Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowchain advice for VW Sharan 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are driving to Serre Chevalier (Monetier) for the first time on the 31st March, I am aware that the requirement to carry snow chains in France is until the 31st March. Are we likely to encounter snow on the roads? We plan to take some chains, tyre size 225/50/17. VW manual only mentions a different tyre size that it compatable with chains. Looking at roofbox.com there is an option of autosocks or Polaire Grip polyeurathane front fitting ladder chains size 80. Anyone have a VW Sharan and can give some advice on what to get? Do the auto socks go on the front and rear wheels? I am assuming the ladder chains just go on the front wheels? Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LauraC, it's quite likely that there isn't clearance behind the wheels to take normal chains - hence why the manual specifies a different size. You may be able to fit front-fitting chains (Spikes Spider or similar) but they are much more expensive.

Socks work well in snow, but can get destroyed rapidly if the roads are only partly covered (which is probably likely in the spring). I've no experience with the rubber-type ladders, i suspect they'll be similar but maybe a little more durable.

Whatever solution you choose, it'll go on the front (drive) wheels only.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LauraC, A very tricky question. There are a few problems here.

The Col du Lautaret is over 2000m and at that time of year it is quite likely to have snow fall. Lots of effort would be spent trying to keep the pass open and clear but there may be some problems if you want to cross in the middle of the night. There may even be snow on your return. The much longer route via Gap will be less affected.

The user manual will be quoting for standard thickness chains it may be possible to fit thin link chains, or then again it may not. Then again the manual may only be talking about fitting cahins to the thinner wheels normally associated with the fitting of winter tyres.

Front fitting chains are very expensive and IMHO not justified or a one off journey.

Snowsocks may work for the descent. Or may not.

The law says you must have chains on the 31st.

I take it that you have already crawled under the car and measured the clearance between the tyre and the suspension/steering apparatus. And of course visited the appropriate owners forum and asked there.

Personnaly I'd gamble and just set off with the proviso that I may change route on receipt of weather information, I may buy some socks, or chains on the way down if necessary.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can always buy chains to fit a tyre size. But that doesn’t mean there’s enough space behind the wheel for them to rotate safely. If your Owners Manual doesn’t say that the tyre size can take chains then it usually means there isn’t the space. However, it’s possible that the manual is just generic and doesn’t cover every variant of the vehicle in question, so …

It might be worth asking your VW service department, as they should know for sure, or can check what’s fitted to the car if they need to.

If it’s not certified then the only chain option for the wheel/tyre setup as it is will be the front-fitting types like the Spike Spiders. New, these start at around £300.

For information, the hidden metrics are the wheel width and offset. The wheel width is what you’ll see as ‘J’ e.g. my ex-factory 8Jx18 wheels (8” wide, 18” diameter) with 245mm wide tyres aren’t on the certified list, but my winter set of 7.5Jx17 wheels (7.5” x 17” diameter) with 225mm width tyres are OK. The former just don’t leave enough space between the back of the tyre and the suspension and brake pipes etc for conventional chains to rotate safely, especially if they’re a bit loose (which is not uncommon). The owners manual will usually quote the 'J' as well as the tyre size because it's the combination of both wheel and tyre that's important, and, obviously, how far they intrude into the free space behind the wheel.

You’ve got to be careful about judging the available space on an unloaded car, at rest on your driveway. It may be a lot less than it looks once the car’s loaded with passengers and luggage and the suspension is bouncing up and down while in motion. If you’re FWD then there’s the added obstruction of the steering assembly as well as the suspension and brake pipes - you’re never going to see the steering in operation, so can find it hard to judge how much free space this uses up when turning.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy