Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing/Boarding with a Speaker in your backpack....

Poster: A snowHead
I shared a lift with someone who had music playing from a speaker a couple of weeks ago. I was most surprised by the playlist. Not at all new or cool.

Faith by George Michael, Moving on up by M People, Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede (I’d heard the song before but had to ask a friend what it was), and finished off with the most banging track of them all… Pump up the Jam by Technotronic.

It’s the longest chair in the ski area!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're all just jealous, myself included, that you are not young enough to be such a knob without realising it. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So....does listening to music improve performance?

There are many personal views and weak evidence.

From the article below: There’s also the discovery that mice who were subjected to 10-hour recitals of Mozart’s K. 448 for 10 weeks were significantly better at navigating a complex maze than ones which had to listen to Beethoven’s Für Elise instead.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200317-does-music-help-us-work-it-depends

And

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/psychology-workout-music/

And then there is the literature from driving, relating music (including different genre) to arousal states and thus to safety:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0305735607079725

And then there are many opinion articles on whether it’s safe to listen to music whilst skiing, and whether it improves performance, but nothing evidence-based....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Dr John wrote:
@Layne, lift stations and bars provide a useful service, and tend to be static.

Sure but the comment was "inflicting your choice of music on others is plain rude." - which suggests the playing of any music to anyone would be rude. I mean what does under do if he goes into a bar and then the bar keep suddenly decides to put some music on? Does he find a rude that they sometimes play music at the lift station? As anyone told him a bit the Folies Shocked Shocked

Laughing Laughing

Bars don't count - you choose to go to a bar and can be influenced by the music they play. In Austria, there have certainly been bars I couldn't tolerate because the music was appalling. SO I'd go somewhere else.
Not many lift stations play music IME but when you are at a lift station there is plenty of mechanical noise etc. You don't really have any expectation of peace.

I do feel broadcasting your music is rude and selfish. I feel that way about people doing it on trains and buses too. You are just imposing your taste on other people when you could easily listen via phones. I think the people who do it are choosing to do it BECAUSE it expands their presence. It is a way of "taking up more space". I think that is obnoxious and also rather pathetic. My observation is that people who do it tend to be "trying a bit too hard" in a number of other ways.
VERY uncool IMO
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The last guy who annoyed me with it (it is a male thing isn't it?) had some horrible speaker at the bottom of his rucsac. It sounded like the speaker was underwater in a fish bowl at the bottom of a mineshaft - sounded REALLY rubbish when he could have been sounding good on phones. So its not about enjoying the music. Its aural manspreading Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster,
Quote:

aural manspreading

That analogy is a thing of great beauty. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster wrote:
So its not about enjoying the music. Its aural manspreading

Mike drop. Nothing more to be said on the subject
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:
Layne wrote:
Dr John wrote:
@Layne, lift stations and bars provide a useful service, and tend to be static.

Sure but the comment was "inflicting your choice of music on others is plain rude." - which suggests the playing of any music to anyone would be rude. I mean what does under do if he goes into a bar and then the bar keep suddenly decides to put some music on? Does he find a rude that they sometimes play music at the lift station? As anyone told him a bit the Folies Shocked Shocked

Laughing Laughing

Bars don't count - you choose to go to a bar and can be influenced by the music they play. In Austria, there have certainly been bars I couldn't tolerate because the music was appalling. SO I'd go somewhere else.
Not many lift stations play music IME but when you are at a lift station there is plenty of mechanical noise etc. You don't really have any expectation of peace.

But some bars it's not contained - it blasts out as you ski past. Some cable cars have piped music. Many lifts are noisy. My point was really that having a hard rule about it doesn't make sense to me.

jedster wrote:
I do feel broadcasting your music is rude and selfish. I feel that way about people doing it on trains and buses too. You are just imposing your taste on other people when you could easily listen via phones. I think the people who do it are choosing to do it BECAUSE it expands their presence. It is a way of "taking up more space". I think that is obnoxious and also rather pathetic. My observation is that people who do it tend to be "trying a bit too hard" in a number of other ways.
VERY uncool IMO

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. My missus doesn't like it if I play music in the kitchen/car a lot of the time. So I have to turn it off because she is the boss. In the Summer I sometimes play stuff in the garden but I do get twitchy about annoying the neighbours. I do see both sides. Personally when skiing I don't feel the need or want it. And if it was happening a lot, all over the place, it could be annoying. As it is, it's more a novelty thing and so doesn't bother me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ask 'em if they've any Mozart innit wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't hear them : too busy listening to Hacienda classics or Funk n Soul in my earbuds. I have bluetoothjacked someone with Ride of the Valkyries before now just to see if I could do it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This impressed me so much when I was in Norway a couple of weeks back I've signed up to Vimeo just to share here:

20230225_135053.mp4 from milzibkit
https://vimeo.com/805521652

I think the guy was skiing on his own. Just after this he casually hopped off the piste to ski down through the trees.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 7-03-23 14:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When there's snow a plenty we'd choose our Snowpark based on what bangin tunes were a blastin.
Normally its would be along the lines of ::
    Arare Park : DnB
    La Chapelle Park : Skater Punk
    Smooth Park : Old Skool Reggae
    Happy Park : No music.

.........so we'd habitually spend most time at the latter 2.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could find yourself sharing a lift with this guy…

http://youtube.com/v/kbNqf12fbEI&feature=share
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, +1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't mind it. I assume that anyone doing it is an idiot so I'd prefer to have fair warning that they're coming up behind me Laughing
latest report
I had a few words with the English front bottom playing music loudly this morning. He agreed he had headphones but refused to use them. He very nearly had a ski wrapped around his face! Why do some people think they should disturb the peace of the mountains?
snow report
Blue Swede was rebooted by being featured in Guardians of the Galaxy
ski holidays
Quote:

He very nearly had a ski wrapped around his face! Why do some people think they should disturb the peace of the mountains?

A gift basket of sweet irony has been dispatched to your location.
latest report
Noise pollution is certainly becoming a problem in ski resorts. The Arpette restaurant in Les Arcs has been taken over by another company and now pollutes a significant part of a major cross roads of the resort.
snow report
@johnE, noise pollution has become a problem EVERYWHERE.
snow conditions
Had 2 lads playing their music loudly in the N’Bahn gondola and, worse, they were singing along. Was tempted to look for Doris Day or Mozart on streaming and play it equally loudly. Alas, there were others in the gondola.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

A gift basket of sweet irony has been dispatched to your location

Beat me to it, @Richard_Sideways, and so much more elegantly. Laughing
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
Cattle prod...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMONIDA-Handheld-Ergonomical-Livestock-Prodder/dp/B0BXCS7K62/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2KURC59TE40FG&keywords=cattle+prod&qid=1678140008&sprefix=catt%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-3&tag=amz07b-21

Whether you target the speaker or the carrier is a personal choice wink

Do we know if EasyJet allow these in hand luggage? Little Angel
latest report
@NoDosh, asking for a friend? Amazon do next day delivery across Europe wink
latest report
I, I mean *my friend* is debating this or perhaps just taking a speaker of my, ahem, his own to play a little Hatebreed (Destroy Everything) or possible some Limp Bizkit (Break Stuff) while putting on my, sorry, his best war hobbit face. Mutually Assured Destruction at it's finest/worst* (delete as appropriate)
snow report
I'm often tempted to play Rammstein tracks at full volume. My favourite band, ever - live. And I'm a veteran of 100's of gigs... All the bands from the (UK) punk era, plus (more recently) Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park & Marilyn Manson Very Happy .
ski holidays
It’s not just skiing. Mind you I’ve only witnessed it skiing a few times in 19 years.
I was walking up to the Tete Blanche mountain hut one summer in Chamonix and someone on the path had a speaker banging music out.
Not sure what’s worse, that, or hearing a drone.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy