Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season round up - one for those now done

Poster: A snowHead
OK - this is a bit premature since we still have Easter to go and we were on the hill in April last year in more than decent depths - the Grom on the Mind Expander tracking through the woods at Vercorin with a grin on his face and me picking up bites from shark fins behind him.

BUT….

Let’s start ‘this season’s round up’

Only for those who have done with skiiing this year - simple question - what was it like, what did you think of it all?…….
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 weeks in PdS Jan
1 week in GM Jan
1 week La Thuile ends today...

A great season for us*- plenty of snow on the whole, and about 4-5 days of too much lol. Had enough of GM for a bit, and wasn't hugely loving PdS. Need a new spot next year, we really need to try Austria.

*Old retired couple, late-to-the-game skiers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1 family long weekend in Les Gets (pre the January dump) : not great (but we love the town so a decent 4 days)
1 lads weekend in Flaine : 3rd time there, never again (not a patch on PdS, boring runs, uninspiring base, no decent restaurants other than L'Ancolie), it's sh*t
10 days in Meribel at HT : hadn't snowed for 4 weeks but we love the 3Vs so another ace holiday (we also went to to the Mens Slalom at Le Praz)

Not a memorable season but nothing beats a few days in the Alps.

Next : 3 week self-drive tour of the Italian Lakes, the Salzkammergut lakes and Val di Fassa in July / August.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Training week at Kaprun at the beginning of December (Skivolution)
2. Club Med Grand Massif for the third week in Jan
3. 3V Courchevel Le Praz last week (Singlesport and Skivo2 chalet)

Conditions on the glacier in December were pretty good. Not busy. No white-out days. Hotel Antonius was fab.

Lucked out at GM. The week before there was no snow and the resort was closed. There was a backup plan to go to the Villandry club, but it snowed a few days before departure so the GM club reopened. Then it dumped big-time over the weekend at the start of the trip and we had great conditions. Cederick our ESF guide showed us a great time.

3V is high-enough to be snow-sure. Yes it was scraped in places. Eclipse was almost unskiable for mere mortals. On one day we skied/slid gracefully down into Mottaret from Sauliere and watched as the beginners all fell over on the ice-sheet at the bottom. Best conditions that I found were at La Masse and above Reberty. Chez Alfred above Reberty provided the meal of the week. First three days had blue skies, last three days had weather. 1650 (Ariondaz and Gentiannes) provided deserted slopes with reasonable viz when upper Courchevel was thick fog and lower runs were crowded. On my last day the morning was rubbish (heavy snow, top lifts shut, strong winds) but Coqs chair and Loze drag were providing access to the Chenus sector so we went up there in the afternoon. For some reason everyone was turning right at the top, so we went left and found the Coqs run deserted and with lots of fresh show. Yeeha!

Transport: Lufthansa Birmingham to Munich and back in December. No delays going out, slight delay coming back as planes taking off from Munich had to be de-iced. Easy-jet Birmingham to Geneva and Jet2 the other way in January. No problems either way. Coach was delayed going up to Morillon due to the usual Problem of cars with summer tyres trying their luck and having to stop on the road in order to put chains on. Derby to St Pancras to Paris to Moutiers by EM Trains, Eurostar and Ouigo. Outbound went very smoothly. Yesterday’s journey back was more interesting because it was a strike day in France and there was also weather. The train left Moutiers 1 hour late, which was down to 50 mins at Paris. A 25 minute transfer between Paris stations meant I still got my Eurostar train. The two trains in France managed to beat the Eurostar direct service from Moutiers back to St Pancras. My train on the Paris Lille section passed the direct service as it was waiting to join the main line outside CdG airport.

Summary: Skiing in Europe is not dead yet
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So I come at this from a ski touring perspective in the PDS.

Late November, pretty decent start to the touring season. Ok snow and I managed probably half a dozen tours on grassy bottomed hills.

Then the precipitation event happened just before Xmas and that put an end to the touring around here unless you were prepared to tour on excessively busy pistes.

Dumpage around the middle of January and touring was on again although the base was a bit thin and the snow arrived with a lot of wind. Good skiing to be had generally though and cold temps kept the snow in ok nick.

Mid Feb and the temps rose. Spring snow on South faces? Nope because the base was so thin that the South faces melted back to grass.

By the beginning of March the only skiing left, was generally, skiing around on man made boiler plate dodging out of control skiers. Not for me. The recent snowfall does nothing for the off piste sadly. Touring season in the PDS effectively over by early March.

In short, the shortest touring season that I can remember.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 12-03-23 20:59; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@zzz, Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A mixed perspective - like @zzz I love my touring but now have 5 year old in tow so equally happy following him down Cowboys or Indiens runs in Les Gets and seeing him have so much fun…

1. New Year week (2-9th Jan) - PDS. Rubbish snow, fabulous week! It was a last minute trip to a friend’s place. We knew the snow wasn’t great but time in the mountains is rarely wasted so went anyway. Especially when you get to see your 5 year old son skiing with his 76 year old grandfather!

2. Last week Jan - PDS. Previous snowfall and cold temps had transformed the place. Snow still hanging on the trees and a wall to wall sunshine… as picture perfect as it can get. No off piste to speak of but brilliant piste skiing including the most memorable day on Mont Cherry lapping deserted, perfect pistes with good friends and family. Managed a day touring, very mediocre snow off piste but great to be out. And my son got his 1* ESF award Very Happy Very Happy

3. Long weekend start of March - PDS. Quiet pistes, wall to wall sunshine, hard in the mornings and a bit thin in places but still plenty of skiing and grateful to have got lucky again in an otherwise mixed season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Half term week with the kids in Morzine, unseasonably warm but a great weeks skiing. Seemed to find a few things this year that really made this week go well, quiet airports and flights on time both ways, great transfer company, kids had a great week with lessons and tried a few new restaurants.

Would have liked to sneak a long weekend but didn't pan out.

Starting to plan for next year already
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fair play for adding that the thread is a bit premature and we still have Easter etc to go. So all good.

However I can't pretend that I don't find these 'i've had my trip so the season is over' threads a bit frustrating.

We have such a long off season, so rather than start them in early March, let's just wait till the season is actually done.

Any way moan over - and it's not a dig at anyone as the caveats were put in the OP so fair play.

PS my Jan trip was awesome - managed to pick the week after the big Jan dump.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My season’s not yet over so shouldn’t really be here… but quite enjoying everyone else’s reports to this point! Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Skimum1, yeah to be fair me too Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Two experiments, I wrote trip reports.

Tried Formigal instead of Andorra just before Christmas, I don’t think we’ll go back. Great for early inters or locals wanting a long weekend, but they aren’t us. Didn’t help that Panticosa next door was closed for lack of snow.

Tried SkiWelt for Feb half term. Very warm weather (10-12C), crowded pistes and only artificial snow made it hard work but it certainly remains a contender for the future.

With my workload now I don’t see me getting another week this season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I only got one trip this season.

I was supposed to do two last minute trips to Europe, one in January one in February. Got to Christmas/New Year and pulled the plug on the January trip, booked for 2 weeks in Niseko Japan and scored great conditions.

Temperatures between -5 and -20 (ish) and for the 14 days we were on the hill it snowed every day during the 24hr period.

We had a couple of perfect bluebird mornings that we hiked to the peak and did a couple of laps, we had lower visibility days where it was knee deep and untracked on piste right under the main lift for those first off the chair... Toofy Grin.

We went to Rusutsu for a couple of amazing days in the trees and a bit quieter too.

We also did a day at Pars Powder Paradise, -15 and dumping at least waist deep, it could have been deeper but i didn't get down there. Skidoo ride up the hill, untracked tree run back down. Rinse and repeat.

Amazing food, lovely people and the sort of conditions that Europe doesn't see that often. It's my second trip there and it won't be the last - plans are afoot for 2025 already.

Second trip to Europe canned for obvious reasons, so the season is over for me.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 13-03-23 0:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1 week Morzine early Jan - sacked it off (our place so easy enough) and went to St Moritz instead. Absolutely superb- loved it there!

Grächen end of feb - perfect for families with little kids to pop in creche/ ski school whilst parents tackle some decent reds for a few hours. Snow was never slushy, well maintained. High enough to be safe from the impact of sun & rain.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rogg, your trip sounds amazing.
snow report
rogg wrote:
I only got one trip this season.

Second trip to Europe canned for obvious reasons, so the season is over for me.

So obvious that we don't know why it was canned... Puzzled
snow report
Just finished this afternoon. Three weeks in Tignes, three weeks in Banff.

The main theme of this season was cold. Lots of it, and extreme at times.

I feel so fortunate to spend so much time on snow, but a bit of warm sun wouldn’t go amiss just now to warm the old bones.

Roll on 2023/24.
snow conditions
Feb half term in les menuires

Poor snow, dog muck everywhere with new (old) deposits coming through daily as the snow on footpaths melted more

Food on mountain felt expensive this year

Apartment complex appeared to have not been cleaned since the season before

Uplift out of les menuires was difficult, bottlenecks galore in the mornings

However, when we got out and went to meribel and Val t we really enjoyed the skiing
snow conditions
Couple of weeks in japan. Epic - Deepest freshies I’ve ever had, lap after lap. Took touring gear but seeing as every day I was there I was getting the goods off the lifts I only went for a walk on one day.

Got home to 34 degrees stinking hot summer weather which sucked balls.

Then a cyclone rolled through (destroying half the country) but it also stuck 30-40cm of snow down on the local mountain and with touring gear not packed away from Japan I managed to get some nice mid summer turns in Very Happy

Unfortunately also have a re-destroyed shoulder from a recent heroic paddle through some sporty whitewater in a packraft, and really hoping it’s not a season over before it started thing for me. Got a couple of months to heal up so fingers crossed.
latest report
@hang11, from Southern Hemisphere but traveling also to northern hemisphere, do you consider there are seasons to start and end? Or is it just “I go skiing when I get time and the snow is good”?
snow conditions
@Orange200, i go as much as possible Very Happy don’t really look at it as seasons although I guess the southern hemi one is 5 months long if it’s a good one, and then just try to slot in some travel to break up the summer.
ski holidays
@hang11, …if touring (the new growth area of skiing) then you can capitalise on unseasonal snow. But there are indeed seasons - materially due to annual weather - and practical due to pisteur contracts and lift closure. When Nax is closed it’s closed. And of course for many there are school holidays which give a very limited window for when to go - and half term Feb a big target week for many, given uncertain Christmas cover.
snow conditions
2nd day in Tignes in December. Take a tumble in bad light. Detach tendon in shoulder. No skiing 'til 2024 Sad
snow report
1 week in La Thuile at the end of Jan, great skiing despite the conditions elsewhere in Europe. Great hotel, good food all in all a good week.

1 week towards the end of Feb in Cervinia, once again great skiing in a really good resort and one where I'll definitely go back - tip of the week is the White Agel hotel, door to door skiing and top notch all around.

Unfortunately on the last day I crashed, bust my knee and was stretchered off the mountain. After a visit to our A&E on my return I'm waiting on an appointment at orthopedics as an x-ray showed a very small fragment of bone in the knee joint.

So yes, I'm now done for the year.
ski holidays
New Year with the family in La Tania - icy and slushy all at once but managed to ski every day and back to the chalet down a very icy Folyeres (sharp edges a must!).

Half Term with the school in Prato Nevoso - hard base, a few patches and limited challenges but enjoyable all the same, OK resort for beginners not much else for anyone above intermediate

Bansko in late Feb - conditions varying from 10cm of fresh powder to chop by 11am. Incredibly busy with huge queues for the gondola by 7:45. Town like Tenerife of the 90s but more seedy, won't be back

Already booked flights for New Year 2024, just need to pick the resort!
latest report
Quote:
2nd day in Tignes in December. Take a tumble in bad light. Detach tendon in shoulder. No skiing 'til 2024
Ouch @ski. Wishing you well with your recovery. 5h1t happens Sad - as I've explained elsewhere on snowHead and will touch on below.
snow conditions
Wonder if the OP started this thread thinking of the one week a year skiers, not thinking of those whose season has been cut short!

Good luck all of you.
ski holidays
Our 2022-33 season was, sadly, curtailed prematurely a month ago as a result of Mrs MA breaking her leg skiing in Japan Sad So week-long trips that we'd booked to Tignes for this month and April are cancelled. Never mind - the main thing is to get the mrs sorted out.

Still, we'd had a great five months' skiing until the injury. We had some great snow home and abroad, and, in the Alps, thankfully saw nothing of the conditions of doom reported in the UK media. Season summarised as follows:

October 22 - Impulsive trip to Hintertux (3 days' skiing) after fresh snow. Conditions were great.

End November/start December - 1 day ski touring and 4 days on piste in Tignes. Some great fresh tracks.

December - 2 days' ski touring at Cairngorm. Lovely snow to Daylodge level - snow all the way down to Aviemore.

December - Short ski tour on very marginal snow (ie grass!) at Weardale ski area in the North Pennines.

December - Hiking/ski touring on the North York Moors. Lovely snow conditions next to Roseberry Topping (famous local peak).

December - Skiing at Yad Moss in the North Pennines. Some lovely snow cover in places and fun skiing.

January - 8 days of snowy skiing in Tignes. Some fantastic powder days.

January - A day at Weardale in the North Pennines. Thin cover but still fun skiing.

February - A day at Glencoe to test new fat skis. Conditions were perfect - fresh snow/packed powder.

February - 4 days of epic (waist to chest deep) cold, smoky powder on Hokkaido, Japan. Holiday curtailed due to injury.

Mrs MA is doing OK after her injury, remains very positive and, in the style of Arnie, says she'll be back Smile

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 14-03-23 22:17; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Wonder if the OP started this thread thinking of the one week a year skiers, not thinking of those whose season has been cut short!

Hmmm.... Puzzled
Quote:
Only for those who have done with skiiing this year - simple question - what was it like, what did you think of it all?…….
I'd say that the man on the Clapham omnibus would say it's open to all who are 'done with skiing this year,' irrespective of duration. Hence my entry above wink
latest report
@mountainaddict, brilliant gallery and grim about injury stopping play
snow report
I'm 45 2 school age kids and have other life to pay for as a result our season round up consists of a week a year ski holiday. That said we had a lovely week in Les Sybelles if a tad warm.
Jealous of all those pensioners but I don't wish my life away to get there.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm.... Puzzled
Quote:
I'd say that the man on the Clapham omnibus would say it's open to all who are 'done with skiing this year,' irrespective of duration. Hence my entry above wink

I’d say the man on the Clapham omnibus was right, it’s myself that hadn’t considered the two separate groups Smile
snow conditions
had a week in Les Menuires (last week). right next to carpet lift in La Croisette. Perfect for kids 1st ever ski trip.
Managed a morning of 3 valleys in 3 hours, up to and down and up and into Courchevel. Hit Creux. then back in time to pick up kids.

Point de la Masse a highlight. Paturages down from the top a fun run. Green Violette a great green for kids.
first 3 days sunny, no snow. last 3 days snowing. Friday - connection to 3V and VT shut.
Hot choc at Calet Sunny with kids a great memory.

seriously loved Les Men for the family. can't praise it enough.
the 3V is SO good.
ski holidays
Quote:
Jealous of all those pensioners but I don't wish my life away to get there
Fair dos @James77 - I'm one of them! (Workplace, not OAP wink)

Nothing any of us can do about advancing years, except remember the quote that memories are better than dreams and make the absolute most by getting out there (injuries permitting) on skis, on mountain bike or in hiking boots as much as possible. Or round the aisles of Ikea if that's more your thing Laughing

Quote:
brilliant gallery and grim about injury stopping play
Cheers @valais2
latest report
Not much this year, to be honest. We spent a lot of time in the Alps, though, as we're hammering out plans to renovate our new (old) farmhouse in the Aravis. December was a total bust; I got in about 9 days in February, my son had about 16 as he didn't need to, you know, work for a living. I did manage to spend quality time at some of the Haute Savoie stations I'd only barely gone to, including Les Contamines and Grand Massif (as well as Le Grand Bornand). I was particularly impressed with Les Contamines; less so with GM, although it technically is closest to us.

I'm already looking ahead to next year; planning on trying some easy ski rando (used or rent gear?) and would like to visit Combloux and LGB again (provided, you know, it actually snows...). And maybe an overnight to Les Arcs to visit friends.
ski holidays
Lucky timing for us.

1. mid January - Glencoe (day trip)
- perfect snow, sunshine and cold temperatures, quiet pistes, fortunately coincided with a midweek day off, and the day before our next trip...

2. mid / late January - Portes du Soleil & Praz de Lys (9 days skiing), France
- arrived at the end of the biggest low-level snowfall of the season. Clouds parted on the morning of our first day skiing, then over a week of cold, sunny weather and near-perfect snow conditions

3. early March - 9 ski areas in & around the Valtellina (10 days skiing), Italy
- excellent piste conditions thanks to artificial snowmaking & mostly coolish temperatures, despite thin off-piste coverage. >90% pistes open, no wind issues, mostly sunny weather, while almost all other parts of the Alps were affected by rain / wind / poor visibility / lift closures. Big snow / rain event the day after we flew home which looks to have damaged many of the lower runs.

Appreciate this is not a good representation of wider conditions across the Alps.
snow report
First time for family in Grand Massif. Went Feb half term but was a week later than most of the UK so clashed with the dreaded Paris week.

Stayed in Morillon Les Esserts (1100) - lovely small place but not enough snow for kids to play outside the door and make the usual igloo. Great restaurants and bars but not for hard core apres. Very 'family'.

Thought GM was great:

Sairon blue home has to be up there with one of the best blues around
Easy to navigate around once you (quite quickly) get your bearings
Had to pay 1 Euro for piste map - only needed one for the week so didn't mind as it's about sustainable skiing
Marvel (Europe's best green run?) was lovely but very thin snow at start (almost like cling film over green/brown floor)
Thanks to climate change and unseasonal warmth, the rock hard pistes softened up for great skiing between 10.30am-3pm
No real off-piste this year so kids had to make do with air bags and snowparks
Worst lift queue to get to Flaine was 30 mins - must have got out timing wrong as it only took 15 the previous time.......meant we only went over to Flaine twice as really couldn't be bothered
Les Carroz had the most lovely slopes in my opinion out of all the 'villages' - if we went again, would maybe stay there
Found reds less congested than blues - which I thought was a bit odd
End of Marmottes blue getting home (to get to Tete de Saix/Molliets chairlifts) was a suicide run after 2pm - picture (huge) chopped up moguls, ski schools, lots of skiers, bodies everywhere - we all split up to pick our individual preferred way down
Legs hurt more than last year....
latest report
@kettonskimum, I would agree with you about Sairon. For some reason even though it was slushy it skiied really well in half term. And also that the Les Carroz runs are quite nice. I was less enamored with other parts of the GM, including Marmottes and the runs off Tete de Saix. What in the world was happening on Marmottes? It was like a lemming suicide mission.

Anyway, I am willing to give GM another chance when there's more snow. This year was such an anomaly (I hope) that I'm grading on a curve...
snow conditions
@Pasigal, ….more on the ‘lemming suicide mission’ - what was happening?

we didn’t see more accidents on CH but I don’t think we reached ‘critical density’ since locals tend not to hit the hill when there are bad conditions….
ski holidays
@valais2, OK....felt the usual sadness turning the handle on the garage - click - and driving down the hill. That's it. Season 22-23 done for us.

What an incredible last week for us. No snow driving over the Jura, unlike last Easter, but arriving after the big dump of two weeks' ago meant fine conditions on piste, and crunchy but fun conditions off-piste. Best week of the season. Avi 4 for the first few days, so it was piste skiing for us, but definitely first lift to last lift - then a coffee to unwind. Vercorin, Chandolin and St Luc, Zinal, Grimentz, Anzere. HUGE slide at the back of St Luc. Hard corduroy every morning, but only a short pm period of porridge lower down.

A few highlights...the four 70-somethings with axes and ropes and ancient skis heading off into the back country from the top of St Luc. The early morning glinting crystals on the snow pack. The second-best rosti in the Valais at Vercorin. My training regarding hip position paying off and my back therefore holding up rather than giving me gyp. The laconic woman from Basel who answered my question to Anthony: 'why the hell is there a picture of a squirrel on that pylon' with 'because there's a picture of a rabbit on the next one'. Not crapping out my reverse camber Mantras on rocks and stones - because the hill actually had snow on it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy