Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre or nearby for young family.

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of DIY for next year. We can get good flights to Turin. Anyone got recommendations for Montgenevre family hotel or self catering. Would also be happy to consider resorts on the Italian side especially if good value.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, we are heading to Montgenevre a week Friday (24th) staying in Chalet Blue Shutter booked via Go-Montgenevre. I'll let you know what it is like when I get back. Which flights did you get as we had a right pain booking ours.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Rosiere is a great family friendly resort. We've done that a couple of times. You can ski over to Italy (La Thuile), although there is a massively long poma to get there....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. We are looking at Jet 2. Edi to Turin.
Will be very interested in how you get on. Will check out Go - Montgenevre as not seen that during research
Thanks eps for La Rosiere tip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks both. We are looking at Jet 2. Edi to Turin.
Will be very interested in how you get on. Will check out Go - Montgenevre as not seen that during research
Thanks eps for La Rosiere tip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@eps, They'd be better off in La Thuile from Turin. La Ros is a huge drive.
Maurienne valley is a short drive as an alternative but if going at half term I'd stick with Italy.
Aosta valley resorts are all good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going end of January. A shorter transfer is probably a very good idea. Any good family hotels you’d recommend as it would be great to have a rest from cooking. Three children age 10 8 and 4. …
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar wrote:
@eps, They'd be better off in La Thuile from Turin. La Ros is a huge drive.
Maurienne valley is a short drive as an alternative but if going at half term I'd stick with Italy.
Aosta valley resorts are all good.

It might save 10 minutes driving, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend La Thuile for a family. La Rosiere, which it links to, is a much more family friendly resort. I think they're both quite a drive from Turin and personally, if possible, I would try to avoid Turin airport, but if it's all that's on offer or a really good deal then that's what you've got.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It might save 10 minutes driving

eh? Driving from La Thuile to La Rosiere will take ages - you can ski between the two over the closed pass. La Thuile is not too bad a drive from Turin, and can be done on motorway
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But they would be driving from Turin to La Thuile or Turin to La Rosiere...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyway both look around 3 1/2 hours from Turin so probably not ideal anyway
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eps, I have just looked at google maps and see what might have happened. For both places google maps suggested a route via Albertville.... goodness knows why. Try viamichelin.com, which more sensibly gives Turin airport - La Thuile as less than 2 hours. Easier than driving Gva to the Tarentaise.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nowt wrong with Torino airport.

No details on what level of skiers. MontG has best blue selection of the Via Lattea resorts, all of which are in easy reach of Torino in a hire car. Italian side Sauze / Sestriere will have better food choices etc but more reds.
Aosta for Pila skiing also worth considering. Not as many Kms of piste but a nice resort and you can stay in Aosta town, or up the gondola in Pila village.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eps, As above It is much closer to La Thuile than to La Ros even if Google maps has a strange route I don't know if there is currently a road closure.
I personally know a couple of families who have been to La Thuile and found it family friendly.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah okay, no worries Smile I just know as a family we preferred La Rosiere to La Thuile, but we were staying in La Rosiere Smile
snow report
Mum and dad good skiers Children just started this year with a fantastic week in Austria They will need ski school and easy enough access to nursery slopes would be a bonus.
Now going to check out these Aosta resorts.
Thanks so much for your input.
snow conditions
Quote:

Pila should suit you quite well - but with kids I'd recommend staying up in the resort, not down in Aosta. Short, easy, drive from Turin.
snow report
Gobsmacked that nobody has suggested doing Snowbizz in Puy St Vincent.....
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
Gobsmacked that nobody has suggested doing Snowbizz in Puy St Vincent.....

Probably because it's that much further than Montgenevre, as well as Serre Chevalier.

As a few have pointed out if you have to go at Half Term then look at Italy.

Go-Montgenevre are also affiliated with Snow Cab, so they should also be able to sort out your all-important transfer.

And another +1 for Turin - I probably go there nigh on 5 or 6 times a year, though we do use Snow Cab whenever possible.
snow conditions
Thank you for snowcab suggestion. Very helpful
ski holidays
We’re off to Montgenevre on Sunday so can let you know how we find it. We’re travelling as a couple so no kids with us this time but it’s supposed to be a great resort for families. Staying at hotel Le Chalet Blanc.
ski holidays
Gufo wrote:
Mum and dad good skiers Children just started this year with a fantastic week in Austria They will need ski school and easy enough access to nursery slopes would be a bonus.
Thanks so much for your input.

Pila should be ideal for a week. shortest transfer from Torino of the Aosta valley resorts, and a reasonable size (there arent any mega connected resorts in Aosta Valley). They have a couple of ski schools. If you aren't to worried on nightlife then Pila hotel / apartment might be ideal, save a 5-10 min car journey and a 20 minute gondola ride up from Aosta to Pila each end of the day. It has a nursery area and a long blue that winds from top end of the resort to the bottom as well as other "all blue" connected routes, plus some nice reds to progress onto, plus some more challenging black and reds above the tree line for parents, its also fairly compact pretty easy to navigate around, to meet up after ski school etc.

Also going Italy over France gives you super food, better value and less crowds at half term.
ski holidays
eps wrote:
Ah okay, no worries Smile I just know as a family we preferred La Rosiere to La Thuile, but we were staying in La Rosiere Smile

Fair enough , incidentally for those interested in going to La Thuile Google maps appears to think you are going to a place directly on the St Bernardo pass rather than to the resort and has particularly bizarre routes. I looked a little more carefully as it is one of the places I am thinking of going to next week.
latest report
I found that too - google maps highly misleading at present. When actually doing an actual journey, rather than just mucking around on the internet, would always cross-check with viamichelin.
snow report
@pam w,
Yup, I was wondering if there was a road closure yesterday and didn't look closely but it's obviously just a strange destination choice.
ski holidays
Turin - La Thuile is still shown as 5 hours on google maps. Daft. Viamichelin.com, just 2. Milan to Cervinia, 2 hours 12 minutes.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Turin - La Thuile is still shown as 5 hours on google maps. Daft. Viamichelin.com, just 2. Milan to Cervinia, 2 hours 12 minutes.

Yup its because they don't think La Thuile is in La Thuile if you put in a hotel in La Thuile it gives a sensible route of 2 hrs 20 from Milan. If you just enter La Thuile it gives you a route through funny small roads to the top of the San Bernardo from France.
ski holidays
surferrosa wrote:
We’re off to Montgenevre on Sunday so can let you know how we find it. We’re travelling as a couple so no kids with us this time but it’s supposed to be a great resort for families. Staying at hotel Le Chalet Blanc.

hi there, how was Montgenevre? I"m planning a trip for Jan next year. I've booked flights already (landing in Turin). We are a family with 2 small kids (6y and 2y), so i'm currently tossing up Montgenevre and Puy St Vincent. I'm definitely open to other suggestions, but there seem to be so many places to choose from, it gets overwhelming!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ava1981, We absolutely loved it! In fact we've just booked to go back over New Years, taking the kids this time. The village is pretty quiet with a couple of pubs and a few restaurants but the skiing was really good and varied. Lots of tree lined runs which we love. My husband took group lessons with ESF and really rated them. The whole resort was so friendly and unpretentious. We stayed in a hotel which was lovely but it's too expensive for our next trip with the kids so we've booked an apartment through Go Montgenevre. We used Snow Cab for the transfers from Turin and they were great. PM me if you want anymore info...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy