Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Wildcat 82c or 76c (black)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience of either of the above? I'm a good intermediate female skier, more finesse than aggression, but will ski all day any conditions. I will get down any piste somehow. I have skied for about 30 weeks. The last ten years (weeks) have been on a 165cm Scott Maya all mountain which have been great. I have spent a lot of the last ten years getting (frankly) a bit bored; skiing with children and (improving and deteriorating!) family members. I hired an Elan Insomnia for a day when I last was away and really enjoyed the rebound feel so have decided to buy a piste ski. However, my local shop told me I should get all mountain. I ski 80% on piste and anything off is little tracks through trees, small bumps but never powder (as there is rarely any and I don't know what to do!).
I liked the feel of the Elan and after a grand circuit looking at various all mountain options (Santa Ana 84, Faction Dancer 1x, Elan Ripstick 88w) I have come full circle to these two. I think the 82 is probably the best fit but I soo like the black colour Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Anyone have experience of either ski and how well they fare if I decide to get more adventurous down the sides of the piste please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a pair of Elan Wingman 82tis, which I understand to be the men's equivalent model of the Wildcats and I really enjoyed skiing them for 2 weeks in Feb.

They were super easy to transition from one edge to another on pistes and I was able to get a really strong edge even on some of the steepest pisted runs in the resort, even when icy/hard packed.

Given that there's no definition of what an all mountain ski really is, it seems silly for your shop to really push you towards one. 82 underfoot really isn't that narrow, it could easily be considered a narrow or piste-focussed all mountain ski, rather than a wide piste ski, in my view.

I had no chance to test them off piste or in powder as there wasn't any fresh snow and a lot was melting.

Looking back, I wish I had tried a few runs with the left ski on the right foot and vice versa, to see how notable the asymmetric design feels.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. Glad you enjoyed your skis, there were some interesting conditions out there recently! With that in mind, I guess holding an edge on the hard steeps is probably more of a requisite than a bit of extra stability off piste for me at the moment. Having looked at my existing (rather old) 'all mountain' skis, they are only 76 wide and I have been very happy with them. I don't think I'm a good enough skier to notice a few millimetres difference anyway so I think the 76 Black might be my new toys!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy