Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing for years but now planning our first trip to ski/snowboard in Europe. Need your help.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

We live in the U.S., and have been skiing in Tahoe (Northstar, Squaw/Palisades) and Mammoth, which are closest to us, for years. We have two kids and it has been super convenient to go somewhere reachable by car. By now, kids are comfortable on black runs plus it's getting boring to go the same route a year after year, so we think that next year, instead of buying a season pass and driving to Tahoe and Mammoth every other week, like we always did, we would go on a ski trip to Europe.

I hope you can help me by narrowing down our options, because I have spent a lot of time on this forum and information is just piling up in my head.
Here is what we are looking for (in no particular order):
1) Large enough to ski for five days and not to repeat same runs too often, but not too large for our teenager, who prefers to snowboard in peace alone, to end up in another country.
2) Plenty of intermediate and black runs.
3) Suitable both for skiing and snowboarding
4) Enough snow in the first part of January
5) If several mountains connected, moving between them via lifts/trams, not buses
6) A village with lodging options close enough to walk to the lift.
7) Accessible by train/and bus from a major airport, like Munich, Zurich, etc.
Cool Not poshy, not very expensive, family oriented, with traditional vibe and traditional food options.
9) Good cell coverage on the mountain to find each other if we get lost
10) Being able to communicate in English (I know Italian just a tiny bit but don't know German)

An extra question: is too much hassle to bring our skis and a snowboard with us? Because we would like to bring our own, if it's not a crazy idea.

I highly appreciate any word of advice. And if you have questions about skiing in California, I'll be happy to share what I know.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are currently in 3 vallees (Val thorens, meribel, Courchevel) using our epic pass which has reciprocal coverage for 7 days (would work if you ski north star, heavenly etc at home). Big area, so wouldn’t get bored (we are used to Vail and whistler and it has been perfect for us), easy transfer from Geneva by bus, and Val thorens is the highest resort, so as snow sure as you can be at the moment. Not as attractive as meribel, but small, easy to walk to lifts, and not too posh. I’ve given up speaking in French as everyone instantly replies in English, so you would be fine. Definitely one to consider. Bring your own skis etc. no problem at all.

Kirsty
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ketya77, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

As @ksb76 says if you have an Epic (or Ikon) annual pass with some reciprocal coverage in some European resorts that may affect your decision making. The 3 valleys in France which they mentioned is a very large area with more than enough skiing/snowboarding to keep you satisfied. Alternatively if you're not bothered about going to resorts that may be covered on your US annual season pass (if you have any) then some other options would be flying into Munich and getting a train transfer to the Zillertal valley in Austria or flying into Venice and getting a bus transfer to the Sella Ronda in the Italian Dolomites (another huge ski area) with stunning scenery, mountain restaurants with great local food (and Italian coffee and hot chocolate!) and great value. If you fly into Venice you could also add on a day sightseeing there at the start or end of your trip (if that appeals). Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Save money & go to Whistler instead.... or Japan.
Europe is overrated.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ksb76 wrote:
We are currently in 3 vallees (Val thorens, meribel, Courchevel) using our epic pass which has reciprocal coverage for 7 days (would work if you ski north star, heavenly etc at home). Big area, so wouldn’t get bored (we are used to Vail and whistler and it has been perfect for us), easy transfer from Geneva by bus, and Val thorens is the highest resort, so as snow sure as you can be at the moment. Not as attractive as meribel, but small, easy to walk to lifts, and not too posh. I’ve given up speaking in French as everyone instantly replies in English, so you would be fine. Definitely one to consider. Bring your own skis etc. no problem at all.

Kirsty

Hello Kirsty, thank you for your reply! We have Ikon passes. Ikon includes Chamonix, Zermatt, Dolomiti, and Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ketya77, with the Ikon pass then it would have to be Dolomiti - the Sella Ronda as mentioned above. Fantastic area with something for everyone, and very, very beautiful. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
@ketya77, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

As @ksb76 says if you have an Epic (or Ikon) annual pass with some reciprocal coverage in some European resorts that may affect your decision making. The 3 valleys in France which they mentioned is a very large area with more than enough skiing/snowboarding to keep you satisfied. Alternatively if you're not bothered about going to resorts that may be covered on your US annual season pass (if you have any) then some other options would be flying into Munich and getting a train transfer to the Zillertal valley in Austria or flying into Venice and getting a bus transfer to the Sella Ronda in the Italian Dolomites (another huge ski area) with stunning scenery, mountain restaurants with great local food (and Italian coffee and hot chocolate!) and great value. If you fly into Venice you could also add on a day sightseeing there at the start or end of your trip (if that appeals). Madeye-Smiley

We are Ikon pass holders. In Europe, Ikon includes Zermatt, Chamonix, Kitzbuhel, Dolomiti, and Grandvalira in Andorra. Dolomiti looks wonderful but flights from San Francisco to Venice are always more expensive and with more stops than, for example, Munich or Zurich. It would be nice to have a non-stop flight, especially if we bring skis with us.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gored wrote:
Save money & go to Whistler instead.... or Japan.
Europe is overrated.

We want to experience European charm. Happy Everybody is saying how nice European ski resorts are compared to American. Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ketya77, @gored is a troll. Ignore it, for your own sanity!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just wanted to add:
If to consider places included in the Ikon pass (Zermatt, Chamonix, Kitzbuhel, Dolomiti, and Grandvalira) I wonder which meet more of our criteria than the others. If none of them really meet them, we can skip the pass for the next season.
Also, we will be limited by spending no more than a week, maybe 8 days on the trip, so the longer it'll take for us to get to the destination, with connected flights, trains, buses, the less we'll have to ski.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Convenience and price might be the battle here - possibly your best bets are St Anton or Kitzbuhel, convenient from Zurich and Munich respectively. Neither are cheap. I found Kitz (or even Kircherg for slightly better value) the more charming!

Italy will be cheaper probably. But Austria is a lot of fun. Very Happy

Edited to add - the area next to Kitzbuhel, the Ski Welt, might be a touch cheaper, and you can get day add ons to Kitz which would give you a massive area to ski. The resorts around there are really well connected, only one 5 min bus between Kitz and Ski Welt.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ElzP wrote:
Convenience and price might be the battle here - possibly your best bets are St Anton or Kitzbuhel, convenient from Zurich and Munich respectively. Neither are cheap. I found Kitz (or even Kircherg for slightly better value) the more charming!

Edited to add - the area next to Kitzbuhel, the Ski Welt, might be a touch cheaper, and you can get day add ons to Kitz which would give you a massive area to ski. The resorts around there are really well connected, only one 5 min bus between Kitz and Ski Welt.

Which do you think would get more checks on my list - Kitzbuhel/Kircherg or Dolomiti?
I am not sure if the Ski Welt would be included with the Ikon Pass. It says "Kitzbuhel (Kitzbühel, Kirchberg and Mittersill)"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Enough snow in early Jan is a big constraint depending on what you aspire to.

Also depends what you mean by blacks. In Europe these are all groomers ( think something like Zachs at Kirkwood as the extreme) and typical Tahoe blacks would be off piste terrain with all the attendant safety issues. If you're all good with beeps, shovels and probes and making smart decisions you might find the same thing otherwise you may need a guide budget.

In short expect more groomer skiing and/ or ersibal responsibility
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kitz or surroundings, given the train/bus and that the area offers slightly less chance of your son ending up in entirely the wrong valley and having a very expensive taxi home. Laughing

Piste map: https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/kitzski-kitzbuehelkirchberg/trail-map/

If you feel you need more, then you can always get a day add on for Ski Welt if you fancy it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 10-03-23 9:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With the criteria you mention St Anton jumps out as being a great option.
Good size ski area, good train connections, Good black run skiing, plenty of English spoken though an Austrian/International vibe.

I love the Dolomites but they don't have a mass of black runs if that's what the teenagers want.
latest report
@ketya77, the only places I know that are covered by your Ikon pass are Zermatt and Chamonix (less well). For most of your criteria I would think the Dolomites or Austria would work well but I wonder about snow coverage in January? Those that know those areas well can maybe help with that. Zermatt meets the snow coverage criteria, is beautiful, has the Matterhorn and oozes charm BUT could never be described as inexpensive although children 9 and under ski for free which not many places offer, and there are reasonable hotels/apartments available. Chamonix is a lovely town but does really require a car to get between the various disconnected ski areas or quite a bit of time on a bus. That bothers some people, others not so much.
snow report
ElzP wrote:

Seconded
If you're not going to have an Ikon Pass then I'd suggest flying into Zurich and there's a high speed Railjet train service from Zurich main train station (Hauptbahnhof) to St. Anton (Zurich airport has its own train station which has frequent connecting services that go to Zurich Hauptbahnhof). If you are getting an Ikon pass then I'd suggest flying into Munich and then train to Kitzbuhel (Munich airport has its own S-Bahn (light railway station), the S8 line will take you to Munich Ostbahnhof or further on to the Munich Hauptbahnhof, from either of these stations you'll be able to get trains to Kitzbuhel.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Also depends what you mean by blacks. In Europe these are all groomers

Unless things have changed the ski routes in St Anton and also places like Verbier are not groomers and are basically like black runs and often were labelled as such 40 odd years ago.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
ElzP wrote:

Seconded
If you're not going to have an Ikon Pass then I'd suggest flying into Zurich and there's a high speed Railjet train service from Zurich main train station (Hauptbahnhof) to St. Anton (Zurich airport has its own train station which has frequent connecting services that go to Zurich Hauptbahnhof). If you are getting an Ikon pass then I'd suggest flying into Munich and then train to Kitzbuhel (Munich airport has its own S-Bahn (light railway station), the S8 line will take you to Munich Ostbahnhof or further on to the Munich Hauptbahnhof, from either of these stations you'll be able to get trains to Kitzbuhel.

Thank you. How big is the chance not to have snow in Kitzbuhel or St Anton in the first or second week of January?
snow report
ketya77 wrote:

Thank you. How big is the chance not to have snow in Kitzbuhel or St Anton in the first or second week of January?

I'd say neither is likely not to have snow in the first or second week of January but St. Anton will be more snow secure.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
ketya77 wrote:

I'd say neither is likely not to have snow in the first or second week of January but St. Anton will be more snow secure.

Agreed. Worth remembering that there is almost 100% snow making coverage in Kitz, and probably close to that in the Arlberg - piste skiing will be possible whatever.
ski holidays
scotsgirl wrote:
@ketya77, the only places I know that are covered by your Ikon pass are Zermatt and Chamonix (less well). For most of your criteria I would think the Dolomites or Austria would work well but I wonder about snow coverage in January? Those that know those areas well can maybe help with that. Zermatt meets the snow coverage criteria, is beautiful, has the Matterhorn and oozes charm BUT could never be described as inexpensive although children 9 and under ski for free which not many places offer, and there are reasonable hotels/apartments available. Chamonix is a lovely town but does really require a car to get between the various disconnected ski areas or quite a bit of time on a bus. That bothers some people, others not so much.

Both kids are over 9.

I didn't realize that we can end up planning the whole trip but then not to have enough snow coverage. We got spoiled by having Mammoth nearby. I am not talking about this season when they have almost 600 inches of snow but in any year there was enough to use a big part of the lifts.
latest report
if you stick in Icon pass then
Kitzbühel is lovely, but if there is enought snow, is a little bit tricky. And is relativ low
Instead of Kitz in Austria is much better St. Anton with the whole arlberg area. However not in Icon pass.

Chamonix is a must in Europe, however the ski areas are not connected each other. There are some nice black slopes but i dont know if it is worth it for someone who comes from outside EU
Zermatt is probably the best option in Icon Pass but is one of the most expensive resorts in Europe....however expensive is subjectiv from person to person

Dolomites Area is one of the most beautifull places for skiing in Europe. There are some black slopes, and the some nice excursions to add to your bucket such as the War tour etc (https://lagazuoi.it/EN/Experience-Winter-page9-The-Great-War-Ski-Tour), and for the kids the Sella Ronda is also a nice challenge.
However if you will go there you have to have in mind that this area is famous for piste skiing and artificial snow. If you want to go outside the slope, powder etc then better St.Anton or somewehere else (keep in mind that the area outside the slopes in Europe is not controlled for avalanches etc as in the USA)
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Enough snow in early Jan is a big constraint depending on what you aspire to.

Also depends what you mean by blacks. In Europe these are all groomers ( think something like Zachs at Kirkwood as the extreme) and typical Tahoe blacks would be off piste terrain with all the attendant safety issues. If you're all good with beeps, shovels and probes and making smart decisions you might find the same thing otherwise you may need a guide budget.

In short expect more groomer skiing and/ or ersibal responsibility

Thank you. I didn't know that. Do you mean any area besides groomed runs is closed for access unless you are with a guide?

By the way, are there a lot of snowboarders? or mostly skiers? Is it crowdy compared to Tahoe? Should we expect long lines to the lifts?
ski holidays
When we say about Zermatt as expensive, what is more expensive there than, let's say, in Kitzbuhel or Dolomiti? I mean, the ski pass will be free because of the Ikon pass, so it is lodging and food?
latest report
Chamonix and Zermatt are both superb, but mist accommodation is not very convenient, busses needed to lifts
snow conditions
Quote:

Do you mean any area besides groomed runs is closed for access unless you are with a guide

In North America, the whole ski area is open for skiing unless explicitly closed. In Europe, once you are off the marked posts, you are offpiste and taking risks you need to be able to cover. While the pisteurs can and probably will rescue you should anything happen, off piste is not patrolled, and not made avalanche safe unless any slide is likely to affect a piste. This means you need to be MUCH more aware of terrain when skiing away from groomed pistes. Many resorts have "ski routes" or "itineraries" which are essentially ungroomed posts that are marked and patrolled, but there's usually a couple of these in any given resort, compared to dozens of groomed pistes. Note that by "groomed pistes" i mean pistes that are marked, most of which will be regularly groomed: but not every pistee will be groomed every day and some (e.g black pistes) will be left for most of or even the whole season
Note also that single / double black diamond equate roughly to red / black in Europe
latest report
@ketya77, off the piste isn't avalanche controlled, so it's at your own risk - and better to have all the correct kit and/or a guide. St A and Zermatt - and Kitz I think has a couple - have itineraries which as I understand it are ungroomed but in bounds.

Of course if there isn't enough snow you'll be on piste anyway (there will be snow, but for many of us enough just means good piste conditions!)

Food and lodging more expensive in Zermatt - but it's all relative. Sometimes a really nice half board option can give a much better experience and value - I think Austria excels at this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ketya77 wrote:
When we say about Zermatt as expensive, what is more expensive there than, let's say, in Kitzbuhel or Dolomiti? I mean, the ski pass will be free because of the Ikon pass, so it is lodging and food?

Lodging and food will both be more expensive than most other resorts. That said with the strength of the dollar you may not notice it as much as we Brits and it's a fabulous place to ski.
snow conditions
nbt wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean any area besides groomed runs is closed for access unless you are with a guide

In North America, the whole ski area is open for skiing unless explicitly closed. In Europe, once you are off the marked posts, you are offpiste and taking risks you need to be able to cover. While the pisteurs can and probably will rescue you should anything happen, off piste is not patrolled, and not made avalanche safe unless any slide is likely to affect a piste. This means you need to be MUCH more aware of terrain when skiing away from groomed pistes. Many resorts have "ski routes" or "itineraries" which are essentially ungroomed posts that are marked and patrolled, but there's usually a couple of these in any given resort, compared to dozens of groomed pistes. Note that by "groomed pistes" i mean pistes that are marked, most of which will be regularly groomed: but not every pistee will be groomed every day and some (e.g black pistes) will be left for most of or even the whole season
Note also that single / double black diamond equate roughly to red / black in Europe

Thank you so much. Didn't know any of that. Then it is now clear that we are interested in red runs, as I meant U.S. single blacks, not double.
ski holidays
@ketya77, I think it would be helpful if you gave a bit more detail about the sort of slopes you like to ski/board.

To be very clear, in general only the pistes are avalanche controlled in Europe. And that means exactly that, only the actual piste. If you move even 1 meter off the groomed trail (as you should call it) it is defined as off-piste, is not avalanche controlled, and you are responsible for your own safety. That is not to say, however, that we only ski "groomers", Many here, including me, do a huge amount of off-piste. But it does involve having the right equipment (transceiver, avalanche pack, shovel. probe), have the requisite training so you know how to use it (no small thing), and either using a guide or being very knowledgeable on how to judge conditions and routes (an even bigger thing). Off-piste is NOT patrolled, you would be responsible for arranging rescue if something goes wrong. Some areas have "itineraries" that are frequently skied and may (or may not) be avalanche controlled.

Let us know a bit more about what kind of slopes you are all looking for and we can probably give you more insightful answers.

Also if I were you I would put the cultural aspects higher on your list of priorities! You have great skiing close to home, but you can't experience a long lunch in an Italian Refugio for example! Or a Michelin star restaurant on the slopes. And many other aspects. If it is a one-off trip maybe make it as different as possible from what you normally do?
latest report
Quote:

for the kids the Sella Ronda is also a nice challenge.

It's a lovely way to spend a day and see something of a stunningly beautiful area but, to be honest, it is not a "challenge" in technical terms to a competent skier.

After the shocking start to this season in many parts of the Alps, with heavy rain to high altitude, I don't think anybody is going to stick their neck out and guarantee you good snow for off-piste (or even on-piste) in many places in the Alps. And if there's heavy snow high lifts could be closed for some days, and visibility shocking.

It's not compulsory to have a guide for European off piste, but once off the piste you are in uncontrolled, avalanche, territory so if you are not suitably knowledgeable and equipped, it can be a problem. In just one week in early January you are certainly not guaranteed good snow for off piste excursions, even with a guide. Unless spending a week skiing groomed slopes, possibly with a fair bit of artificial snow, appeals you might need to re-think.

Reading this thread makes me feel overwhelmed at the thought of planning such a trip for just a week. The areas being discussed have little in common with each other except some snow. You might have to prioritise your wish-list to enable people to give you better advice. Comparing the Three Valleys to Kitzbuhel to Chamonix to the Dolomites is comparing chalk and cheese, apples and bananas.

One positive point - in early January most places will not be very busy unless lack of snow means some sectors are closed.
latest report
@ketya77, Both St Anton & Kitzbühel would seem to fit what you want, St Anton sounds a better fit in terms of skiing but Kitzbühel is pretty good too. A highlight of the season in Kitzbühel is the Hahnenkamm ski race which takes place in mid January so maybe that would be the same time as your visit (it does not interfere with recreational skiing). St Anton is probably more reliable for snow (the Arlberg area of which St Anton is part is just about the snowiest part of the alps, it includes Zürs, Lech & Warth all linked by lift). If you are looking for ungroomed runs then St Anton is definitely better. As mentioned above, in Europe, most pistes are groomed, anything outside of the pistes (this includes any powder at the side of the piste) is neither groomed or secured, you are responsible for yourself (though no issue getting rescued if needed). The concept of "in bounds" does not exist, you ski where you wish but the resort is only responsible for pistes (but see below)

St Anton & a number of other resorts have a half way house between piste & off piste called ski routes or itineraries The exact status of these is often unclear and varies from place to place (in terms of marking, avalanche safety etc) but in the Arlberg the status is that the routes are checked & secured along the line of poles marking the route. Most of the routes are ungroomed but some normally are eg Schindlerkar & Langerzug (which claims to be the steepest groomed run in Austria). To me this sounds like what you are looking for. Plenty of Americans around, no issue speaking English. Plenty of snowboarders. A possible downside can be the crowds though that is much less of an issue in mid January (keep away from New Year & high season in February, the second week in January used to be very busy, it is Russian New Year but for obvious reasons no longer an issue!). St Anton is also a big party place which may or may not be of interest to your kids Very Happy

Access is straight forward fly into Zürich, train connection from Zürich to a station in the centre of the village (the main lift is less than 5 minutes walk) road transfer easy too. Accommodation (including apartments) best booked through the tourist office website https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/home , they will have zero issues communicating in English (same pretty much everywhere).

The Dolomities are very beautiful have endless piste skiing and great food but off piste / powder is not a strong point and access not so straight forward. Other options might be Verbier or Zermatt (both easy from Geneva or Zürich)
snow report
if you want to stick in Icon pass then if you can afford it , Zermatt. If the ski pass is inclued then you have to find accommodation. ANd i have no idea what is expensive for your standards.
Otherwise between Kitz and Dolomite i vote for the second.
If we are talking outside icon pass, probably Verbier or St. Anton

By the way ... Dolomites Area is a skiing secure area, but not snow secure. Meaning you will with relative high probability find almost 100% of the 1.200 slopes open in January, but beside the slopes could be from 50 cm to 0 cm of snow.

However the aritificial snow system and the grooming in this place is probably the best in EU
ski holidays
Quote:

Also depends what you mean by blacks. In Europe these are all groomers

In Italy and much of Austria this is possibly true but in France most black runs are left to develop sometimes big mogul fields.

Looking at the requirements my suggestion would be the three valleys, probably Courchevel.
snow conditions
@ketya77, that's a really good clear list of your 'musts and wants' I think. The only thing is I'm not clear what sort of lodging preferences you have, if any. Hotel with food included? Apartment or chalet to yourselves, with or without food? Smaller bed & breakfast type accommodation (Pension, Chambre D'Hote, Garni, Gasthaus, etc).

I'm a fan of all the areas mentioned already (unless you want to save money and stay in Whistler, which isn't really meeting your brief).

If it were me...in January...I'd be heading for the Dolomites, for the all round uniqueness of the place and guaranteed piste snow. My only caveat to that would be if you wanted some really tough pistes (possibly what you N. Americans call double diamond trails?), or plenty of off-piste terrain, to challenge your group, then St Anton, Val D'Isere/Tignes, 3 Valleys, come more to the fore.

Good luck deciding. Only 5 days sliding, when travelling that far? Smile
ski holidays
@munich_irish, good post, sound information...just one query...
Quote:

the Dolomities are very beautiful have endless piste skiing and great food but off piste / powder is not a strong point and access not so straight forward.

I don't find access from Venice difficult. There's also Milan, a bit further away.
snow report
Quote:

Also if I were you I would put the cultural aspects higher on your list of priorities!

I agree with that. To undertake a really arduous and rushed trip just to ski groomed runs (plus a chance of some off piste) seems like expensive hard work. The best area for endless "doorstep" piste skiing (and when conditions are right, excellent off piste too) is probably the French Three Valleys. No busses needed.
But the biggest fan of the area could hardly describe it as culturally rewarding. Meribel is only "charming" in contrast to, say, Val Thorens!
snow report
The youth hostel in Zermatt has rooms for 280CHF per night for a 4 person room for Jan 24, I have stayed in the Saas Fee equivalent and it's excellent quality in my opinion. It looks like it is reasonably well located in Zermatt with about a 1000 yard walk to the nearest lift.

https://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/zermatt/
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@munich_irish, good post, sound information...just one query...
Quote:

the Dolomities are very beautiful have endless piste skiing and great food but off piste / powder is not a strong point and access not so straight forward.

I don't find access from Venice difficult. There's also Milan, a bit further away.

The OP said further up that Venice is a much longer flight/more changes and also more expensive, so not preferred. Milan is a long way by trains/busses up to the Dollies!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy