Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS vs e2 airbags

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I previously borrowed my buddy's wife's ABS Vario as we had flown and she was not there which I found very comfortable. I had a good few days this season off piste, still a lot to learn but very much enjoying the variety it opens up. I usually drive to the Alps, but do at least one trip with my buddy where I fly. I picked up an ABS a.light on Sportpursuit as it was a good price (almost an impulse buy yesterday), but am vaguely questioning whether I would be better off with an Alpride E2; I saw one in a Scott backpack at Ski Bartlett which was comfortable. I've been reading through the threads here including the travelling with airbags and wondering if I should look for a good price on an E2 or just stick with the ABS a.light for a couple of years as I build up the mileage? Anyone who has used or has both with a view?

I get the difference between being able to do practice deployments with the capacitor (and think it's a good thing), but apart from that, I am not going touring over several days so if I get caught in an avalanche, deploy the bag (and survive), I doubt that I will be pressing on (assuming I don't get caught in another avalanche heading back which would not be a great day).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a look at this thread about ABS.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5101713#5101713
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tradstyle, I think you have answered your own question Very Happy

Over the years I’ve had 2 ABS, 2 Pieps (Black Diamond battery), and currently a Scott E1 40. In the early days ABS were really the only effective product, but they didn’t really develop the product and just sat back and took the money. Their system was licensed to other companies, but there was nothing new. Then came the lighter weight systems, with nothing really new until Alpride introduced their twin cylinder system.

Finally Arcteryx and then Black Diamond released their lithium battery fan packs, which removed the biggest gas powered pack drawbacks of flying and refilling, but the weight still remained. The move to super capacitor systems in the Alpride and Scott systems, refined the packs further, and removed the minor risk of a battery pack being rejected by airport security due the battery size.

About the only feature I wish the Scott E1 had that the Black Diamond has, is the auto deflation, to give an air pocket. Yes, I understand that the whole point of an airbag pack is to prevent you being buried, but if you are, having a large air pocket must help. Since the pack already has everything for auto deflation, I assume it must be a patent issue that stops them implementing it.

As an example of how the market has changed Snow Safe used to have the biggest range of gas packs in the UK, and now they don’t stock any, only carrying battery and capacitor packs.

https://www.snowsafe.co.uk/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Scott E2 has partial auto-deflation after 3 mins: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/backpacks-airbags/scott-patrol-e2-30-electric-blk-detail
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That’s good news Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone seen the Millet E2 bags in the flesh? They look pretty good on paper but always hard to judge quality of build etc without handling them

(I asked this on another thread - one more try before I give up…)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think I've ever seen a Millet pack of any sort, maybe I don't get out enough rolling eyes

I just tried to search for the Millet E2, and found that there is an Ortovox LiTRIC Avalanche Airbag System, built in partnership with Arcteryx that is supposed to weigh 1080gm Shocked

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 6-03-23 13:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the really helpful insight. Veering towards the electronic instead of canister systems.

It may be potential overkill for my current access to good snow (although this was driven by the shocking weather this winter as I only had access to fresh snow for 4 days out of 3 weeks over the season and my wife might divorce me if I go again this year…), but I figure that the pack would last me some years yet as a return on investment; the Sportpursuit deal was at a good price hence the impulse buy.

If of interest, here is a 2019 Gear30 interview with Black Diamond’s chief engineer/designer where he talks about both Jetforce and Alperide:

https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/avalanche-airbag-tech-talk-with-black-diamond-ep-48

https://open.spotify.com/episode/25LwATVooQGRPvxIYgwCPQ?si=AZ2IThP2Tne9F-gE8YPMwg&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A5IeNDgl77fIJ2pz8bycWX0
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You have a perfectly good airbag, why not use what you have?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
WASHOUT wrote:
You have a perfectly good airbag, why not use what you have?

I ordered the ABS from Sportpursuit but don’t think that it has even shipped. If I had it already and it could not be returned, then I would just work with it. There is a cost premium for the electronic of course and I won’t be able to use it for a while anyways so would rather choose the right item for me and then either see if it comes up on sale or second hand / set aside some money every month to pay for it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PowderAdict, Millet’s stuff (incl packs) is generally pretty decent.
I think I saw that the litric packs are subject to a recall?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arno, According to the Ortovox website they are listed as a 23/24 product, so you are probably correct.

It looks like the 1Kg weight is for the airbag unit, not the complete bag, so really in line with the Scott/Alpride packs. I have to say, the leg/crotch strap system is the best I've seen yet, as they have side stepped the requirement to replace the usually badly thoughtout solution with a caribiner.

https://www.ortovox.com/int-en/shop/backpacks/p496660-litric-avabag-litric-tour-40
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry thought you already had it. Yes I would cancel it/send it back for a refund. I currently have a old bca float 8, it's stone age technology but I can fire it off then have a 10 minute work out (foot pump) to re charge the cylinder when this dies (hopefully soon) I will upgrade to e1/2.

Unfortunately you are not going to find a alpride e1/2 type airbag in a bargain corner as they are in big demand (there's a reason people are trying to shift old stock/technology of cheap such as sports pursuit) .
I would phone the piste office to see if he can maybe do a small deal.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@washout thanks for that and I will definitely keep the piste office in mind.

I tried to get the family to agree that a quick jump over to the Alps for a long weekend was just such an obviously good idea but was re educated on the error of my ways. So… may still see about the airbag so that I am ready to go when the reeducation wears off. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WASHOUT wrote:
Unfortunately you are not going to find a alpride e1/2 type airbag in a bargain corner as they are in big demand (there's a reason people are trying to shift old stock/technology of cheap such as sports pursuit).

In general I agree, but worth noting that last year snowsafe had 40% off in its spring sale.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy