Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan Flights 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on going next year for the first time and am wondering if anyone has any deep thoughts or good advice about when to buy? Skyscanner says ~£1200 at the moment which looking at the old threads on here is very high!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say that as a general rule, I'm finding long-haul eastbound flights are about 50% more expensive than pre-COVID (and immediately post-COVID when there were some massive discounts). Capacity hasn't returned as fast as demand. I haven't looked at Japan specifically, but I tend to visit SE Asia a few times a year, and this year is much pricier.

Starting from outside the UK can sometimes make it cheaper. E.g. Oslo, Amsterdam or Paris. But clearly you have to get there first which has its own cost in time, money, and missed "connection" risk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the flight routes to Japan need to avoid Russian airspace which adds a few hours and costs, so that probably doesn't help in terms of airfares either.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowdave, agreed, others have told me that they managed return flights to Hokkaido inc. baggage for ~£700 which is amazingly cheap. I had considered going via Geneva/Paris but the cost there is similar.

@marcs44, ah I see that would explain the increase as well then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avios is your friend.
We bagged Business Class both ways, used our 2-4-1 voucher, a ton load of avios points & about £700 each in taxes.

You could wait for a Sale? BA have one on atm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the best way to gain Avios other than flying?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@eightbobnote, If you know you are going to buy something big like a laptop etc etc and you will be paying it via EG a debit card then then you should get an America Express card. Buy the goods, get 60,000 sign up bonus and use that to get a flight for. £800

What are your dates. I used to fly to Asia ever month on BA for 4 years so I know some tricks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Here is an avios example

So your sign up bonus for most cards (typically 30k) will allow you to save £600 each.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 14-03-23 13:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, just had a look: it's max 30,000 avios now if you spend £5,000 in the first three months. That would be OK except for the £250 annual fee! What do you think?

Probably after Christmas then back at the end of February. I've wanted to go for years so it's a big trip this time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A route I used to Japan a lot was UK to Hong Kong (or Seoul)then back direct from tokyo. This can be about £700
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@eightbobnote, I don't think it's worth it.
1) There's the fee... which also has to be compared to the fact that you might get 1% cashback on another card, so that's another £50 you're giving up - a net £300.
2) You're then reliant on Avios availability which might be there now, and might all have gone by the time you want to book (i.e. in X months time, when you've actually got the Avios).

It might be worth considering the Amex preferred rewards gold card instead - Amex rewards convert to Avios at 1:1. No fee for first year, 20k signup bonus after £3k spend in 3 months - easier all round. That way, if you don't get the flights you want, you've lost very little.

All the options are here...
https://www.headforpoints.com/best-uk-avios-airline-hotel-credit-cards/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eightbobnote, there are a few here
https://www.headforpoints.com/avios-promos/

One thing to remember that Gored did was use points and a 2-4-1 voucher. You basically book one avios flight for 17,000 + £600 and get a flight for free. I've done San diego for £1,200 for 2 in biz for this.

Also Lufthansa and Swiss have the famous BOGOF (only Business) which I did with my wife to Hong Kong for £970 upstairs on the 747 with a bed Happy

Are you going solo? The AMEX gold is free for the firs year. Get it, get the bonus avios then cancel. Also note with AMEX you get travel insurance etc for free.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowdave, beat me to it Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GlasgowCyclops, Very Happy

Maybe our paths will cross at Heathrow one day!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eightbobnote wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, just had a look: it's max 30,000 avios now if you spend £5,000 in the first three months. That would be OK except for the £250 annual fee! What do you think?

Probably after Christmas then back at the end of February. I've wanted to go for years so it's a big trip this time.

the fee is prorated, so you can cancel anytime & get the fee remaining fee back.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@eightbobnote, there are a few here
https://www.headforpoints.com/avios-promos/

One thing to remember that Gored did was use points and a 2-4-1 voucher. You basically book one avios flight for 17,000 + £600 and get a flight for free. I've done San diego for £1,200 for 2 in biz for this.

Also Lufthansa and Swiss have the famous BOGOF (only Business) which I did with my wife to Hong Kong for £970 upstairs on the 747 with a bed Happy

Are you going solo? The AMEX gold is free for the firs year. Get it, get the bonus avios then cancel. Also note with AMEX you get travel insurance etc for free.

If going Solo, then Barclay card Avios or a Barclays account may be an alternative.
Cant remember which, but one gives a free upgrade.
snow conditions
Quote:

You can use the companion vouchers for ha 50% discount on the avios price now I believe if you are traveling solo.

Quote:

I'd say that as a general rule, I'm finding long-haul eastbound flights are about 50% more expensive than pre-COVID (and immediately post-COVID when there were some massive discounts).

I too am finding flights in general about 50% more expensive both LH and SH.
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Very Happy

Maybe our paths will cross at Heathrow one day!

Quit my international travel and started a UK company. And I've hit the soft landing to Silver. Ok the horror Happy
ski holidays
Flew out on 31 Dec
Flew back on 28 Feb

London to Chitose and back

£1000

Have gone for as little as £450 for the same dates and duration

If you can get anything under £900 go for it
latest report
I'm tempted to take the current offer which is £1,100 and be done with it: any chance of lower prices in November which is when (I think) BA do their Far East sale or at least they used to?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 18-03-23 0:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, how did you manage £1k?
ski holidays
@snowdave, so Avios can't be used on any flight as a simple alternative to cash?
latest report
eightbobnote wrote:
@snowdave, so Avios can't be used on any flight as a simple alternative to cash?

On cash bookings there is an option for part payment during the checkout process (towards the end), however it is probably not the best use for value.

Easy way to collect some avios if you are eligible - & it also gives a cabin upgrade voucher
https://www.barclays.co.uk/premier-banking/barclays-avios-rewards/?campaign=pca_avios&chnnl=PSB
snow conditions
eightbobnote wrote:

They can but it’s a really inefficient use of avios.
latest report
eightbobnote wrote:
@Mike Pow, how did you manage £1k?

Booking.com
snow conditions
Does anybody have any knowledge/guesses regarding upcoming sales on flights UK to Tokyo for after Christmas (probably around 28th Dec -13th Jan) or have I left it too late? I Had hoped there might be some sales in September but haven't seen anything yet and the best I can currently see is around £1k with reasonable durations (skyscanner). It was closer to £750 back in July, any chance of it going down or only up from here?

Thanks.
ski holidays
@Chris_R,
Sale is on now https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/destinations/far-east-and-australia/japan
I think BA have reduced flights/capacity as the planes that fly route are going through the cabin upgrades.
My flight for Jan was cancelled (BA005 outbound) & I was put on the earlier flight. Only the one flight a day now with BA until the first Saturday of February.

You could try ANA & JAL
snow report
I've been looking too on those dates. Cathay remains silly prices; KLM best currently in the £800s... hard to know whether to stick or twist on this. I've got the added complication of out via CTS too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you see anything under 1k then buy
snow conditions
@Chris_R, look at a multi trip with a pit stop in Seoul or a flight to KIX. Rather than TYO (NRT and HND).
latest report
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll take a look at those options.
ski holidays
Etihad are doing London to Tokyo in Jan 2024 for under US$1k / £700-800.
ski holidays
Finnair now charging £110 for ski bags to Japan (new BS rules since June). That's just lost them my booking. Etihad have few decent returns - most over 30hrs... Kix wrong way for all the skiing Very Happy
snow report
@wiigman,

Thank you for your information. Shocked
snow conditions
I am quite happy - 778 english pounds, SAS Copenhagen-Haneda direkt. Out 23/24 February - home 14 April 2024. Madeye-Smiley Did not dare to book before they where out of Chapter 11.

Played around the booking site today - lucky hit. Shocked

Will only take boots along this time.

Edit.: chock seems they are not quite out of their trouble! Puzzled US Department of Justice had some objections reported today! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy