Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toll Fees - Calais to Alps

Poster: A snowHead
I have had a search to no avail. I'm planning a trip to the Alps tomorrow/wednesday for a few days in the Alps. I've made a few too many trips this season to the mainland so trying to keep costs down. My toll tag costs this season have been around £170 return. There is a three hour difference between taking the toll roads and the normal routes.

Does anybody have any views on a sensible balance of toll/non-tolled routes which would give the best compromise of speed and cost? I haven't been able to find a route planner which does this other than a binary toll/toll-free option.

PS! Not sure of where to head - I'm in a Berlingo camper which is 2.2m with the roof box, so toying with squeezing into Val Disere carparks or admitting defeat and camping at Venosc for L2A. Any thoughts also appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Via Michelin gives you all you need https://www.viamichelin.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's just cost me €86.20 to get to the Grand Massif. For me the extra cost is worth it because French autoroutes are SO much more pleasant than uk motorways.

Other than that, i know last season we took the non-toll road from Amberieu-en-Bugey to Chambéry which was actually very pleasant and didn't affect the travel times too badly when comparing options in Google maps
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depending on your final destination heading off the autoroute south of Dijon and heading across the Jura towards Geneva saves tolls and fuel costs and, being shorter, doesn't carry much of a time penalty if there is no snow on the roads (not recommended when there is). Look at Google Maps from Dijon - Geneva and you'll get the picture. The Jura route through Poligny is 10 minutes slower but far shorter and no tolls. The road is well engineered, and really quite interesting. I don't know why anyone would choose to stay on the autoroute for that sector in good vis and good weather. Though the "Autoroute des Titans" does have some stupendous engineering and an exhibition about it at one of the aires. I've forgotten which - but worth a visit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, The Jura route isn't much fun if you are stuck behind a campervan.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One alternative route I like (but not if crossing busy hours) is autoroute as normal and A40 toward Geneva, jct 11 "Frangy" then on towards Annecy and along the west of Lake to Albertville, you're out of toll from leaving A40 to Tarantaise destination completely, so takes off something similar to the other route through Chambèry.

Have normally got to Annecy Lake front by about 07:30hr Saturday morning for reference, and always loved the drive along the lake at that time. A lovely approach to the mountains it is. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The Jura route isn't much fun if you are stuck behind a campervan

Laughing No, maybe not. But to me it's a 50 mph route anyway, so it would have to be a very slow campervan to cause me any grief.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Toll free route to Austrian bit of the Alps is about the same time as the toll route, but suspect your toll savings will be more than offset due to other costs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
Via Michelin gives you all you need https://www.viamichelin.com

Just tried it, can't seem to make it give me a balanced option. Only the same tolls/no-tolls when I select "economical"... Is there a function in the site that I'm missing?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm unsure of selection too, and so do it manually as I know where I want to go but need details.

Calais to Frangy for example just gave me tolls of €70.84 one way, from there onwards no cost in tolls.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was once caught by the downside of driving off the autoroute - got fined 90 euros for driving through an almost non-existent village, with no speed limit signs, at 58 kph. Chewed up ALL the savings we'd made by driving to the Channel off the autoroute. Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If heading to Chambery and beyond, I always take the A39 from Dijon, past Bourg-en-Bresse and then come off at Amberieu-en-Bugey, as per @nbt above. From there, D1504 past Belley and Yenne, and through the Tunnel du Chat and down to Chambery. Haven't been via Lyon for around 20 years. Overall one-way cost for car in January was around 75 Euros doing this section off the motorway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
I was once caught by the downside of driving off the autoroute - got fined 90 euros for driving through an almost non-existent village, with no speed limit signs, at 58 kph. Chewed up ALL the savings we'd made by driving to the Channel off the autoroute. Embarassed

Very easy to do, though I've managed to avoid it up to now. Always remind myself that the sign with the village name is effectively the speed limit sign.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:

My plan was to put the pedal to the Axminster on the slow route. Didn’t even cross my mind that I’ll almost certainly get a ticket.

bug it, I’ll take the toll again. Just don’t tell the manager.

Only thing I need to figure out before 6 pm ferry tomorrow is where to go. My camper is 2.19m tall (Berlingo) but needs solar access ideally as only a little leisure battery. So looking for somewhere camper car friendly.

All the usual Aires are rammed full. Les Brev Sud in Tignes also full, according to the website. Might end up at L2A but don’t really wanna…

Hmmm…
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Always remind myself that the sign with the village name is effectively the speed limit sign.

Yes, I learnt that.... Embarassed
snow conditions
I always go via Luxembourg and Bescancon ...no tolls but very pleasant 13hrs from Calais ,,,you can always speed it up by going Bescancon then the autoroute ..I think tht way is about €40 in tolls
ski holidays
There's a couple of caravaneige sites in Morillon (Verchaix) and Samoens. The Samoens sie is walking distance from the lifts, the morillon site is a little further but it's served by a free navette
latest report
On the toll road, what class are you being charged at.

A quick google of your camper the height is 1,796mm, therefore you should be a class 1 vehicle. (max height 2m)

If it comes up with classe 2 then your roof box might have triggered the height sensor as you are over 2m.

I would press the assist button and say "Je suis une voiture, je voudrais la classe 1 s'il vous plaît"
ski holidays
userscott wrote:
Only thing I need to figure out before 6 pm ferry tomorrow is where to go. My camper is 2.19m tall (Berlingo) but needs solar access ideally as only a little leisure battery. So looking for somewhere camper car friendly.

All the usual Aires are rammed full. Les Brev Sud in Tignes also full, according to the website. Might end up at L2A but don’t really wanna…

Hmmm…

Maurienne valley (snow allowing) is particularly vehicle friendly with access parking etc generally unrestricted, thinking from Modane onward and up to Val Cenis, Bonneval sur Arc et al. There's a lot of summer camping provision there with some winter capacity that may be worth considering.

Chambery route and then onwards through Maurienne (runs parallel to autoroute) is a really good drive with no appreciable time difference in reality, its a very nice drive up that valley on local roads.
snow report
@ski3, you mention the Maurienne Valley. I’ll be there next week, but never having driven there was just going to follow the sat nav down the autoroutes from GVA.
Now looking at Annecy, Ugine & Albertville instead to save €40plus on tolls.
You seem to be suggesting there’s no need to follow the autoroute up the valley towards Val Cenis & beyond, that the national roads are ok. Is that right (snow permitting)?
snow report
@userscott, Head east to Austria, toll free through France/ Belgium and Germany and arguably better snow currently than French Alps if you pick your resort.
snow conditions
@cardweg, the national roads are generally fine throughout France.
ski holidays
cardweg wrote:
@ski3, you mention the Maurienne Valley. I’ll be there next week, but never having driven there was just going to follow the sat nav down the autoroutes from GVA.
You seem to be suggesting there’s no need to follow the autoroute up the valley towards Val Cenis & beyond, that the national roads are ok. Is that right (snow permitting)?

Yes, its a really nice road, the autoroute, national, railway and river all run parallel to each other along the valley. The route is the same.

Its just a nice drive though, mostly straight and easy flowing, passes through the towns along there and relaxing to drive while giving interest along the way. Crosses the autoroute near Modane as that connects directly in to Frejus tunnel.

Couldn't be easier to follow, if approaching from Albertville then take national road as autoroute splits off for direction-lyon etc and continue to major junction turning left into Maurienne Valley, you have to try hard to miss it but sat nav will obviously guide you there too. Particularly uncomplicated and so definitely worth routing that way.
snow conditions
195062 wrote:
If heading to Chambery and beyond, I always take the A39 from Dijon, past Bourg-en-Bresse and then come off at Amberieu-en-Bugey

Yes, and don't miss the super Boulangerie in Saint-Rambert-en-Bugey - if going towards Chambery you will be on the one-way section by the river so need to stop and park as soon as the one-way starts and head through past La Poste back onto the D1504: past the pharmacy and next to the Boucherie.
ski holidays
cardweg wrote:

It’s unlikely you will have snow that low down and the national road through The Maurienne valley is perfectly fine to drive and will take you through St Jean de Maurienne, St Michel de Maurienne past the Orelle bubble up to Modane and onwards. Not sure what the toll cost is from the Albertville side but would save you €11.90 in toll fees if driving from Chambery direction.
snow report
Quote:

Yes, and don't miss the super Boulangerie in Saint-Rambert-en-Bugey - if going towards Chambery you will be on the one-way section by the river so need to stop and park as soon as the one-way starts and head through past La Poste back onto the D1504: past the pharmacy and next to the Boucherie.

Seconded, we stumbled on this by accident on our return trip, Fabulous
snow conditions
In a few days' time on my trip to a stopover 4 hours from the Alps, I've a choice between driving at 130kph for 6 hours on long autoroutes, or taking 3 more hours by doing 50-90kph on a scenic route.

I have a Berlingo and a Telepeage gadget, and consider the tolls affordable and value for money. Even so, I'm still intending to get up at 6am rather than 9am, to do the scenic route.

The journey is part of the holiday. 6 hours of 'high stakes video game' (motorway driving) or 9 hours of varied scenery (and adventure). I think the latter is the better way to spend the day.
latest report
Incidentally, I think Poligny is a fantastic stopover between The English Channel and The Alps (5 mins from the motorway, but seems remote). Hotel de Paris is a charming 'old school' hotel, which will suit those bored of the modern, characterless motels.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
userscott wrote:
PS! Not sure of where to head - I'm in a Berlingo camper which is 2.2m with the roof box, so toying with squeezing into Val Disere carparks or admitting defeat and camping at Venosc for L2A. Any thoughts also appreciated!

Chamonix or Bourg St Maurice are valley floor ski towns, so probably quite warm at night for this time of year, and no doubt are well geared up for campervans.

If you want to be up high in the snow, then the approach road to Avoriaz may have some free parking.
snow report
Poligny is lovely - I have often stopped for a coffee. I have to drive from Calais to Genoa at the end of March - picking up grandson on Genoa for a week's holiday in Les Saisies. I prefer the Fréjus tunnel to the Mont Blanc tunnel - always seems less fraught - but that means going rather further west and my often-route across the Jura doesn't make sense. Am allowing two days to get to Genoa and have an AirBnB booked about 50 kms out of Genoa on the Friday night. I can't afford to hang around too much but with two days to do it I don't have to hammer down the motorway the whole way. Am looking at the options on google maps. Certainly will do some off the motorway. But won't make any firm plans - need to adapt to weather, and how I feel.
snow conditions
@userscott, is there not a ski in ski out place in La Plagne?
snow conditions
@pam w, last time I stopped there for the 6th time (over a decade ago), La Sergenterie was the restaurant - with bar nearby.
ski holidays
[quote="pam w"]P/quote]

are you leaving from Le Havre?
snow conditions
Not booked a channel crossing yet, @DaveD, but almost certainly eurotunnel to Calais. The ferry is cheaper but such a faff in comparison.
snow report
@pam w, just don't use P&O - I had misfortune to use them last year, a ticket carried forward from summer 2020 booked before Covid and their restructure, and the service was shocking. No food, half the facilities closed, late.

I don't care how cheap they are, I won't use them again
snow conditions
I think I'm going to treat myself to the tunnel, @Boris. I can drive 100 miles in the extra faff for the ferry!!
latest report
I always considered the ferry a good chance to have a break from the UK driving stretch, and to have breakfast/dinner, prior to the long haul down France. I'd only consider the tunnel if making for a 6-7pm stopover in France (or 11pm motel). But that's just me. Smile
snow report
@crosbie, Indeed and we have used ferries in past. I was looking forward to a fry-up after an early start, only to discover they no longer do proper breakfasts and had some rather manky (and expensive) bacon rolls.

Other ferry options are available of course
ski holidays
Quote:

I always considered the ferry a good chance to have a break from the UK driving stretch, and to have breakfast/dinner, prior to the long haul down France.

I've booked a tunnel at 1120 so civilised departure from home near Portsmouth. I shall have marmalade sandwich and a hot coffee ready when I leave home and will have a late lunch an hour or so down the autoroute towards Reims. 35 minutes doze on the train is enough of a break from driving for me - especially if I've already been sitting an hour in the queue to get on. I always stop every two hours on the long drive - I don't think it's safe to let yourself drone on auto-pilot for much longer than that. But I never stop for long. Loo, coffee, a snack, and I'm back on the road. Next chapter of the audiobook.
snow report
@pam w, given you're near Portsmouth, have you ever considered a 24hr Ferry for an hour's drive to Alto Campoo (via Santander), or for 2 hours to Valdezcaray (via Bilbao)? Admittedly, probably not that good skiing compared to the Alps, but it's an alternative.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy