Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Find me a resort for Feb half term 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Can the Snowheads hive mind help me choose somewhere for next year's February half term?

We are a family of four and the kids will be 9 and 7. They had their first ski trip this new year in Ruka and loved it. By the end of the week they were heading down the blue runs in that fearless way young kids do, doing some ramps and boxes in the kids snow park, and detouring off the sides of the pistes through the trees. They would happily have spent the whole week skiing, so non-skiing activities and things like kids clubs aren't that important to us.

Mum and I have done four weeks, although the last before Ruka was 10+ years ago, before kids. We are comfortable on reds, and would be hopefully using the ski school to ease us onto some blacks, although I think long term our natural habitat will always be blues and reds, so we're not too fussed about there being lots of difficult and interesting blacks.

The priorities are for somewhere relatively uncrowded (given it will be half term); somewhere with good blue runs for the kids, who don't need baby slopes, but equally don't need their confidence knocking; and good value for money - the hotels aren't important, as long as they keep the weather out at night they don't need to be anything fancy.

Our half term will be starting 17 Feb, the second week of the UK's half terms, with most schools having theirs in the first week. According to the very helpful table of school holidays posted elsewhere, this looks like a pretty good week, clashing with France A&C, Holland, Austria and Finland, but not much else.

Previously we have had two separate weeks in Soldeu in Feb half term, which was busy but manageable, with lift queues generally no more that a couple of minutes, and Kaprun in a "split" Feb half term like next year's one, which if I recall probably had less queueing than Soldeu, although the slopes could get a bit busy. From Kaprun we also had a day in Zell am See which was similar, busy but fine. Ruka was nice in terms of numbers for most of our week, although it got busy on new year's even and new year's day with people from the Finnish cities, and looking at the webcams this Feb just gone, it was even busier so we would probably avoid Finland in February.

We will be going via a tour operator, probably Crystal. We will be getting the standard group ski lessons for everyone.

I'm leaning towards Italy at the moment, with Austria and Andorra as other contenders. I have mentally ruled out France on the basis of crowds in the Feb half term - am I right to do so? The shortlist at the moment is:
Passo Tonale
Selva Val Gardena
Corvara
Kaprun/Zell am See
St Johann
Obergurgl (generally more expensive than the others - is it worth it given our abilities?)
Soldeu/El Tarter

Are there any of these that ought not to be there? Or any that definitely need to be added?

Thanks Snowheads! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you are teachers, take themmout of holidays
Last week of Jan
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, @Temesvar, you are right to avoid France at half term. Of the places you've listed, Corvara would come out well on top for me because it combines lots of lovely unchallenging skiing, superlative scenery and great places to eat and drink. Personally I'd go for self-catering over a hotel, but that's me - I don't like hotels.

Frosty the Snowman's suggestion is best of all, of course....... wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Temesvar, I second my learned colleagues @Frosty the Snowman, and @pam w,

At that age I would take them out of school. We did when ours were that age and no damage caused, frankly they still ended up with better attendance records than most anyway. And the benefits are huge.

On places to go, I would highly recommend Obergurgl given your description of your family. The ski school is excellent, the snow is pretty much guaranteed, and you will manage most of the slopes with no problem.

Corvara is definitely a great option too. Although I don't know the ski school set-up there personally I would assume it is also excellent.

An even better option in my view would be Pila or even Santa Caterina. Santa Caterina in particular is ideal for beginners as it is a small, contained area and never really busy. It is also very pretty and normally quite snow sure.

If avoiding half-term and happy to go DIY a bit off the beaten path, then Grimentz in Switzerland is also good. Long and high blue slopes. And with a week of ski school you will probably be comfortable on many of the reds too.

All that being said my lot learned to ski in Sass Fee, which in many ways is not ideal for beginners. It has an outstanding nursery slope area, but it is quite a big step up to many of the runs on there main mountain. They seemed to thrive on it. So pretty much anywhere with good snow and a decent ski school will work.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the plan is to use a school then I would be leaning towards italy. I've used as school in Austria, paid e200 for something like 1h20m lesson (meeting at the middle station in Hintertux then a trip to learning slope) and it was the worst money spent even though very good school rating. W did lessons before and after in Italy and it was much cheaper (around e45-55 per 55-60min) and much better quality.
For kids I really liked Kronplatz, nice blue slope at the bottom and lots of blues at the top with nice snowparks for kids.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much everyone!

I was meaning to add the same as I said about Obergurgl to Corvara too - is it worth the extra money (c. £500-£1000-ish for our family) compared to the other options?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would avoid Selva/Corvara - although both are very nice indeed and tick a lot of boxes. The big thing going for that area is the ability to cover a lot of miles, and you pay a lot for the amazing lift infrastructure. But from your description, I don't imagine that would be happening. So I'd go somewhere where the lift pass prices are a bit more manageable.

Interesting the point about ski school above. When we've skied with kids (around the age of yours) we found Austria a better option - partly because there was an option for all day ski school, so it meant everyone was happy. The kids had great tuition, lunch with their new friends, and learnt loads, and the parents got a good chunk of time to ski themselves. The plan was to do half the week in ski school all day and then half mornings only, but the kids loved it so much they did the full week all day. We were in the Kitzbuhel area, which isn't on your list but I would say ticks all your boxes. We stayed out of town and got the bus or train to the lift each morning (storing our skis at the gondola station). Would highly recommend.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowyc wrote:
If the plan is to use a school then I would be leaning towards italy. I've used as school in Austria, paid e200 for something like 1h20m lesson (meeting at the middle station in Hintertux then a trip to learning slope) and it was the worst money spent even though very good school rating. W did lessons before and after in Italy and it was much cheaper (around e45-55 per 55-60min) and much better quality.
For kids I really liked Kronplatz, nice blue slope at the bottom and lots of blues at the top with nice snowparks for kids.

I really like Kronplatz, but......... To get that fantastic blue slope (Miara) you need to stay in San Vigilio, which isn't a problem in itself, as it is my place of choice. However, the hotels there are generally pretty good quality with pools / spa / sauna / etc which means the cost is generally high-ish. I tend to DIY and have done so with my own children and we stay in self catering accommodation which again tends to be of good quality. It works well for us especially with children, as it gives flexibility over meal times etc and we tend to eat out quite a bit (you can get a fairly cheap meal out if it's something like a pizza for the younger ones - or the older ones).
The big drawback for some is that if you DIY then getting to San Vigilio isn't always the easiest, but it can be done
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd recommend Mayrhofen if going to Austria.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="JHS"]
snowyc wrote:
To get that fantastic blue slope (Miara) you need to stay in San Vigilio, which isn't a problem in itself, as it is my place of choice. However, the hotels there are generally pretty good quality with pools / spa / sauna / etc which means the cost is generally high-ish. I tend to DIY and have done so with my own children and we stay in self catering accommodation which again tends to be of good quality. It works well for us especially with children, as it gives flexibility over meal times etc and we tend to eat out quite a bit (you can get a fairly cheap meal out if it's something like a pizza for the younger ones - or the older ones).
The big drawback for some is that if you DIY then getting to San Vigilio isn't always the easiest, but it can be done

We stayed in an apt close to Brunico, 15min drive to the lift. The sledge run with access through the lift was really enjoyable!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="snowyc"]
JHS wrote:
snowyc wrote:
To get that fantastic blue slope (Miara) you need to stay in San Vigilio, which isn't a problem in itself, as it is my place of choice. However, the hotels there are generally pretty good quality with pools / spa / sauna / etc which means the cost is generally high-ish. I tend to DIY and have done so with my own children and we stay in self catering accommodation which again tends to be of good quality. It works well for us especially with children, as it gives flexibility over meal times etc and we tend to eat out quite a bit (you can get a fairly cheap meal out if it's something like a pizza for the younger ones - or the older ones).

We stayed in an apt close to Brunico, 15min drive to the lift. The sledge run with access through the lift was really enjoyable!

There is a decent beginners slope at Reishach / Riscone (next to Bruneck / Brunico) but not as long as Miara.
The other advantage of the Bruneck / Reishach side is you are close to the leisure centre at Cron4 with pool etc. And a very good bus service (not that it is far)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for all your advice, it's really appreciated!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Unless you are teachers, take them out of holidays
Last week of Jan

Agree, or March after 8th. Quieter & cheaper.
Note France Zone A (includes Alpine areas) and C (includes Paris) should be avoided if possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Soldeu is good and has native English instructors (I sound so parochial). I don’t know what holidays can be found, we always DIY with a 1-bed apt via booking.com in El Tarter. We go in Carnival week and the slopes might be busy Sun-Tue but are empty from Wed morning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are going with a TO, then you're limited to what they're offering, correct? I would start with one you like then narrow it down from there. If I were starting out from scratch, more or less, I would go to the Dolomites with beginners/intermediates every time.

Reasons being good weather, good grooming/snowmaking, and an abundance of blue runs -- and great foodl If you can find a reasonable spot in Corvara, that would be perfect, I think.

France will be crowded at half term, for sure. We have gone to the Dolomites at half term 5 times and only had minor lift lines, mostly at the start of the day.
ski holidays
We (family of 4) have been to Ruka, Soldeu and Alta Badia in the Dolomites at half term. Stayed in San Cassiano, which is 2 lifts/runs from Corvara. The Dolomites are great, quieter than Soldeu with better lifts, much better on mountain food and much better scenery. I did like a couple of restaurants in Soldeu village though. You can get Alta Badia only lift pass, which is a bit cheaper than a Superski. In fact under 8’s got a free AB pass with an adult Superski when we went (2018), when the children were, err 7 and 6 so check if that offer still exists before splashing out with Crystal! If Corvara is the Alta Badia option in the Crystal brochure at a reasonable price and you are going TO, go there, scenery is great.
snow report
Feb half term 2024 collides with alot of other countries. Someone posted a month or so ago a chart. Nederlands, Deutchland, Salzburgerland and Italia are all off the same week as us.
For that reason we're going ski touring in Poland instead
snow report
Bit late to this but I’d recommend st Johann with Crystal. It’s a nice small resort so you can easily keep an eye on the kids from a distance (either as you ski past or go over them in the gondola). The pool in town is free and great for kids after a day on the slopes and the hotels crystal offer are all good.
We went the week before half term and my friend went half term week. She couldn’t believe how quiet it was for half term - I think as it’s a low resort (with excellent snow making though) a lot of people hadn’t wanted to risk it this year, and locals hadn’t bothered so much with day trips.
latest report
I think Ski School's vary resort to resort. My son had good experiences in France (VT) and Austria (Hochgurgl) but the Italian ski school (cervinia) was frankly a bit half-arsed. Obergugrl is great but at that time of year you could probably risk being a bit lower down and having better access to pools/cinemas etc. St Johann is a good suggestion, the transfer is quite short too, which is a bonus.
latest report
Thanks again everyone for your help.

I think I'm leaning towards a beginners' resort such as St Johann, on the basis that it will only be the kids' second week so whether in ski school or skiing about with us, they aren't going to need anything with too many bells and whistles. But some gorgeous place in the Dolomites is definitely on the cards for 2025...
ski holidays
have in mind that St Johann is really low. from 650 till 1650 m
snow report
@turms2, if there's no snow at half term then we are really in trouble
latest report
well there maybe snow but over 1.000m..or over 1.200m
but 650 is really low
I was there in Dec 2018/Jan 2019 i think and was relativ ok. But i was cold with low temps, and they manage almost everything open with artificial snow.
Till feb they will do the same. But if a mild weather comes, with rain below 1000m?
a little bit risky.

However you could try to go to Kitz in such a case
latest report
@turms2, are we talking St Jo im Pongau? If so then lessons will be much higher up than the village. To be honest I think I've only skied down to pretty much village level once. It's really a town with an accessible ski area
ski holidays
Hi, I think you will have a great time wherever you choose to go skiing, I’m a big fan of Passo Tonale & have been there many times, I’m actually going again for a last week at Easter.
The resort is relatively small, the beginners skiing is amongst the best I have encountered & this is what is bringing me back here at the moment as my wife & fiver year old son are beginners.
There are steeper red/black runs down in the next town Ponte Di Legno & the Presena Glacier goes up to 3200m with 2 black runs back to town.
When I was there at February half term I met 2 UK families who had booked cheap apartments & they had a great value holiday, we stayed in a half board hotel which was booked direct, we flew Ryanair Friday to the following Sunday giving us 8 days skiing for £1200 less than Crystal wanted for 6 days skiing.
We booked ski lessons direct with the ski school and we could choose our lesson time.
latest report
Non-Snowhead friends went to Champoluc in Italy from Sunday to Sunday on package deal during second week of half-term and loved it. Said it only got busy on the Saturday when the crowds from Turin came on a day trip.

Having popped into Courmayeur for two days from Chamonix and Cervino for 3 days whilst in Zermatt this week, I now understand why the Snowheads' bashes are in the Aosta Valley, as Champoluc also is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy