they want and have experienced.

If apres is a crucial thing then Les Arcs, ADH, even Val Thorens or most of Austria.

But there are resorts that I really like the look of aesthetically, that I wouldn't trust because of poor snow records and propensity to rain (Les Gets and Morzine) and because of dubious snow: Zell Am See....unless booking last minute.

It's good fun this skiing thing - in a nutshell - trust your own hunches
latest report
richb67 wrote:
I'm going to throw in something different...Look at Finland e.g. Yllas or Levi.

Great snow, short transfers from the airport, English speaking instructors, quiet & generally easy runs, inexpensive ski passes (a weeks pass, instruction and equipment for under £300), good chance of the northern lights in the evenings and other activities post ski such as husky sledging.

Resorts are small and not challenging so once you've got the basics they will likely be too small but great for learning and a different type of ski trip.

We (a couple in our 30s, at the time) did a week in Finland (Yllas) as our second week skiing (first was in Sauze, which was not beginner-friendly, so we wanted somewhere a bit more suited to our (lack of) ability). We had such a good week. Enough skiing to help us get our ski legs, magical conditions (we went in early Jan, when there was no natural daylight), great tuition, quiet slopes, Northern Lights watching in the evenings...

We stayed in a chalet through one of the TOs. Probably Nielsen, I guess. It was definitely the right way to do it - no expensive eating out, lovely cosy accommodation, reindeer wandering past at night.

We had a great time and it paved the way for our love of skiing - it gave me the confidence I never thought I'd have, and was so much more than 'just' a skiing holiday.
ski holidays
years ago when just getting back into skiing my wife and I went to the 4S* Hotel Boglerhof in Alpbach with Inghams.
Food was gorgeous, lovely spa area and the village beautiful. Good easy/intermediate skiing too...
https://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/ski-resorts/austria/the-ski-juwel-area/alpbach/hotel-boglerhof
snow conditions
I think alpe d'huez can not be beat for progressive skiing
snow report
@horizons47, would be interested to know how you got on with your research. Have you settled on a resort?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for checking in.
Did so much research on this only for us to have to move the date to December Shocked
We eventually went with Solden as we are traveling with another couple that are familiar with the resort and in terms of snow reliability at this time of year (glacier) seemed like a good choice.
Staying at the Bergland hotel that seems to have a world.class spa which should help keep my other half pleased
snow report
SPORT Hotel. SOLDEU.
Great hotel. Bottom of slope. Beginner friendly resort
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy