Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On piste safety

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

frankly not worth engaging with

This
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

This

Yet you chose to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extremophile wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

This

Yet you chose to.
I saw the error of my ways when I read the tripe which followed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can I have the last word.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps if Extremophile could wear a very obvious logo on the back of his jacket, so if we ever come up behind him we know he's going to perform a "defensive side punch" and then, because we have a "right" to defend ourselves, we can get our punch in first? I'd like to propose the "personal space enabling kidney punch" as the approved name for this (cough) defensive manouvere.

Do you walk around as if carrying imaginary rolls of carpet under your arms? A penchant for overly tight white polo shirts to emphasise how red your face is? What a complete blowhard.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps Ronnie Pickering has moved to Keswick? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who? Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin you’ll just have to be careful of everyone then won’t you, there you go, nice safe pistes. Haha…you guys are too easy to wind up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But....but..... I've just set up a drop-shipping deal on 2000 t-shirts with "Personal Space Enabled by Kidney Punches"!

I was going to be a millionaire this time next year. [sniff]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Extremophile wrote:
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Instead I’m a violent offender with a penchant for beating people up, pushing them off bikes and starting fights for the last pack of loo roll in the supermarket - drama queens.

As you say, interpretation is the key: & it’s your own words that people are interpreting.

Yet they never actually asked me if I have physically punched anyone. Only Doc John did. I’ve only punched air, still a punch. they made assumptions, which is entirely different from interpretation.

you might want to google the case of Auriol Grey - currently in prison for waving a "self defence" arm, resulting in someone else's death.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
t44tomo wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
jmr59 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Instead I’m a violent offender with a penchant for beating people up, pushing them off bikes and starting fights for the last pack of loo roll in the supermarket - drama queens.

As you say, interpretation is the key: & it’s your own words that people are interpreting.

Yet they never actually asked me if I have physically punched anyone. Only Doc John did. I’ve only punched air, still a punch. they made assumptions, which is entirely different from interpretation.

you might want to google the case of Auriol Grey - currently in prison for waving a "self defence" arm, resulting in someone else's death.

All the articles I can see describe it as an aggressive gesticulation and territorialism, verbal abuse etc , no mention of self defence on the defence sideRather different given its oncoming traffic too as opposed to sticking your arm out maybe to point at something, maybe to regain your balance, maybe another involuntary move.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 21-03-23 16:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NoDosh wrote:
But....but..... I've just set up a drop-shipping deal on 2000 t-shirts with "Personal Space Enabled by Kidney Punches"!

I was going to be a millionaire this time next year. [sniff]

*punches the air in delight*
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm with Extremo here. Instead of poles I carry two razor sharp samurai swords, which I whirl around in a frenzy as I go down the slope, as is my right. My skiing friend Stumpy knows to keep a decent distance from me now. Also comes in very handy for slicing the cheese and ham during the pack lunch
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eblunt wrote:
I'm with Extremo here. Instead of poles I carry two razor sharp samurai swords, which I whirl around in a frenzy as I go down the slope, as is my right. My skiing friend Stumpy knows to keep a decent distance from me now. Also comes in very handy for slicing the cheese and ham during the pack lunch

Exactly, sometimes samurai swords is the only way to keep yourself safe #BeMoreMichonne
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eblunt wrote:

Perhaps esharp would be a better nom de piste?

Can you get powder baskets for your katana?

Hmmm, the Katana Powder Baskets. Could this be my new band name?
snow conditions
Good god, handbags at dawn or what. All highly entertaining. Eh oh!
snow conditions
Ooooh, whirling a handbag around my head while issuing forth my most gutteral war cry of "ying tong ying tong ying tong" should ensure a degree of personal safety.

Good shout Very Happy
snow conditions
NoDosh wrote:
Ooooh, whirling a handbag around my head while issuing forth my most gutteral war cry of "ying tong ying tong ying tong" should ensure a degree of personal safety.

Good shout Very Happy

Nah, handbags are too dangerous on chairlifts, it’s either a bumbag or a backpack.
ski holidays
Seriously, my approach on crowded pistes, especially on runs back home is to ski a narrower line, with regular short turns, and with an exagerated pole plant, that way any one coming from behind should be able to predict what I am going to do. Whilst I prefer to ski down one side of the piste, I am coming to the view of leaving enough space for someone to come through "just in case". On tracks or roads, tend to stick firmly to one side, leaving clear space for speedsters to come through. TBH I would like to be a speedster along clear tracks and roads, but increasingly hold back behind kids, people protecting partners etc especially after lunch, since they tend to make random turns.
latest report
DavidYacht wrote:
people protecting partners etc especially after lunch, since they tend to make random turns.

People "protecting" partners or kids rarely are. They are simply increasing the danger by preventing clear sight of the skiers in front and/or making a bigger hazard for an unskilled overtaker to try to avoid.
latest report
^ indeed but this does not prevent it being a reality, especially after lunch or ski school.

I used to click my poles, but was castigated on this forum, so have not since!
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:
... I used to click my poles, but was castigated on this forum, so have not since!
My current algorithm is to watch people ahead very carefully until they make a move in one direction or the other, whilst simultaneously keeping track of what may be behind. When they snowplough/sideslip left, I pass on the other side, benefitting from the inefficiency of their turns. Harder to do when there's a crowd or those "Protecting" types. I want to call out (as I would on a bike riding with a group), but I'm not convinced it helps. Singing loudly to myself may be an option worth exploring, but I'd need to learn to sing.
snow conditions
DavidYacht wrote:
^ indeed but this does not prevent it being a reality, especially after lunch or ski school.

I used to click my poles, but was castigated on this forum

I wonder why? Quite a normal thing to let other know you're there, especially useful when overtaking someone on a narrow track, as long as you make sure it's clear which side you're on.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

I used to click my poles, but was castigated on this forum

I wonder why? Quite a normal thing to let other know you're there, especially useful when overtaking someone on a narrow track, as long as you make sure it's clear which side you're on.
Try searching 'clicking poles' and you'll get more answers than you probably bargained for. wink
ski holidays
Some people need to accept that sometimes they can't overtake safely on narrow paths and just have to wait. Like when you are following cyclists or a slower vehicle down a narrow, winding, country road.
snow conditions
@DavidYacht,
Quote:

Whilst I prefer to ski down one side of the piste, I am coming to the view of leaving enough space for someone to come through "just in case".
+1, sadly. I used to feel safe on the edge, doing short turns at a reasonable speed, but now worry about the flying bombs behind me.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Some people need to accept that sometimes they can't overtake safely on narrow paths and just have to wait. Like when you are following cyclists or a slower vehicle down a narrow, winding, country road.

This. A lot of people seem to think they are entitled to maintain whatever speed they choose in a narrow path. And assume that anyone going more slowly has no good reason for doing so. It is often NOT safe to overtake either because there is little room to do so, or because the skiers in front are perhaps less experienced and therefore more unpredictable.

Like the fat bloke who decided to barge through my group on a narrow path last year. Passed the back marker (ski racer) who was skiing close to and slowly behind his sister (also a ski racer.) Causing the back marker to have to slam the brakes on and his sister to have to ride the bank to avoid a collision. I stopped him for a polite chat which got a little heated as he simply could not accept he had been a danger to himself and both kids. He was a "good skier", knew what he was doing and we were going too slowly was his position. We had slowed as the section was steep and there was another instructor in front of us carefully leading a small child down in front of us, so good in the end that he caused an issue with two very good skiers who could take avoiding action before he reached the small kid. Anyway he got the point eventually, and I also impressed on him that in general it will not be taken kindly if you cut up a group of kids under instruction. We saw him later skiing under us from the chairlift, to the mirth of the kids as he was definitely not a "good skier"!
snow report
pam w wrote:

If you are talking narrow traverse or exit paths then sure but if narrow = a road capable of being driven by a snowcat I think all slope users should be aware that others may want to pass. It's not really an issue where the road is a "chicken loop" around steeper pitches. The hotshots should simply take the steeper pitch. But where the road is an essential connector or the only way down then slower skiers should probably stop occasionally to allow passing for their own safety. I dislike backmarking a slow group on such pitches precisely for the reason @zikomo identifies : I've no desire to be the crumple zone for the next hotshot coming down.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess we will never know the true stats as to whether the ski tracker apps are partly responsible for the knobhead category of skier but it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if the ski tracker apps had the max speed part removed on the next update.

Whilst they may not cause accidents I feel they do encourage the mentality of boasting on social media and to their friends how fast they’ve been. Comparing max speed etc.

Cameras/Go Pro-quite possibly a factor because the person may be concentrating on making ‘good footage’ instead of concentrating on what’s going on around them.

To be honest I have no interest in watching home videos of people skiing down a piste.

Grooming-yes one of the best things about new snow and poor vis days is it keeps people’s speed down massively.
snow report
Next time I visit Europe I’m putting my crampons on my hands to use as knuckeldusters and bringing 2 ice axes for hand to hand combat if I have to dismount.

I’ll give you all a lesson in how a real man snowboards down a busy slope safely at speed.
latest report
@hang11, Laughing
snow report
Quote:

slower skiers should probably stop occasionally to allow passing for their own safety

yes, I'd agree with that. I am aware of drivers (French ones!) wanting to pass me on mountain roads and slow down and signal right when there's a decent stretch of open road for them to pass. Same principle. But I think beginners on those horrid tracks are sometimes just in "rabbit in the headlights" mode and just unaware of the head of steam building up behind them.
ski holidays
@hang11, certainly looks like you need to, given the impression you’ve been given. I’ve been a seasonaire for 10 years now and can count the number of direct collisions on 2 fingers. A few near misses but that’s the nature of the thing. If I were seriously worried for my well being I’d stop. I personally think my summer cycling is far more dangerous than skiing.
snow report
When I started skiing in the 90s we had not seen carving skis, so everyone was on long straight skis, (there were very few snowboards too)

The other thing we saw lots and lots of which we hardly do these days is Moguls on every piste after lunchtime, presumably as a result of everyone being on straight skis

And I think that slowed people down
snow report
Quote:

I personally think my summer cycling is far more dangerous than skiing.

Yes, I'd agree with that. I certainly FEEL more in danger on a bike and ride defensively. In a lot of skiing I've only been involved in two collisions - one, a Frenchman who overtook down the side of the piste. He ran out of piste and just hit me full in the back. No lasting damage except to my thermos flask which smashed and poured coffee down my back. The other collision - which broke my pelvis - was probably 6 of one and half a dozen of the other in a busy and complex area near a lift. That was head-on - he made a last minute change of course to avoid someone else and I was "carrying my way" uphill to avoid walking up to the lift. He thought it was his fault, was solicitous and apologetic, but I felt I should probably have accepted the need to walk a bit uphill! Not a terrifically well designed lift approach, with people going in all directions, another lift in the vicinity. I certainly didn't blame him. Just one of those things, and I made a complete recovery.
snow report
@sev112, and were heaps of fun snowHead
latest report
I have a theory that @Extremophile is in fact Gwyneth Paltrow
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:

Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:

If Gwyneth Paltrow ran a B&B in Keswick. She just has an arsey style of posting that's all not trying to punt stuff to shove upyourself and candles scented with her back bottom crack.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Dr John wrote:

If Gwyneth Paltrow ran a B&B in Keswick. She just has an arsey style of posting that's all not trying to punt stuff to shove upyourself and candles scented with her back bottom crack.

Cool Cool Cool sometimes you just gotta call a spade a spade and let other people make assumptions about what you do with it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy