Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski condition in first week of April - learner

Poster: A snowHead
Code:
Hi! Blush
I’m learning how to ski and I’m confident that if I take another trip this year, I will learn it! However, I have been slammed at work and couldn’t afford to take time off. But the project is ending end of March. I’ve been researching and got mixed answers of whether it’s too late to ski in Dolomiti Superski.

I’ve stayed in the Selva, plan de Gralba areas in the past two years and the latter is great for its walking distance the ski lifts (I’m petite so it’s not as easy to carry the ski and walking in skiboots) With instructor, I’m comfortable with the challenges in those areas.

Is Corvara of similar level for a learner? someone from this website mentioned Colletes, who does airport transfer, which I need. But I’d like to get your expert and unbiased advice here about the historic snow conditions and skill level. I understand the higher up Arabba would be in good condition but I’m sure it’s to advance for me.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Patty ^^
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reports from Dolomites right now are that its slushy. I would just wait and choose your accommodation closer to the time when you know what is open. Should be loads of accommodation available at that time of year. I have skied Corvara and from recollection the pistes are gentle enough and would be fine for a beginner, but I suspect it might close pistes quicker than Selva.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads, @Pattyjc, snowHead But "being petite" is no excuse - you can use small skis and boots!! There are probably better destinations than the Dolomites for early April - higher altitude resorts. But yes, it is a lovely area.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Corvara is a great place with great access to the slopes and was there this Feb but the slopes are not high and many of them are very sunny, it would not be on my list for April particularly if I had to stay in the area, access to Arraba which has a lot more north facing stuff is good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd be thinking of going to Tignes or Val d'Isere, and taking lessons all week with one of the excellent ski schools there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or Cervinia if you are committed to Italy in particular. But I'd also be happy to wait until shortly beforehand and see what conditions are like and if they're good you'll be fine in Dolomites. As a beginner optimum snow isn't as important as for others.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so much everyone for your responses. You make me feel very welcome!

The only reason I would like to stay in dolomite is that the instructors there are generally good from my experience. I’ve been to megeve but that’s way over my budget. The instructor that I had at Verbier and kitzbühel weren’t as engaging. (Probably my luck!). I read Arraba is for advance skiers and facing north, the slopes tend to be icy? That frightens me Eh oh!

I will look into schools at Tignes and Cervinia. Thanks so much again everyone. Have a lovely weekend.

Ps Hi Pam, haha ok I’m admittedly not that fit either and I’m going solo this time, so I’m being extra cautious and I don’t quite trust myself just yet.Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hate carrying skis around, @Pattyjc, especially uphill - my excuse is that I'm old.

If you end up going to Tignes or Val d'Isere be sure to check here for instructor recommendations. choice of instructor makes all the difference. Yes, Megeve is expensive all round, and it's not a good bet for late season anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pattyjc, if Italy is your choice then +1 for Cervinia.
Livigno another possibility?

Not sure I’d recommend Tignes. Although the snow is likely to be good, if you’re concerned that Arabba’s slopes could be too challenging then I doubt Tignes would calm that concern.

In France, La Plagne/Les Arcs might suit better.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, thanks so much for letting me know about Tignesa do the alternatives. More options to research now. Good that I have you guys. Thanks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're with an instructor, @Pattyjc, whether in Arabba or Selva or Tignes, they will ensure you are on suitable slopes. It's one of the great advantage of having lessons - you are relieved of that responsibility. After lesson time you can stick to the same slopes. There are plenty of suitable areas for beginners in Tignes and Val d'Isere. And I dare say in Arabba too - though I did find some slopes there, which seemed to be somewhat inescapable, to be tricky at the end of the day. But if you stick to somewhere like Corvara (which would be great) and the snow is a bit slushy/challenging your instructor will help you cope with it. Given you are on your own, being somewhere where you know you'll enjoy the wider ambiance and feel comfortable is very important.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There’s that huge ski tranquil area of green runs in Tignes, accessible by bubble
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pattyjc, if carrying skis is hard work, pay for a locker at the base station, a walk to and from your accommodation will give you a gentle warm up and down each way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, so many tips! You guys rock, really!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
attyjc, if carrying skis is hard work, pay for a locker at the base station, a walk to and from your accommodation will give you a gentle warm up and down each way.
Thats excellent advice , u can also store ski boots, poles, extra clothes if very cold etc
snow report
+1 for Cervinia, high altitude better for late season imo.

In my experience I think you'll find skiing in italy generally much less intimidating than France, particularly as a beginner (in terms of how busy the slopes are and how many idiots come blasting past you out of control).

That said you can't beat the Dolomites for scenery, and it'd be perfect for morning skiing, late lunch and afternoon sunbathing snowHead Dolomites also cheaper than Cervinia for most things, at least it was the last time I looked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy